Pro Wrestling Only

NXT Takeover: Toronto 2019

Ricky Jackson

5 hours ago, FMKK said:

So it looks like I'm not the only one with no enthusiasm for Takeover? I'm sure it'll deliver for the audience but I've never been hugely intonthe big Gargano matches and I really can't take Adam Cole and his shitty look and his stupid bunny hop finisher seriously at all. I'm also pretty sure he no sold a reverse rana in their last match.

I'm with you. the Gargano/Ciampa shit destroyed any interest I had in watching NXT anymore. I didn't mind Cole but he's been dragged down to hell with this feud going as long as that one. Only seeing gifs of their last match and the no selling was enough of that crap forever.

• Replies 260
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Worst part is that Cole is actually very good at portraying a shithead heel. Those vignettes where he went to Gargano's hometown and wrestling school were great, and he showed personality. 

What's bad is that everyone in NXT pretty much HAS to fit this mold we are complaining. It's all about no-selling shit, doing dangerous spots on the apron, and making goofy faces. I would argue we have more personality in the main roster, at least in the main event scene, than we do in NXT.

As someone who doesn't follow NXT at all pretty much (last show I watch was before Mania with Gargano/Cole and Walter/Dunn), when has the tide turned on Gargano ? I mean, last year (what it last year ?) when the first Gargano vs Ciampa match happened, the hype about this guy was crazy, he was the best worker in the world, the best babyface since Ricky Steamboat, his match with Ciampa was the best WWE match ever and whatnot. Now it seems his stuff (matches and angles) turn people (on this board I mean) away.

Last year, his feud with Ciampa was pretty divisive. The first match was great, universally praised, but it was kinda booked like the end of the feud, not the beginning. 

Then they had other matches, where Gargano was made to look like a total geek - the last man standing being the biggest example of that. Overwriting stuff like having them form a tag team for a while only for it to be a ruse, and then Ciampa getting injured, putting the feud to a complete halt, didn't help matters.

Gargano is still over, still is great, but they ran overdramatic moments to the ground, and it kind of became a chore.

Yeah, I don’t think Gargano has been “turned on” - but I think he’s had bad luck. Obviously the Ciampa injuries meant that, because he was tethered to the guy, his own arc was going to effected. Then he has a great match against Andrade but because they still need him to tread water and get to a predetermined “moment” (Ciampa vs. Gargano for the title), they were forced to do convoluted shit - like turning him heel.

Simultaneously, he got positioned to *always* put on 20+ minute matches on every Takeover, with his main event ones going even longer. Even for a guy as talented as him, that’s a recipe for overexposure. Diversity in match types would’ve went a long way in keeping him fresher.

At least for me, the 100% certainty that his match tonight goes an hour is not intriguing, it’s a challenge to the viewer. 

34 minutes ago, El-P said:

As someone who doesn't follow NXT at all pretty much (last show I watch was before Mania with Gargano/Cole and Walter/Dunn), when has the tide turned on Gargano ? I mean, last year (what it last year ?) when the first Gargano vs Ciampa match happened, the hype about this guy was crazy, he was the best worker in the world, the best babyface since Ricky Steamboat, his match with Ciampa was the best WWE match ever and whatnot. Now it seems his stuff (matches and angles) turn people (on this board I mean) away.

I hate all of that. the best babyface since Steamboat nonsense was also said all the time about Sami Zayn, who I also couldn't stand and think is 1000x better as a heel.

6 hours ago, goodhelmet said:

I am pretty sure they are just going to follow the formula from the Austin-HHH 3 Stages of Hell... Regular match, garbage match then a cage/Hell in a Cell match. 

I don't know about the cage being used as stipulation for the third fall. Regal's stipulation seems to be treated as a surprise, and you cannot really hide a cage during the show (at least not from the fans in the arena).

EDIT: And at the moment I am posting this, Regal is presenting the cage.

1 minute ago, hammerva said:

So the 3rd fall looks to be the cage that was used in the Jericho vs Ambrose gimmick match with tons of barbed wire on top and a scaffold and weapons on the side

I remember that match being a complete disaster, full of shitty, ridiculous gimmicks.

Well I don't remember that much barbed wire in that match.  What I remember is that the match was god awful slow and they finally picked up steam at the end.  The issue with this one is that we are going to do this after about 40 minutes of other action before it.

Not sure I have seen a live performance without actually seeing the performance.  But it was Slipknot so I wouldn't want to see that shit anyway

11 minutes ago, KawadaSmile said:

Montez does a Rock Bottom and Mauro calls it an Uranage. Fucking geek

Is there a story behind Ford going for the Rock's two signature moves?

The "new" network also is really unstable here. In the beginning, the video was glitching, and now I had about 6 bufferings withing a minute. I never had this with the "old" one.

By the way: I just don't like this formula they are using in the NXT tag team matches for the last two years or so. The matches have as much psychology as a 2003 ROH scramble match.