Pro Wrestling Only

WWE TV 6/3 - 6/9 NOBODY CARES, AEW IS COMING.

Flyin' Brian

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

We still doing this "keep Roman strong" bit in 2019? 

Also, people complained about Rico but... his matches against Cesaro are really good? Dude was pretty much undefeated when he was tagging with Black and now he's going toe to toe with one half of the at worst 2nd best tag team in WWE. It's really not a bad place for him, specially considering how long he's been in the company.

10 hours ago, Coffey said:

Bray Wyatt's first feud will tell us everything we need to know about how serious WWE are about him this time around.

If they slap him with someone like Matt Hardy or whatever, he's dead in the water. 

I would be shocked if they have any concrete ideas for him beyond doing these vignettes. It reminds me in some ways of a more entertaining version of Make Darren Young Great Again.

12 hours ago, KawadaSmile said:

Also, people complained about Rico but... his matches against Cesaro are really good? Dude was pretty much undefeated when he was tagging with Black and now he's going toe to toe with one half of the at worst 2nd best tag team in WWE. It's really not a bad place for him, specially considering how long he's been in the company.

You reference people complaining about Ricochet, but did anyone really complain about him not having good matches?

Because that seems to be the point you're making, and I don't know that I saw anyone even suggest his matches weren't solid.

You're sort of sidestepping the issue entirely & missing the point completely.

The only complaints I've seen about Ricochet have been about his booking and presentation.

Say what you will about the quality of his matches (I don't think anyone's saying any different, mind you), but he's still presented as just another guy having good matches.

On a roster full of other guys having good matches.

That's it, really. He's presented as just another guy. And so he's perceived as just another guy.

The criticism comes from the idea that Ricochet easily COULD have (and arguably SHOULD have) been presented as something special. As somebody unique. As... Something.

But he's just another guy. Having good matches. On a roster full of guys having good matches.

In an environment where good matches are so commonplace and ineffective that the good match happening right in front of you means no more or no less than the good match before it or the good match that will follow it.

He's having meaningless good matches. I think that's the point. It's a bunch of matches with no point. No purpose. No sense of progress. No advancement opportunity. No upward mobility.

It's just good matches. For the sake of more rematches. Because matches.

15 hours ago, C.S. said:

Seth tries to cut "fiery babyface promos" but he just sounds like he's whining because of his nasally voice.

I'm a casual viewer/lapsed fan at this point, but I really didn't remember him being that bad. That's exactly what he sound like though.

2 hours ago, SomethingSavage said:

You reference people complaining about Ricochet, but did anyone really complain about him not having good matches?

Because that seems to be the point you're making, and I don't know that I saw anyone even suggest his matches weren't solid.

You're sort of sidestepping the issue entirely & missing the point completely.

WWE is impossible to defend on the merits these days, so the only thing left for the apologists is to go after straw men.

WWE just uploaded a bunch of videos on their YouTube page of Kofi's visit to Ghana. Hopefully that means we get a segment on it tonight. The crowds coming out to meet him and meeting the tribal Chief made him look like a huge star.

6 hours ago, SomethingSavage said:

It's just good matches. For the sake of more rematches. Because matches.

The thing is that people think he's being wasted, and that's not even the case. The dude is portrayed as this insanely athletic dude, who can do insane acrobatic feats. 

Like, do people think his ceiling is that of a world champ? Or that he has this amazing charisma when giving promos? The most presence he had as a character was when he wrestled as Prince Puma and even then, Lucha Underground's way of storytelling is something very different from basically any other wrestling promotion.

Like, it would be one thing to call Velveteen Dream up and reduce him to a guy having good matches, but without the promos, outfits and overall presentation. Ricochet, on the other, is a very good wrestler who's pushed by the commentary team as "a real life Marvel hero", and... that's the extent of who he is throughout his career.

I get the overall criticism of WWE having "just guys" in their roster, and I mostly agree, but in this case I get the feeling people are really overrating him.

There's no way you watch ANY of Ricochet's later PWG stuff and come away thinking he's lacking charisma. Dude's a total show pony through & through.

You can knock the Rock ripoff posturing and gesturing if you want, but Ricochet has shown a lot of personality - and I'm speaking strictly in terms of his in-ring performances. Not traditional promos. Not mic work.

Truth be told, the criticism for awhile regarding his LU stuff was that the Prince Puma gimmick hindered and downplayed all that. He was actively hidden and blanketed under the mask. It was a total dampening of his actual personality, which always felt like a big part of his connection to the Reseda audience.

It's fine to have a difference of opinion. But that's what this is, because I don't believe for a second the guy has been used well on the main roster.

Maybe he doesn't have the tools to be a WWE main event act with staying power. Maybe he does. Regardless, this wasn't an ideal introduction to the guy. And just tossing him out there to kill time with filler matches makes him exactly the same as everybody else.

It doesn't matter if the announcers shine him up with lines about being athletic or exceptional, because we've been educated that the announcers are geeks who go back and forth on their word at the drop of a hat anyway. They have zero credibility. Why should anyone take their word for it?

Perception is key. And Ricochet is perceived to be just another guy. Whether you personally hold the opinion of him as a mid-carder or a main eventer doesn't matter if he's already cut off at the knees from day one that way.

At this point, why even bother to sign guys and promote them to the main roster? They're just warm bodies killing TV time with meaningless matches.

It's all cool bubba. We can disagree on most things, and overall this is a pretty minor one. Although I do agree that having a bloated roster may dillute the perception the crowd has of certain wrestler. Too many people doing similar things is not ideal etc.

On the other hand if there's something that this week showed, and that you were correct in saying so for like years, is that Rollins sure ain't the guy to be placed as the top talent. People like him and all but Brock is 100% the one making this program entertaining. 

54 minutes ago, KawadaSmile said:

It's all cool bubba. We can disagree on most things, and overall this is a pretty minor one. Although I do agree that having a bloated roster may dillute the perception the crowd has of certain wrestler. Too many people doing similar things is not ideal etc.

On the other hand if there's something that this week showed, and that you were correct in saying so for like years, is that Rollins sure ain't the guy to be placed as the top talent. People like him and all but Brock is 100% the one making this program entertaining. 

Yeah. All's good, man. It's all in the spirit of discussion.

Seth felt buzzworthy for a moment there. Whether he was actually gaining any steam or not is irrelevant, because he SEEMED to be trending.

And all of that - every last bit of it - was owed to the fact that he was running that mid-card spot. He owned it. I never enjoy his matches much, because I just don't care for the dude's work.

But I won't deny that he had found a comfortable, suitable spot for himself there as king of the mid-card.

Going back even further, the tag team with Dean was tremendous. I actually DID enjoy those matches. Seth is much more tolerable as a worker in tag team settings.

So of course they strip away all those trappings and place him back in the main event scene - the one spot he has failed miserably time & time again. This is something like the fourth or fifth time they've tried it. The guy just isn't cut out for it.

Seth would be a passable modern performer, nestled nicely into a mid-card program or a reliable tag team somewhere on these cards. But they're insistent on putting him up top, where he's essentially a drowning man in waters way over his head.

29 minutes ago, KawadaSmile said:

What are people's thoughts on Aleister's promos? 

Befuddling nonsense.

Lars Sullivan, on the other hand, is a surprisingly decent promo. 

20 minutes ago, KawadaSmile said:

Sonya Deville. My God

Most beautiful woman in all of WWE, and it's not even close.