Pro Wrestling Only

NWA Powerrr

Coffey

1 hour ago, C.S. said:

I wonder if part of that is because the episode was pulled a little over an hour later...

...nah, it's because Corny is a fuckhead, and people now have a sour taste in their mouth.

I'd say it's probably a little from column A and a little from column B.  I know a fair number of people watch the show when it debuts live at 6:05 pm Eastern (like me for example, which is why I heard Cornette's joke before the episode was pulled down) so none of the numbers of the people who watched it in the first couple of hours will be reflected.  However...the bad word of mouth about this episode spread so quickly that I have no doubt that a lot of fans decided not to watch the episode after they heard about it.

• Replies 900
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

On 11/21/2019 at 5:34 AM, El-P said:

Corny can't do better than a 35 years old joke (I mean, even without the racist tone, it kinda exposes Cornette as someone who recycles stuff that has been irrelevant since the mid 80's

It's always sad when guys who were popular years ago get stuck in a rut and refuse to modify or update their act.  There was nothing at all racial about it, but in a somewhat similar vein I remember when Roddy Piper made his comeback to WCW in 1996.  He was cutting one of his nonsensical, rambling promos and he insulted somebody (I forget who...Hogan probably) by comparing them to Punky Brewster.  Naturally, the crowd didn't react since they most likely had no idea who or what Punky Brewster was. I remember thinking "Punky Brewster? WTF, that show got cancelled 10 years ago!  Get some new jokes, Roddy!" But nope, there he was recycling the same lines he used in 1986 to great success but now...not so much.  As much as I loved him, close to the end of his time in WCW Bobby Heenan could be guilty of the same thing, using the same old jokes we'd all heard a million times.  Jerry Lawler too, come to think of it.

You know what, I did ask myself if that parody add was actually referencing date rape… But I did not pay that much attention to it, as I was doing something else while watching Powerr (as I usually do these last few weeks). And yeah, there sure is some creepiness to the whole thing, especially considering the way some old-school wrestlers acted back then. I still remember Marty Jannetty in shoot interviews laughing while talking about how they would use drugs in girl's drinks and shit… Those were the days… (which is one reason I'm way more comfortable watching current pro-wrestling, honestly, I think we've come a long way).

On 11/20/2019 at 4:55 PM, The Thread Killer said:

I only found out about it by accident, when one of my friends made some comment about not liking The Young Bucks and it wasn't directed at them, it was part of some discussion about New Japan or something, and one of them posted some snarky response and blocked him.  My friend was all "WTF, I didn't even tag them in that tweet!"  I know Kevin Nash and The Honky Tonk Man have been known to do the same thing.  I was just flummoxed that these guys have the time to do that, never mind the inclination.  Twitter is hardly the place for the sensitive or easily offended.

At least the guys vanity searching just block you and move on with their day. I tagged the HeymanHustle account in a posting of an old wrestling magazine pic of Paul E. and I ended up with a couple hundred likes and retweets and notifications were still going off 12 hours later. 

At first I was like, huh, this is really popular for some reason, but then I started poking into the individual accounts and almost all of them were bot/ghost accounts with a couple hundred followers/following each, with 90 percent of the page content being the same Heyman-related retweets as the others.

And of course it stopped the minute I posted about how you should never tag Heyman in any posts because, BOTS.

1 hour ago, clintthecrippler said:

FWIW, Lagana should probably tell Dave Marquez to lay low and stop commenting on this also.

Is there a gif of CM Punk on WWE Backstage saying "Stop Tweeting!" because someone really needs to send that to Marquez right about now. 

Late to the party…

The racist Ethiopia joke was cut but a gas chamber reference and the Austin Idol date rape Kayfabe Cocktail commercial remained. Clearly there’s still serious work to be done.

i knew Aldis-Murdoch was going to be disappointingly short so I was prepared for that. Still, I thought it was a good showcase of Murdoch and a fun match for what it was. The finish did seem odd though.

Thunder Rosa, Marti Belle, and Melina are stars. The Women’s Champion Allysin Kay and the Tag Team Champions The Wild Cards are not.

Anyone else getting Stone Cold cosplay vibes from Eli Drake? Seriously, he speaks and sounds exactly like Austin.

WTF was with that main event? Bullshit comedy wrestling is the last thing the NWA should be doing. 

BTW, Colt “Boom Boom” Cabana sounds like he’s announcing that he has to take a giant shit when he uses that absurd-as-fuck nickname. 

That idiot James Storm burying Murdoch at the end of the show by calling him someone that doesn’t matter was so fucking stupid and counterproductive. Guess what, James: You’ve never been a star anywhere that matters or drawn any money in your life. Even as a lower midcarder in the WWE, Murdoch has been seen by more, done more, and meant more. James Storm is insufferable. I can see why Al Snow buried the fuck out of him in his book.

So apparently on tonight's episode of Power they are announcing who Aldis will be defending the NWA World Heavyweight Championship against at the PPV.  My money would have been on Eli Drake, but after his attack on Ken Anderson, I assume that feud is the direction they're going?  The other possibility is James Storm although as I said previously, in kayfabe terms I don't understand how losing the secondary championship makes you the #1 contender for the World Championship...but we'll see.  I can't really see anybody else in the picture who they would grant a World Title shot to, especially in a spot as important as the Main Event of their first major PPV. 

Maybe the Question Mark?

1 hour ago, The Thread Killer said:

So apparently on tonight's episode of Power they are announcing who Aldis will be defending the NWA World Heavyweight Championship against at the PPV.  My money would have been on Eli Drake, but after his attack on Ken Anderson, I assume that feud is the direction they're going?  The other possibility is James Storm although as I said previously, in kayfabe terms I don't understand how losing the secondary championship makes you the #1 contender for the World Championship...but we'll see.  I can't really see anybody else in the picture who they would grant a World Title shot to, especially in a spot as important as the Main Event of their first major PPV. 

Maybe the Question Mark?

I'd honestly prefer the Question Mark to James Storm, and I'm not entirely joking.

But it will probably be James Storm. Meh.

Even worse is if James Storm wins the title because he's one of the few "top stars" they have.

Kinda wish Aaron Stevens and/or Trevor Murdoch had gotten this treatment instead. They're actually stars, unlike Storm.

Of course, it could always be worse... Colt "BOOM BOOM" Cabana could get the title shot instead, or *shudder* Mr. Anderson...Ander--Zzz.

It's a shame they booked themselves into a corner with that Tim Storm stip, because Aldis vs. Tim Storm would be the best option by a mile. 

I want to see Tim Storm vs. James Storm, with the loser losing the name Storm, and Tim goes into business for himself, shoots, and knocks out James. (Not wishing any permanent damage. I'd want James to be 100% fine afterward.) B)

They need to cycle in & out some new faces as well. Taping that many episodes at once is brutal because the shows are starting to feel the same already. Like there's only four women. I didn't really care to see Anderson & Cabana from the jump. And they have a Women's title, midcard title, tag titles & world title with a roster of like 15-20 people. It's crazy. 

Hopefully we'll get some new stuff because of the PPV & going forward. I know Melina just showed up last week for the ladies but still, that's not enough. It's basically world champion Allysin Kay & Ashley Vox (whom is a jobber basically) as the faces & then Thunder Rosa & Marti Belle as the heels with Melina as the manager, I guess? Is she going to wrestle?

I'm not as down on James Storm as C.S. is, I do think he's got a strong look & is a good promo.. but I agree that I have no real desire to watch him wrestle & it doesn't make sense for him to get a title shot after just losing. I just hope whomever is chosen that it remains a 1v1 match. I don't want a 3-way or any sort of multiperson clusterfuck, y'know? Because, again, the roster is too damn small.

I of course haven't read any spoilers but I have a sinking suspicion that the Rock & Roll Express are going to win the damn tag titles too. Which would probably bother me more if the NWA tag division meant anything right now or if I didn't think that even today the RnR can probably outwork the teams they do have. Homicide is acting like he doesn't want to be there. The Bram team is... nothing. I don't even remember the other teams. 

I love the format of the show, the style of the show & the layout, etc. The biggest issue for me right now is like the opposite issue that the other promotions have. The issue with NWA is the roster. They have some talent they're just too thin, top to bottom. 

EDIT: I forgot Kamille. She's a women they have that they could use too as a worker. I don't know if she's any good but I know she at least wrestles because she's posted clips from Puerto Rico & stuff on her Instagram.

2 hours ago, C.S. said:

It's a shame they booked themselves into a corner with that Tim Storm stip, because Aldis vs. Tim Storm would be the best option by a mile.

1 hour ago, SirEdger said:

Either way they're going for the NWA title match for their PPV, I assume that Tim Storm will get involved somehow. I just don't know why but that's definitely their best storyline to date.

I agree, it's kind of a shame it won't be Tim Storm getting the shot at the World Title, because I think there is still some mileage left in that rivalry.  I never saw their match at the CZW show back in 2017, so out of their "trilogy" I've only seen the match they had on Championship Wrestling from Hollywood and of course their third match on the debut episode of Power.  I think they could have easily had a couple more matches before using the stipulation that Storm doesn't get any more shots at the title. 

Of all the other available options, I'd most likely enjoy Drake vs. Aldis the most.  Although I hope Trevor Murdoch gets another chance to fight Aldis again in the future as well.

I just don't want Tim Storm as a heel because he's such a good, sympathetic babyface. Which is not really something that NWA has elsewhere. James Storm? No. Colt Cabana? C'mon. Ken Anderson? Hell no. Eli Drake? Negative. 

So Tim Storm fills a role & I hope they don't mess things up by trying to switch things up because I don't think any of those other talents can get over in the same way that a Tim Storm can. 

They actually have a lot of people that come off as douchebags or swarmy even when they're not necessarily heels. Even Nick Aldis feels like a tweener.

I'm thinking something happens with Aldis causing him to lose the title & then Storm gets a shot at the new champion. Whomever that turns out to be.

Aldis vs Drake at the PPV. Drake wins with help of Kamille. Forms an alliance withe the tag champs. Aldis pushes Tim Storm to challenge. Screws him.

The PPV is in three weeks ? They really need to push forward those storylines. More Trevor Murdoch. Less Aaron Stevens.

The fact the Youtube comment section is already full of Corny sycophants is sad, when himself asked to support the promotion no matter what.

10 minutes ago, Coffey said:

I just don't want Tim Storm as a heel because he's such a good, sympathetic babyface. Which is not really something that NWA has elsewhere. James Storm? No. Colt Cabana? C'mon. Ken Anderson? Hell no. Eli Drake? Negative. 

So Tim Storm fills a role & I hope they don't mess things up by trying to switch things up because I don't think any of those other talents can get over in the same way that a Tim Storm can. 

They actually have a lot of people that come off as douchebags or swarmy even when they're not necessarily heels. Even Nick Aldis feels like a tweener.

I'm thinking something happens with Aldis causing him to lose the title & then Storm gets a shot at the new champion. Whomever that turns out to be.

See, I never ever saw Nick Aldis as a babyface ever since the start of NWA Powerrr. At best, I see him as a tweener right now, when I thought he was more of a heel in the 2 first episodes.

I don't think Tim Storm is turning heel because they just released Momma Storm merch.

https://www.nationalwrestlingalliance.com/shop/official-national-wrestling-alliance-momma-storm-lapel-pin

1 hour ago, Coffey said:

I think the stip is that Storm can't get another shot at the title, period. I don't think that changes if Aldis loses.

Is this just a recap show or what? What the hell.

Eli Drake talking about Austin, Rock & Flair but doesn't acknowledge my comparison to Ace in the Hole Sonny Siaki. :lol: That promo was awkward because the crowd was dead silent at the beginning. Thankfully they started making some noise toward the end to give him something to work with.

Empty studio match. Just to empty Jim Cornette. I admit this is kinda funny as fuck. Stupid, but funny in a super meta-ironic way. The segment is shit though. 

Really, Corny fucked them up real good, because I don't see how this helps them get any momentum for the PPV. Get Melina out there already !