Pro Wrestling Only

WWE Stomping Grounds - NO BUYS~

FMKK

The epitome of a filler show with flat rematches and, more worryingly for WWE, a less than full arena. There's a chance that the workers go out to put on a great show to confound expectations but looking at the card it's hard to see where the good matches are coming from. Might be morbidly interesting.

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

20 minutes ago, WingedEagle said:

Can anyone give me reasons not to skip this show?  I've got no plans tonight and yet this is still looking like the first Network PPV I'll proactively skip.

There's too much other stuff to watch that might actually be interesting to waste time on this.

35 minutes ago, WingedEagle said:

Can anyone give me reasons not to skip this show?  I've got no plans tonight and yet this is still looking like the first Network PPV I'll proactively skip.

It might be amusingly terrible as opposed to boring

No one needs to watch this pile of shit and shame on you if you do when you could be watching Crockett Cup 86 or Mid South New Years Eve 85 or just binge some of the latest Mid Atlantic drop. The Becky/Seth/Kofi era is the lowest the WWE has ever sunk, there’s no excuse to watch these geeks.

When I started the watch-along thread for Super Showdown, I admitted I'm basically housebound right now due to illness, so I'll watch pretty much anything that's on television.  Besides, it's always fun watching a show and dissecting it with the crew at PWO. 

But as it happens, Sunday night is a good night for television, for me.  There's The Great Food Truck Race on the Food Network, Fear The Walking Dead on AMC and now I've got that great new crime drama City on a Hill, with Kevin Bacon on Showtime.  My viewing schedule for this evening is booked up, and the positive thing all three of those shows have in common is that none of them will feature Baron Corbin in any capacity.

Sometimes, I'll just record other shows on the DVR and watch the WWE show anyhow, but I don't think I'm going to do that tonight.  I still have PTSD from Super Showdown.  That may literally be one of the worst shows I've ever seen...and this card has rematches from that show. I have zero desire to sit through another title match featuring Corbin or Dolph Ziggler.  As much as I enjoy being critical of WWE, I need to at least like the product on a peripheral level and get some basic enjoyment out of it.  I don't think I can muster up even the bare minimum degree of enthusiasm required to sit through this show, so it's most likely going to be a pass for me.

Note to WWE HQ: when the guy who's bedridden can't be bothered to watch the PPV, you're in trouble.  Thread Killer, here's hoping you're on the the road to a full recovery.  Your work on Super Showdown (I haven't seen any of the Saudi shows although taking place during the work day didn't allow me the good fortunate to actively skip them, though I never went back to rewatch them) made it a fun read here.  

Perhaps I'll keep the PPV up and mute don the laptop and check in for Ricochet/Joe or something along those lines, although at this point I don't even know why I'd expect that match to be given time or capitalize on however minutes out of 240 they're allotted.

It really can't be understated how much the Baron Corbin era has done to drive me away from TV.  I've barely watched the last two weeks after being a nearly religious viewer for what seems like decades. 

20 minutes ago, WingedEagle said:

Note to WWE HQ: when the guy who's bedridden can't be bothered to watch the PPV, you're in trouble.  Thread Killer, here's hoping you're on the the road to a full recovery.  Your work on Super Showdown (I haven't seen any of the Saudi shows although taking place during the work day didn't allow me the good fortunate to actively skip them, though I never went back to rewatch them) made it a fun read here. 

Thanks brother, I really appreciate the kind words.  I really hesitated for the longest time about even mentioning the fact I was sick here at PWO, because I know we generally don't post about those types of things (hence the name Pro Wrestling Only.) But in my own way I have made "friends" with a lot of guys here.  Plus, if I suddenly disappear, people will know why.  It turns out I have the exact same symptoms and condition that Ric Flair had recently - except mine is genetic and was not brought on by a lifetime of alcohol abuse.  (Actually, come to think about it...)  Maybe like Lou Gehrig's disease, they'll name the condition after Flair, and I can tell people I have Ric Flair disease.  That would give me a medical excuse for drinking to excess, sleeping with thousands of women, wearing nothing but a robe and exposing myself to stewardesses.

Not only is it a less than full arena it is less than full arena with sections of the building tarped off.  That's how bad it is

Ricochet vs Samoa Joe is really the only bright spot for me.  Given that they have 4 hours to kill with this lineup I would think it gets time.  New Day vs Sami & Kevin will be the usual very good pre-show match.   But yeah the rest of the show is basically built on the dread of what awful things could happen

1.  Is Bayley AND Becky Lynch losing tonight?  It would be amazingly stupid but I fully expect Bayley to lose tonight

2.  A main event with Baron Corbin and a probable Brock run in

3.  A cage match with Dolph Ziggler

Well, since it's our provincial holiday weekend here in Quebec, tonight I'll have a drink for The Thread Killer. Here's to your full recovery ASAP. In my case, I'll probably watch some baseball instead and see later on Twitter if it's that bad of a show.

I’m sure there will be lots of indy template matches with lots of pretty moves and kickouts but it’s all meaningless shit and a complete irrelevance when you have 4 hours of fantastics and sheepherders and horsemen and buzz sawyer vs Koko b Ware right there at the CROCKETT CUP 1986.