Pro Wrestling Only

AEW Dynamite Week 2 - 9th October 2019

FMKK

• Replies 143
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's worth noting that Kenny Omega was mostly a non-factor the first two weeks. In the first episode, he ran in for the save after the women's title match and got taken out almost immediately in the main event. In the second, he was part of a post-match angle in the middle of the show. It's kind of striking how there's an inverse relationship between Omega's involvement and the quality of the show.

47 minutes ago, NintendoLogic said:

It's kind of striking how there's an inverse relationship between Omega's involvement and the quality of the show.

Except there isn't.

SCU were barely involved this week and the show was better. So, "there's an inverse relationship between SCU's involvement and the quality of the show."

See. Works too.

Hell, Allie hasn't been on Dynamite yet. "There's an inverse relationship between Allie's involvement and the quality of the show."

Confirmation bias at work.

1 hour ago, Mrzfn said:

Really enjoyed both episodes of Dynamite so far. My only real complaint is that I don't really get the push of Britt Baker and Bea Priestley... feels like they have several non-joshi women with a lot more potential. Maybe it's just me but I feel like the crowd is particularly meh towards Baker. A dentist with a tooth based submission feels pretty cheesy as well.

I don't think AEW has the roster right now to have a women's division at all. I think having the first title match be Riho Vs. Nyla was also a misstep. They need more women, for sure. They need to fill out the women's division more. I'm not impressed by Riho & like you said, Britt Baker & Bea Priestley have underwhelmed, with Bea so far also being downright dangerous. Has she had a single match in AEW so far where someone didn't get hurt? Also obviously AEW didn't foresee Kylie Rae leaving. 

They just don't have the female star power. 

The issue with women is that so many of the best, including from Japan, are signed with WWE already (we need more of that girl who looked awesome at the last PPV and whose name I don't remember… That Cool Japanese Girl…). Riho is an experiment, maybe she can draw teenage girls. I see potential in Baker, but she's still a work in progress too, like Rose (who impressed me quite a bit last week). In term of being a strong character, Allie should be the centerfold of the division right now. She can be a lovable, kinda loony babyface, and she can turn the switch and go batshit insane, so both ways work. Brandi is a great promo and a great manager… Of course, Awesome Kong should do cameos and kill someone from time to time. Are we gonna get a match with Aja ?

Since they are working with AAA, they should try to get Ayako Hamada or Fabi Apache, who are terrific veterans. No idea how cool ruda like La Hiedra or Lady Maravilla could get over, but it would be interesting to see them here. IMPACT has THE two girls AEW would want in term of star power, character and work : Taya Walkyrie and of course Tessa Blanchard. And there's Scarlett Bordeaux who's a free agent and who hopefully will show up one day with her boyfriend, now that would be an awesome surprise on TV. 

16 minutes ago, Coffey said:

I don't think AEW has the roster right now to have a women's division at all. I think having the first title match be Riho Vs. Nyla was also a misstep. 

I wonder if the original plan was The Dentist vs. Smiley Kylie.

33 minutes ago, El-P said:

The issue with women is that so many of the best, including from Japan, are signed with WWE already (we need more of that girl who looked awesome at the last PPV and whose name I don't remember… That Cool Japanese Girl…). Riho is an experiment, maybe she can draw teenage girls. I see potential in Baker, but she's still a work in progress too, like Rose (who impressed me quite a bit last week). In term of being a strong character, Allie should be the centerfold of the division right now. She can be a lovable, kinda loony babyface, and she can turn the switch and go batshit insane, so both ways work. Brandi is a great promo and a great manager… Of course, Awesome Kong should do cameos and kill someone from time to time. Are we gonna get a match with Aja ?

Since they are working with AAA, they should try to get Ayako Hamada or Fabi Apache, who are terrific veterans. No idea how cool ruda like La Hiedra or Lady Maravilla could get over, but it would be interesting to see them here. IMPACT has THE two girls AEW would want in term of star power, character and work : Taya Walkyrie and of course Tessa Blanchard. And there's Scarlett Bordeaux who's a free agent and who hopefully will show up one day with her boyfriend, now that would be an awesome surprise on TV. 

Scarlett's all but announced that she signed with WWE at this point though.  Like it's a done deal but they're in that "WWE doesn't want anyone to know yet" period. 

I would love to see some luchadoras from AAA show up and make AEW's women division the female version of the first hour of Nitro.

18 minutes ago, sek69 said:

Scarlett's all but announced that she signed with WWE at this point though.  Like it's a done deal but they're in that "WWE doesn't want anyone to know yet" period. 

Because they need yet another hot looking blonde in their roster… Hope for her she gets a good deal and doesn't get too wasted. I have no faith that they will get her character though, none at all. IMPACT fucked up so bad with her and Kross.

20 hours ago, Blehschmidt said:

I can only assume the Baker push is a favor to their buddy Adam Cole.

Allie really seems to be the smart push when it comes to a non-Joshi babyface.

Britt really is a black hole of charisma.  It's wild.  Her "commentary" on the first ep is probably the worst thing thus far on Dynamite.

Britt is this weird combination where she looks the part of what you want in a wrestler. She's good looking, has the body you want in a wrestler and is athletic enough to make you think she should be good. She even kind of looks like she should have some sort of charisma to her as well. But then you get her in there and she can't talk, if she has charisma she can't project it and her execution of moves is terrible despite having what appears to be athletic ability. She's like Seth Rollins if his inring execution of moves sucked.

9 minutes ago, Mad Dog said:

It's tough for me. It's really easy to pick apart Nyla Rose and see what she needs to work on. I have a harder time putting my finger on what Baker needs to work on.

Honestly she really hasn't been featured that much. Once she gets to do a bunch of single matches, it'll be easier to see where she really stands for now.  Nyla Rose is easier to pick apart because of her shape and the role she's supposed to play. Both are green.

My problem with Nyla is that while I recognize her as a woman and respect her decision, to me I can't shake the feeling that I am watching a "man" beat up women. Before people mention Chyna or Nicole Bass or whoever else, in my opinion Nyla looks more like a man than they did. I wish I could be more progressive than that, but nope.

Well, they could have a heel working a TERF gimmick opposing Nyla. I don't think pro-wrestling is quite ready for that kind of angle though…

The question of the body in transgender issues is quite interesting as far as pro-wrestling goes though (well, sports in general), especially in a context where some promotions do man vs woman matches without blinking (AAA, IMPACT, tons of indies).

2 hours ago, NintendoLogic said:

I'm probably opening up a can of worms, but I think Nyla looks more feminine than Chyna did pre-plastic surgery. And she's really not that big. She only seems monstrously huge because she's been working mainly with tiny joshi wrestlers. She's actually quite a bit smaller than Nia Jax. Much better in the ring, too.

Fair enough. I guess the size of the other gals makes her look the way she does to me. And I agree she is better looking than pre surgery Chyna and heck even Nicole Bass.