Pro Wrestling Only

WWE Super Showdown 2019: Come for the Wrestling, but no stay for the executions

The Thread Killer

Just now, The Thread Killer said:

If you skipped this show, at Stomping Grounds you get to see Rollins vs. Corbin and Kofi vs. Ziggler AGAIN!

Hey, remember when people said the prospect of AEW would force Vince to step up his game. Yeah, I laughed then too.

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

9 minutes ago, The Thread Killer said:

. Uh, the guy who won...I assume he's from Saudi Arabia but I literally have no idea who he is. Mansoor?  The fans have gone mental for this guy.  Some kids were actually crying. So yeah, based on his post-match promo this guy is from Saudi Arabia and he's the big home town hero.

He's shown up on both versions of NXT recently (US and UK),  he wasn't too bad actually. Way too green to be getting a National Superhero type push of course, but they could have picked worse guys. 

So the Main Event is Goldberg vs. Taker, a match I would have been somewhat interested in seeing 20 years ago.  Goldberg is probably rusty as hell and can't go long, and we're still unsure if Taker can go at all anymore, so this could be scary bad.  If they keep it short with lots of gaga, it could be okay...I guess. Like the match Goldy had with Brock at Wrestlemania.  If they do something like that, it could conceivably work. It's taking Goldberg so long to get to the ring, it's like that famous scene in Spinal Tap. Good lord, these entrances are as long as Triple H/Orton.  Just kidding, nothing is that long.

4 minutes ago, sek69 said:

He's shown up on both versions of NXT recently (US and UK),  he wasn't too bad actually. Way too green to be getting a National Superhero type push of course, but they could have picked worse guys. 

It's akin to Tiger Ali Singh winning the Koweit Cup in 97...

3 minutes ago, The Thread Killer said:

So the Main Event is Goldberg vs. Taker, a match I would have been somewhat interested in seeing 20 years ago.  Goldberg is probably rusty as hell and can't go long, and we're still unsure if Taker can go at all anymore, so this could be scary bad.  If they keep it short with lots of gaga, it could be okay...I guess. Like the match Goldy had with Brock at Wrestlemania.  If they do something like that, it could conceivably work. It's taking Goldberg so long to get to the ring, it's like that famous scene in Spinal Tap. Good lord, these entrances are as long as Triple H/Orton.  Just kidding, nothing is that long.

Is the Jerichoholic Ninja there?

1 minute ago, Herodes said:

HOT TAKE but not really since Tiger was a Canadian of Indian origin winning a tournament in a Middle Eastern Gulf country as opposed to a Saudi winning in Saudi

He had Ali in his name though, so the WWE office probably thought he was arabic or something back then... Anyway, I was more thinking of "That guy will never win anything anywhere else in the actual roster.".

The Main Event actually started off fairly well.  The fans were crazy into it.  The problem is, both guys gassed out pretty much right away.  Goldberg bled. They started trading finishers but screwing them up, badly.  Goldberg couldn't get Taker over into the Jackhammer, and dumped Taker on his head.  Taker looked pissed.  Of the two of them, Taker looked better, but that's not saying much. There were a couple of times Goldberg ended up leaning over the ropes, sucking wind.  There were a few botches, Taker gets the win with a terrible chokeslam.They say it was 100 degrees in that ring, and if you add that to a couple of 50 + retired guys, you get...that match.

End of show.

That was pretty much what I expected.  What I didn't expect is that they'd think it was a good idea to do those two title matches again at Stomping Grounds, because...ugh.

11 minutes ago, Herodes said:

HOT TAKE but not really since Tiger was a Canadian of Indian origin winning a tournament in a Middle Eastern Gulf country as opposed to a Saudi winning in Saudi

Not to mention Mansoor is probably already better at wrestling at this early stage than Tiger ever was. 

Also on top of everything else going on with that show, it's funny how it slipped under the radar that they were doing an outdoor show in JUNE in Saudi Arabia. 

I can't even believe they tried the Jackhammer. After Taker couldn't get up for the powerslam reversal in the Taker/Roman match a few years ago, it's pretty clear Taker can't take those types of moves anymore. It was clear though that Goldberg was beyond gassed and maybe had a concussion from headbutting the door during his entrance/running into the ring post and bleeding hardway. That match was an entertaining trainwreck at least unlike most of these other old man matches.

2 minutes ago, brocklock said:

I can't even believe they tried the Jackhammer. After Taker couldn't get up for the powerslam reversal in the Taker/Roman match a few years ago, it's pretty clear Taker can't take those types of moves anymore. It was clear though that Goldberg was beyond gassed and maybe had a concussion from headbutting the door during his entrance/running into the ring post and bleeding hardway. That match was an entertaining trainwreck at least unlike most of these other old man matches.

So I should definitely watch it, right?

33 minutes ago, brocklock said:

Yeah I mostly see people getting on Goldberg for the match, but he spiked Goldberg for that tombstone. Neither guy should be wrestling.

Yeah when it comes to the whole issue of being gassed and unable to properly execute moves, there is more than enough blame to go around for both guys in that match.  I don't think one was worse than the other.