Pro Wrestling Only

WWE TV 07/08 - 07/14 Copa America was a romp and a half but the National Team still sucks

KawadaSmile

19 minutes ago, Matt D said:

I get the sense that the reboot hasn't happened yet. Last Monday was more of a teaser for what will come after the real transition, and we haven't even had a teaser for Smackdown.

I read somewhere (Meltz maybe?) that the full changes for the Heyman and Bischoff duo wouldn't occur until after the Extreme Rules ppv so I think you are right. Bischoff just moved to Stamford like a week ago.

• Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

12 hours ago, sek69 said:

Man, the whole Bayley/Nikki/Alexa feud is a mess. Nikki is basically a babyface people want to get behind even though she hasn't officially turned yet, like Rick Steiner before he turned on the Varsity Club,  Bayley is supposed to be the babyface since what she's saying (Alexa is using Nikki) is correct, but she's been acting like an asshole the whole time. Alexa is the only one who's actually been portrayed as her character is supposed to be.

It's really stunning how apparent it is how completely incapable they are to create storylines for the women. I mean, they have a hard enough problem writing for the men, but they come off as completely out to  lunch with the women. 

I don't think it's a mess at all - I think it's actually one of their best feuds - but you are right about Bayley.

I'm not sure if she's acting like an asshole as much as it's a case of the writers not knowing how to script anything other than "catty" for the women and Bayley herself being a notoriously poor actor and mic worker (easily the worst on the female roster).

Nikki has done a phenomenal job and this has made her a star, so that's why I don't think it's a mess or a disaster.

4 hours ago, Matt D said:

I get the sense that the reboot hasn't happened yet. Last Monday was more of a teaser for what will come after the real transition, and we haven't even had a teaser for Smackdown.

Awww, come one now. Last week everyone was "It's suuuuuuuuuch a Heyman show" and now the reboot hasn't happened ? Come the fuck on. Most hype from last week's show was Maria Kanellis anyway, so it's not like it was a great indication that things were gonna turn around, but are we pretending last week's reactions to the show did not happen ? And as far as Smackdown goes, come on, Bischoff ain't shit. 

Eric won't start until next week so his half of the reboot actually hasn't happened yet. Last week's Raw clearly had differences that prior ones did not have that didn't carry over to this week (except the follow up on the Maria stuff). What can be determined from that is up to the reader I supposed.

20 hours ago, sek69 said:

Man, the whole Bayley/Nikki/Alexa feud is a mess. Nikki is basically a babyface people want to get behind even though she hasn't officially turned yet, like Rick Steiner before he turned on the Varsity Club,  Bayley is supposed to be the babyface since what she's saying (Alexa is using Nikki) is correct, but she's been acting like an asshole the whole time. Alexa is the only one who's actually been portrayed as her character is supposed to be.

It's really stunning how apparent it is how completely incapable they are to create storylines for the women. I mean, they have a hard enough problem writing for the men, but they come off as completely out to  lunch with the women. 

I've said this for weeks. One of the best things WWE can do is have Alexa Bliss smack Bayley in her gob and be Cross' actual friend, they've done such a bad job of it. They even can't book Lennie/George - Boo Radley properly.

20 hours ago, sek69 said:

I've said this for weeks. One of the best things WWE can do is have Alexa Bliss smack Bayley in her gob and be Cross' actual friend, they've done such a bad job of it. They even can't book Lennie/George - Boo Radley properly.

3 hours ago, sek69 said:

Eric won't start until next week so his half of the reboot actually hasn't happened yet. Last week's Raw clearly had differences that prior ones did not have that didn't carry over to this week (except the follow up on the Maria stuff). What can be determined from that is up to the reader I supposed.

Even though the accepted theory is that the new producers won't be fully in place until after Extreme Rules, I am not expecting to notice significant changes on either show right away anyhow. If it is even possible, it's going to take time to turn things around, especially considering the mess both guys are walking into. If you inherit a show where one (or more than one) of your main angles involves Shane McMahon, or you get saddled with Baron Fucking Corbin as your top heel, I don't care how good a writer you are - your show is still going to suck. I wouldn't expect to see any noticeable differences until Heyman and Bischoff both are in place for at least a month - and that's even assuming that Vince actually lets them implement any of the changes they want to make, which knowing him, he probably won't. I think SummerSlam will probably be a good indicator of how different things are or aren't going to be with the two new Executive Producers in place.

12 hours ago, Matt D said:

I don't know...the way they started Smackdown Live last night kinda reminded me of what they'd do on Nitro sometimes to start the show with wrestlers interrupting the commentary team at the broadcast set.

1 hour ago, NintendoLogic said:

Or maybe it's more likely than not that Heyman and Bischoff will book complete dogshit of their own accord.

Time will tell. They may not make WWE TV any better, but I can't see Bischoff or especially Heyman contributing to a product that is any worse than what is being put out there right now. How much worse can it get?

Bischoff's forte was pushing forward the live nature of a telecast. The show was usually built around hard lefts and shocking moments to get viewers to see what they would do next. With Nitro, particularly early on, it was all about bringing in new talent. It seemed like every show would feature somebody new whether it was Eddie, Chris, Sabu, The Public Enemy, Konnan etc. or a big time return like the Road Warriors, Madusa, Miss Elizabeth, The Steiner Bros. etc. That's what brought Nitro to the dance and made the Savage/Flair angle so successful because Randy played a fantastic loose cannon (as did of course Pillman...but basically to his own dentriment). Then the vision was eventually realised in May of 96, 8 months after the launch of Nitro when Hall came on and Bischoff really started to push forward the live television narrative of the promotion.

That and his eye for production values is the two things he's got going for him. The TNA run as bad as it was still produced some positives, including that TNA reactions show which was shot well and gave everybody screen-time and a platform to put over their rivalries and gimmicks without all the gaga and nonsense.

I'm actually looking forward to the next few months of WWE. I don't think it's going to be entirely smooth sailing, but I expect there to be changes which I think the show desperately needs. If the show can understand how to build up stakes, we're going to be in for a treat. Or realistically, Hogan will become the new authority figure and it's going to be TNA 2010 all over again with Jarrett and Sting getting more screen-time than any other active guy on the roster.

Also, while I can see why others didn't enjoy Raw, I actually enjoyed the pacing of the show. None of the segments seemed to drag, a lot of guys are getting rehabbed (Lashley, Cesaro) and pushed (Ricochet) and a lot of the stale storylines were basically rushed through. The Seth-Becky/Baron-Lacey stuff was all thrown out at the beginning of the show, and the main event went all of five minutes. They basically sold the angles like 'don't worry, we're as sick as this as you guys are, but we're just getting our ducks in a row for SummerSlam' which is right up my alley.

4 hours ago, KawadaSmile said:

WWE dropped a new Roman/Taker shirt and it's actually awesome.

Graveyard Dogs is such a great name for a tag team that I'm pretty sure it's going to be a pretty short-lived tag.

The new shirt for the Kabuki Warriors is much cooler. It looks like it could be for a female Japanese rock band. Always remember that the key to a good wrestling shirt is that it not look like a wrestling shirt.

Just now, NintendoLogic said:

The new shirt for the Kabuki Warriors is much cooler. It looks like it could be for a female Japanese rock band. Always remember that the key to a good wrestling shirt is that it not look like a wrestling shirt.

That is also true! I also liked the new Bray one because it was really goofy, instead of the usual tryhard shit he's had.

It's always great when journalists who cover other forms of sports and entertainment talk to WWE wrestlers and are incredulous as to how they're treated. "What do you mean you guys have to drive yourselves from town to town? You're superstars, shouldn't you have drivers? Why isn't that covered in your CBA? You guys have a CBA, right?"

Her "oh shit" face was classic, but the back and forth was something to behold. Her "of course we rent our own cars and drive ourselves" should be  used as exhibit A in any discussion of why a union would be beneficial to wrestlers.