American Wrestling Association

Mad Dog

Great Lakes Championship Wrestling Weekend Report: 7/272019

live from Cleveland, OH

Mike Miller and Rip Oliver defeated Charlie Fulton and Kelly Kiniski at 5:18

Hacksaw Jim Duggan defeated Chris Markoff at 6:00

Angelo and Lanny Poffo defeated Don Carsen and Larry Hamilton at 10:31

Super Destroyers defeated Crusher and Dick the Bruiser at 7:23 by DQ

Note: This one spilled out of the ring and Crusher and Bruiser went for chairs again which drew the DQ. The High Flyers appeared during the brawl and helped Crusher and Bruiser chase off the Super Destroyers. The High Flyers got on the house mic and challenged the Super Destroyers for future matches.

Masked Superstar defeated Blue Demon Jr. at 12:03

Note: Masked Superstar tried unmasking Blue Demon Jr. after the match but The Bullet appeared and ran him off.

Ravishing Rick Rude defeated Brett Wayne Sawyer at 11:49

AWA National Tag Team Title Match:
The Fantastics (c) defeated Danny Fargo and George Weingeroff at 14:09

Main Event:
Great Lakes Heavyweight Title Match:
Harley Race (c) vs. The Bullet - 60 Minute Time Limit Draw

• Replies 160
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

My guys Oliver and Miller open the show with a win. Nice start.

That Crusher/Bruiser-Super Destroyers match was a brawl! 

Rude gets a solid win over Brett Sawyer. 

Fantastics continue to roll as tag champs. 

Ok, that main event was well worth the price of admission. What a match! Watching Harley and Bullet go 60 minutes would of been awesome. 

The Bullet has made impact right out of the gate here with that tv appearance and then going the distance with Harley Race, he's a bonafide superstar in the fans eyes even if they weren't familiar with him in this region.

Fantastics make for great tag team champions and they have a ton of competition headed their way with all the great teams on your roster. I suspect the Super Destroyers have a bone to pick with him at some point for sure if they make it past the High Flyers.

You've got one of the strongest undercards in the game....lots of great stuff going on.

Great Lakes All-Star Wrestling #4: 7/28/1984

taped from Chicago, IL

Gordie Solie and Frank Dusek are in the studio.

Solie: Welcome to another edition of All-Star Wrestling. They have finally repaired the studio so we are back this week. I am joined by my broadcast partner Frank Dusek who is going to be competing for a car in Detroit, MI later today.

Dusek: That's right Gordie. We all saw last week that Shawn Michaels earned a spot in that very tournament. It's a real Cinderella story for the young man. But I hate to be the bearer of bad news because there isn't going to be any car waiting for Shawn.

Solie: Why don't we take a look at some highlights of that match. It was quite remarkable as the young man took the Masked Superstar to the ten minute time limit.

Highlights of the Masked Superstar vs. Shawn Michaels match plays.

Solie: We wish the 16 men in that tournament later today good luck. We have a big show for you today. The contract has been signed. Tommy Rich has been cleared to wrestle and he has signed a contract to face Harley Race for the Great Lakes Championship in Minneapolis, MN on 8/2. We will have highlights of that contract signing for you today. In our main event The Fantastics will be defending their AWA National Tag Team Titles against Danny Fargo and George Weingeroff. Also in action today will be The High Flyers, the Poffos and Super Detroyers. A lot of people say the Great Lakes region is where all the best tag teams come and today's show proves it.

Masked Superstar, Super Destroyers, Don Carsen, Larry Hamilton and The Marvelous Masked Manager come to the announce desk.

Solie: That's quite a posse you've built for yourself there Masked Superstar. And isn't that Jimmy Hart in a mas...

The Masked Manager grabs a mic.

MMM: I don't know what you're talking about. I am the Marvelous Masked Manager. The manager of masked champions. The Masked Superstar called me up and said that he needed my managerial skills to get this group off the ground. So he and I did some searching and we brought the Super Destroyers and the Mysterious Masked Phantoms in and now you can behold the group we have put together. I will say that Jimmy Hart is a very attractive man and any lady would be lucky to have him but I am not him.

Solie and Dusek stare Don Carsen and Larry Hamilton up and down and exchange some quick words.

Solie: These two you call the Phantoms... didn't you just put Phantom of the Opera masks on Don Carsen and Larry Hamilton?

MMM: Never heard of them...

Solie: So... Masked Superstar. Do you have a name for this group?

Superstar: No. This is about dominance. This is about titles, money and crushing those that stand in our way. This isn't about making some snappy name with a logo for a t-shirt. I am sending a warning out to everyone in the Great Lakes region. This is for Tommy Rich, Harley Race, Ted Dibiase, the Fantastics and especially The Bullet. Stay out of our way. We aren't messing around. If you have something we want, we are going to come and take it from you. Starting with that car later tonight in Detroit followed by the AWA World Championship on August 2nd in Minneapolis.

Super Destroyers defeated Barry O and Dusty Wolf at 4:07

Earlier in the week, Great Lakes Heavyweight Champion Harley Race and Tommy Rich met at a local lawyers office to sign their contract. The video shows them sitting at a table and signing various places where instructed. They both ask a few questions of the lawyer. A podium is set up outside so that media can ask a few questions of both men.

Rich: I have been cleared to wrestle finally. The doctors say the cut has healed 100% and shouldn't be in danger of opening up during this match. I have been sitting and agonizing over that loss at the Omni for weeks now. It's just been eating me alive. I sit awake at night thinking about how I was denied being the first ever Great Lakes Champion. I am going to redeem myself and take the belt in Minneapolis. And I want to send a shout out the Masked Superstar's way. I remember what you did and we are going to have our day in the ring. Also, if you think you are going to get involved in this match, I have discussed things with Harley Race and Thunderbolt Patterson is going to be in my corner for the match to make sure you stay away.

Race: I am glad to see that Tommy Rich is finally well again. Like I have said more than once. There are few men in this sport that have earned my respect but Tommy Rich is one of them. Don't think that means I am going easy on him though. I have won so many championships in this sport that I don't even remember the names of some of them. I have won titles in Japan, Canada, Australia and Puerto Rico as well as being a multi time World Champion. I dare you to find a man more accomplished than I am. My point here is that I respect the man Tommy Rich but I live to win. I will leave Tommy Rich a bloody mess again in that ring if it means that I will retain my championship belt. I refuse to lose my belt in this match.

Angelo and Lanny Poffo defeated Charlie Fulton and Kelly Kiniski at 3:41

Gordie Solie and Frank Dusek are out in the parking lot as Verne Gagne pulls up in the 1984 Chevrolet Camaro

14662281-1984-chevrolet-camaro-thumb.jpg.7838b465cd7dc833f87da4ac58556234.jpg

Gagne: This is the car that 16 men will battle it out for tonight in Detroit.

Dusek: That is one nice car. It's going to be real fun driving this to the shows and cruising the highways.

Ray Stevens storms out.

Stevens: This is some kind of joke Frank. You know you aren't winning a thing with me in that tournament. That car is as good as mine.

Don Carsen, Larry Hamilton, Roger Kirby and Killer Karl Krupp all come out. They all start arguing about who is going to win the car and how they are obviously the best wrestler in the arena. Finally Killer Karl Krupp throws a punch at Ray Stevens and things just explode. All 5 men brawl with each other while Frank Dusek walks away and stand with Gordie Solie by the car. Security runs out and pulls all the men apart. They all yell about how it's on tonight.

There is a quick bumper after this segment announcing that Tom Jones has replaced Mike George in the tournament.

High Flyers defeated Roger Kirby and Tommy Gilbert at 7:01

Buzz Sawyer comes out for an interview.

Solie: The main event tonight in Detroit is a Loser Leaves Town Steel Cage Match between this man Buzz Sawyer and his brother Brett Wayne Sawyer.

Sawyer: I am excited today Mr. Solie. Today I finally get to remove my worthless brother from the Great Lakes region. It's thanks to my brother that I am no longer the National Champion. Instead of having my back against Iceman Parsons and Butch Reed, he was in the back doing nothing. Brett will tell you that he was letting me be my own man. I call it being a coward and lazy. Brett, we are blood and you neglect that at every turn. You want me to help you win tag belts and to prop you up everywhere we go. Then you don't help me out with a belt that meant the world to me. Well, I've had enough. I am sick of tag team wrestling and I am sick of you. I am going to chase you out of the Great Lakes region and then I am flying solo from here on out. 

Main Event:

The Fantastics (c) defeated Danny Fargo and George Weingeroff at 11:39

The Fantastics stop in at the announce table.

Solie: Another impressive victory for the Fantastics. They look to be quite unstoppable in the ring currently.

Rogers: Yeah, we are on a real hot streak right now. We have loved working with Great Lakes so far. You know, Bobby Fulton and I are feeling really good right now. We are flying high and we have been beating tag teams left and right. That's why we have a blank contract right here. This is for any tag team that wants to come to Minneapolis on August 2nd and face us in a title match. Sign your name on the dotted line and we'll put the belts on the line.

Solie: That is quite a risky move if you ask me. Well, that is it for this week. Join us next week as we'll have the fallout from the 16 man tournament and that big show coming up on 8/2 with the AWA World Championship, Great Lakes Championship and National Tag Team Championship all on the line. Our main event next week is going to be Thunderbolt Patterson and Tommy Rich against Don Carsen and Larry Hamilton. Also in action will be Buzz Sawyer, Super Destroyers and The Bullet. 

The Masked Men are making their mark in Great Lakes

The car gimmick is a great way to hype up Detroit!

Race and Rich....  I think Race is right in that on most nights he is going to leave Wildfire a bloody mess but miracles do happen and even if it doesn't, Rich is still money in the bank for the owners!

Sawyers in a loser-leave town match has my hooked for the next show.

Great Lakes Championship Wrestling Weekend Report: 7/28/1984

Live from Detroit, MI

Round 1:

Masked Superstar defeated Marty Jannetty at 4:09

Ricky Gibson defeated Larry Hamilton at 5:47

Greg Gagne defeated Don Carsen at 3:22

Ray Stevens defeated Charlie Fulton at 4:00

Jim Brunzell defeated Frank Dusek at 12:16

Brad Rheingans defeated Tom Jones at 9:42

Shawn Michaels defeated Roger Kirby at 11:19

Killer Karl Krupp defeated Kelly Kiniski at 5:59

Quarter-Finals:

Masked Superstar defeated Ricky Gibson at 10:41

Greg Gagne defeated Ray Stevens at 13:01

Jim Brunzell defeated Brad Rheingans at 10:12

Shawn Michaels defeated Killer Karl Krupp at 9:41

Semi-Finals:

Masked Superstar defeated Greg Gagne at 17:42

Shawn Michaels defeated Jim Brunzell at 20:19

Final:

Shawn Michaels defeated Masked Superstar at 15:29

Note: The Bullet came out during the match and helped Michaels get to the ropes to escape the Cobra Clutch once. The ending came when Michaels went for a cross body block and Masked Superstar rolled through and had him pinned. Michaels managed to reverse it and got the surprise 1-2-3. Michaels is absolutely shocked as they drive the car into the arena. Verne Gagne comes out and presents him with the keys. Suddenly, Masked Superstar blindsides Michaels from behind. Masked Superstar puts the boots to Michaels and then hits a Spinning Neckbreaker on him and applies the Cobra Clutch until Michaels is out cold. Masked Superstar gets under the ring and pulls out a big wrench and goes to town on the Camaro. He busts out all the windows and headlights and knocks off all the mirrors. He goes back to the ring and pulls out a sledgehammer and smashes the hood of the car in and the trunk. Finally he pulls out a switchblade and slashes all the interiors of the car. Gordie Solie runs up with the mic.

Superstar: I didn't want that stupid car anyway. I just got a Mazda RX-7 for my luxury vehicle needs. If you want a real car then you need to go to Japan like I did. None of this American made crap like General Motors! I am going to be cruising along in my slick Japanese made vehicle and I won't think twice about this stupid garbage Camaro. Enjoy it now Shawn because you're never going to afford to pay for it.

Scott Hall defeated Barry O at 4:38

Main Event:
Loser Leaves Town Steel Cage Match:
Buzz Sawyer defeated Brett Wayne Sawyer at 18:41

Note: Both Buzz and Brett were bloody messes during the match. Buzz managed to pull a turnbuckle pad off and after several failed attempts by both men, he finally rammed Brett's head into the exposed turnbuckle and hit the Powerslam to pick up the victory.

WOW! Shawn Michaels win the tournament! This pushes the youngster to a new level. The celebration is short lived as the Masked Superstar destroys Michaels and the car! The Masked Superstar is going to really elevate Michaels. 

Loved the tournament. Lots of exciting matches that gave the fans more than their money's worth. 

Buzz finishes his feud with his brother and sends him packing. Great ending to a great family feud. 

Loving Jimmy Hart oh I mean the Marvelous Masked Manager LOL. 

Cant wait for that huge Race/Rich rematch. You did a great job making this a huge deal. 

Local Promos:

Solie: Minneapolis fans! Great Lakes Championship Wrestling is coming to your area on August 2nd with an absolutely loaded card. Ted Dibiase will be defending the AWA World Heavyweight Championship against the Masked Superstar.

AWA World Heavyweight Champion Ted Dibiase walks out.

Dibiase: One of the first things you learn as the World Champion is to not take things personally and to keep it strictly business. Well, there is one man in the world of professional wrestling that I just can't seem to keep that line with and it's the Masked Superstar. He and I have a lot of dark history together. Quite frankly I hate the man and when I arrived in the Great Lakes area, it seems that a lot of guys in the locker room feel the same way. I don't even think his teammates like him very much either. Masked Superstar, you see this belt I am holding? I will die before I ever let you lay claim to it.

Solie: Tommy Rich finally cleared to wrestle will challenge Harley Race for the Great Lakes Heavyweight Championship.

Tommy Rich comes out with Thunderbolt Patterson.

Rich: August 2nd is going to be a great day for me. I get to climb back into that ring and I get to avenge the loss that has been haunting me for the last several weeks. I said it before the first match but it always seems to come down to me and Harley Race in that ring. Well here we are again. Harley, you better bring your A game because I am coming for that belt of your's. And to make sure that no one gets involved I am going to have Thunderbolt Patterson in my corner.

Thunderbolt Patterson reaches out and takes Tommy Rich's hand.

Patterson: You see Tommy Rich and I have a bond forged in blood. It's a bond between two warriors. It's a bond that very few people in this world understand. I am going out there to make sure that my brother here gets a fair shake in the ring. I am not there to interfere or interject myself into the match. I am there to make sure that guys like the Masked Superstar don't cause any problems. I swear to you Tommy that you will get a good clean fight in Minneapolis.

Solie: The Fantastics will be putting their AWA National Tag Team Titles on the line in an open challenge.

AWA National Tag Team Champions The Fantastics walk out.

Fulton: Minneapolis, we are looking forward to returning and once again defending our National Titles in front of you.

Rogers: You know, the Great Lakes region has some of the best tag team action going today. That is why we have that blank contract just waiting for a team to sign. The belts are on the line boys. Come and see if you can take them from us.

Solie: The High Flyers will take on the Super Destroyers in tag team action.

The Marvelous Masked Manager comes out with the Super Destroyers.

MMM: Greg Gagne and Jim Brunzell made the biggest mistakes of their lives challenging these men to a match. You're looking at one of the meanest and toughest tag teams in the world today. Why, I know for a fact that the Road Warriors have been ducking them in other parts of the country. These men are so tough that after beating the High Flyers they might go sign those contracts and take on the Fantastics for the National Tag Team Titles afterwards.

Solie: In a return bout, Ray Stevens will take on Scott Hall.'

Ray Stevens comes out.

Stevens: Savor the moment Scott Hall. Soak in the fact that you defeated a living legend inside of that ring last week. Enjoy it because you aren't going to get that feeling again. I admit, I took you too lightly in our first bout. I looked at you and saw a green rookie and overlooked your physical gifts. Well, I am ready for you this time. I didn't come to the Great Lakes region to wrestle the likes of you. I cam here to win championship belts and make a lot of money. Scott Hall, in Minneapolis you are going to learn some hard lessons about the wrestling business.

Solie: Also on the card that night:

Hacksaw Jim Duggan vs. Ivan Koloff

The Poffos vs. Mike Miller and Rip Oliver

Don Carsen vs. Shawn Michaels

Great Lakes Championship Wrestling House Show: 8/1/1984

live from St. Paul, MN

Tag Team Battle Royal (Winners get $5,000)

Marty Jannetty gets tossed by Danny Fargo (Marty Jannetty and Shawn Michaels are eliminated)

Larry Hamilton gets eliminated by Tommy Gilbert (Don Carsen and Larry Hamilton are eliminated)

Lanny Poffo gets tossed by Super Destroyer #2 (Angelo and Lanny Poffo are eliminated)

Ricky Gibson gets tossed by Super Destroyer #1 (Ricky Gibson and Tommy Gilbert are eliminated)

Danny Fargo gets eliminated by Mike Miller (Danny Fargo and George Weingeroff are eliminated)

Rip Oliver gets tossed by Jim Brunzell (Mike Miller and Rip Oliver are eliminated)

Jim Brunzell gets tossed by Super Destroyer #1 (High Flyers are eliminated)

WINNERS: Super Destroyers

The Bullet defeated Charlie Fulton at 3:01

Thunderbolt Patterson defeated Killer Karl Krupp at 12:42

Main Event:

Russian Chain Match:

Ivan Koloff defeated Dick the Bruiser at 7:39

Good job with the promos leading up to the big show. 

Thunderbolt gives Tommy his word that he has his back. 

Fantastics have guts putting out an open challenge. 

Solid promo from the Marvelous Masked Manager as he says his Super Destroyers can beat any team. 

A focused Ray Stevens is a dangerous Ray Stevens. Scott Hall better be ready. 

Super Destroyers look strong winning the battle royal. I'm hoping for a showdown with the Road Warriors down the line.

Good grief, that Koloff/Bruiser Russian Chain match must of been brutal! Fans got their money's worth on that one. 

Great Lakes Championship Wrestling House Show: 8/2/1984

live from Minneapolis, MN

Don Carsen defeated Shawn Michaels at 10:38

Mike Miller and Rip Oliver defeated Angelo and Lanny Poffo at 11:09

Hacksaw Jim Duggan defeated Ivan Koloff at 14:00

Scott Hall defeated Ray Stevens at 10:57 by DQ

Note: Ray Stevens kept trying for the piledriver and couldn't get it. Out of frustrated he pulled a chain out of his tights and nailed Hall with it causing the DQ. Ray Stevens continued to beat on Hall with the chain until the referees managed to subdue him.

Verne Gagne came out and announced that the High Flyers vs. Super Destroyers will be for the brand new Great Lakes Tag Team Championship

Great Lakes Tag Team Title Match:

Super Destroyers defeated High Flyers at 24:46 to win the Great Lakes Tag Team Titles

Bobby Fulton and Tommy Rogers get on the house mic and announce they are ready to face their opponents. There is a long pause when Rock and Roll Is King by ELO starts. Fulton and Rogers are shock as the Rock N Roll Express answered the challenge.

Rock N Roll Express defeated The Fantastics (c) at 18:17 to win the AWA National Tag Team Titles

Great Lakes Heavyweight Title Match:

Tommy Rich defeated Harley Race (c) at 34:21 to win the Great Lakes Heavyweight Championship

Note: Rich got busted open in the early goings and the referee wanted to stop the match. Rich begged and pleaded at multiple points to keep the match going and the referee let it go multiple times. Race went for the Piledriver but Rich managed to power out of it. Rich came off the ropes and hit the Thesz Press for the 3 count. The crowd goes wild as Thunderbolt Patterson jumped into the ring with the Great Lakes Heavyweight Championship belt. Thunderbolt lifts Rich's hand in victory and puts the belt around his waist. Thunderbolt Patterson and Tommy Rich celebrate in the ring. 

Main Event:

AWA World Heavyweight Title Match:

Masked Superstar defeated Ted Dibiase (c) at 11:08 by count out

Note: The Super Destroyers and Don Carsen attacked Ted Dibiase outside of the ring. Super Destroyer #1 lifted him and slammed him onto the top of the guard rail. Dibiase was obviousl injured by this attack and tried crawling back into the ring but couldn't make it in time. The referee called for the bell. Masked Superstar demanded the belt but the referee tried explaining that the belt can't change hands on a count out. Masked Superstar tossed the referee out of the ring. The Super Destroyers tossed a bloody Dibiase in the ring and Masked Superstar applied the Cobra Clutch to him. Tommy Rich, Thunderbolt Patterson, The Bullet and the Rock N Roll Express all ran out to make the save.

Wow....great get with the Rock & Roll Express and good call putting the gold on them right out of the gate.....the addition of the Rock & Roll would definitely pop all the houses across the territory! Their eventual showdown with the Super Destroyers will be HUGE!

Rich wins the title! Rich is a great choice as champion and the fans would have certainly gone home happy with the new champions

What a night! 

Oliver and Miller are quietly racking up wins, this time over the Poffo's. 

Stevens puts the hurt on Hall. I'm liking this rookie vs. veteran feud. 

Super Destroyers win the Great Lakes tag titles! Great choice. 

WOW! RnR answer the challenge and defeat the Fantastics in a dream match to win the National tag titles. 

Tommy Rich does it! He overcomes the odds and defeats Race in a classic. Rich deserves a good run as champ. Props to you on a great build up. 

Main Event for the AWA World Title ends in chaos as Masked Superstar wins by C.O. thanks to the Super Destroyers and Carsen. Man, Superstar did a number on Dibiase. Cant wait for the rematch. 

Rich, Race, RnR, Destroyers, Bullet, Masked Superstar, Great Lakes has some serious momentum going!