• Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Great Lakes Championship Wrestling House Show: 7/14/1984

live from Chicago, IL

Scott Hall defeated Bubba Smith at 4:56

Don Carsen, Frank Morrell, Danny Fargo and George Weingeroff defeated Angelo Poffo, Lanny Poffo, Blue Demon Jr. and Kelly Kiniski at 18:41

Brad Rheingans defeated Chris Markoff at 9:13

Submission Match:
Killer Karl Krupp defeated Baron Von Raschke at 11:41

Hacksaw Jim Duggan defeated Bruiser Brody at 15:37

AWA National Tag Team Title Match:
The Fantastics (c) defeated Iron Sheik and Ivan Koloff at 13:31 by DQ

Chicago Street Fight:
Buzz Sawyer defeated Brett Wayne Sawyer at 20:19

Main Event:
Great Lakes Heavyweight Title Match:
Harley Race (c) defeated Jim Brunzell at 37:09

Show opens with absolute chaos!!! Sawyers, Duggan and Brody destroy the studio. This will defiantly get eyes on Great Lakes. 

Verne comes out to ref the match and Duggan wins it with his 2x4. These feuds are far from over.

New champ Harley Race comes out and says he's ready for all comers.

1984 Chevy Camaro... Sweet! Cant wait to see if Michaels can go 10 minutes with Masked Superstar and make it to the tournament. 

Fun main event as Koloff wins the elimination match. Koloff might have earned himself a title shot. 

Great Lakes is off and running! Great job! 

Absolute chaos on tv this week....I'm sure this would have had everyone glued to their televisions. 

I love the 10 minute challenge from Superstar to Shawn Michaels.....this is a great way to start building Michaels....young guys don't need to win....they just need to survive to start getting the crowd behind them....I like it!

Great job convincing Brody to put over Duggan

I'm thinking Harley vs. Brunzell made for quite the main event in Chicago!

Chaos reigns supreme in the Great Lakes!! When it brings cranky old Verne out of the woodwork, you know it's bad!!

Amidst the chaos, you have Harley casually standing around watching it all burn around him, not giving a shit, cause he's the champ. Perfect Harley! Would have loved to seen that match with Brunzell.

Scott Hall shows up and picks up a win. In time, he could be a player here.

Krupp heating up with the big win over the Baron.

and the war between the Sawyers is gonna be fun!

Really enjoying the direction from Great Lakes so far, and I love how the TV seems so wild as it’s a great way to attract viewers at this stage. Buzz Sawyer is such a fun guy to build things around because he comes across so unhinges and him at the center of the Sawyer/Sawyer stuff is awesome. Also I’ll always love an Ivan Koloff push, cause Ivan rules.

Great Lakes Championship Wrestling Weekend House Show Report:

July 18th

live from Akron, OH

12 Man Battle Royal (Winner gets $2,500)

Charlie Fulton was tossed by Masked Superstar
Chris Markoff was tossed by Scott Hall
Masked Superstar was eliminated by Ricky Gibson and Shawn Michaels
Shawn Michaels was tossed by Frank Morrell
Brad Rheingans was eliminated by Frank Dusek
Frank Dusek was tossed by Scott Hall
Frank Morrell was tossed by Scott Hall
Mike George was tossed by Scott Hall
Taras Bulba was eliminated by Ricky Gibson
Ricky Gibson was tossed by Killer Karl Krupp
Killer Karl Kurp was tossed by Scott Hall

Winner: Scott Hall

Angelo and Lanny Poffo defeated Mike Miller and Rip Oliver at 10:28
Hacksaw Jim Duggan defeated Kurt Von Hess at 4:09

Capture the Flag Match:
High Flyers defeated Iron Sheik and Ivan Koloff at 17:36

Main Event:
The Fantastics (c) defeated Danny Fargo and George Weingeroff at 12:20

July 19th

live from Wausau, WI

Marty Jannetty, Ricky Gibson and Shawn Michaels defeated Butch Moffot, Roger Kirby and Tom Stanton at 8:43
Mike Miller and Rip Oliver defeated Charlie Fulton and Kelly Kiniski at 7:00
Scott Hall defeated Frank Dusek at 10:59
Killer Karl Krupp defeated Angelo Poffo at 8:21

Harley Race (c) defeated Dick The Bruiser at 11:42

Main Event:
Brett Wayne Sawyer, Hacksaw Jim Duggan and The Crusher defeated Buzz Sawyer, Masked Superstar and Ravishing Rick Rude at 36:45

July 20th

live from Middleton, WI

Killer Karl Krupp and Kurt Von Hess defeated Charlie Fulton and Mike George at 5:19
Scott Hall defeated Larry Hamilton at 6:28
Ted Allen defeated Shawn Michaels at 9:01
Ravishing Rick Rude defeated Greg Gagne at 13:01
Iron Sheik and Ivan Koloff defeated Angelo and Lanny Poffo at 15:51

Main Event:
No. 1 Contenders Match:
Brett Wayne Sawyer defeated Buzz Sawyer at 18:43
Note: Hacksaw Jim Duggan nailed Buzz Sawyer with the 2x4 which allowed Brett to pick up the victory.

Nice set of shows.  Hacksaw with the 2x4 to Sawyer.  Would love to see a long feud between those 2.

Like the creativity here with matches like Capture the Flag.

Nice to see Ted Allen having some success and not rushing the young Shawn Michaels in Middleton.  Also like the beginnings of Michaels and Jannetty in the 6 Man tag match

TV Commercial

Great Lakes Championship Wrestling presents the Super Bowl of Professional Wrestling.  A live 2 day event coming to you from Comiskey Park on September 6th and 7th.

Featuring:

AWA World Heavyweight Champion Ted Dibiase...

AWA World Tag Team Champions the Road Warriors...

The 8th Wonder of the World Andre the Giant...

"Wildfire" Tommy Rich...

Masked Superstar...

and much more...

Tickets on sale now!

Love the push Scott Hall is getting. 

Poffo's continue to be a cohesive family unit. 

Cant say the same about the Sawyers LOL. Even with Duggan's interference, still a big win for Brett.

The young guys are picking up some wins.

Harley gets in a nice title defense against Dick the Bruiser.

Look at that lineup for the Super Bowl of wrestling! Oh man cant wait for that 2 day extravaganza! 

Great Lakes All-Star Wrestling #3: 7/21/1984

taped from Chicago, IL

Show opens with Gordie Solie and Captain Frank Dusek standing in the control booth.

Solie: Welcome to the show. As you can see we are broadcasting from the control booth again this week. They haven't quite fixed the damages from last week's brawl. Actually why don't we show you some highlights of that melee now.

Clips play of Duggan, Brody and the Sawyers brawling through the studio last week.

Solie: It was quite the scene. Now, I would like to announce my new broadcast partner, Captain Frank Dusek. He will be joining me on the show every week and providing insights from his expertise as a professional wrestler. Frank is quite a accomplished wrestler. He even held the top singles championship in the state of Florida at one time.

Dusek: Don't forget that I also held one half of the tag team championship in Texas at one point as well. But I am happy to be here. I am looking forward to not getting beat up in the ring and watching some matches. 

Solie: We have a big show for you this week. As you saw last week Masked Superstar and Shawn Michaels are in the main event. If Shawn Michaels can survive 10 minutes he will get into that 16 man tournament for the Chevrolet Camaro happening on July 28th in Detroit, Michigan.

Dusek: I happen to be in that tournament. These guys are going to be fighting for scraps because that car is as good as mine. I like Shawn Michaels, he has a lot of upside and promise but I think Masked Superstar puts him away before the 10 minutes.

Solie: Also on the show will be Scott Hall, Don Carsen and Larry Hamilton and Great Lakes Heavyweight Champion Harley Race.

Masked Superstar walks into the control booth.

Superstar: I think I might have heard my name being taken in vain in here. I was just stopping in to remind everyone to set their watches for the main event today. That young punk Shawn Michaels isn't going 10 minutes with me. That car is as good as mine. A classy vehicle such as that deserves a really special talent and you're looking at him right here.

Superstar points at Frank Dusek.

Superstar: I saw your name on the tournament sheet. You should stick to announcing because you aren't getting past me either.

Solie: Let's head to the ring for our first match of the week.

Scott Hall defeated Roger Kirby at 4:52

Hall overpowered Kirby early and worked over his arm. Hall slammed Kirby to the mat and hit a top rope elbow drop to pick up the victory.

Scott Hall stops in the control booth with Gordie Solie and Frank Dusek.

Solie: This young man has made quite the splash since coming to Great Lakes Championship Wrestling. He is undefeated in the ring and he even picked up a cool $2,500 winning a battle royal during the week. How does it feel to be enjoying so much success?

Hall: It feels great Mr. Solie. You know, you train for this moment for a really long time and you just kind of hope you don't embarrass yourself. But this has been great. I was able to pay off my parent's mortgage with that battle royal money. Verne Gagne and Wally Karbo are also back their saying there might be some title shots in the near future for me if I keep winning. Can you imagine that, I come in here and pay off my parent's mortgage for them and then you're telling me that I might wrestle a legend like Harley Race for a championship belt. I'm loving life right now.

Solie: And we're keep rooting for you ever step of the way.

Don Carsen and Larry Hamilton defeated Charlie Fulton and Marty Jannetty at 7:19

Jannetty gave Carsen and Hamilton a lot of trouble with his speed and agility. He caught both with a series of dropkicks and effectively used the arm drag to keep both men off balance. Experience won out though as they managed to knock Jannetty out of the ring and hit a double gutbuster on Fulton to pick up the win.

Solie: We discussed this last week but Tommy Rich has still not been cleared to wrestle. We have him on the phone to discuss his injuries and future in the Great Lakes region. Tommy can you hear us?

Rich: Yes, I am here.

Solie: Can you tell us the extent of your injuries and when you think you might be able to wrestle.

Rich: Well, I had a pretty severe cut from what Masked Superstar hit me with. The AWA is saying the video doesn't show anything conclusive but I swear he hit me with a pair of brass knuckles. Anyways, they had to stitch me up and the stitches don't come out until Wednesday. They are saying August 1st, I will be cleared to wrestle. They want to make sure the cut is fully healed before they let me back into the ring. They say if I don't I would be at risk of more doctor's stoppages. 

Solie: What are your plans when you get back. You obviously want a rematch for that Great Lakes Heavyweight Championship with Harley Race but you also have issues with the Masked Superstar.

Rich: Gold before anger my man. The second the doctors okay me, I am signing a contract to face off with Harley Race. We have already agreed in principal to have the match on August 2nd in Minneapolis. I just have to be cleared by the doctors to sign the contract. This is the thing. Harley Race and I have fought all over this country and it always comes down to Harley Race vs. Tommy Rich. This is the thing, I respect the man. You look at Harley Race, he's done it all and he's won it all. The man doesn't duck anyone. I called him up from the hospital and asked for a rematch and he said yes without a moment's hesitation. Harley Race is the man and he has no equal in wrestling. That's why I am going to head into August 2nd and beat him to within an inch of his life and take that championship belt from him. That's how you show a man like Harley Race the respect he deserves. 

Harley Race defeated Mike George at 6:17

Race and George exchanged wristlocks and headlocks in the early goings. Race got the advantage and went to town. Race hit a vertical suplex to get the pinfall.

Buzz Sawyer is in the control booth with Gordie Solie and Frank Dusek.

Solie: A man that controversy seems to follow Buzz Sawyer.

Sawyer: I don't know why you say that. I'm just trying to earn a living like anyone else would. It's not my fault that the deck was stacked against me in Georgia and cost me the AWA National Championship and it's not my fault that you kept showing the clip last week.

Solie: I showed it once actually...

Sawyer: That's not the point. I will say, I have a real problem with how Verne Gagne handles things here. Do you know he fined me $5,000 for last week Do you know he banned Bruiser Brody from the area for trashing the locker room in Chicago last week Do you know he only fined Duggan and my brother $2,500 a piece for that same brawl?

Solie: I mean, you did kind of start it...

Sawyer: You're really getting brave now that you have Verne's protection. 

Solie: I have here that you and Brett have signed a Loser Leaves Town Cage Match for July 28th in Detroit.

Sawyer: That's right, Brett and I can't exist in the same promotion. I'm going to send him packing and I am going to send him away as an absolutely bloody mess. He didn't have my back when Butch Reed and Iceman Parsons were screwing me out of the National Title. Brett, we are blood. You help blood in situations like that. Instead you hid away in the back and now my belt is gone and I probably won't ever get it back. So next week Brett, pack your bags because I'm sending you out of here.

Main Event:

Masked Superstar vs. Shawn Michaels ended in a 10 minute time limit draw

Michaels got off to a hot start and even almost caught Superstar with a sunset flip. Superstar caught Michaels with a big clothesline and applied a headlock. At about the 6 minute mark Ricky Gibson came to ringside and started cheering on Michaels and shouting advice. At around the 7 minute mark Superstar started trying to put Michaels away. He went for the Cobra Clutch a few times and Michaels managed to slip away. Superstar hit a piledriver and Michaels looked to be out but he managed to get a foot on the rope. Superstar finally locked in the Cobra Clutch but time ran out before the referee could finish checking Michaels. Michaels is in the tournament.

Ricky Gibson hops in the ring and pulls Masked Superstar off of Michaels. They have a staredown for a few moments when suddenly two masked men blindside Gibson from behind. Solie calls them the Super Destroyers. They put the boots to Ricky Gibson and Masked Superstar applies the Cobra Clutch to Gibson. Masked Superstar gives a few stomps to Michaels before leaving with the Super Destroyers.

Solie: It looks like the Masked Superstar has added some partners and that doesn't bode well for anyone in Great Lakes. Join us next week for more of the most exciting wrestling in the world today. We have a huge main event for you as the AWA National Tag Team Champions The Fantastics will be defending those belts against Danny Fargo and George Weingeroff. Also in action will be the High Flyers, the Poffos and the Super Destroyers. See you next week.

Nice work using Dusek for both commentary and as a wrestler! That should lead to some interesting situations for Gordon Solie!!

Scott Hall is on a roll, and while young in his career, with his size and build, certainly makes a believable contender.

Love the phone call with Tommy Rich. I'd forgotten about when they used to call the injured babyface, and they had the worst possible connection, even though he was probably just backstage the whole time!

Harley beats The Timekeeper, and while Rich is all fired up, he is right, Harley is the man! So good luck Tommy.

Oh Damn, Brett vs Buzz, Loser Leaves Town! Very Interesting.

Shawn Michaels manages to last the ten minutes, but then he and his new buddy Ricky Gibson get decimated by Superstar and his new buddies the Super Destroyers.

Business is certainly picking up here in the Great Lakes! Looking forward to the tournament!

Great Lakes Championship Wrestling House Show: 7/21/1984

live from Milwaukee, WI

Scott Hall defeated Ted Allen at 5:01
Killer Karl Krupp defeated Shawn Michaels at 8:33
High Flyers defeated Danny Fargo and George Weingeroff at 13:40
Buzz Sawyer defeated Ricky Gibson at 11:47
Iron Sheik and Ivan Koloff defeated Angelo and Lanny Poffo at 12:00
Ravishing Rick Rude defeated The Crusher at 7:16

The Fantastics (c) defeated Mike Miller and Rip Oliver at 15:01

Main Event:
Harley Race (c) defeated Brett Wayne Sawyer at 19:03

Love the addition of Frank Dusek for television!

Great job on building Shawn Michaels...he didn't win but merely surviving against a veteran the stature of Masked Superstar. 

I always preferred the Irwins as the Super Destroyers....I look forward to see where they go from here. 

The Sawyer feud is coming to a head....interested to see how this plays out.

July 28th in Detroit, MI

16 man tournament for a 1984 Chevrolet Camaro

Entrants:

Masked Superstar

Jim Brunzell

Greg Gagne

Killer Karl Krupp

Ricky Gibson

Ray Stevens

Frank Dusek

Roger Kirby

Shawn Michaels

Larry Hamilton

Don Carsen

Marty Jannetty

Brad Rheingans

Charlie Fulton

Kelly Kiniski

Mike George

Great show and I like the addition of Dusek with Solie on commentary. 

Scott Hall gets a strong TV win over Kirby and is full of excitement during his promo. 

Nice touch with the phone call to Rich. LOL, I remembered them doing that as well. Rich is going after Race again but right now Race seems to have a firm grip on the title. No doubt these two will put on another classic.

Buzz has harsh words for his brother as one of them will leave town. 

Michaels survives! Gibson celebrates with him but they receive a beating from the Super Destroyers and Superstar. 

LOL, it would be awesome to see Stevens cruising that Camaro. 

Nice set of show here.  I really like Dusek with Solie.  

Looking forward to Rich and Race again.

The car gimmick really works in Detroit.  This could really help you going forward as so many great names in one tournament.  This could lead to rematches and a few feuds.

In another universe, Vince McMahon is making a call to the State of Michigan sanctioning bodies to make sure the promotion actually has to give away a car :)

Solid stuff, especially with a slightly less star studded roster than other promotions. Race is a good choice as top guy in a gritty region like the Great Lakes, as you can easily imagine Harley getting off a shift at a local Ford factory in Michigan instead of wrestling. 

Great Lakes Championship Wrestling House Show: 7/25/2019

live from Toledo, OH

Crusher and Dick the Bruiser defeated Butch Moffot and Tom Stanton at 3:02

A man in a generic mask comes out and forces the ring announcer to announce him as the Marvelous Masked Manger. He also demands that Don Carsen and Larry Hamilton (sporting Phantom of the Opera masks) be announced as the Mysterious Masked Phantoms. Also another random masked man announced as The Bullet comes out for the battle royal.

12 Man Battle Royal (Winner gets $2,500 and a shot at the Great Lakes Heavyweight Championship)

Marty Jannetty gets tossed by Super Destroyer #2

Larry Hamilton gets eliminated by The Bullet

Kelly Kiniski gets eliminated by Super Destroyer #1

Charlie Fulton gets tossed by Don Carsen

Don Carsen gets tossed by Blue Demon Jr.

Blue Demon Jr. gets tossed by Super Destroyer #1

Super Destroyer #1 gets eliminated by The Bullet

Mike George gets tossed by Frank Dusek

Frank Dusek gets tossed by Roger Kirby

Roger Kirby gets eliminated by The Bullet

Super Destroyer #2 gets tossed by The Bullet

WINNER: The Bullet

Gordie Solie stops The Bullet as he leaves the ring.

Solie: An impactful debut as this mystery man known as The Bullet has won some money and has earned himself a title shot Saturday Night in Cleveland, OH. What brings you to the Great Lakes region?

Bullet: Well I got some tapes of the Masked Superstar running his mouth about cars and title shots and generally being the hottest thing in professional wrestling today. I remember a time when I used to kick his tail all over the southern regions of this country. I saw this guy putting together a stable with a bunch of masked men. It just so happens I had a mask in my closet so I decided to put the mask on and drive on up to the Great Lakes area. Masked Superstar, you know who I am and you remember what I have done to you in the past. I am here to rain on your little parade.

Scott Hall defeated Ray Stevens at 14:54

Note: After the match Stevens grabbed a chair from the crowd and beat Scott Hall with it and then hit the Jumping Knee Drop before leaving the ring.

The Fantastics (c) defeated Mike Miller and Rip Oliver at 17:31

Main Event:

Harley Race (c) defeated Ricky Gibson at 20:31

Solid card here. 

LOL, love the Marvelous Masked Manager and his stable of masked men. 

Bullet comes to town and wins a battle royal. Now his sights are set on the Masked Superstar.

Watch out! Ray Stevens has gone heel! 

Even though they came up short, love that team of Oliver and Miller.

Harley once again retains. 

Great Lakes Championship Wrestling Weekend Report: 7/26/1984

live from Canton, OH

Danny Fargo and George Weingeroff defeated Marty Jannetty and Shawn Michaels at 7:21

The Bullet defeated Kurt Von Hess at 5:01

Thunderbolt Patterson defeated Frank Morrell at 11:39

Ricky Gibson defeated Larry Hamilton at 13:04

Super Destroyers defeated Crusher and Dick the Bruiser at 9:23 by DQ

Note: This match turned into a wild brawl and Crusher and Dick the Bruiser were DQed for grabbing chairs out of the crowd and using them on the Super Destroyers. Both teams continued to brawl as the bell rang. The Super Destroyers grabbed a table and started ramming The Bruiser's head into it. The Bullet came out and jumped the Super Destroyers and chaos was reigning until the local police showed up and handcuffed the 5 men to get things under control.

Main Event:
Buzz Sawyer defeated Jim Brunzell at 19:43