Pro Wrestling Only

AEW Dark Megathread

Stiva

• Replies 290
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

On 1/7/2021 at 8:03 AM, Alucard said:

Tony Khan bought the rights to Baltimora's "Tarzan Boy" for Jungle Boy's entrance. Amazing. 

Indeed it's awesome. Pro-wrestling needs more of this. One thing that was so cool about ECW was the fact it was true songs (I have no idea how can anyone enjoy the butchered versions on the WWE Network, you can find the original broadcasts...). Great original theme of course works wonder, but it's nice to have a few legit pop-culture standards as pro-wrestling themes. 

31 minutes ago, El-P said:

Indeed it's awesome. Pro-wrestling needs more of this. One thing that was so cool about ECW was the fact it was true songs (I have no idea how can anyone enjoy the butchered versions on the WWE Network, you can find the original broadcasts...). Great original theme of course works wonder, but it's nice to have a few legit pop-culture standards as pro-wrestling themes. 

Agreed.

Do you remember when The Sandman went to WCW in 1999?  After he left WCW in October 99, he made a surprise return to ECW to save Tommy Dreamer from a beating from the Impact Players, in ECW arena.  The crowd reaction was absolutely insane.  I've heard Lance Storm say that was hands down the loudest crowd reaction he's ever heard or witnessed.  The whole reason the crowd went so nuts is because the arena light went out, and Enter Sandman started playing.

When they show that clip on the WWE Network, they have edited out the music, which totally kills the whole thing.  Sometimes, the music is almost a big a part of the moment as the action.

I still have chills every time I see The Sandman's entrance from ECW One Night Stand 2005 and I hear the crowd singing the entire Enter Sandman song. This is the kind of vibe and atmosphere that I live for as a wrestling fan and I agree that music is such a big part of a wrestler's personnality a lot of times. Those Network edits do not do justice to those specific moments in time.

1 hour ago, SirEdger said:

I still have chills every time I see The Sandman's entrance from ECW One Night Stand 2005 and I hear the crowd singing the entire Enter Sandman song. This is the kind of vibe and atmosphere that I live for as a wrestling fan and I agree that music is such a big part of a wrestler's personnality a lot of times. Those Network edits do not do justice to those specific moments in time.

That was exactly what I was going to reference. Such a true statement.

I actually don't mind some of the WWE Themes. I think some are pretty good. I hate most AEW Themes. Not every theme needs to be metal. Like switch it up. It's why The Golden Era and even Attitude era was perfect for themes because Jim Johnson would write the theme for the guy like Vader, Vince McMahon, Taker and all them. Dude needs to need to be in Hall of Fame for sure.

Speaking of The Jungle Boy theme. It just works perfect and Taz (Least I think it was Taz) made a great point in that once they get fans in the stands and everything it will be awesome to hear live.

9 hours ago, SirEdger said:

I think one of the reasons I love Jericho's entrance is that the crowd singing Judas reminds me of the Ballroom fans singing Enter Sandman

I agree that a lot, if not most of AEW themes aren't very interesting. The non-metal ones are clearly the best, like Jurrassik Express, Nyla Rose, Shida, MJF (it was his theme from MLW, so I guess the indies). Darby's is excellent, so is Omega's, I really like Dark Order's and Team Taz's too. But overall, too many generic stuff. The Lucha Bros theme always struck me as kinda lame actually for such big time characters. I mean, "Lucha Bros, Mexicans !" Fuck, really ?

The music director of the company was on BTE last week presenting a video clip stared by Matt Hardy, and it was really some run of the mill, dated mid 90's metal stuff, so I guess it's not surprising. Also, the live band doing Cody's theme on that PPV was god awful. Really terrible to the point it made you long for this goofy RATM-copycat WWF used in the Attitude era...

Actually, it's another instance of IMPACT doing better with less. Some of the themes I really don't care for like Eddie Edwards (totally sounds like 00's WWE) but they have plenty of good little themes (the North's dubspetish one is excellent, I love Rosemary's, Su Yung's is obviously awesome and the creepy one they did for Susie was terrific too).

The theme song of Dynamite sucks, I've gotta say that. It reeks of the late 90's too. Fuck, we're in 2020 (well, that was a typo but I still feel like we're stuck in 2020 forever). And I mean, ACDC, that stuff is old, people. The mainstream pop today is hip-hop. And I'm not talking about Snoop Dog, him wearing that shirt was a great reminder that this guy has basically been a one-hit-wonder, honestly, and Doggystyle is from 1993 ! The year RAW debuted. I don't really follow the mainstream music scene because it's not my taste, but fuck, get Charli XCX on that show or something. Or Dua Lipa. Or Doja Cat. Get some hot female pop star of *today* on the stage for a big show. 

4 hours ago, MoS said:

On that note, while I know hard rock and metal can be cliche, I have always wondered why AEW did not purchase the rights to AC/DC's "I'm TNT, I'm Dynamite." The show is called Dynamite and it airs on TNT - it writes itself

I think that is probably because Ac/Dc would charge an arm and a leg for that song. Especially since TNT is one of their bigger hits. I mean The Khan's have the means but I don't think he would want to shell out money for a song that he could sign guys to contracts with.

4 hours ago, El-P said:

The theme song of Dynamite sucks, I've gotta say that. It reeks of the late 90's too. Fuck, we're in 2020 (well, that was a typo but I still feel like we're stuck in 2020 forever). And I mean, ACDC, that stuff is old, people. The mainstream pop today is hip-hop. And I'm not talking about Snoop Dog, him wearing that shirt was a great reminder that this guy has basically been a one-hit-wonder, honestly, and Doggystyle is from 1993 ! The year RAW debuted. I don't really follow the mainstream music scene because it's not my taste, but fuck, get Charli XCX on that show or something. Or Dua Lipa. Or Doja Cat. Get some hot female pop star of *today* on the stage for a big show. 

Oh I agree with that as well. I know their music guy posted all the songs he did on twitter and I didn't see any and went man that's an awesome theme. I was VERY disappointed with Miro's theme. I expected something that would make him feel special or at least stand out but alas just heavy riffs which I don't think fits him very well.

I agree with what you said earlier not all AEW themes are bad. I like Sting's new theme, Darby, Mox, MJF, Jungle Boy's new theme, Jericho, Young Bucks, Omega, Page, and SCU are some of their top tier themes but the rest are just all the same in the way.

If I had the means like Tony Khan does. I would just hire Jim Johnson. His theme he made for PCO was good. So I mean he obviously still has the talent.

18 minutes ago, Perfectly Straightedge said:

I was VERY disappointed with Miro's theme.

You know what. I'm absolutely unable to think about what it actually is. That's telling, because I'm not that hardly hooked by pro-wrestling themes. Fuck, with his gimmick, he should have gotten some epic video game style music.

18 minutes ago, Perfectly Straightedge said:

I like Sting's new theme, Darby, Mox, MJF, Jungle Boy's new theme, Jericho, Young Bucks, Omega, Page, and SCU are some of their top tier themes but the rest are just all the same in the way.

Mox is ok and fitting, but not very memorable to me. I love Hangman's theme, but I believe like MJF he was already using it on the indies, I do think I remember hearing it when he was in NJPW, but maybe I'm mistaken. Ditto the Young Bucks.

10 minutes ago, MoS said:

I think Darby has the best theme in AEW rn. The opening riff is perfect for pro wrestling

Agree, this one is a great theme, totally fits the character, super easily recognizable, has a great feel to it. And I like how after he wins a match it starts straight with the chorus. 

14 hours ago, El-P said:

I agree that a lot, if not most of AEW themes aren't very interesting. The non-metal ones are clearly the best, like Jurrassik Express, Nyla Rose, Shida, MJF (it was his theme from MLW, so I guess the indies). Darby's is excellent, so is Omega's, I really like Dark Order's and Team Taz's too. But overall, too many generic stuff. The Lucha Bros theme always struck me as kinda lame actually for such big time characters. I mean, "Lucha Bros, Mexicans !" Fuck, really ?

Isn't it "MexiKings"? I feel like Fenix has referred to himself as that.

2 minutes ago, Migs said:

Isn't it "MexiKings"? I feel like Fenix has referred to himself as that.

Well, he is King Fenix after all. Might be, it's always tricky with songs and you can hear false lyrics for years before you realize you were wrong. Still, I don't care at all for the music anyway.

On 1/8/2021 at 11:30 AM, The Thread Killer said:

Agreed.

Do you remember when The Sandman went to WCW in 1999?  After he left WCW in October 99, he made a surprise return to ECW to save Tommy Dreamer from a beating from the Impact Players, in ECW arena.  The crowd reaction was absolutely insane.  I've heard Lance Storm say that was hands down the loudest crowd reaction he's ever heard or witnessed.  The whole reason the crowd went so nuts is because the arena light went out, and Enter Sandman started playing.

When they show that clip on the WWE Network, they have edited out the music, which totally kills the whole thing.  Sometimes, the music is almost a big a part of the moment as the action.

Co-signed. The greatest pop of all time IMO. Insanely loud and sustained for the rest of the segment.

On 1/8/2021 at 11:56 AM, El-P said:

I can't. I can't even watch it. It completely kills the shows & the nostalgia for me. It's not as bad, but watching old WCW shows & seeing them dub over the WCW themes with the WWE versions is also a shit sandwich. 

I hated that Taz talked all over it but it did show how much of a difference a real song makes. Jungle Boy seems like a genuine, cool dude, so I'm happy for him. I hope more is to follow for other stars. It's another way AEW could differentiate themselves from WWE, too. Don't give every single person a generic rock song. Part of what made buying into Mark Henry more believable to me, after all the Mae Young shit & what not, was him coming out to Three Six Mafia. I felt like it gave him credibility. Look how much of a difference it made for C.M. Punk when he switched from that shit scream rock song to Living Color. NWA Power using Dokken initially was cash too for the vibe they were going for. Completely changed when they switched to Pantera imo.

Man. I'm really fucking bad about seeing a reply & then responding to the thread before reading the rest of the replies first. Most of these points are already made but still. 

• 3 weeks later...

I thought the first three matches made for the best start to a Dark episode since the show began.  AEW needs to hurry up and sign Nick Comoroto before WWE remembers that the guy is over 175 lb.  According to wrestlingdata The FreakBeast worked a bunch for NXT in the not too distant past.  

Hopefully Danny Limelight, TNT (the junior Dudleys - not o.g. Savio), Bear Country, Shawn Dean and maybe Fuego del Sol, Aaron Solow and Mike Verna are next to get contracts before WWE just signs everyone and stashes them in India or some other prospective territory that they are considering.

For the women I think KiLynn King, Heather Monroe, Alex Gracia, Lady Frost, Dreamgirl Ellie, Skyler Moore, Lindsay Snow, Dani Jordyn, Vipress and Tesha Price should be signed.  It would be worth it just to developer them in a different environment than NXT/PC for a change.  They already missed the boat on Elayna Black when WWE gobbled her up last week.  

I might even roll the dice ( RENO~!) on projects like Megabyte Ronnie and Jennacide.  Ronnie was awkward and clumsy but he could be a foil for lower card heels.

I just see dudes like Ryzin, Louie Vaille, D3, M’Badu and Faboo Andre as too goofy or even geeky - as in uncool not a slight against eccentric wrestlers.  Vaille looked much more impressive in Chikara all gimmicky with face paint and a characterf...of sorts.

Edited by Ryan Faulconer
Added names I couldn’t remember