NWA Powerrr

Coffey

• Replies 900
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

So yeah, first episode = NWA matches from the first UWN PPV from months ago (is that still going on ?)... Will they show Thunder Rosa lose her belt too when she has been on AEW TV for weeks and weeks ? That would be awkward. Old school in a way (like, WCW 1993), but awkward.

1 hour ago, El-P said:

So yeah, first episode = NWA matches from the first UWN PPV from months ago (is that still going on ?)... Will they show Thunder Rosa lose her belt too when she has been on AEW TV for weeks and weeks ? That would be awkward. Old school in a way (like, WCW 1993), but awkward.

Sounds like it. They talked about Thunder Rosa as champion and mentioned her defense vs Priscilla Kelly (from the 2nd UWN PPV) will air next week.

and yes UWN is still going on with a show airing tonight as well

If I signed up for NWA's Patreon just to see matches I had already seen (other than a throwaway Eli Drake dark match from the first UWN Primetime Live show) I would have been pretty upset. If NWA wanted causal fans to catch up with events since Powerrr ended then they should have promoted a new recap or catchup show instead of promoting a new show with new matches.

3 hours ago, Migs said:

I figured that would happen since California is cracking down again with their pandemic restrictions (the San Francisco 49ers aren't even allowed to play home games for the next few weeks). 

• 2 weeks later...

I’m an unabashed Corgan era NWA fan, but I just can’t get into this empty arena stuff, I don’t care which promotion it is. The only place I’ve seen pull it off is AEW because they can at least seat some fans. If the NWA doesn’t have an outdoor place to run shows with at least some fans, I don’t know how much I would even want to see it.

Plus, Corgan gave anybody who asked for it their release, so what kind of roster will he have?  I assume the talent exchange with ROH is done because of what happened to Marty Scurll. On top of all that Corgan doesn’t have Lagana to do the day-to-day grunt work, so who is going to run the NWA?

I loved the new NWA but they are facing one hell of a long road back from the COVID mess.

Corgan has had months to figure out a replacement for Lagana, who never struck me as particularly smart and savvy anyway. Anyone who admits openly than Nick Aldis was the NWA's third choice (way to bury the champ!) and does more with The Question Mark than Eddie Kingston ain't exactly irreplaceable.

As for everyone asking for their releases, there are dozens more where those came from. Plus, I assume they still have their core group of Nick Aldis, Tim Storm, Joscephus, Aaron Stevens, Kamille, etc. (Is Eli Drake still there?)

I agree that empty arena studio wrestling sounds sad, but at least the studio setting is unique compared to other venues.

Plus, I wouldn't be surprised if there's an arrangement between AEW and the NWA too. 

• 3 weeks later...

Is it just me does Zicky Dice sound like a delusional a-hole here?

https://www.fightful.com/wrestling/exclusives/zicky-dice-discusses-falling-out-nwa-heat-nick-aldis

I mean, I certainly don't think Corgan and the not-so-dearly-departed Lagana are necessarily above being carnies, but Dice comes across as a total head case and ego trip in this interview, not only referring to himself in the third person, but doing so with his full wrestling nickname on top of that.

Really?! Get a grip, man...

On 1/2/2021 at 3:13 AM, rovert said:

Nah he's super well-liked by his peers. Ricky Starks didn't have much time for Aldis either. Few do.

What's wrong with Aldis? Zicky Dice seems like a total clown, at least in this interview, whereas Aldis represents the NWA and title with respect and class. He's a great champion and representative for the organization.

As for Starks, his potential is obvious, but I think he's still green and a few years away from really hitting his "prime," so to speak. He has the potential to be truly great in the future. It's a shame the NWA didn't work out for him, because a couple more years of seasoning there would have really helped him.

This has been said before, but my issue with Aldis is that he comes across as a cosplaying guy too much, not so much in the ring, but in his promos. His promos are basically "Watch Ric Flair 80s promos and emulate them" except of course it doesn't work cuz the contexts are so different

13 minutes ago, MoS said:

This has been said before, but my issue with Aldis is that he comes across as a cosplaying guy too much, not so much in the ring, but in his promos. His promos are basically "Watch Ric Flair 80s promos and emulate them" except of course it doesn't work cuz the contexts are so different

Yeah, there's definitely a bit of cosplay there. With that said, I found it delightful when he attempted a Southern American accent in that one promo. (It thought it might've been from the commercial for the upcoming RetroMania video game, but I just looked it again and it wasn't that.)

I like Nick Aldis, but to me, he comes off - as Rob Van Dam said about Shawn Michaels - as if he is dripping with insincerity. Part of the reason why I was such a big Tim Storm fan as the NWA babyface was because he played his underdog, old man babyface so well. I believed him. I think Aldis is pretty good but I don't really believe anything about him.

8 hours ago, C.S. said:

Aldis represents the NWA and title with respect and class. He's a great champion and representative for the organization.

You realize he represents nothing but himself, right ? The NWA is barely an acronym that was last relevant 35 years ago. The current form of NWA is not even MLW in term of having a roster, the current NWA basically *is* Nick Aldis. I get a kick out of "Nick Aldis represents the NWA with respect and class" used as some kind of argument, because it's basically a catchphrase, like saying Bret is "the best there was, the best there is and the best there ever will be".

8 hours ago, C.S. said:

It's a shame the NWA didn't work out for him, because a couple more years of seasoning there would have really helped him.

Oh yeah, sure, he would have learned so much working years in front of a studio of a controlled audience of 200 with all the glorious roster of the NWA, now he's stuck in AEW working on TNT in a roster filled with guys like Jericho, Dustin, Omega, Cody, the Bucks... damn...:lol:

9 hours ago, El-P said:

You realize he represents nothing but himself, right ? The NWA is barely an acronym that was last relevant 35 years ago. The current form of NWA is not even MLW in term of having a roster, the current NWA basically *is* Nick Aldis. I get a kick out of "Nick Aldis represents the NWA with respect and class" used as some kind of argument, because it's basically a catchphrase, like saying Bret is "the best there was, the best there is and the best there ever will be".

Shane Douglas, is that you?

I realize the pandemic wreaked havoc on the NWA, but Powerrr was a hell of a lot of fun before that and can hopefully be again. Your post basically makes my point for me in a roundabout way: Aldis is currently carrying them right now and keeping them propped up. Without him, it really is R.I.P. 

1 hour ago, C.S. said:

:lol: Still one of my all time favorite promo from one of my all time favorite pro-wrestler.

1 hour ago, C.S. said:

Your post basically makes my point for me in a roundabout way: Aldis is currently carrying them right now and keeping them propped up. Without him, it really is R.I.P. 

Yeah he's the guy who basically carried it back to some sort of relevance (that is, working with ROH and Cody at first), that's his identity (more than the other way around, as the "brand" Nick Aldis probably is of much more value than the NWA). Although you're forgetting that the biggest star in the NWA right now, by sheer virtue of being a semi-regular on AEW TV, is Thunder Rosa. ;) 

TBH, @El-P, I laughed at your Douglas-like NWA post because I was making similar posts myself for years

(BTW, I also agree with you about Shane Douglas. Not enough people appreciate how great he was!)

The Adam Pearce, Colt Cabana, etc. era was probably fun for those fans, but it wasn't the real NWA IMO and wasn't at all remotely relevant, either to those three letters or the wrestling landscape as a whole. 

But with NWA Powerrr, I really felt they were onto something. It was definitely the most fresh, interesting, and relevant the NWA name has been in decades. But bad hiring practices (Jim Cornette, Dave Lagana) and the pandemic fucked them sideways. Will they ever recover? The fact that I haven't bothered to watch Shockwave - and neither has anyone else, apparently - can't be a good sign. Come to think of it, I completely skipped "Season 2" of Powerrr as well. But maybe that's for the best, as 99% of that roster is gone now anyway. If there's ever a "Season 3" of Powerrr, then I will probably jump back in.

You have a good point about Thunder Rosa. I'm surprised she's actually still in the NWA. Maybe Billy threw the big bucks her way to stay? Who knows...

With that said, I do think we'll eventually see Aldis on Dynamite, in another AEW-NWA crossover. I'm surprised it hasn't happened already. Maybe the TNA stuff put anything else with the NWA on the backburner for now?

• 1 month later...