Pro Wrestling Only

Triplemania XXVII Tonight!

sek69

On 8/5/2019 at 3:33 AM, KawadaSmile said:

I saw only the Cain Velasquez match and how is a dude that big doing shit like that?

Book him. Forever. Push him to the moon. Dude CHOSE to pursuit a different style than what one would expect from a former UFC Heavyweight Champion and is very good at it.

Yeah that performance from Cain was unbelievable within the context of who he is. The fact that he's beat Lesnar before in real life would make WWE idiotic allowing him go to AEW

But I would just love a good run in AAA in honesty, too much focus on US companies really, and the crowd loved him. 

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1 hour ago, Dale Wolfe said:

Yeah that performance from Cain was unbelievable within the context of who he is. The fact that he's banged Lesnar before in real life would make WWE idiotic allowing him go to AEW

But I would just love a good run in AAA in honesty, too much focus on US companies really, and the crowd loved him. 

Uh, I don't think we use "banged" in the same way.

Cain said he had two more matches left with AAA (probably their NYC and LA shows), then I'd expect WWE to hand him a  blank check just to keep him from AEW.

Also AAA really wants AEW guys to appear on their US shows, they may get a good crowd in LA without them but they won't sell many tickets in the Garden just with AAA guys alone. AEW didn't have any interest intitally, but if they are going to do a Fenix-Kenny program it would make sense to have it at MSG. 

6 hours ago, sek69 said:

Cain said he had two more matches left with AAA (probably their NYC and LA shows), then I'd expect WWE to hand him a  blank check just to keep him from AEW.

Also AAA really wants AEW guys to appear on their US shows, they may get a good crowd in LA without them but they won't sell many tickets in the Garden just with AAA guys alone. AEW didn't have any interest intitally, but if they are going to do a Fenix-Kenny program it would make sense to have it at MSG. 

I really doubt AEW wants to step on them doing their own MSG show, which will likely happen eventually. Nor do they want to be connected to a show that is pretty likely to be half full at best. 

8 hours ago, sek69 said:

It would be more than half full if AEW was involved and promoting it.

They are really late in the game to flip that switch of promoting the AAA show when they're two weeks from the national TV debut. I mean, I'd love to see it happen, I'm likely to go to that show and any AEW involvement would be pretty sweet, just doesn't feel too likely.

It wouldn't be pure lucha libre if it were loaded with AEW talent, which speaks to how poorly thought out AAA's promoting of the show has been. They scheduled it for Mexican Independence Day weekend with the idea of promoting authentic Mexican entertainment to Mexican tourists. But I figure most people who travel abroad aren't going to be particularly interested in checking out something they can see back home.

It comes off as if someone in AAA did a cursory search of the largest Spanish speaking areas in the US, and didn't bother to find out that in NYC the Hispanic population is largely Puerto Rican and Dominican. Chicago would have been a better choice demographic wise, but that wouldn't have the status appeal of running a show in MSG. 

In term of pure fun, this show is easy top 5 of the year for me. Because even the bad stuff is at least entertaining usually on a AAA big card.

So, finally, Lady Maravilla fucks Nino, although not in the way he probably wanted. Bitch is great.

The 6-men title car crash was exactly what it should have been. Poder Del Norte keeps on being the most reliable 6-men rudos team in AAA. 

Konnan looks fragile. :(  Aerostar doesn't give a fuck !

LA Park and sons showing up to screw Pagano's victory was awesome. What a great look too. Hopefully this leads to a crazy-ass garbage brawl somewhere.

The women ladder match was not exactly good, but it was a crazy car crash. Damn, I was scared for Chicka Tormenta, she literaly jumped over the ladder straight to the floor. Tessa winning was cool, and a title match against Fabi should be really really good. With AAA working with both IMPACT and AEW, I wonder if we could get some cool talent exchange at one point, like say, Tessa in AEW... Also :

21 hours ago, Alucard said:

Loved seeing Ayako Hamada involved again, always a favorite.

Yeah ! I guess working as a translator did not cut it, fuck Japan and its apologizing culture and let's work Mexico where it's ok to do drugs ! Hopefully she works as a regular. I feel way old though, watching both Ayako & Fabi work as veterans, when I basically saw both of them debut on ARSION VCR tapes 20 years ago... 

The three last matches were just perfect for what it was. I don't watch MMA, so the fuck if I know who Cain Velasquez is, but understandably he's a big deal and he seems to have quite a bit of potential too. Killer Kross & Scarlett are the perfect match, really hoping AEW grabs them. Fun and successful celebrity match. Cody having his picture taken alongside Velasquez can't hurt AEW in term of PR I guess if he's such a big name.

Young Bucks & Omega working straight lucha rudos was terrific. What more to say, just a great match, and the perspective of Omega vs Fenix in a big title match is awesome.

That main event... Well, Blue Demon should not do any pro-wrestling spot nor try to kick : only slap, hit his opponent with props and bleed like a freak. Wagner sporting the all white outfit knew. That's Jerry Lawler-like foreshadowing here. Blood & guts pro-wresting you ask ? That visual of Blue Demon, arm and chest all red from his own blood, holding down Wagner in a submission hold, was classic. Hammer shots on the fingers ? Cement block on the head ? Yeah, that shit was great in term of pure organic brutality. Hijo del Tirantes still sucks at his job though, so there was kind of a botch at one point. Great post-match too. I don't speak Spanish but I understand a bit since French is a close language, did I miss something or Wagner said he retired or wanted to retire ? Gotta love Blue Demon pissing on his heart-felt promo afterward.

Yeah, one hell of a fun show.

If Chael's talking, he's working. 

9 hours ago, joeg said:

Something I don't understand about AAA is how a company that is so good at long term booking and long term story telling, can be so disorganized with everything else. 

AAA really isn't good at long term booking or storytelling though. Or more accurately, they keep trying to pin long term plans on people no one should believe would stick around that long.

Cubsfan mentioned AAA's original plan was to have LA Park beat Wagner for his mask one year, hair the next, and then pay it off by having Psycho Clown be the one to finally take Park's mask in the end. That's a great plan except that no one who's paid attention to the last 20+ years would have expected Park to stick around that long. The moment he got his name back out there, there was absolutely zero chance he was going to drop his mask. 

46 minutes ago, El-P said:

did I miss something or Wagner said he retired or wanted to retire ? Gotta love Blue Demon pissing on his heart-felt promo afterward.

He explained later after that he wasn't retiring right then but that his retirement will be like a year long thing.

7 hours ago, Alucard said:

He explained later after that he wasn't retiring right then but that his retirement will be like a year long thing.

Ok, thanks !

Still not over that incredible bloodbath and great post match.

7 hours ago, sek69 said:

Cubsfan mentioned AAA's original plan was to have LA Park beat Wagner for his mask one year, hair the next, and then pay it off by having Psycho Clown be the one to finally take Park's mask in the end.

Would have been awesome. Park is one guy who will probably never lose his mask though.

My personal theory is Dorian Roldan either is incredibly naive or has the worst case of goldfish brain in history as he keeps letting the same people (Park, Vamp, Konnan for starters) work him over and over with the same results every time.  

This year in particular they were aiming for a more mainstream, casual audience with Cain. Which to be fair worked pretty damn well for them by all accounts, so fair play there. The only problem is there are probably slim odds anyone drawn in for Cain will stick around for the usual WTF-ery that is the usual AAA event.

I'm halfway through the show and find it a really fun watch.  Everything thus far has been fun in one form or another with the showcase flying matches the standouts to this point.  Even their rumble, which sounded like a mess on paper, had enough going on that it was never boring.  Not sure how I'd feel if I had to watch it in one sitting as opposed to over the course of a week, but its the most fun I've had watching a full lucha show in some time.

LA Park needs to stop stealing the minis' ties.