Pro Wrestling Only

NWA Powerrr

Coffey

2 hours ago, C.S. said:

I'm behind on the N-Dubya-A. Should I even bother watching last week's clip show/empty arena debacle or can I safely skip it and watch this week's show without missing anything crucial?

Absolutely.  If I had skipped last week's episode entirely I would probably have a lot better of an opinion about this promotion overall than I do right now.  I mentioned it elsewhere in this thread, but it bears repeating...they really screwed up with the spacing and editing of the episodes they had in the can after their first set of tapings.  Last week was pretty much a pointless show with nothing of any value.  Some people are blaming it on the Cornette fallout, but I don't buy that for a minute. It all boils down to the fact that they didn't tape enough TV to make it to the PPV, and they were trying to stretch it out.  Billy Corgan essentially admitted that in an interview (not that they fucked up, but that they were tying to make the footage they shot stretch out.)  This week's episode was fine, and the promos are pretty much must see if you want to watch the PPV. If they plan to go ahead with this model moving forward (one set of tapings leading up to a PPV) then they really need to plan ahead better as far as booking and scheduling.

• Replies 900
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

1 hour ago, C.S. said:

That doesn't mean there aren't problems: Their roster of WWE has-beens and TNA never-weres isn't very exciting, the matches generally haven't been awesome, and some of the "local" talent (and I include Bram in that even though he's an ex-TNA guy) feel very bush league...So, yeah, the NWA is very rough around the edges - obviously - but the things they are doing right feel very special (the aesthetic, set, graphics, music, Aldis as champion, Tim Storm, Momma Storm, Thunder Rosa, etc.).

I agree there have only been two or three matches over the past couple of months that were actually good.  They kind of shot themselves in the foot a bit by having their best match so far (Aldis vs. Storm III) as the Main Event of the first show.  It's all been downhill from there, in retrospect they probably should have built up to that.  I can live with the fact that they basically have been using Power to build toward the PPV if (and this is a huge if) they actually deliver at least one or two very good matches at the PPV.  Otherwise the whole thing becomes pointless, in my opinion.  They aren't giving us weekly Pro Wrestling classics, and I can live with that provided they eventually do pay off all the promos with decent matches. To me, it's imperative that Aldis vs. Storm delivers at least a *** match, otherwise I will be a lot less likely to get excited about watching another 8 week buildup to a PPV, if I think it's just going to disappoint.  I think Aldis and Storm could be good, but it could also be disappointing or average.  I hope those guys are going to work hard and give us a solid match.  I'm not expecting them to be as good as matches Aldis had with Cody at All In and NWA70, but they need to be at least as good as his matches with Tim Storm.

As far as Bram, I actually think he's pretty good but his partner Royce Isaacs doesn't do much for me.  He appears to have gone to the Kenny Omega/Joey Janela "school of ridiculously goofy theatrical facial expressions."  It wouldn't bother me one bit if they broke the Wild Card up and Bram went on his own.  I'm still loving Tim Storm as a pure babyface, but it's obvious he didn't work the second day of the TV tapings, because he basically disappeared for the last four episodes, and that was a bad idea.  If they're going to use him, they need to use him wisely.

My thought on Powerrr vs. MLW since it was brought up. I would rather watch Powerrr the TV show over MLW but if I could only get tickets to a show, MLW would be my first choice. MLW is better inring by a lot. But Powerrr is just a really well produced TV show with good weekly angles. I enjoy both promotions but they both have their strengths and weaknesses.

1 hour ago, El-P said:

FTR, Momma Storm is Judy Bagwell level lame. No idea why anyone thinks it's cool. A 50 year old guy talking about his "momma" sounds dumb as fuck. There's a George Carlin quote about that somewhere...

Oh, come on. It really isn't. It's a middle aged man, with not much left going his way trying to what he can to keep his elderly mother happy and full of life. It's basic white meat babyface stuff, and it works. It's nowhere near Judy Bagwell showing up in a shite jumper levels of lame.

I don't know why you're being such an angry tit about NWA Power to be honest. It's an hour a week of promos and short matches, and every Wednesday I come on here expecting to see you've thrown yourself off Pontcysyllte Aqueduct over it. You probably spend more time every week being angry about the show on here typing up posts and things than the show actually lasts. It's just wrestling, mate. You're entitled to think it's shite, and that's great. But your vitriol towards it is a bit OTT.

Is your issue with the show, or people not digging the shows you prefer and compare Power to unfavourably every week?

13 minutes ago, ButchReedMark said:

Is your issue with the show, or people not digging the shows you prefer and compare Power to unfavourably every week?

I don't give a flying fuck about anyone liking what I like or not. I guess NWA Powerr is an interesting topic to me for several reasons (the whole "retromania" issue is something that is quite fascinating in general, not just in pro-wrestling), and the thread is always quite active so I guess there's more material for discussion than say, on the MLW and IMPACT threads in which I'm quite active too usually. The day NWA Powerr delivers something I will love (and who knows, like I said I was about to quit MLW several times and then their big show was terrific and I loved it), be sure I will talk about it too.

1 hour ago, Mad Dog said:

My thought on Powerrr vs. MLW since it was brought up. I would rather watch Powerrr the TV show over MLW but if I could only get tickets to a show, MLW would be my first choice. MLW is better inring by a lot. But Powerrr is just a really well produced TV show with good weekly angles. I enjoy both promotions but they both have their strengths and weaknesses.

I pretty much agree with you, although I have now given up on MLW and no longer watch it.  But I found the first six episodes of Power really easy to watch, they just flew by.  Things started to go off the rails a bit after that, but even though the matches weren't all that great I found the first month and a half of Power to be entertaining and fun viewing.  I can't even specify exactly why, maybe it was the nostalgia aspect or maybe it was because it was so different, but Power really grabbed me in a way a show like Fusion never did. I gave up on MLW because I was finding them wildly inconsistent...some weeks were great and others not so great.  I find it interesting that MLW's weekly show averages around 48,000 views on YouTube when Power is getting around 120,000 or so...and that is after the Cornette controversy.  I guess some people must agree with me.

I'd love to know how much money MLW and the NWA actually earn from YouTube since their shows are monetized. Specifically, I wonder if 120,000 views a week are enough to have any noticeable financial impact.  I have heard Brian Last mention that YouTube advertising can generate a significant amount of money (hence the whole ruckus over the "Jim Cornette's Talking Sense" channel and other unauthorized Jim Cornette content on YouTube) but I'd really be curious to know how much they can make from that.  I really wonder how sustainable having a YouTube show is as a business model.

Like I imagine most members of PWO do, I find that I have to budget my time wisely when it comes deciding what Pro Wrestling I was going to watch every week.  There just isn't enough time to watch everything out there, so I have to prioritize what I enjoy and eliminate what I haven't.  Since the move to the USA Network, NXT has far and away become my favorite weekly Pro Wrestling program and I never miss that.  After that, I'd say Power was my favorite show.  Next up would be NXT UK, and finally I have caught every episode of AEW Dynamite since they debuted, although I have considered dropping them on a couple of occasions.  And of course...at this point, I'd rather never watch Pro Wrestling again than try and sit through an episode of Raw, Smackdown or Ring of Honor.

Like I said, I gave up on MLW last summer, and Impact last spring.  I was considering watching Impact again at one point, but when they changed creative direction and started doing intergender matches and then signed Joey Ryan, that pretty much ensured I'd never watch them again. Life is much too short for me to spend any of it watching that type of stuff, I just don't enjoy it.  That's not my preferred style of Pro Wrestling.  So far, for the most part Power has been, so I hope they keep it up and make important improvements.

That's why it's hard for me to understand why anybody would watch something they clearly don't like and then spend an inordinate amount of time bitching about it.  I don't like Impact, so I don't watch it and I don't talk about it.  I'm sure people who do like Impact don't need me incessantly bitching in the Impact thread about how much I hate Joey Ryan or bringing up the same talking points over and over again, ad nauseam.

53 minutes ago, ButchReedMark said:

I haven't got one.

For a minute I was going to ask why you don't have an ignore list...but then I saw that you bolded the life part of the sentence. 

Don't worry brother, you're among friends here.  I don't know anybody else my age who watches 5-6 hours of Pro Wrestling a week and then spends time every day posting about it on a message board. :D

Google got busted ignoring laws against advertising to children, so the overreacted as usual and made it hard for anything with violent content to get any ad revenue. They just announced not to long ago that they will loosen up on simulated violence like video games as opposed to actual war type violence, so perhaps that will make it easier for wrestling companies. 

Of course this will probably be one of those times where the same crowd that always has to tell you wrestling is fake will tell you it has to be lumped in with the real violence.

7 hours ago, The Thread Killer said:

I find it interesting that MLW's weekly show averages around 48,000 views on YouTube when Power is getting around 120,000 or so...

MLW has a TV deal. They are on BEiNG Sports. No idea what their actual watchers numbers are, but considering they actually sell tickets to shows and seem to do reasonnably well all things considered (better than IMPACT I believe ?), I guess they are doing ok on TV for whatever their reach is.

The reason why I keep on watching NWA is because :

A/it's on Youtube so it's easy as hell to watch. If it wasn't on Youtube, not sure I would get through the trouble of grabbing it somewhere, honestly. So yeah, that plays a part.

B/I guess part of me still wants to find something about the show I like and hope it will get better. Hell, I guess from what I get, I like James Storm (from his old TNA days in AMW and Beer Money) and Colt Cabana more than most. I like Thunder Rosa. I like Kamille. I like Eddie Kingston. I like Trevor Murdoch. I'm quite ok with Eli Drake. So there. The day I have no interest at all anymore (or get busy IRL, that would be a change), I will just quit watching. 

2 hours ago, El-P said:

MLW has a TV deal. They are on BEiNG Sports. No idea what their actual watchers numbers are, but considering they actually sell tickets to shows and seem to do reasonnably well all things considered (better than IMPACT I believe ?), I guess they are doing ok on TV for whatever their reach is.

The reason why I keep on watching NWA is because :

A/it's on Youtube so it's easy as hell to watch. If it wasn't on Youtube, not sure I would get through the trouble of grabbing it somewhere, honestly. So yeah, that plays a part.

B/I guess part of me still wants to find something about the show I like and hope it will get better. Hell, I guess from what I get, I like James Storm (from his old TNA days in AMW and Beer Money) and Colt Cabana more than most. I like Thunder Rosa. I like Kamille. I like Eddie Kingston. I like Trevor Murdoch. I'm quite ok with Eli Drake. So there. The day I have no interest at all anymore (or get busy IRL, that would be a change), I will just quit watching. 

Would you be watching if the name of the promotion was something other than NWA?

7 minutes ago, WingedEagle said:

Would you be watching if the name of the promotion was something other than NWA?

That's a good question. Maybe not, indeed. Although I did not care to watch the previous PPV with Aldis vs Cody II (despite loving their match at All In), but I was curious to see what Corgan would do with the franchise. But I guess a show with the same exact roster that was named something else and would look like ROH or even MLW would probably have gotten no attention from me. Like I said, this project is at least intriguing to me, maybe for wrong reasons.

2 hours ago, WingedEagle said:

While you do have a point, everyone regarded it as a massive joke and called Corgan a dumb "money mark" when he bought the rights to the NWA. The fact that it now has actual viewers and buzz is nothing short of a miracle. You have to give credit where credit is due: they're doing something right to get to this point, and it's down to more than just three letters. 

17 hours ago, Mad Dog said:

I've been to several MLW shows and while they're enjoyable, they also run way long and really burn out a crowd to the point that matches you might be looking forward to don't have the pop they should because the crowd is dead. To be fair, I'm not sure the NWA woould be much fun either, all squashes and talking for a few hours. (The winner in the tapings front for me is Impact - they tape two shows in a night but get them done in under 3 hours, so it's a breezy evening of mostly pretty good wrestling. Highly recommend seeing them if you're near one of the 5 towns they tape TV in.)

4 hours ago, Migs said:

I've been to several MLW shows and while they're enjoyable, they also run way long and really burn out a crowd to the point that matches you might be looking forward to don't have the pop they should because the crowd is dead. To be fair, I'm not sure the NWA woould be much fun either, all squashes and talking for a few hours. (The winner in the tapings front for me is Impact - they tape two shows in a night but get them done in under 3 hours, so it's a breezy evening of mostly pretty good wrestling. Highly recommend seeing them if you're near one of the 5 towns they tape TV in.)

This week's PoweRRR was very ropey and kind of desperate feeling. You could see the strings to speak in terms of the things storyline-wise they tried to fix in post-production.

MLW is typically everything you and others said Migs. But fans and wrestlers are absolutely raving about the TV taping they did last night and that will start airing this weekend. Not one bad match and the Creative is on point. They actually finally might have gotten their shit together.

26 minutes ago, rovert said:

This week's PoweRRR was very ropey and kind of desperate feeling. You could see the strings to speak in terms of the things storyline-wise they tried to fix in post-production.

MLW is typically everything you and others said Migs. But fans and wrestlers are absolutely raving about the TV taping they did last night and that will start airing this weekend. Not one bad match and the Creative is on point. They actually finally might have gotten their shit together.

Totally agree about the first point.

Don't tease me about MLW. Salina coming back already has me hyped up a bit. If they do get their shit together, they could be one hell of a cool promotion as demonstrated by their PPV (and some ridiculous stuff I like like the GTA Vice City Death Match the other week).

On this week's episode of The Jim Cornette Experience, Cornette talked some more about the fallout of his resignation from the NWA.  He addressed the fact that last week's episode was a clip show, and the rumors that the original episode had been pulled because of his joke.  Cornette confirmed that Episode 8 had always been planned as a "package show" even when they were taping the episodes, so that had nothing to do with the controversy surrounding his joke. Cornette also said that Episode 9 was always intended to end with the Rock n Rolls winning the Tag Team titles and if they had refused to air that or if they had wiped his commentary he would have been very upset. Cornette claimed that the Triple Threat match to determine the #1 Contender for the World Championship had also been intended for the final episode, but that they weren't happy with how the match came off.  Cornette confirmed that there was all sorts of outside interference in the match.  He didn't say this specifically, but it sounds like either Corgan and Lagana decided to scrap the match because they don't want the big matches to involve screwjob finishes, or it's equally as possible that due to the stuff going on outside the ring the camera guys missed something so it couldn't air.

Cornette also talked about how his fans have been protesting his resignation in the YouTube comments section and badmouthing Dave Lagana in the YouTube comments and on Twitter. He mentioned that he heard that the reaction to Episode 8 was pretty much universally negative and he wasn't sure if that was because his fans were protesting or just because the show sucked. Cornette joked that he is fine with his fans saying fuck Dave Lagana, but not fuck the NWA. Cornette once again implored his fans to support the NWA and not to punish the guys on the roster who had nothing to do with the entire situation.  Cornette pointed out that he knows that there were some people watching only because of him (either because they love him or hate him) so it's natural that those people are going to quit watching now that he's gone, but that if his fans like the NWA they should continue to support them.

Cornette also talked about how he has heard from a lot of the talent in the NWA who are unhappy that he quit and how the situation went down.  A lot of people reportedly feel that Dave Lagana pretty much threw Jim Cornette under the bus. He reiterated that Dave Lagana heard his joke the night of the show and he heard it when he edited the show for broadcast on YouTube, but he never had a problem with it or said a thing about it until there was a backlash - and then he apologized and tried to make Cornette apologize, which is why Cornette got pissed off and quit. Cornette said that he was fine with it if the last time he ever appears on a Pro Wrestling television program is when he was seen celebrating in the ring with the Rock and Roll Express.  Cornette reminded his fans that the NWA is hoping to get a weekly TV deal, and if that happens he never would have continued as the Color Commentator anyhow, because he isn't willing to commit to something like that, especially if he'd have to drive to Atlanta.

4 hours ago, rovert said:

I have heard good things, but the friend that took my ticket still said it was "great, but kinda long." At the least, it seems like the booking leaned into the parts of the show that work and relied less on the stuff that didn't, so I'm intrigued to watch at least some of these shows.

21 hours ago, C.S. said:

While you do have a point, everyone regarded it as a massive joke and called Corgan a dumb "money mark" when he bought the rights to the NWA. The fact that it now has actual viewers and buzz is nothing short of a miracle. You have to give credit where credit is due: they're doing something right to get to this point, and it's down to more than just three letters. 

Without knowing how much he paid I don't see any basis for calling Corgan dumb or a money mark.  It also hardly seems a stretch to say that a promotion with any other name would not have had the same buzz.  The letters NWA were the biggest asset from day 1 and provided a launch point from which they could try to build something.