Pro Wrestling Only

AEW on TNT

flyonthewall2983

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

5 minutes ago, joeg said:

Yes, I have unfortunately.  And no its not, turn on Monday Night Raw, name a single man or woman on that show who isn't credible as a professional athlete. 

Yeah, because Monday Night Raw should be and is the reference of what a great pro-wrestling product looks like in 2019... It's like, so damn good. :wacko:

7 minutes ago, NotJayTabb said:

I like the other guys mentioned, but Chuck Taylor is the dictionary definition of "unathletic comedy wrestler"

He's certainly got a comedy edge to him, but unathletic ? Maybe he doesn't look like Kota Ibushi, but the guy can work. I thought that was the most important today, as opposed to look like a crossfit guy (see what I did ?).

Monday Night Raw is borderline unwatchable, but that's not the point. Point is there aren't any non athletes in WWE, or NJPW, So looking like an athlete or having an athletic background is still very much a requirement for being a pro wrestler in a major promotion. 

And if you think Chuckie T is credible as a professional athlete or that Chuckie T is a good worker,  and just a generic indie mid card guy, I don't know what to say to you. 

3 minutes ago, El-P said:

He's certainly got a comedy edge to him, but unathletic ? Maybe he doesn't look like Kota Ibushi, but the guy can work. I thought that was the most important today, as opposed to look like a crossfit guy (see what I did ?).

I guess the difference in opinion stems from our views of him as a worker, I think he's generally lousy. To me, he's a guy with weak looking offence who's too busy getting his wacky schtick in to adequately sell. Different strokes for different folks, I guess.

3 minutes ago, NotJayTabb said:

I guess the difference in opinion stems from our views of him as a worker, I think he's generally lousy. To me, he's a guy with weak looking offence who's too busy getting his wacky schtick in to adequately sell. Different strokes for different folks, I guess.

Well, I can understand why he would not appeal to everyone. I'm not sure I quite got to him the first times I saw him either. 

I'm within driving distance of the DC show and would love to go but I won't be there for 2 reasons, I'm already going to DC later that week for a concert and the fact it's a Wednesday.  I think that fact is going to be a kicker for them in lots of markets.  These aren't going to be drive-in crowds, that is like THE worst day of the week to draw anything but the people that live in that town.  Yes it will be very interesting to see how ticket sales go after week one.  I'm sure there are others out there like me that can't wait to pay to go to one of their shows but has ZERO interest in paying for or watching virtually any other current wrestling.

As for the debate about the make up of the roster, it's how they are perceived.  If you're selling your company based on the workrate & the guys being given more freedom, I'm concerned that 1/3 to 1/2 of their TV time is going to be filler with the comedy shtick.  Putting indy looking guys out there that look unathletic could be a bad first impression, which I think was the intention of the poster above.  You also can't deliver 2 hours a week of **** matches as that will burn people out and make nothing special after a while, so I am concerned about them finding a good mix.  After watching the 3 shows they've done so far, the most glaring thing I saw is they need good, solid workers in the midcard that know how to put a match together.  They have far too many guys who are going to have meaningless car crash matches and you can't build around that either.

IMPACT has a decent but limited roster, and they put a super easy to watch, really solid 2 hours TV show every week, with usually a very good main event. It's not that hard. People are making it seem way more difficult than it is. AEW has a deeper roster than IMPACT, it shouldn't be much of a problem. Of course, the week to week booking is something else. D'Amore & Callis are obviously very good at it, this is the big unknown as far as AEW goes.

Omega and the Bucks are facing Jericho and two mystery partners on the debut show.  Any rumors as to who these partners will be?  Jericho is promising "you're not gonna to believe who I'm planning on bringing in!"  I'd say the key word there is "planning".

20 minutes ago, Log said:

Omega and the Bucks are facing Jericho and two mystery partners on the debut show.  Any rumors as to who these partners will be?  Jericho is promising "you're not gonna to believe who I'm planning on bringing in!"  I'd say the key word there is "planning".

I'd mark out so hard if it was Enzo and Cass.

4 minutes ago, SirEdger said:

I'm thinking LAX

This seems like the logical answer. Once I heard their Impact deal was up, I was assuming AEW is where they would land. Vince already has his "urban tag team" quota filled with the Street Profits and the Usos. 

11 minutes ago, SirEdger said:

I'm thinking LAX

Does  "you're not gonna to believe who I'm planning on bringing in!" really fit LAX though? There's nothing shocking about them or that announcement.

It seems to fit Enzo and Cass more, but I doubt it's them either.

20 minutes ago, C.S. said:

Does  "you're not gonna to believe who I'm planning on bringing in!" really fit LAX though? There's nothing shocking about them or that announcement.

It seems to fit Enzo and Cass more, but I doubt it's them either.

It doesn't have for me to be "OMG, that's so out of the blue" to be a successful surprise. LAX has a bit of history with the Bucks per the first Jericho Cruise so it'd make sense.

Personally, if I'm AEW,  I don't want anything to do with Enzo Amore in any way, shape or form. He's not worth the headache. As for Cass, I'd wait to see him pick up some steam on the indy scene and see how he does mentally before thinking about signing him. There's always that temptation to have that tall hoss Cass vs Luchasaurus match down the road.

They will probably joke about it on BTE since the gimmick there is that the Young Bucks are terrible executives who sign bad contracts, but I doubt they would ever actually bring them in. Maybe Cass since he's seemed to have done a babyface turn by opening up about his battles with mental health, but Enzo is the wrestling equivalent to the bottom of a Chernobyl reactor.  Since they are basically a package deal, I would expect AEW to pass on them. 

For the record, I don't think AEW hiring Enzo and Cass is really a good idea.  But if they did, I'd laugh my ass off at the entertainment it would provide.  There are certain fans who trumpet every single thing AEW does as brilliant - whether it is or not.  Watching AEW fanboys twist themselves into pretzels trying to justify AEW signing Enzo and Cass would likely entail lots of "they might not be good wrestlers but they're entertaining" and "they don't fit the prototypical old school model of a wrestler but Pro Wrestling has evolved" arguments, which I find endlessly amusing.  Similar to those ridiculous comments that Jordynne Grace made on Twitter lately that have gotten her so much attention.  Hell, AEW signed Marko Stunt to a contract and they already use Sonny Kiss, The Evil Librarian, Evil Uno, Michael Nakazawa, Orange Cassidy and Chuck Taylor, why not go all in and sign Enzo and Cass? If you're not going to take the sport seriously, why not sign all the clowns? They could actually have an entire Clown Division and instead of a title belt, if you win you get to wrestle in big floppy clown shoes and a rainbow wig.

Realistically, the mystery partners most likely won't be Enzo and Cass, if for no other reason than what @sek69 said.  Enzo's reputation is so toxic at this point, I can't see anybody wanting to work with him.  In fact, a story came out a couple of months ago regarding how he had serious heat with Jericho when they were with WWE, so I especially don't see him showing up as a surprise partner for Jericho.

2 minutes ago, El-P said:

This entire conversation is dumb as fuck. Amazing how some people really want to hate on AEW and its fans, just because... because who the fuck knows.

Anyway, yeah, LAX would be really cool.

But don't you know, it's the people who don't watch AEW who know exactly what they need to do to be successful. 

Just now, Migs said:

But don't you know, it's the people who don't watch AEW who know exactly what they need to do to be successful. 

Of course they do. Can't wait for the first TNT show so we know exactly why it's a failure and why the roster and the booking sucks (after exactly 5 shows).

I dunno, Enzo and Cass were both college athletes, and Enzo knows how to really talk and get heat. They struggle to put matches together and both look green at times, but that's too be expected from two guys who were put on national television after less than two years in the business. The problem with both of those guys is their baggage.  

As for the Janela Enzo thing, I honestly think Janela should have been let go over that. Not that he got into a drunken fight. I want wrestlers who have a gimmick as being a wild crazy guy to be getting into drunken fights, makes the whole thing more believable. Janela is supposed to be this wild crazy guy who was a jueville delinquent and credits wrestling for turning his life around. The one thing I liked about Janela was that he was somebody I honestly bought into his character and his schtick. That fight just made him look like such a pussy that is completely unable to handle himself. It shatters the image I had of him as this bad dude.