Pro Wrestling Only

The Official Seth Rollins is Terrible Thread

KawadaSmile

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

6 minutes ago, Mad Dog said:

Ziggler. For all the shit I give him, he was good at one point and he was over. His performance in that Survivor Series match blows anything Seth Rollins has ever touched away. 

Also see the Payback match with Del Rio. It tells a better self-contained story than anything Seth has been involved with since the Shield split. And Dolph actually succeeds in eliciting some babyface sympathy there.

Dolph also held up his end as the babyface foil for Miz in their 2016 program. It was the start of Miz *really* discovering himself as a heel again, but Dolph wasn't just a cardboard babyface like Seth would've surely been in that same role.

• 1 month later...

I cannot believe I am saying this, but to be fair to Seth, he did a decent job given what he had to work with. His expressions are still terrible and he cannot cut a decent interview to save his life - although a lot of that has to do with WWE scripting every single word of promos to ensure all the catchphrases and their favourite terms are mentioned in the promo - but this booking was always going to kill both him and the match. It was genuinely terrible booking, and I am honestly shocked WWE did this once again for Hell in a Cell, a gimmick which promises the absence of such fuck finishes. From what I have read, they did not even have an impromptu dark match between Rollins and Fiend to send the live crowd home happy, and that is not just incompetent booking, it's genuinely contemptuous, spiteful booking. 

This was absolutely not Seth's fault. His interview earlier in the night was shit but that match was all down to the booking. It's on Heyman or Vince. 

But surely some of these motherfuckers need to learn how to say no. When they get booking as shit as that, put your foot down. Protect your character. Act like a top guy. What's gonna happen? Vince will fire Seth Rollins? All he's gotta do in that situation is say "see you on Wednesday"

Ultimately, it's what everyone said at the time the match was booked - this was way too early to thrust the Fiend into a title match, before they'd really figured out how they want the character to work. They could have done this match with another babyface, in the mid-card, and while it probably would have been bad, it wouldn't have turned off an entire fanbase.

But they wanted to milk the Fiend, which was the hot character. And they wanted to do it... in service of trying yet again to get Seth Rollins over. Except, not really, because the answer in that case would be that Seth just fucking wins, full stop. 

So we're back to the modern WWE problem of always, always threading a needle, making the booking 50/50 even within the match. And so everyone is less over now than yesterday.