Pro Wrestling Only

NXT Takeover: Toronto 2019

Ricky Jackson

• Replies 260
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 out of 3 Falls Match for the NXT Championship (first fall is a classic match, second fall is a street fight, third fall stipulation will be decided by William Regal if necessary): Adam Cole (c) vs. Johnny Gargano

•NXT Women’s Championship Match: Shayna Baszler (c) vs. Mia Yim
•NXT Tag Team Championship Match: Street Profits (c) vs. Undisputed Era
•Candice LeRae vs. Io Shirai
•Triple Threat Match for the NXT North American Championship: Velveteen Dream (c) vs. Pete Dunne vs. Roderick Strong

I don't like the subplot of The Undisputed Era potentially winning all of the gold. I would like the NA Title match more if Strong wasn't in it, for example. I think Mia Yim might win the title just because I think they're going to strap Io and another Shayna/Io match doesn't make sense, especially if they're both heel now. It feels generic that the first fall of the 2/3 falls main event is "normal match."

Matches should still all be decent. I think Candice is gonna die a thousand deaths tonight. 

Gargano vs Cole has excess for the sake of it written all over it. The last match of theirs I saw the the epitome of WWE self-conscious epic.

I used to love the Takeover shows, but now I can't find myself the motivation to watch them. Especially being one day late on the G1 already. Candice Lerae vs Io Shirai is he one match I would be interested in though, I like both of them. The few I've seen from Mia Yim (granted, it's been a while) I wasn't impressed with.

3 minutes ago, goodhelmet said:

I am pretty sure they are just going to follow the formula from the Austin-HHH 3 Stages of Hell...

Rarely a match wore a more adequate name. The Triple H wankery epic in all its splendor. Austin didn't manage to not make this boring and overblown.

I'd mark out pretty hard if the first fall ended in like five minutes with a small package or something like that.

Yim/Baszler is my sleeper pick for MOTN. They had a really good match on NXT earlier this year, and they should be able to build and expand upon it. More than anything, I hope the match marks the end of Shayna's strangehold on the belt. Moving her to the main roster makes sense because there's no one left on NXT for her to run through and Becky and Bayley both desperately need fresh challengers. Yim/Shirai would be a dope title feud even if Mia is just a transitional champion to move the belt to Io.

3 minutes ago, NintendoLogic said:

I'd mark out pretty hard if the first fall ended in like five minutes with a small package or something like that.

Yim/Baszler is my sleeper pick for MOTN. They had a really good match on NXT earlier this year, and they should be able to build and expand upon it. More than anything, I hope the match marks the end of Shayna's strangehold on the belt. Moving her to the main roster makes sense because there's no one left on NXT for her to run through and Becky and Bayley both desperately need fresh challengers. Yim/Shirai would be a dope title feud even if Mia is just a transitional champion to move the belt to Io.

I don't know. My biggest pet peeve about these matches are when the first fall(s) end quickly like that. I wouldn't mind if one fall matches end like that occasionally but it usually is only reserved for 2/3 matches. 

So it looks like I'm not the only one with no enthusiasm for Takeover? I'm sure it'll deliver for the audience but I've never been hugely intonthe big Gargano matches and I really can't take Adam Cole and his shitty look and his stupid bunny hop finisher seriously at all. I'm also pretty sure he no sold a reverse rana in their last match.

Gargano is hit or miss for me. I don't dislike him it just always feels like his feuds last too fucking long. The Ciampa shit, even without injuries, felt like it was never ending. Now this Adam Cole feud feels the same way. And I don't think Cole is anywhere as good as Andrade, so I don't see the match being as good as Gargano/Andrade was. 

There will definitely be A LOT of near falls & finisher kickouts. Complete with a zoom in shot of the "OMG, I can't believe he kicked out!" faces about thirty times. You'll also get the infamous "lost stare" sell that Gargano always does after taking a big spot. I think it's his "I'm concussed" face. 

2 hours ago, Jmare007 said:

Over/Under for ridiculous kickouts in Cole vs Gargano? 4.5?

I can only imagine the 45 minute "epic" they are gonna to come up with Shawn Michaels as their agent :lol:

I like that one of the jokes is Regal announcing that the 3rd fall is a 60 minute iron man match.  The reality is that there is no way in hell this match goes under 45 minutes.  Put a ton of money on the over and probably a good deal on over 60 minutes.  I kind of like the idea of the 3rd fall being a loser leaves NXT although Gargano on the main roster is going to suck for him given the current product

I figure either Strong or ReDragon is winning a title tonight but not both.   I wouldn't drop the title on Dream unless the plan is that he goes after Adam Cole which I don't see yet.  

While I don't see it happening, Mia Yim probably should win tonight.  Most of the strongest challengers right now are women that Shayna has destroyed to the point that it makes no point to go back to them 

52 minutes ago, hammerva said:

While I don't see it happening, Mia Yim probably should win tonight.  Most of the strongest challengers right now are women that Shayna has destroyed to the point that it makes no point to go back to them

That's exactly why they should have Shayna drop the title and move her to the main roster. If need be, they can do it 70/80s WWF style and have her put over everyone she had beaten previously on the way out.

I don't have any inside SCOOPZ but I get the feeling they are waiting until Ronda tells them she's coming back to call up Shayna. Everyone wanted the Horsewomen feud to happen and you have to think WWE knows that was a missed opportunity.  Considering that Ronda keeps putting out videos on her YouTube indicating she's getting the itch to come back, it might be sooner than we think. 

12 minutes ago, Zoo Enthusiast said:

I haven’t watched any of the TV recently but Duke and Shafir where nowhere near ready for a huge main event program while Ronda was still around.  I don’t think it was a missed opportunity as much as it not being the right time for it.

The focus would have been on Ronda and Shayna, so having the other two as basically the Buddy Roberts of the team to take a beating and do a job would have been fine. In the long run it was better for their careers to stay in NXT and learn, but a Horsewomen program (IMO at least) would have been a bigger deal than the wet fart we ended up with at Mania last year. 

14 minutes ago, Boss Rock said:

I still think they screwed up by not having Bianca beat Shayna, especially with how their match went at Phoenix. Really seemed like they were building up to something there and the crowd was behind it.

Pretty much. The timing was perfect for a title change, and Bianca, while still legit great, lost a lot of momentum. She could've been a perfect ace champ, too.