Coffey

• Replies 900
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

On 1/8/2020 at 9:03 AM, Log said:

It might make you all happy to know that I was talking with a friend of mine who works in the wrestling business and he said that Tim Storm might be the nicest guy he's ever met.

Known Tim since 2013 and he is uber nice. So Happy that he is getting a chance to be known outside the TX/LA/AR/MS circuit he has worked for decades.

On 1/8/2020 at 10:03 AM, Log said:

It might make you all happy to know that I was talking with a friend of mine who works in the wrestling business and he said that Tim Storm might be the nicest guy he's ever met.

7 hours ago, bobholly138 said:

Known Tim since 2013 and he is uber nice. So Happy that he is getting a chance to be known outside the TX/LA/AR/MS circuit he has worked for decades.

I've heard a lot of Pro Wrestlers or people who work behind the scenes say that the guys who give the best and most convincing interviews are the ones who are just "being themselves" and turning their personalities up a bit.  It's great to hear that the Pro Wrestler who comes across as the best pure "good guy" in wrestling right now really is a good guy.

12 hours ago, C.S. said:

Reminder: The $15 preorder price for NWA Hard Times on Fite ends in a couple of hours.

I'm debating on whether or not to order it, even though there's no announced card and I'm woefully behind on watching Powerrr. 

I pre-ordered it.  What the hell, it's 15 bucks and I really want to support this company as long as they're putting out a decent product.  Even though they've made some major missteps, I still think Billy Corgan's version of the NWA fills a void in the Pro Wrestling business right now and appeals to the nostalgic old school fans.  I'm not going to watch the show for free by some less than legal means if I can throw them a couple of bucks to support them.  I figure if I can put 10 bucks a month into Vince McMahon's pocket every month, the least I can do is pay the NWA for what I watch.

Hell, up until recently I was paying an extra 5 bucks a month on my cable bill for the Anthem owned Fight Network. Then they lost the UFC deal to TSN, and Impact signed Joey Ryan. Since The Fight Network has now basically turned into nothing but a combination of ancient kickboxing shows from the 90's and everything else is old TNA, the syndicated ROH show and current Impact 24/7, I cancelled the channel. I'll go without TV at all before I financially support ROH and stupid Impact and their stupid intergender Pro Wrestling and Dick Boy, dammit.  They don't get a damn nickel of my money. (And a nickel is a lot of money. A nickel will buy you a steak and kidney pie, a cup of coffee, a slice of cheesecake and a newsreel...with enough change left over to ride the trolley from Battery Park to the Polo Grounds.)

Decent episode of Power this week. Two weeks until the PPV and we finally have a good idea what the brackets are going to be for the TV Title tournament, with the exception of the two "open slots" which are apparently for individuals not currently on the NWA roster, their identities to be revealed next week.  I'm very curious about that.

- Thought the Ricky Morton promo was decent.  One thought that occurred to me is that poor old Ricky needs to see a doctor and get checked for skin cancer, because those discolorations on his head are kind of scary looking.

- Zicky Dice might be not much to look at in the ring, but he cuts one hell of an old school promo.  I still think Ricky Starks has a lot of potential, but when he is cast in the babyface role (which he clearly was here) he doesn't seem able to adapt and seems a bit out of his depth.  He needs to get some advice from Tim Storm.

- Dawson vs. Dawson to qualify for the TV Title Tournament was pretty much what you'd expect from these two. Two big fat jobbers executing barely competent basic Pro Wrestling moves. Thankfully this was mercifully short.  I have a real issue with the fact that one of the Dawson Brothers is going to be in the tournament on the PPV, and CW Anderson isn't.

- They showed footage of Nick Aldis invading Ring of Honor.  I guess now that Marty Scurll has some pull in ROH, we're going to see a lot more cooperation between these two organizations, which is probably a win-win.  If you look back at The Crockett Cup tournament, the NWA would never have been able to promote that show without ROH, it was all their production equipment, cameras, etc. Hopefully this will help the NWA hold some shows outside the GPB studios at some point.  Plus the talent exchanges could be interesting.  And now we're getting Nick Aldis vs. Flip Gordon at the PPV, which I am quite looking forward to.

- I really liked the video package they did about the problems between Ken Anderson and Colt Cabana.  Both guys did an excellent job and this was just really well put together, in my opinion.

- I skipped the Melina vs. Ashley Vox match.  Life is far too short to spend your time watching Melina matches.

- The Pope working with Kingston and Homicide (or as Stu Bennett calls him: "Homocide") seems to work, although they're teasing dissension already, which is odd.  Not a big fan of these guys losing to the comedy team, either.  I think somebody needs to explain to Dave Lagana that just because the fans in the GPB studios have adopted The Question Mark as a joke, it doesn't mean you have to push him and have him beat all your top guys.

- The Scott Steiner promo was pretty much his same old tired act that he's been doing since he turned on Rick in 1998.  I've never been a big fan of his, and he sure hasn't gotten any better with age.  I clearly remember thinking this guy was well past his prime when he showed up in WWE to feud with Triple H and that was 18 years ago.  He's almost 60 now.  I guess he deserves a lot of credit for still being alive considering the insane amount of steroids he's done during his life, but his being in the NWA right now really does nothing for me.

- I didn't hate the Gibson, Drake and Storm vs. Steiner & Wild Cards match. Steiner barely got in there at all, and it was a fairly well executed. I especially liked the fact that they gave it a fair bit of time (especially by NWA standards) they went almost 10 minutes. I guess the result means that next week, Ricky Morton gets a shot at Nick Aldis. I can live with that, it's a TV match.  Everybody knows they are building to Aldis vs. Scurll, but you have to put something on TV in the meantime.  I really hope that whoever the two surprise entrants in the TV title tournament are, they're not card carrying members of the AARP though.  Having guys like The Rock and Rolls and Steiner around is fine for name recognition, but for the future of this brand they need to be focusing on guys like Caleb Konley and Ricky Starks, not Ricky Morton and Scott Steiner.

Another great episode of Powerrr! They showed the brackets for the TV title tournament which made it easier to follow.

Scott Steiner cut another one of his promos putting down the crowd for eating potato chips and not caring about how many “caro-lies” they were taking in. Gibson’s mystery partners were Eli Drake and Tim Storm. GREAT crowd heat throughout the match. Steiner really shouldn’t be in a wrestling ring but he did throw some good suplexes and heeled it up really well. Gibson got the pin after Drake hit a move so now Morton will challenge Aldis.

The Pope walked out in disgust after Homicide and Kingston lost to Stevens and Question Mark.

Melina beat some lady (drawing a blank) and jawed with Alison Kaye.

The Dawson with hair beat the other Dawson when he cracked his brother over the head with the cast on his right wrist.

Really fun show!

So the Hard Times PPV is coming live from the GPB studios (aka the "NWA Arena") next Friday, and then they are taping two days of TV the following days, the 25th and 26th of January.  They usually shoot 3-4 days of TV per taping, depending on how far away the next PPV is going to be.  Today I got an email alert that Marty Scurll is going to be working the second day of tapings on January 26, which means he will likely be pretty heavily featured on 3-4 episodes of Power towards the end of February/Early March (assuming they air the taped TV in sequence like they have so far.)  That makes it a pretty safe bet that they are going to be working toward the Aldis/Scurll rematch from the Crockett Cup for the next NWA PPV. Unless they end up co-promoting something with ROH.

I sadly said this not on a podcast. What I really love about the NWA is that it reminds me of Silver Age Marvel. This super small universe with a single consolidated voice moving all of the pieces together in a logical and cohesive way. Everyone's place on the roster is carved out and they have branching relationships on the roster that allows storylines to briefly touch each other and then bounce back into their own space. I wish the inring product was a little better but I think the NWA has the best storytelling in wrestling right now.

I mean, at its core, I never perceived studio wrestling as the spot where you get 5 star classics except for the seldom featured match every now and then. But I really like as well that they're taking their time, telling those stories. In Season 1, it was mostly about Tim Storm's path to redemption (by the way, imagine if that guy was on the AEW roster how ridiculously over he would be as well) and now, it's about Ricky Morton getting another shot at the NWA title almost 34 years after his classic with Ric Flair at the Great American Bash. Everything happens for a reason and I can live with subpar matches on Powerrr since we've got some great promo work and story development on a weekly basis.

I totally agree with you.  I love this product, but I wish they'd move out of the studio for the PPV's and turn it up a notch on the in-ring product for the big shows. I liked how they did their best to make the studio feel a bit different for Into The Fire, but it really isn't enough.  Like I said when I reviewed that PPV, they should be able to find some venue in the Atlanta area that seats 250-500 people that looks good. That's really my only major complaint.  Well, that and The Question Mark going over guys he clearly shouldn't be beating...but whatever.

I'd never even thought about that.  That would be excellent, having the NWA return to Center Stage.  NXT and ROH have both run there fairly recently, and it's well known that you can "pipe and drape" that venue to suit smaller crowds.  The NWA needs to make that happen, great idea.  Having the Power tapings at GPB but run big shows at Center Stage.  Now I really want to see that.

5 hours ago, The Thread Killer said:

Well, that and The Question Mark going over guys he clearly shouldn't be beating...but whatever.

Yeah, this is bothering me, too. It's one thing to have a fun, goofy gimmick get over because it's goofy & the studio audience are having a fun time with it. It's another thing entirely to push it as credible. To me, it's no different than how unbelievable it is to still see the Rock 'n Roll Express wrestling, let alone winning matches. 

I had no desire to see the RnR work in 2019. Them winning the titles was a joke. Them defending the titles was a joke. And now Ricky Morton is getting a world title shot? It's not nostalgic, it's lame. 

That shit makes this company looks really, really bush league. Which, I mean, it is bush league, but they shouldn't be going for that look. It makes them look like a parody - which is one of the big things people have used to shine a negative light on the company. That the wrestlers are all cosplaying & it's just like a big gimmick show trying to look like old studio shows from the 1980s. Like the old school episode that Impact did, only it's not a one night only thing but it's their real actual product.

The women's division is bad. The tag division is bad. They're adding another midcard title that they don't really need, since they already had one. Their roster is paper thin. Like the wheels are coming off this train, for sure. 

El-P was a lot more down on NWA as a whole than I ever was but I don't see any sort of future for NWA. Rovert said that they're not making any money from YouTube or anything. So they have to do this PPV model. They're apparently teaming up with ROH but ROH also seems as doomed as doomed can be. It's just not a good look all around.

I love Tim Storm. I really like Nick Aldis. I think Kamille can be a superstar. Ricky Starks has a lot of potential. I enjoy the commentary & really like David Marquez as the interviewer. There's good promos in NWA for sure... but there's a lot of duct tape, glue & bent nails holding this thing together. Allysin Kay is great. Marti Belle & everyone else isn't. You can't have a division & a title with that. For every Tim Storm you have three or four Ken Andersons or The Dawsons taking up space. Like bringing in Scott Steiner in 2020 is not where they should be... but here we are.

I like that they're focused more on promos. But they need to focus on getting over young talent credibly & with how they work in NWA, that isn't happening. The matches are all too short & don't give any time to tell a story, really. The outcomes don't seem to matter all too much. Even the title matches kind of feel like they come out of nowhere. It feels very short term. Will NWA even be around in this form one year from now? Will there still be an NWA Power on Youtube next January? What's stopping an AEW or WWE from taking someone like Kamille or Ricky Starks? You can't make a company that's just a bunch of people that the other companies don't want. 

Apparently tonight's episode (which is the last show before the PPV on Friday) is going to be 90 minutes rather than the standard 50-60.  Not sure how I feel about that, one of the things I like about Power is that it tends to fly by, not drag on.  I guess they want to give the sure to be epic Morton/Aldis match lots of time.

On 1/21/2020 at 1:36 PM, The Thread Killer said:

Apparently tonight's episode (which is the last show before the PPV on Friday) is going to be 90 minutes rather than the standard 50-60.  Not sure how I feel about that, one of the things I like about Power is that it tends to fly by, not drag on.  I guess they want to give the sure to be epic Morton/Aldis match lots of time.

Yeah, I didn't know this until I went to go watch the episode today myself. Needless to say, although it was a good show, I was thankful I wasn't watching during the premiere so I was able to jump forward when I wanted to. 

I'm not liking the PPV card at all. 

Hopefully with the apparent partnership with ROH we’ll see some of the older acts fade away. I like the promotion but they really need to figure out what they want to be. They have a chance to do some special things, IMO, but I think they need to move away from so much humor and nostalgia acts. There’s a time and place for these things but the NWA has been doing this a bit too much.

Final card for tonights NWA Hard Times PPV:

NWA TELEVISION CHAMPIONSHIP TOURNAMENT
Tim Storm vs. Ken Anderson
Ricky Starks vs. Matt Cross
Zicky Dice vs. Dan Maff
Trevor Murdoch vs. The Question Mark

NWA WOMENS CHAMPIONSHIP MATCH
Allysin Kay(c) vs. Thunder Rosa

NWA WORLD TAG TEAM CHAMPIONSHIPS MATCH
The Rock N Roll Express(c) vs. The Wild Cards vs. Eli Drake & James Storm

NWA NATIONAL CHAMPIONSHIP MATCH
Aron Stevens(c) vs. Scott Steiner

Nick Aldis vs. Flip Gordon

I really liked this week's episode and thought it was pretty much the best episode they could have done heading into the PPV.

- I don't have an issue with them starting the show with a promo when they do it like they did with the Robert Gibson interview. The promo was quick, to the point, well done and then went right into a match.

- The Thunder Rosa/Tasha Steelz match was good.  Both women came out looking great, and unlike women's matches in other promotions, it was quick.  If the NWA has to have a Women's Division, they really need to focus on Thunder Rosa and forget about all this nonsense with Melina.

- Nick Aldis cut a decent promo furthering the NWA's working relationship with ROH and his rivalry with Scurll.  I am looking forward to this, both the interpromotional stuff and Aldis/Scurll II.

- The Royce Isaacs/May Valentine deal was what is was.  It wasn't badly done, but I really think Royce Isaacs isn't all that great and so it's hard to get enthusiastic about anything he does. Too bad he's not as good in the ring as he is on the microphone.

- I was very happy with the result of the Lattimer/Murdoch match.  Lattimer looked like a killer but Murdoch advances in the tournament.  Talking about Royce Isaacs in the last segment and watching Lattimer dominate this match kind of reinforced to me how much better Lattimer is than Isaacs.  Lattimer should just go back to being Bram and leave Isaacs behind, in my opinion.

- The Melina promo was ugh. The subsequent Kay/Belle match was okay, and was about as good a match as you're going to get out of Marti Belle, honestly.

- I am not sure where they're going with this whole Pope/Kingston/Homicide angle.  I hope they know where they're going.  Both Kingston and especially Pope are fucking gold when it comes to promos, though.

- The Aron Stevens karate demonstration was okay.  I really like Aron Stevens and I have no issue with him being pretty much a comedy character but I am so over the Question Mark stuff. That is a joke which was mildly amusing to me at first which has been pretty much driven into the ground.

- I loved the Gauntlet.  We FINALLY get an extended look at CW Anderson, so I loved that.  I still think they need to do more with Konley. I have to admit Ken Anderson looked pretty good in this match and then Anderson/Cabana split was done pretty much as well as it could have been done.  This whole match and the angle were done really well in my opinion.

- I enjoyed the James Storm/Eli Drake promo, you just tell that those guys were having fun out there.  I am REALLY hoping they win the World Tag Team Championships tonight.

- The Main Event was...okay.  It was a basic old school TV Main Event.  The outcome was never really in much doubt, and at least it cemented the fact that Aldis is fully embracing his heel status and is wrestling like a heel.

- I think they did a much better job this time around at hyping the upcoming PPV than they did with Into The Fire.

As far as the PPV tonight, I am really looking forward to it.

NWA TELEVISION CHAMPIONSHIP TOURNAMENT

Tim Storm vs. Ken Anderson

This could be surprisingly pretty decent.  Anderson has actually shown me a bit recently.  I am an unreserved Tim Storm mark now, and since the match will only be 6:05 I am guessing Anderson won't gas out.  I am hoping Tim Storm wins.

Ricky Starks vs. Matt Cross

I think Starks is one of the guys they need to build the NWA around.  I've been a Matt Cross fan for years, he used to wrestle for a local indy here in the Toronto area when he first started and was calling himself M-Dogg 20 and I liked his work in ROH.  I am guessing this is just as guest spot for Cross and that Starks will be winning, but I'm all for the NWA signing Matt Cross and his winning.  This can and should be a really solid match.

Zicky Dice vs. Dan Maff

The NWA seems to be all in on the Zicky Dice push, which I don't hate based on his excellent personality and promos. His interference in the Gauntlet Match on Power really cracked me up. I assume since Maff is a guest here from ROH and the fact that NWA is really pushing Dice, that Dice will win here.

Trevor Murdoch vs. The Question Mark

The Question Mark beat Trevor Murdoch at Into The Fire, which he totally should not have. I am hoping and praying that Murdoch gets his win back here and advances in the tournament. I can see him winning the whole thing and I wouldn't mind that at all. I am worried that he won't because the NWA seems to be in love with this Question Mark deal.  But I swear, if The Question Mark wins the title...I will be pissed.

Tournament Finals

I am predicting Storm, Starks, Dice and Murdoch advance in the tournament.  I have no issue with any of those guys winning the title. I am really hoping it will be Storm or Murdoch though.  Actually the only guy I really don't want to see win the TV title is The Question Mark.

NWA WOMENS CHAMPIONSHIP MATCH: Allysin Kay(c) vs. Thunder Rosa

This actually has the potential to be really good, and either woman winning would be fine.

NWA WORLD TAG TEAM CHAMPIONSHIPS MATCH: The Rock N Roll Express(c) vs. The Wild Cards vs. Eli Drake & James Storm

I am really hoping this is the end of the ridiculous Rock and Roll Express title reign.  I am hoping for Storm and Drake taking the titles here.

NWA NATIONAL CHAMPIONSHIP MATCH: Aron Stevens(c) vs. Scott Steiner

I have no interest whatsoever in this match.  This is going to be my bathroom break match, I can already tell.  Scott Steiner was washed up 20 years ago, and really has no business in the ring now.  With the NWA signing new guys every TV taping, and now getting talent on loan from ROH, there is no need for them to use guys like the Rock and Roll Express and Scott Steiner anymore.  It makes the NWA look ridiculous to have a bunch of quasi-crippled 60 + year olds in the ring.

Nick Aldis vs. Flip Gordon

I have not seen much of Flip Gordon aside from the rare ROH and NJPW match here and there, but from what I have seen I believe he and Aldis can have a very solid match.

I have pre-ordered this show, I am looking forward to it and will most likely share my thoughts after.