Pro Wrestling Only

The Wade Keller Appreciation Thread

Loss

• Replies 516
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I can sorta see why Taz got offended by the last question, but Wade is not wrong...not at all.

About what?

Yeah, I think a copy and paste got lost somewhere here and I'm curious too :P

Can't actually cut and paste this, so I'll link to the post. Click on the "spoiler."

I was referring to Wade's last question asking whether Taz got a raise, etc.

http://prowrestlingonly.com/index.php?/topic/4999-the-wade-keller-appreciation-thread/page-20&do=findComment&comment=5614004

Loss and I bantered about this on Twitter: If ECW was such a hot product why didn't it draw fifteen years ago?

How many ECW fans refuse to acknowledge that the promotion and Paul Heyman were largely propped up by Vince McMahon after trying to go national?

It DID draw. Look at the crowds they had. It just didn't draw on a level that could match their spending. It was drawing like a territory and they wanted to be a national promotion. Or had to be a national promotion to keep their talent from going to WWF or WCW. They pretty much were screwed once WCW and WWF got hot. I don't see any way they could have kept things hot after 1998 once there was money for the wrestlers to be made elsewhere.

Loss and I bantered about this on Twitter: If ECW was such a hot product why didn't it draw fifteen years ago?

How many ECW fans refuse to acknowledge that the promotion and Paul Heyman were largely propped up by Vince McMahon after trying to go national?

Giving Heyman $50K a year or whatever it was isn't propping up all that much.

I think my point is that most of the people who chant for ECW at shows did not watch ECW when it was around, which I think is on the hypocritical side.

How many people still chant ECW at shows? I haven't heard it on WWE tv in years. Maybe in TNA when they're doing ECW tributes and begging for that response? Does it happen on indy shows still?

I would guess the majority at a wrestling show who chants E-C-DUB is a fan of ECW. How is that "hypocritical"?

Guest Eduardo James

I would guess the majority at a wrestling show who chants E-C-DUB is a fan of ECW. How is that "hypocritical"?

Honestly, an argument over this is going to be pointless since there's no way to tell for sure what each and individual person is chanting for. Personally, most ECW chants post-closing came across as "ECW = Hardcore, right? ECDUB ECUB" and if you were to ask that person afterwards what their favorite ECW match or moment was, you'd probably get a shrug.

It DID draw. Look at the crowds they had. It just didn't draw on a level that could match their spending. It was drawing like a territory and they wanted to be a national promotion.

It didn't draw like a territory. Territories that drew at the levels of ECW were in their death spirals. We talk about Portland being a "small" territory. But I suspect Bix and/or Dylan could point to them out drawing ECW Arena.

ECW was largely drawing like an Indy Plus.

• 7 months later...

Keller is tearing Steph a new one over this tweet. I cannot fathom why she would even consider tweeting this hours before Connor's induction.

stephmcmahon: "philanthropy is the future of marketing, it's the way brands r going 2 win" -@biz Stone co-founder @twitter #WWEBPS

What does philanthropy have to do with Connor's induction? They're two totally different things. Being a philanthropist generally means donating money to good causes. The Connor and Make-a-Wish stuff is something else entirely.

What's the big deal?

Speaking as somebody with a background in charitable fund development myself, I have zero problem with that quote. Philanthropy is marketing, and everbody knows that. Charities aren't stupid, they know that corporations donate money and get behind campaigns for tax breaks, for good publicity, and maybe as a distant third (depending on the corporation in question) to do something good or for personal reasons. (Like an owner or board member affected by the cause, etc.) I have never worked with a charity that had a problem publicizing a company or brand once they had agreed to take a charitable donation. I have worked for charities who turned down money from companies that they did not want to be identified with.

In my experience, individuals tend to give money for purely altrusitic reasons. Corporations, not so much...they want something in return for their money, and if it is marketing, so be it. It's a win-win. Keller picks odd things to get offended by. Of all things WWE does or has done to get his shorts in a twist over, this hardly seems to be it.