Pro Wrestling Only

The Wade Keller Appreciation Thread

Loss

Yahoo Sports signs its writers to contracts. My guess is that Dave's first contract wasn't that lucrative because the competition for MMA writers isn't the same as it is for, say, top baseball writers (who make about $125K at Yahoo.) That said, I suspect it's a nice supplementary chunk of change and that given the interest in his articles, he'll be able to ask for a significant bump the next time around.

Yahoo has been smart in becoming a news leader in MMA, where there's still a real vacuum of attention from major newspapers, Sports Illustrated, ESPN, etc. I suspect they'll have an interest in protecting their lead in that area (unless our national fascination with the sport just nosedives or Yahoo drops its investment in providing content.)

• Replies 516
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Speaking of the Torch, they've just opened a third brand, I mean, affiliated website called prowrestling.net ran solely by former Torch assistant editor Jason Powell, whose main selling point seems to be that all the content will be completely free. Just what we need. <_>

Dear PWTorch Forum member,

I have exciting news. There is a new free website that launched today, a co-affiliate of PWTorch run by a familiar name. It's owner and operator is Jason Powell, former assistant editor of PWTorch.

http://www.prowrestling.net

He is working full-time on this new website and I'd like to invite you to check it out today. It's going to be updated with news throughout each day, virtually every day year-round. It's an interesting concept-site, in that Jason is the sole contributor. He is immersing himself in pro wrestling full time day and night. He will review everything he watches (PPVs, TV shows, DVDs) and review everything he reads (books, newsletters, magazines, websites), plus he will write editorials and blogs reacting to everything he's watching and reading. Plus, he's got contacts inside the business and he'll be breaking news on a regular basis, just as he did during his five years working full time for PWTorch and several years part time.

Those of you who have been reading the Torch the past ten years know Jason Powell well. He began writing for the Torch Newsletter back in 1998 and was a big part of the website when we launched in 1999. After working here five years full–time as assistant editor, he moved on to work for Fanball.com and the nationally distributed magazine Fantasy Football Weekly where he was Senior Editor and got to write about one of his other passions full–time. Covering pro wrestling never left his blood, though, and he has now returned to pro wrestling reporting full time as of this week, fulfilling a dream to run his own business.

His mission is to make http://www.prowrestling.net your no. 1 stop when you're looking for that "wrestling news fix" we all crave. He is going to do one thing and do it well - by concentrating on just the website around the clock, every day. (By the way, PWTorch.com will continue to feature reports and commentaries by the current PWTorch staff and nothing will change because of the launch of Jason’s new site. I anticipate they will compliment each other very well and build a synergy over time.)

I encourage everyone to check out Jason’s new website. There’s never been anyone with his qualifications, sources, writing ability, and experience dedicating themselves full time to covering pro wrestling exclusively for a website that is free for everyone. I’m a big fan of his reporting and writing style, and I hope you’ll support his new venture. I’ve been pleased to use my experience with websites and running a business to help Jason build and promote the site out of the gate, and am excited to see this new business grow for years to come - with your support being an integral part of that success.

It's a hard website name to forget: http://www.prowrestling.net

Thanks for checking it out. I know he looks forward to your feedback today.

Sincerely,

Wade Keller, editor

Pro Wrestling Torch

P.S. - He's already posted several news updates today and has reports up on last night's TNA PPV along with all recent TV shows and several ROH DVDs (He plans to reviews new DVD releases as soon as they come out). He also will be bringing back a favorite feature that used to be part of PWTorch - his "Hitlist" column.

Interesting concept.

Don't know if the timing is right for it (pro wrestling being dead and all), or if Jason is a big enough "draw" to anchor it from a traffic standpoint. Internet marking advertising $$$ is up and going up, but one gets the feeling that the majority of that is going in the pockets of the big companies. Add in the fact the "pro wrestling" would likely have the same advertising attractiveness online as it does on TV, regardless of the numbers drawn.

But an interesting concept.

John

Very interesting thread. I haven't read Keller in years and the last few times I did I felt it was a waste of time and the only thing he had to offer were the interviews. That being said, I clearly remember reading that dig Meltzer got in at him. I honestly believe that Meltzer was thinking about the USA Today/NY Post delineation he's always mentioned. I kind of agree with that as the Torch seemed all about fluff and the PWI version of sheets even before I stopped subscribing in the mid-90s. I have heard from many folks over the years who think that Dave is arrogant or thinks he's above everyone else, but honestly I think he's just kind of in his own world (not in a Kurt Angle way) who sometimes says stuff that can be perceived as a dig. He's just constantly so busy with so many committments and thoughts running through his head that political correctness, good manners, or tactful communication take a back seat.

I'm surprised no one has commented on the part where Wade wrote about the Torch being an essential secondary source to the Observer in writing a history of wrestling. While I don't have much knowledge about this reporting war that happened over the Fusient thing, I think he is overestimating himself a lot here. Unless someone needed specific details about TV show formats and results, I can't see how the Torch would be that valuable at all.

It also bugs me how Keller and various other online reporters always tend to reference scooping each other. I do appreciate Meltzer sitting back and reporting the story correctly and thoroughly and not worrying about beating others to the punch. Unfortunately in this internet age and tabloid TV age, I think that approach is sadly considered as outdated as the Observer's layout.

Also interesting that Keller is so heavily pushing a site that I can forsee massively hurting his business.

Wade's not off base with the important secondary source thing. He did a lot of excellent reporting on the McMahon steroids trial and other big stories. If you were writing a serious history of pro wrestling, you would definitely want to read old Torches, though the current product is usually pretty flimsy.

Posted Image

Cowboy the motherfuck up!

What do you consider the main reason(s) NOT to begin eating a vegan (strict vegetarian) diet? (select all that apply):

* I am convinced meat and dairy is necessary to be healthy.

* I couldn't live without certain animal-based staples in my diet!

* I don't know enough about how to find or make vegan meals.

* I eat out a lot and wouldn't be able to find vegan meals.

* I wouldn't want to deal with the social stigma of being "different."

* I believe animals were put on this planet for humans to eat, regardless of their living conditions and slaughter methods.

I guess it's important to make them "rube answers". But perhaps the ones that apply to some of us:

* I like the taste of beef

* I like the taste of pork

* I like the taste of chicken

* I like the taste of fish

* I like the taste of lamb

* A nice greasey burger hits the spot

* WTF would I want to eat tofu-based cheese and soy pepperoni when the real thing tastes fucking great

* Popeye's chicken... yummy

* Mmmmm.... steak

Sunday dinner: One of the best places to eat on the go is Chiptole. Their vegan tacos or burritos are a great tasting, nutritionally strong on-the-go option. Just choose the vegetarian option, and skip the cheese and sour cream. Sunday night, I got the usual - three soft tacos (crunchy shells are vegan-safe, too) with rice, black beans, green peppers & onions, medium green salsa, corn, and guacamole, plus some Tobasco sauce. Their guac is the best out there and I don't miss the cheese at all. Be sure not to opt for pinto beans, as they have pork or something added for flavor to those. Cost: $7.

The fuck? And eat that crap and miss out on Chipotle's tasty marinated Chicken, or marinated Asada, or that excellent Carnitas, or get that extra kick of the Barbacoa?

Count me out.

And yes... someone can reference this post when I keel over from clogged arteries.

John

What do you consider the main reason(s) NOT to begin eating a vegan (strict vegetarian) diet? (select all that apply):

* I am convinced meat and dairy is necessary to be healthy.

* I couldn't live without certain animal-based staples in my diet!

* I don't know enough about how to find or make vegan meals.

* I eat out a lot and wouldn't be able to find vegan meals.

* I wouldn't want to deal with the social stigma of being "different."

* I believe animals were put on this planet for humans to eat, regardless of their living conditions and slaughter methods.

* Animals are not human beings, and it's stupid to treat them like they are.* If they're intelligent enough to be treated with the same dignity as human beings, then all those carnivores and omnivores out there in the animal kingdom have some explaining to do. I saw that episode of "Penn & Teller's Bullshit!" where they were talking about PETA, and there was a chicken happily pecking away at a piece of KFC. If actual chickens have no problem with eating chicken, then I don't see why I should.

* Also, I once got into an argument about vegetarianism on another board that ended with someone accusing me of "trivializing the vegetarian lifestyle". This might be the single dumbest thing I've ever read on the internet. Think of the ground that covers.

* JDW's tape-watching get-togethers have to be the King of something, dammit.

*Obviously, if there is an animal that you find sufficiently adorable that you like to treat like a human for your own amusement, that's fine. If you actually think Fido has a clue what the fuck you're going on about, you're a moron.

SLL's source of social awareness: Showtime.

As someone who's pretty familiar with the vegan subculture and mostly appreciative of it, Wade's blog made me double facepalm. Won't someone please think of the dairy cows! I'm sorry, but a guy who preaches about the health advantages of vegan diet yet eats American white bread because whole grain gives him "indigestion" is an unmitigated fucking retard. And for someone who supposedly makes a living writing, the unedited blog really underlines how BAD he is at it.

I don't even eat meat and I think this is dipshitted. The only reason not to eat meat is that you don't like it. If factory farming offends you (and it should), it doesn't follow that you shouldn't eat meat and dairy, it follows that you should only eat ethically farmed meat and dairy, which happens to make normal stuff taste like cardboard and snot anyway.

I'd be more in favor of the veggie lifestyle if the people who live it didn't look like they were auditioning for Philadelphia: The Musical.

I mean, holy Christ, Wade looks like he'd have to double his body weight to catch up with Sean Waltman,

Is it just me or once you get past salads, doesn't it seem like the rest of the vegan menu consists of tasteless glop?

Friday night's dinner was delicious and easy. Boiled spiral pasta in one pot and in another pot a jar of red spicy coconut vegan Thai sauce bought on sale at World Market, a half can of coconut milk, and a can of mock duck (wheat-gluten protein, with a great protein texture that provides that variety meat-eaters are used to in meals) were heated up on med. heat while the pasta was boiled with some full stem frozen green beans added late (so they cooked, but didn't get soggy). Then I drained the pasta, added the sauce and mock duck, and it was a restaurant-level quality dish in my opinion in 20 minutes with enough leftovers for another serving another day. Time to prepare: 20 min. (with leftovers ready to heat up later for future meal.) Cost per serving: $5-6.

Wheat-gluten protein? No thanks. Also lol @ the term "meat-eaters" as if they are the ones with the "LOOK AT ME BEING DIFFERENT" attitude.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm sure he does, but it's an ad-driven site that in its design & style will siphon readers away from the Torch site (at least the free version).

Maybe the idea is that the pay site users will stay put and the new site will have more readers because it will draw Torch readers and new readers/people wary of the Torch (which may not actually make any sense)? I dunno. It's still a strange move.

Haven't talked to Wade in a while, so don't know his concept here. But it looks to me like attempting to tap into two revenue streams.

Why would Disney own ABC and ESPN when people watching ESPN won't be watching ABC at that time? There's plenty of audience and revenue from both.

John

They aren't making banner ad money from a wrestling site.

It can't be a ton.

I suspect that basic traffic driven ad revenue hasn't matured to the point where it cares whether the traffic is "wrestling fans" or "tennis fans". Other than the monster sites, it's about driving traffic.

Overhead is likely low. Looks to me like it's on Wade's sever/host, so it simply rolls into his existing hosting deal. Development costs likely are nil - Wade probably did it himself, if he's overtime learned how to do his own site (I sort of assume he has).

On ads, every page is loaded through the moon on them. I'm not getting pop ups, but I don't know if that's my own settings of if they simply don't have them.

I also don't think Jason is doing that as a fulltime income, which makes it's side income.

So Wade may be looking at what "affiliate sites" off the Torch do as far as drawing in revenue and additional profit.

Doesn't need to be much.

John

• 2 weeks later...

From May 2007, Wade gives star ratings to UFC Fights? I have never seen this discussed before, but I must have missed it.

By Wade Keller, Torch editor

May 26, 2007, 21:50

UFC 71 PPV

MAY 26, 2007

LAS VEGAS, NEV. AT MGM

Mike Goldberg and Joe Rogan introduced the show and previewed the top matches.

1 -- CHRIS LEBEN (26, 5-11, 185, Seattle) vs. KALIB STARNES (32, 6-3, 186, Canada)

ROUND ONE: Leben bloodied Stares early under his left eye. Leben slipped on a roundhouse kick, but he recovered nicely. Leben left himself open at 4:00 after a wild spin backfist attempt. Stares took him down and threw body shots. In the last five seconds, Stares battered Leben badly against the fence. Leben was probably saved by the bell. That late flurry could give Stares the round. He celebrated after the round to try to sway judges or just because he felt good about how he ended the round.

ROUND TWO: Leben went for another spinning backfist again. Stares scored with a right to Leben's head, then took him down. Leben looked stunned by the punch, but not out. They ended back up on their feet at 2:00, although he took some punches on the ground. Both fighters appeared pretty winded by mid-round. Leben threw a flurry of punches at 4:00, but Starnes covered well enough to survive the flurry. That scored points for Leben. Nice round considered how winded they were most of the way. Close round. Edge to Leben.

THIRD ROUND: Leben roundkicked Starnes's liver. Starnes appeared to be really hurt by it. Leben took him to the mat and controlled him there. Goldberg argued that Starnes won both rounds to this point. Rogan didn't agree. Starnes flipped on top of Leben at 2:45. He stayed there to end the fight, including a flurry of hammerfists. They hugged after the fight. Leben even gave Starnes a quick kiss on the chin.

Eddie Bravo said the fight was hard to score - all three rounds. He gave first round to Starnes, second to Leben, and third to Starns. I agree.

RESULT: Starnes via unanimous decision. Judges went: 29-28, 30-27, and 28-29.

POST-FIGHT: Rogan interviewed Starnes afterward. He said he thinks Leben won the fight. Rogan asked Leben what he thought. He said "screw the judges," he judges the fight on what the fans say. He asked the fans. They booed him a little because he didn't return the graciousness that Starnes gave him. It was cool to interview both fighters together afterward. Leben grabbed Rogan's mic and said he became an uncle and told people where to party with him later.

STAR RATING (***-) - Exciting fight. They worked hard, but it wasn't a classic because it was haphazard at times or they seemed tired sooner than they should have. Good start to the show.

RAMIFICATIONS: Leben looked good enough he'll remain a main PPV card or Fight Night card fighter, but he's at risk of being the guy who tests others, but is pegged as a mid-range fighter in his division, not a title contender.

2 -- HOUSTON ALEXANDER (35, 6-0, 202) vs. KEITH JARDINE (31, 6-2, 205)

PRE-FIGHT HYPE: It's Alexander's UFC debut. Five of his six wins have come by stoppage or submission. Jardine said he's upset he's not fighting a top contender. Alexander said Jardine shouldn't make the mistake of taking him lightly. Rogan said this is an amazing opportunity for Alexander to jump up the ladder quickly.

ROUND ONE: Jardine stunned Alexander early, taking him off his feet. Alexander came back and clutched Jardine and wouldn't let him hit him again. Alexander than took Jardine out with a 20 second flurry of punches and at least one solid knee. The ref gave Jardine every chance to come back, and Jardine kept trying to stand up again. But every time, Alexander just laid in another punch or knee. Jardine was knocked out cold at the end, falling flat on his face with his mouth piece falling out. A minute later he asked his cornermen what happened. He looked devastated. Rogan went nuts, and rightfully so. That's a huge upset, but only because Alexander was untested, as opposed to proven to be mediocre. Alexander stood over Jardine's KO'd body and let out some trash talking. He was elated.

RESULT: Alexander at 0:48.

POST-FIGHT: Alexander told Rogan afterward he wasn't hurt earlier; he just slipped. He gave Jardine props, but touted his punching power during the replay.

STAR RATING (**+) - Wow. One of those really memorable knockouts with added excitement because it was such an upset, and because Jardine was cocky in the pre-fight promos about being "pissed off" he had to waste his time against a nobody like Alexander. He's not a nobody anymore.

RAMIFICATIONS: Huge setback for Jardine, obviously. Alexander showed really nice fire and power and charisma, so whatever his next test is will be an anticipated fight.

3 -- IVAN SALAVERRY (36, 6-0, 184, Toronto) vs. TERRY MARTIN (26, 5-9, 186, Chicago)

PRE-FIGHT: Tito Ortiz accompanied Salaverry. Rogan called Salaverry one of the smartest fighters. He said he's very clever at avoiding damage in fights. Salaverry hit some early inside leg kicks. Martin connected with a right and then clutched him standing. He tried to take him down. but Salaverry wouldn't go down at first. Then when he did, he dumped him on his head, threw a barrage of punches, and the ref stepped in. Salaverry didn't appear hurt afterward, but because he didn't show any fight and just kneeled there after being thrown onto his head and shoulder, it's tough to argue with the ref's decision. It was closer to an early stoppage than a late stoppage to be sure.

RESULT: Martin via ref stoppage at 2:04.

POST-FIGHT: They hugged afterward. Salaverry appeared very disappointed afterward. The crowd moaned and booed a little, thinking the stoppage was early. You always have to consider when fights are in Vegas that a lot of fans who had money on a losing fighter get disgruntled if they think a decision was controversial. Martin came across very nice in the interview afterward.

STAR RATING: (*+) - Disappointing fight only because it didn't last long and the finish was slightly indecisive.

RAMIFICATIONS: Martin looked powerful, but it had a small "fluke" aspect to it so it neither launchees Martin nor destroys Salaverry.

CELEBRITIES SO FAR: David Spade, Mandy Moore, Adam Sandler, Kevin James, Criss Angel.

4 -- JOSH BURKMAN (27, 5-10, 171, USA) vs. KARO PARISAN (24, 5-10, 170, Armenia)

PRE-FIGHT: Great forehead-to-forehead staredown before the fight.

FIRST ROUND: They swung for the fences early and each landed. Karo caught a Burkman kick. Good opening minute. Things settled down for about ten seconds, then they swung for the fences again. Burkman tackled Karo to the mat at 2:30. He stood up and as Karo got up, he scored with a punch and a knee. Karo fired back with some nice punches and then a great judo throw that popped the crowd. Great battle for leverage in the final 30 seconds. Burkman worked hard to avoid the kimura by Karo. Rogan said, "Man, what a fight we have here." Close, good round.

SECOND ROUND: Rogan talked about cardio being an issue with both fighters in the past. Burkman landed a punch. Karo signalled to bring it on. Karo then scored with a couple punches. Rogan and Goldberg marvelled at Karo's improved stand-up skills. Burkman looked spent and Karo looked fresh mid-round. Rogan said Burkman's "explosive go for broke style uuses so much energy." Karo wins that round easily, although he seemed to know it and paced himself in the second round to avoid taking any chances that would put the round into doubt.

THIRD ROUND: Burkman's corner told him he had to go all out in this round to have a chance. Burkman landed a strong body blow with his right hand early, but Karo just signalled for him to bring it on. Burkamn swung wildly again, but Karro avoided iteasily. Burkman wasn't being conservative, as he continued to push the pace. They clutched against the fence at 1:00. Burkman lifted and slammed Karo who almost landed awkwardly on his arm. Burkman was on top, but Karo was working for a kimura the whole time. Burkman knew it and tried to catch his breath and hug Karo closely. Burkman complained to the ref that he was holding his glove. Mid-way they were back on their feet, but still clutching. Karo applied an armbar. Burkman held on for dear life and forced Karo to release. The final minute or so was more of a struggle for throws than punches.

Eddie Bravo gave first two to Karo and third round to Burkman, but said it was very close.

RESULT: Karo Parisan via judges' decision 30-27, 30-27, 29-28.

POST-FIGHT: Karo begged Dana White for a title shot. Rogan noted that an injury cost him his previous title shot. He said he wants the winner of Serra and Hughes.

STAR RATING (***): Good fight with a nice mix of stand-up punches, leverage battles, and submission attempts by Karo. The downside is Burkman was blown up mid-way into round two, so that slowed down the fight. It lived up to its billing, but didn't exceed it. Not a classic, must-see fight, but definitely added to the quality of what was a good show up to this point.

RAMIFICATIONS: Karo made a good case for his deserving a title shot. Burkman looked strong enough that won't drop off the map of contender matches.

5 -- DIN THOMAS (30, 5-10, 155, Delaware) vs. JEREMY STEVENS (21, 5-9, 156)

ROUND ONE: Thomas took Stevens down 30 seconds in. Thomas passed his guard a minute later. Thomas got his back at 3:30 and attempted a rear choke. Stevens slipped on top at 4:30 and went for some punches as Thomas was on his back. They were wild and Thomas stayed clam. Thomas stood upa nd went for a big punch in the final seconds. "Wow, what an end to that round," said Rogan. He was right. Thomas gets the round, but Stevens showed good resilience when in trouble

ROUND TWO: Stevens came out with good energy. Thomas mid-way through the round applied an armbar. Stevens claimed he didn't tap, but he definitely made a single tapping motion. Rogan said even if he didn't intend to tap, he was a goner because it was locked on.

RESULT: Thomas at 2:44 via submission.

POST-FIGHT: Rogan said during the replay it didn't look like he tapped, but it didn't matter. He said there was nothing stopping him from snapping his arm if the ref hadn't stepped in. Thomas said, "He probably didn't tap, but I was going to break his arm and take it home with me. Jeremy, happy birthday, brother." Thomas called out Floyd Mayweather to a fight. Really good post-fight promo by Thomas.

STAR RATING: (***-) - A nice mix of high-energy stand-up and skillful ground fighting. It's nice to have that nice of a display of ground fighting on this card since so much has been stand-up otherwise.

6 -- CHUCK LIDDELL (37, 6-2, 205, San Luis Obispo, Calif.) vs. QUINTON "RAMPAGE" JACKSON (28, 6-1, 205, Irvine, Calif./Memphis, Tenn.)

PREFIGHT: Randy Couture stuck with is prediction that Jackson would win. Rogan said Chuck looks calm and Quinton looks nervous. They showed Dan Henderson in the front row and said he's next in line.

ROUND ONE: Nice staredown before the fight. They circled and tested their spacing. Then Jackson knocked Liddell down with a right hook to the chin, then finished him with an elbow and several punches. Liddell went limp and ref John McCarthys tepped in.

RESULT: Rampage via KO in 3:00.

STAR RATING (***-): Just a huge KO for Jackson. This wasn't a three-star fight if it was two other guys, but the payoff of seeing Liddell get taken down that decisively early makes it historical.

POST-FIGHT: Rampage gave a great post-fight promo, and you knew he would. Liddell was resigned and said Jackson caught him, what else can he say. Rogan called Handerson into the ring. Rampage said they're great friend. They hugged. Rogan asked Henderson about fighting Jackson. Henderson said he's up for fighting a friend. "I'd be happy to make some money with some friend." Rampage said Henderson has a great crib and he wants one now. Rogan said he's going to make big money from here on out.

Wade Keller didn't write this, but he did publish it.

Could Jeff Hardy’s house burning down be retaliation by WWE? Did Jeff have is actual results inside his home? It sure seems very convenient. WWE sends Jeff home for sixty days and then his house goes up in flames. It claimed his dog as well. Could WWE have done this to make Jeff enter a rehab facility? Jeff could have refused and WWE went to drastic means to get him help. Without a home would Jeff be more open to treatment?

Look, this is all just talk. There is no proof that WWE planned this out to get congress off their back. It just seems a tad convenient. It is what they call food for thought. This isn’t as farfetched as it seems as well. WWE has a history of covering up events they don’t like or needed to go away. He mid-nineties come to mind instantly. It is only fifteen years or so since some of those problems. Could this be a new WWE scandal or is it still the continuation of the Chris Benoit fiasco? Who can say? It sure makes for some good discussion and fun conspiracy theories though.