• Replies 516
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

• 6 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 8/27/2020 at 9:07 AM, WingedEagle said:

How is the Torch these days?  They're running a sale offering a month at $0.99 but is there value at the regular price beyond that?

Not sure, but at 99 cents, I'd say it's worth the gamble to find out.  

Update: I gave it a try.

No real impressions to report as of yet - I haven't even checked out more than a few lines of the latest newsletter at this point - but it does seem to run well on mobile. 

Is the Observer site design still outdated hot trash?

I don't care about audio, so that's not a draw for me on either site.

On 8/27/2020 at 9:07 AM, WingedEagle said:

How is the Torch these days?  They're running a sale offering a month at $0.99 but is there value at the regular price beyond that?

My impressions after 24 hours:

This week's Torch Newsletter was 90% show and PPV recaps, with a main story (the Reigns turn), two columns, and a tiny section of forgettable news tidbits.

I get that the show results need to be preserved for historical purposes or whatever, but there has to be a better way go about it.

Overall, I found the latest issue very disappointing and lacking. 

Has Keller even done a Torch Talk in a long time? He's very mistaken if he doesn't think that's still his bread and butter.

7 hours ago, C.S. said:

My impressions after 24 hours:

This week's Torch Newsletter was 90% show and PPV recaps, with a main story (the Reigns turn), two columns, and a tiny section of forgettable news tidbits.

I get that the show results need to be preserved for historical purposes or whatever, but there has to be a better way go about it.

Overall, I found the latest issue very disappointing and lacking. 

Has Keller even done a Torch Talk in a long time? He's very mistaken if he doesn't think that's still his bread and butter.

Thanks.  Doesn't sound all that compelling.  

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/7/2020 at 8:41 AM, WingedEagle said:

Thanks.  Doesn't sound all that compelling.  

The Sept. 9th issue (yes, I'm a week behind) was more of the same + two misspellings of Swole in the same review and a column presumably by Greg Parks that ends with a footnote about Bruce Mitchell, so it's unclear who actually wrote it (but probably Parks). 

What a sloppy shop.

Far cry from what the Torch used to be. 

It's kind of sad to see. 

The site is dominated by audio shows, which I have no interest in, so maybe I'm just not the ideal audience for what the Torch is now.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...
12 hours ago, BigBadMick said:

Any recommendations on articles, good time periods, contributing writers to watch out for?

Torch Talks are generally a must-read.

Bruce Mitchell is lazy and overrated 90% of the time, but when he actually puts in some effort, he's good. So much phoned-in crap to wade through to find those gems though.

I wasn't around for this, but Keller's coverage of the Vince steroid trial supposedly blew Meltzer's out of the water.

I was around for this, and Keller's coverage of the WCW sale also blew Meltzer's out of the water.

• 1 month later...

1996-97 roughly.  Overtime I got distracted by online discussions which were easy and conversational, and got lazy about written stuff for publication which required work. My fault as I do have a big streak of The Dude in me and might be the laziest person in Los Angles. :)

• 4 weeks later...

It’s been a while since I have been on the Torch but I used to love listening to the old Wade shows from the ‘90s that he would post.  I typically liked Bruce Mitchell when talking about some historic topics (YMMV considering how things wound up going for him).  Wade used to have a list of recommended VIP audio shows that was a pretty good guide.

I’ll always stan Alan4L.