Pro Wrestling Only

AEW Dark Megathread

Stiva

Hosted by Tony Schiavone in front of some truly terrible green screen but, nevertheless, a really fun B show outing. Commentary from JR and Excalibur for the most part.

Darby Allin/CIMA was a good little TV sprint with CIMA meshing pretty fantastically to Allin and his ludicrous body control. The 8 man was a mess of spots, some fluid, most kind of awkward and the crowd was fairly dead throughout it. And to make matters worse, the cameras didn't catch Orange Cassidy interacting with the kid dressed as him in the front row. It really feels like The Lucha Bros have to win the tournament and then they need ROH to finally fold so we can get The Briscoes in the division. The women's tag had some decent moments but Ford seems really green and there was some bad miscommunication and timing with some of the spots. Though Allie feels like she should be someone that they can focus more going forward; she was a good FIP and hot tag. The 6 man was probably my favourite of the night; it was a condensed, TV match version of the PPV one and probably better for it with all the guys getting a shine, some fun comedy spots and more build for the tag tourney.

Even though I'm not high on all the teams they have, they've done a good job of casting enough doubt over each match in the tag tournament so far. Either way, this is a show that's certain to have some awesome little gems on it going forward.

• Replies 290
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Darby Allin is the best possible modern small flippy guy. He comes across as a lunatic who uses his body as a weapon to overcome his size disadvantage rather than someone trying to show off his acrobatic ability. Plus, he does a good job of setting up his topes so that his opponent has little or no time to react. Wrestlers diving at opponents who see them coming from a mile away is one of the most inexcusable aspects of modern wrestling.

I enjoyed it tremendously. Exactly why a B show should be, a bunch of good and dynamic TV matches thrown together. Loved the six-men, SCU are a great base for everyone in this company to have a very good match; CIMA vs Allin was quite the solid affair and Allin definitely looks like someone with tons of star potential; I also thought Allie finally showed a bit of what she could do in that match and kinda stole the show. Ford is green, but she can do those cool spots which is what is gonna get her over since they won't do crazy intergender stuff she was so good at on the indies. This is so cool to have that stuff simply on Youtube every week.

Haven't watched this yet...

Is it just a bunch of rasslin' without any storylines or angles? Honest question. If that's the case, it seems fairly pointless and throwaway to me - and probably not the show for me. I have to think anything important would be saved for TNT, right?

I'm assuming the real idea behind this is to use it a trojan horse to advertise AEW's main outing on TNT, which is honestly not the worst plan in the world.

Ironically, I read that 22% of NWA Powerrr's audience came from this show. 

Then again, I wasn't expecting anything this high-profile...

On 10/10/2019 at 2:03 AM, SmartMark15 said:

Janela-Omega in a Lights Out match is on tap for next week. Holy shit.

Even though I hate garbage wrestling and didn't love their last match, this makes me curious enough to tune in next week.

Only watched week 1 at this point, but enjoyed this as a show, especially the Darby Allin/CIMA match which had a great intensity to it, which made it feel more meaningful than just a spotfest. As I said, it was only the first week, but the presentation of the matches made it seem more important than something like a Main Event, or Velocity/Jakked back in the day, where it feels like the people that appear on those shows are very much 'C Level' talent that will never appear on the main show.

On 10/12/2019 at 9:27 PM, C.S. said:

Haven't watched this yet...

Is it just a bunch of rasslin' without any storylines or angles? Honest question. If that's the case, it seems fairly pointless and throwaway to me - and probably not the show for me. I have to think anything important would be saved for TNT, right?

I'm assuming the real idea behind this is to use it a trojan horse to advertise AEW's main outing on TNT, which is honestly not the worst plan in the world.

It seems like they used it to build up to the main show in small ways. They wanted to get Allin into the title picture = win over CIMA (that also did a nice job of getting Allin's character across), justification for the number one contenders match. They have all these tag teams that are about to be in the tournament = here's a match to show off their stuff if you haven't seen them before. So it seems like it'll be stuff that's not totally essential to the major stories, but will help tell it. 

Yeah, he's a great high-concept thinker and creative dude but I really don't want to watch him wrestle. Having said that, the 8-man tag was a good TV match but the Aubrey Edwards interview was great. Another excellent piece of low-key, serious presentation that speaks to how they're adding genuine depth to their roster, right down to the refs.

15 hours ago, PeteF3 said:

Boy did that Omega-Janela match not live up to the hype. Janela just isn't good, period.

Well that crosses it off of my watch list.  I'm still waiting to understand the Joey Janela phenomenon.  Apparently he was very successful promoting shows on Mania weekend (and on other occasions?), but I've yet to see him in a match that didn't make me regret watching it.

12 minutes ago, WingedEagle said:

Well that crosses it off of my watch list.  I'm still waiting to understand the Joey Janela phenomenon.  Apparently he was very successful promoting shows on Mania weekend (and on other occasions?), but I've yet to see him in a match that didn't make me regret watching it.

I love the Janela character.  I just don't feel like his matches play into that character.  Too many "strong style" moments.  He shouldn't be throwing German suplexes or brainbusters or having forearm exchanges.  He needs to wrestle as the nutjob dirtbag he is.  He should cheat and brawl and jump/fall off of shit.  More Necro Butcher, less New Japan.

Omega vs Janela was insane. Just insane. I cringed a bunch of times, which is a sign of a good Janela match. Omega reminds me of Benoit circa 96-98 in that he looks like the crispest, best performer in the world. Tons of batshit insane spots. Cool details like Janela paying hommage to Eddie Guerrero on the anniversary day and Omega actually using the rebound clothesline to make fun of Mox (he also used his finisher). Just a brutal match that did not under-delivered nor went a minute too long (especially compared to the NJPW main events of last week-end). If there's two criticisms to be made, is that next to Omega, Janela's selling really appears as lacking (but of course that's not what you ask from him anyway, you want him to kill himself again and again, not do long term selling drama); and really that this match on Dark was a waste as it was the best match on any AEW TV tapings thus far and could very well have been booked for a PPV with an actual storyline. Great match.

The other two matches were pretty fine, although the Dark Order is painfully not over. Peter Avalon actually is a really solid in-ring worker. Sonny Kiss stuff is cool but again, it came off a bit too gimmicky, I have no faith in him looking good in a meaningful singles match yet (he was really helped by LU production). Leva Bates is adorable, but... dunno what she is really good at... give her some funny promos or something...

I wonder if this is a casting issue and Janela would be better off as a wrestling/manager. That way his bumps are the payoff to angles.  Now he's being thrown out there to do long losses to Moxley and Omega. I don't know that its really helping any of them to go this route.