Pro Wrestling Only

WWE TV 5/27-6/2 RAW IS WILL VINCE RESIST TAKING SHOTS AT AEW

sek69

• Replies 123
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've always had the theory that it's not Stephanie heading Creative that was the problem, since we've seen the problems continue long after she's gone, but rather Stephanie becoming an on-air character. There are stories of her being bothered by Mick Foley going off script in their early TV interactions. She also got upset when Dusty Rhodes tried to ad-lib in 2013. I think scripted promos were a way of keeping her from getting eaten alive when she was booked to argue with people like The Rock and Chris Jericho every week.

21 minutes ago, Charles (Loss) said:

I've always had the theory that it's not Stephanie heading Creative that was the problem, since we've seen the problems continue long after she's gone, but rather Stephanie becoming an on-air character. There are stories of her being bothered by Mick Foley going off script in their early TV interactions. She also got upset when Dusty Rhodes tried to ad-lib in 2013. I think scripted promos were a way of keeping her from getting eaten alive when she was booked to argue with people like The Rock and Chris Jericho every week.

Well, you'll be happy to know that she's returning to RAW tonight again as an on-air character! Because the dastardly Money in the Bank briefcase holding Brock Lesnar dared to not announce when he was cashing it in so he has to be punished, or something.

2 hours ago, Coffey said:

Well, you'll be happy to know that she's returning to RAW tonight again as an on-air character! Because the dastardly Money in the Bank briefcase holding Brock Lesnar dared to not announce when he was cashing it in so he has to be punished, or something.

Look, there have to be repercussions when someone announces they're going to do something and then doesn't do it. That undercuts WWE's legendary commitment to delivering what it advertises.

4 hours ago, Charles (Loss) said:

Dave has mentioned more than once that most if not all of the infamous "Stephanie emasculates a guy" segments were designed by Vince to keep her looking strong with no thought put toward the other person involved. I think your theory is pretty spot on, in a lot of ways Vince is just another territory promoter making sure their kid looks good when up against other people more equipped than they are.

Steph seems way more interested in her public speaking engagements and off air corporate role than she does her on air character right now.  Get the feeling it's Vince forcing her to be on TV.  Even when she was doing the stuff with Becky in the build up to mania she didn't seem that in to it at all.

5 hours ago, Charles (Loss) said:

That's an interesting theory. Even then, while scripting is not ideal, it doesn't have to be as awful as it is if not for Vince's weird obsession with bizarre verbiage. It feels like the current situation is just a culmination of Vince quirks and hang-ups coming together.

Speaking of verbiage, WWE quietly fired one of its all-time great voices.

Okay, it was Peter Rosenberg.

But still, I liked him better than Sam "I look like a bunch of rats shit in my bird's nest of a head" Roberts. 

21 hours ago, Coffey said:

The video game poses thing really stuck out to me. It's one of the first things I noticed about Tessa Blanchard - and she's not even in WWE. But it's like she's trying to condition herself the same way. Do everything exactly the same way every single time, so it doesn't feel organic but becomes muscle memory. Come out, turn your ass to the camera, look back over your shoulder and wink. Walk to the ring. Get into the ring. Turn your ass to the camera, look back over your shoulder and wink. 

Every. Single. Time.

I only watched my first Tessa match a few months ago, and I thought she was awesome right from that first match, but, yeah, this was the first thing I noticed about her too. And I was watching her at some podunk indie, where she came out from behind a curtain in a high school gym in front of 50 fans. And it just looked ridiculous. Like she was auditioning for WWE.

10 minutes ago, goodhelmet said:

What happened?

They tried to counter program New Japan and then scheduled it the same night and same town as a huge rugby match. So the ticket sales are probably going to be really bad. 

Though from what I've been reading NXT UK isn't doing well to begin with. 

2 hours ago, KawadaSmile said:

Isn't NXT UK Takeover Cardiff taking place the same day as All Out? 

It is, but during a recent conference call when he was asked about this, Trips was quick to point out that this was something that had been in the pipeline for a long time and they had booked the date and venue before AEW announced All Out. In this case, I honestly don't think they booked an NXT UK Takeover as counter-programming to AEW.  If anything, I would bet they are upset about it.  WWE has outright admitted that NXT appeals to the hardcore fans in their base, and they have to know after the success of All In and Double or Nothing, most of the hardcore fans will not be watching an NXT UK show.  Although technically, due to the time zone differences, I think you could probably watch both.  The first NXT UK streamed live as it happened in the UK, and then later it re-ran in the "prime time" slot.

I've seen some fans online doing the whole "LOL WWE is trying to use NXT UK to compete with AEW" thing, but in this particular case I really don't think that's true.  I think this is just a simple case of bad timing all around.  If/when WWE does decide to counter-program AEW I am guessing they will come out firing with something a bit more appealing than NXT UK.  Having said all that, I liked the first NXT UK Takeover, and I'll be watching this one. 

But I know I'm in the minority.

It's a pretty bad look when when you book a major show completely unaware of a major sporting event in the same city. I don't know what the Brits think of NXT UK,  but something like this makes them look like carpetbaggers.

14 minutes ago, sek69 said:

It's a pretty bad look when when you book a major show completely unaware of a major sporting event in the same city. I don't know what the Brits think of NXT UK,  but something like this makes them look like carpetbaggers.

A lot of the comments online towards NXT UK is "why am I going to pay double the price to see the same shows I was getting a year ago."

One of the most underreported terrible things WWE has done is ruining the UK/European scene.  It’s easy to lose sight of that because of how terrible the main roster shows are, or regular NXT going off a cliff, or doing Saudi shows, etc., but it definitely happened.  A couple years ago, there were several folks here watching and raving about stuff like wXw, PROGRESS, etc. and they have all just run out of steam now because everyone is under a WWE contract.  It was fine when they all had a “working relationship” with WWE but once the contracts and NXT UK stuff came, it took away all of the appeal of those shows.  They might as well be EVOLVE.

NXT UK was designed to kill the UK indy scene. Job well done. Remember when HHH announced they were gonna have NXT's all over the world ? I think that ship has sailed, thankfully, but the plan was basically kill all wrestling that isn't WWE...