Pro Wrestling Only

NWA Powerrr

Coffey

NWA Power is tonight. I'm excited for it & will be watching it when it premiers but I don't think it's worthy of its own thread. Just don't think there would be enough replies/interest. But I wanted to post here to remind people in case they forgot or didn't know about it.

• Replies 900
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

11 minutes ago, sek69 said:

Watching the NWA show, so far they've done a really excellent job recreating the 70s/80s studio wrestling vibe.

Yep. Total cosplay show. Which makes Cornette talking about "a bunch of kids, a bunch of cosplayers" the stupidest thing ever. This entire show is a cosplay convention. And it's irrelevant too. It's 2019. I want to see pro-wrestling from the 2020's, not a bunch of guys pretending it's 1985. What brought me back to watch current pro-wrestling was Lucha Underground, because it was looking forward. This is perfect cosplay indeed, but it is people cosplaying as NWA. It is both kinda cool and kinda sad, actually.

I kinda dig it, but I grew up on this kind of wrestling so it hits me pretty hard in the nostalgia feels.  

Besides, I don't know if it's fair to bash them for pretending it's 1985  when other sports are always harkening back to the good old days. I don't think it's the worst thing in the world to go back to your roots. The show *is* the NWA, for whatever that means these days. Hell, I kind of wish they went all out and had  skinny fat jobbers and masked guys in enhancment roles. 

9 minutes ago, sek69 said:

The show *is* the NWA, for whatever that means these days.

Well, that's the issue. It's nothing more than a vanity project by a former pop-star who was last relevant 20 years ago (so I guess there's a link there). I more or less have no interest in retromania in any field (unless it's done either tongue in cheek or actually brings a contemporary twist to it). I want something from the future. This is a cosplay show. It's super well done for what it is. But to call the people who actually are the zeitgeist (hey, see what I did here ?) "cosplayers" when you are doing the most cosplay of all cosplay show ever sounds at best comical, at worst dumb as fuck.

So I'm guessing people's opinion on this show will hinge greatly on their opinions of Jim Cornette. He's definately in his element here, it's unfortunate if people let his views on modern wrestling color how they look at this show. I felt it was a fine little wrestling show, they did a good job introducing characters and setting up angles. 

25 minutes ago, sek69 said:

I kinda dig it, but I grew up on this kind of wrestling so it hits me pretty hard in the nostalgia feels.  

I loved it. I'll be watching it every week. This show was exactly what I'm looking for. As for discussion of the show, this is obviously not going to be my medium... otherwise I'll just fill up my Ignore List. 

8 minutes ago, sek69 said:

So I'm guessing people's opinion on this show will hinge greatly on their opinions of Jim Cornette. 

Less my opinion of Jim Cornette (I still thinks he's better than 90% at announcing today) than the fact he can't shut the fuck up about his views on modern wrestling which is kinda ridiculous when he's working in this setting while the "kids and cosplayers" are selling out arenas and are live on TNT with Tony Schiavone & JR of all people calling their matches. I get why some people would enjoy it (again, super well done from a cosplay point of view and the ways the promos and angles are set up comes off as refreshing despite/because of the total retro approach). But unless there's really a name I'm interested in popping up there, I don't think this stuff is for me. I called MLW the SMW of the days, but I was wrong, this is it people. It is cool that it exists though (especially on Youtube). The more variety the better.

About 10 minutes in on the show. Definitely looks nice, like the pacing. I like Cornette, but talking about cosplayers as they are literally just doing World Championship Wrestling is a little silly. I might stick with it, but other than Colt Cabana and sometimes Aldis, there's just not a lot of guys that here that are really compelling to me (same problem as MLW and Impact right now - they're doing a nice job but the depth isn't great).

2 hours ago, sek69 said:

So I'm guessing people's opinion on this show will hinge greatly on their opinions of Jim Cornette.

Hoping to watch the show tonight...

I personally think Jim Cornette is a man-child and embarrassment to wrestling, but I've always enjoyed the hell out of his character - and his commentary is an extension of that, so I don't anticipate myself having any problems with his presence. He is knowledgeable about wrestling, and his outdated retro leanings actually sound like a perfect fit for what it seems this show is trying to do and be.

I'm really looking forward to watching it.

Is this show supposed to be ironic? I am having a hard time taking this show seriously. It looks like it's 40 years old. I think Lucha Underground is a better modern interpretation of studio wrestling, at least the in ring segments (if you were to eliminate the backstage segments.) I can't see too many new fans being excited for this NWA show.  I think they could take the best parts of studio wrestling (not having long entrances, having more numerous and shorter promos from wrestlers going to and coming back from the ring, not having backstage skits) and just put that in a smaller venue but looking like a modern show otherwise.

The idea was to bring back 70s/80s studio wrestling. I think it's a case of if you didn't grow up watching it, you don't get what the deal is. If you did grow up with studio wrestling, the show was awesome to watch, and nailed the asthetic they were going for.

I do think there's an audience for it, since a lot of people are able to be exposed to studio wrestling due to YouTube these days. Will it beat out WWE, AEW, or even ROH? Probably not, but I think there's enough people out there for them to have a niche market.  I've seen a ton of rave reviews on Twitter, of course that goes along with the whole echo chamber/bubble argument, but it seems like folks who gave it a chance generally liked what they saw. 

This show was like Johnny Swinger's gimmick in IMPACT, only taking itself seriously while having Corny taking about "childs & cosplayers" in reference to you-know-who. They are a re-enactment show. 

Hey, look, that's Eli Drake, the guy who left IMPACT because he wouldn't work with Tessa Blanchard. Can't wait until she signs with either WWE or AEW and becomes a major star while this guy is cosplaying Rock/Austin in front of 100 people in a theme park attraction of a promotion.

I loved the show, it was unabashedly old school.  I haven't had that much fun watching Pro Wrestling in a long time, it was such a throwback and an enjoyable experience.  I'll definitely be watching for a few weeks to see how the show progresses. I hope this episode was a sign of things to come. As far as the negative reaction to the show...who really cares?  This show clearly wasn't produced to appeal to fans of so-called "modern wrestling" any more than AEW is produced to appeal to fans like me. It's a niche product.

48 minutes ago, Stiva said:

Eddie Kingston in a studio wrestling setting sounds pretty great to me.

He was really good! He and Homicide definitely brought a different energy to the show.

Weirdly, I think in all this debate we can basically agree - they succeeded really well at what they were going for. Where that will rank for any person in the seemingly endless list of weekly wrestling shows available is a question of taste, but it's cool that someone's doing a good job of appealing to another niche.

4 hours ago, Migs said:

Weirdly, I think in all this debate we can basically agree - they succeeded really well at what they were going for. Where that will rank for any person in the seemingly endless list of weekly wrestling shows available is a question of taste, but it's cool that someone's doing a good job of appealing to another niche.

Pretty much where I stand. For what they are trying to achieve, it's an A+ for sure.

Now, the whole "Safe Space for Corny" aspect of it is kinda funny to me, considering the current landscape of pro-wrestling.

People are throwing around "cosplay" here in regards to the NWA show to the point I wonder if people know what that even means. Was anyone pretending to be anyone else other than maybe Nick Aldis (his opening promo was pretty on the nose aping Ric Flair)? 

4 minutes ago, sek69 said:

People are throwing around "cosplay" here in regards to the NWA show to the point I wonder if people know what that even means. Was anyone pretending to be anyone else other than maybe Nick Aldis (his opening promo was pretty on the nose aping Ric Flair)? 

I enjoyed the show but the entire setting is dressed up like its 1986. That's what people mean by cosplaying. And I have nothing against that at all, but it's a bit silly for them to by burying cosplay wrestlers (aka people who Jim hates) when they're doing 1980s dress-up.

Cosplay would mean the wrestlers are dressing up, not the set. Is AEW cosplaying WWE because they have a ramp and a Titan Tron? None of the wrestlers were any different than they would be on any other show they'd appear on. No one was dressed up as the Road Warriors or the Midnight Express, there weren't masked jobbers, no managers with tennis rackets.  Being all "lol cosplay" because a studio wrestling show has a set like a studio wrestling show seems like people reaching for criticism because they want to dunk on Cornette for saying stupid things. 

6 minutes ago, sek69 said:

Cosplay would mean the wrestlers are dressing up, not the set. Is AEW cosplaying WWE because they have a ramp and a Titan Tron? None of the wrestlers were any different than they would be on any other show they'd appear on. No one was dressed up as the Road Warriors or the Midnight Express, there weren't masked jobbers, no managers with tennis rackets.  Being all "lol cosplay" because a studio wrestling show has a set like a studio wrestling show seems like people reaching for criticism because they want to dunk on Cornette for saying stupid things. 

This is obtuse. They've deliberately tried to make the studio and graphics look as much like 30 years ago as possible. 

And people all liked the show. It's not like everyone is on here burying it.