Pro Wrestling Only

NWA Powerrr

Coffey

I've always thought that Aldis rips off Flair way too much, and his shtick just doesn't work in 2021 NWA, especially when he is acting like Ric Flair circa 1982 while his promotion is booking stip matches indicating that top wrestlers are basically being held in NWA against their will. As if that wasn't bad enough on its own, now we also have a 3rd grade Horsemen ripoff stable? I don't see how any of this can be interesting.

• Replies 900
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I was never huge on Aldis but I thought he was okay during the initial run. His act is beyond tired now and it's made worse because it doesn't feel like there's anyone in the promotion that can take the belt off of him. But he's quickly become an instant fast forward for me now. Their best two workers, one is going commentary and they wrote the other one off of TV for a month.

• 2 weeks later...

Powerrr feels like it is on its last legs. The Fite deal & the constant recap shows, along with the depleting roster are all bad signs. The website still doesn't have merch, I just don't think they recovered from losing the YouTube & the initial buzz. Thunder Rosa is obviously going to be gone. I'm sure someone will pick up Kamille too, as she's great although I don't think Vince McMahon would love her accent. 

I just hope that Tim Storm stays involved in professional wrestling for as long as he desires. That man is a treasure. He should be employed somewhere if he leaves NWA. Even if in a non-wrestling role. He's really well spoken & looks great in a suit. He knows wrestling.

I wish them luck on their upcoming pay-per-view but I can't imagine it doing too well.

Honestly, the show was done as early as the pandemic + #SpeakingOut combo hit. They were still producing "stuff" until Lagana got outed and putting stuff up on their youtube channel. As soon as that stopped, it seems the whole deal went awry. People were leaving left and right (Thunder Rosa really is a trooper, not to ask for her release for so long when she's been pretty much on AEW talent for ever now), the hype was totally deflated and the comeback with the weekly PPV shows from another company was a non-factor. Then this stopped, then deleting everything from their Youtube channel was a big mistake in term of perception to me, because I'm sure some people would have enjoyed to watch the older shows back, while (almost) no one would pay to watch weekly 45 mn TV studio show with no crowd (the interaction with the studio crowd was a big part of what made the product appealing to its fans, as it was trying to re-create, for better or worse, the old 80's feel of studio wrestling). When you add in the fact they have even less talent than they had during the first season (which really wasn't that much to talk about as far as I'm concerned) and they apparently do recap (of what ?) show every three weeks, yeah, that stuff was cursed. They got unlucky like everyone else during Covid and I guess Lagana was the brain of the operation. 

Still hope for Kamille to show up in AEW or IMPACT eventually. Aldis is a strange case because his entire gimmick/character is to be the NWA champ. I guess he could do that routine in either promotion, or MLW too, but it could only last for so long.

On 6/1/2021 at 5:03 PM, Alucard said:

NWA has picked up Kylie Rae and JTG for the upcoming PPV.

And it looks like Kylie Rae has signed officially with the NWA. Per Mike Johnson of PWInsider, NWA & Impact have been negotiating for a while about what to do with this situation (Kylie was still under contract with Impact) and it seems like they've worked something out in the past week.

I just don't know why anyone would sign Kylie Rae at this point. I've fought my own battles with mental issues and I know how hard it is, but how can any company book her at this point?

Unless of course this is another self own and the NWA isn''t big enough to set off her anxiety. 

14 hours ago, sek69 said:

I just don't know why anyone would sign Kylie Rae at this point. I've fought my own battles with mental issues and I know how hard it is, but how can any company book her at this point?

Unless of course this is another self own and the NWA isn''t big enough to set off her anxiety. 

I agree. I think she is super talented but you are a fool if you make any plans around her or try to depend on her. 

• 2 months later...

Empowerrred was really cool and totally overdelivered. Then again, it was much more of an interpromotional card.

73 was meh.

Speaks volume about the level of traction NWA has when the "big" surprise of the battle royal was.... Murphy. From Gunner & Murphy of TNA fame. Yep. Tyrus, harrasment rumors aside, is absolutely worthless. Chris Adonis, for all the hype about him becoming that really good worker over the years, strikes me as the best and less roided Warlord circa 91 ever. Nick Aldis is doing way to much straight Ric Flair cosplay spots (Nick Aldis runs to the top rope to get thrown off, Nick Aldis gets put into the figure four, Nick Aldis pushes the ref and gets pushed back) and apart from that really isn't a very compelling worker. The main event was quite ok in the end, although it went from said Flair match cosplay to a Sabu-esque spot in quite a confusing moment, but I wasn't very impressed with Trevor Murdoch either (and really, paying hommage to a guy who was rumored to have at least sympathies for the KKK strikes me as pretty tone deaf in 2021, then again his whole family got me "White Lives Matter" vibes, but it's just me being an asshole here :lol:). Best match to me was Mickie James vs  Kylie Ray (damn, if she can get her mental balance, I'd love to see her back in IMPACT, she's got so much talent), and the post-match of Deonna attacking James was exactly what I hoped for. This is your Bound for Glory title match, hopefully. Ric Flair cut a rambling promo putting over Vince, HHH, Shawn & Taker for picking him up when he was down but also talking about pro-wrestling needed a place like this and like AEW for guys to work everywhere (he also mentioned having dinner with Tony Khan soon, so don't be surprised when he shows up in AEW soon) and really it was kinda fun to see Ric "free at last". He also thanked his family for putting up with him being the NWA champ and his current wife (several times), so there's that. In the end, it was a cool moment.

Empowerred like I said was cool as fuck. Some matches looked a bit rough around the edges, but Deonna Purrazzo vs Melina had no right to be as good as it was (really now, Deonna is that good), Kamille vs Leila Hirsch was quite the big vs small match and I thought Leila looked terrific there (the Kamille vs Chelsea Green match the next day was nowhere near as good), Red Velvet & Kylinn King were on fire in the tag tournament and Allysin Kay is also someone I always really enjoy to watch (Marti Belle being just that, although she does work hard). Cool appearance by Madusa. But the killer to me was Awesome Kong saving Gail Kim from Taryn Terell (btw, she looks terrific in her role, she's someone WWE would jump on today, but I guess she's a "been there done that" case, I wouldn't mind seeing more of her in IMPACT, damn) and her croonies, in what seems to be Awesome Kong final farewell to pro-wrestling. Tears were flowing and really these two should get a ton of credit because they were US women pro-wrestling "revolution" back in 2007, Gail especially is a worker that should get way more credit than she does (Kong too, but she really did not had the best career after her first TNA stint, too bad GLOW wasn't renewed because she killed it in that too). That was pretty damn awesome, no pun intended. Debbie Malenko looked rusty as hell, but who will blame her, I hope she gets more booking and we see more of her, her comeback is so cool anyways. All in all, a terrific feel good show that way overdelivered (I really wasn't expecting much from the card on paper) and was another instance of pro-wrestling being so fun in 2021.

Look, I'm not the biggest Nick Aldis fan. And although I defended NWA Powerrr early, I can say that season two, the luster had diminished for me. That being said, I still liked some of the ideas & talent that NWA had.

However, Nick Aldis losing the world title after a 1000+ day reign to Trevor Murdoch of all people was a wet fart. 

5 hours ago, Coffey said:

However, Nick Aldis losing the world title after a 1000+ day reign to Trevor Murdoch of all people was a wet fart. 

They should've sent Eddie Kingston through the Forbidden Door. He's an NWA Powerrr original and now a much bigger star, so it would've been perfect.

• 2 months later...

I love Austin Aries as a performer, but after his complete lunatic posting during the pandemic, I'm surprised he's getting any booking at all. Of course it's not like he's Joey Ryan either but still. Of course, NWA is still employing Tyrus (who is godawful, I have no idea why he's getting work anywhere).

Mick Foley making an appearance follows him showing up in GCW. He has to eventually show up in AEW.

ROH titles being defended on an NWA card speaks less of "Forbidden Door" than "Our company doesn't exist anymore".

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...

Did anyone order the two-night Crockett Cup?

I briefly considered it, but I ended up not bothering.

Without spoiling anything, I'm glad I didn't.

Between employing multiple sex pests and what sounds like an underwhelming main event, NWA seems ice cold right now.