NWA Powerrr

Coffey

• Replies 900
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Another fun week of Power, with things moving at a breakneck pace. They really cram a ton into 50+ minutes. But even with the show moving fast, angle progression is slow and deliberate. A bunch of possible directions have been teased since the debut episode but things are parceled out in a way that leaves future direction uncertain, and that's a good thing. Really like Aldis and Drake. Tim Storm, although not featured today, is a such a fascinating story. Cornette is hilarious. Women's division needs work no doubt. Love this show 

On 10/28/2019 at 12:23 PM, goodhelmet said:

Billy Corgan already went on record as saying the current model is not self sustaining.  Dave Lagana has been doing the media rounds on the company's goals and expectations. When you say it's not self sustaining and pretend to be concerned, you aren't really adding anything that hasn't already been said. 

Dave Lagana did an interview with Meltzer and said that between the numbers they've been getting on YouTube and the money they save taping at a TV station that has production on site, this model isn't as non self sustaining as they originally thought. Basically TV is still the end goal but the current plan of doing a taping cycle leading to a PPV won't be the end of the world if they don't immediately get picked up by someone. 

On 10/28/2019 at 10:47 AM, C.S. said:

Old fucks like us.

Let's not act like YouTube is this impenetrable fortress that's only accessible to people under 30.

Exactly. My father is 75 and has never learned how to work a DVD player or computer. But each week he is watching MLW,NWA Powerrr,CWFH and Reality of Wrestling on youtube. Cause all he has to do is goto channel # something on Dish network and he has access to youtube.  Dish and I bet DirecTV connect to youtube. And most modern TVs have a youtube app. So more and more older folks,hell I am 45,are accessing Youtube. 

Hell the other day I got a call from my dad. He was all excited cause he found Smoky Mountain Wrestling on Youtube.Tempted to get him a Roku Streaming stick for Xmas and hook him up with the FITE app and a few other free apps.

What I really love the most about NWA Powerrr is now a nationwide audience is getting to see how good Tim Storm and Ricky Starks are. Been following both guys since about 2012. Tim cause he worked a lot for NWA Bayou Indie Wrestling,now just Bayou Indie Wrestling. And Ricky was working for Powerslam Productions,former WWE Ref Wes Adams Mid Mississippi based fed,and Wildkat Sports out of NOLA.

First time I saw Ricky I was saying if given a chance he could be huge. Dude just has IT. He has this odd charisma. And some of the best facials in wrestling. 

Tim Storm was great as the older vet that would face anyone.  Him and John Saxon had a great taped fist match in the tiny town I live in for the NWA North American title.

Power this week was good. Probably my second favorite episode behind the debut episode. The women's match was bad though, no defending that one. But Thunder Rosa debuted & Allysin Kay is the champ. so it's whatever. Plus there was a lot of scattered ass if you're into that, because Marti Belle wasn't bringing any workrate. I did like the main event, despite it having both Colt Cabana & Ken Anderson in it, neither of whom I really want to see. I'm on board with Trevor Murdoch getting matches.

Ricky Starks stands out but he reminds me more of Sonny Siaki than The Rock - which is a comparison I've seen others making. No one is The Rock, but the comparison to Sonny Siaki isn't meant as a slight either. During the early years of TNA, when it was still a weekly Wednesday PPV, Siaki was one of the more fun & entertaining guys on the show. Starks kind of reminds me of that. Prior to NWA Power, I had never heard of him. But I think he's got a lot of potential.

1 hour ago, bobholly138 said:

The other day I got a call from my dad. He was all excited cause he found Smoky Mountain Wrestling on Youtube. Tempted to get him a Roku Streaming stick for Xmas and hook him up with the FITE app and a few other free apps.

Please do this! 

1 hour ago, rovert said:

Yeah, Marti Belle is very liked by fellow wrestlers and promoters. Someone who is easily to deal with and not a downer. Has everything going for her except she has two left feet in the ring to a profound degree. 

She could probably be a really kick ass valet. She can take bumps & she's really attractive. Her promo was decent enough. 

The novelty has worn off with me, I'm bored already with a presentation that has zero actual good wrestling matches. Promos only get you so far, especially with workers you don't especially want to actually work a match (Aldis is dull as fuck in the ring to me). Colt Cabana was the best worker in the show. Hey, that's Kobra Moon ! I'm always for watching some Lucha Underground castoff. The Third Serpent needs to show up somewhere now ! Trevor Murdoch should get a lot more time. Jocephus a lot less. Women match was bad but Marti Belle is just that. Eddie Kingston looks totally out of place taking crazy-ass chair bumps in this context (also, Corny = hypcrite), I wish he could get in some bigger promotion to do his magic.

No Kamille nor Tim Storm = worst episode yet. Yeah, not a very good week. Looking forward to see the Rock'n Roll Express. Last time I watch a match of theirs, they were on a Bar Wrestling show (I guess they are more open minded than others).

I really wonder what matches they are gonna build for their PPV. James Storm vs Cabana ? Drake vs Aldis ? Kingston & Homicide v Rock'n Roll (now this I would want to watch). Thunder Rosa vs Alyssin Kay ?

I'd like to see them take another aspect of old school wrestling and do music videos (more of a memphis thing, but other promotions did it as well). With Corgan you've got the entire Smashing Pumpkins catalog to pick songs from, and you could also use indie bands (therefore putting over the wrestlers and giving the bands some exposure).

5 hours ago, El-P said:

The novelty has worn off with me, I'm bored already with a presentation that has zero actual good wrestling matches.

It's 2019. Good matches are a dime a dozen these days. Matches with meaningful stakes involving people the fans care about are far rarer. These NWA shows are all about setting the table, and they're doing a fantastic job of that. I do agree that they have to deliver the goods in the ring at some point, which is why the December 14 PPV is crucial. They'll lose a lot of steam if the matches on it are letdowns.

10 minutes ago, NintendoLogic said:

It's 2019. Good matches are a dime a dozen these days. Matches with meaningful stakes involving people the fans care about are far rarer. These NWA shows are all about setting the table, and they're doing a fantastic job of that. I do agree that they have to deliver the goods in the ring at some point, which is why the December 14 PPV is crucial. They'll lose a lot of steam if the matches on it are letdowns.

I agree the different format is interesting, but after four weeks it already kind of a drag to me because I don't see any really exciting on the horizon as far as actual matches go, apart from maybe Kingston & Homicide vs R'n'R, hopefully. I like Cabana, Drake and James Storm quite enough, but Aldis, as much as he's excellent on the mic, doesn't exactly set my world on fire once the bell rings. Guys like Jocephus, those tag team champs, Dawsons, Anderson are a waste of my time. Aaron Stevens is gonna do comedy, that's ok, he's very good at it, but he doesn't exactly spark my interest.

Plus I have to say, the classic NWA setup feels old already to me, but I've stated my case about the cosplay element before. I will keep watching until the PPV, like I've done with MLW (and it paid off since I enjoyed the last three weeks quite a bit and the PPV line-up is actually interesting), but I need way more than what they did this week.

16 minutes ago, fakeplastictrees said:

Another fun and breezy episode of Powerrr. Marti Belle is terrible. Who thought it was a good idea to have her wrestling on episode 3 and episode 4. The women's division is building to absolutely nothing exciting. I hope Thunder Rosa proves me wrong and brings some excitement there because Vox, Belle, and Kay just aren't doing anything for me.

To me, it's another case of the same thing that is plaguing AEW: they just don't have the roster to do women's wrestling but in this day & age feel like they have to. WWE just had women main event Wrestlemania. So the other companies are all like "well we gotta push the women!" but the talent just doesn't exist because they're all already been signed elsewhere.

Did anybody see the interview Billy Corgan did with Mike Johnson at PWInsider? It's pretty interesting stuff, he admits the reaction to Power has exceeded what even he expected.  He also goes into a bit of detail about what happened with Impact, as well.  From what I understand, the contracted talent he refers to during this interview that got stolen is Willie Mack, when he signed an exclusive contract with Impact he already had signed a contract with Corgan and the NWA.

1 hour ago, The Thread Killer said:

Did anybody see the interview Billy Corgan did with Mike Johnson at PWInsider? It's pretty interesting stuff, he admits the reaction to Power has exceeded what even he expected.  He also goes into a bit of detail about what happened with Impact, as well.  From what I understand, the contracted talent he refers to during this interview that got stolen is Willie Mack, when he signed an exclusive contract with Impact he already had signed a contract with Corgan and the NWA.

I skimmed through that quickly but didn't see anything on the Houston library.

This isn't going to end well...

STATEMENT BY NATIONAL WRESTLING ALLIANCE ON JIM CORNETTE

Over the last few days, a situation was brought to our attention in regard to comments made by Jim Cornette that have been taken as making light on the subject of suicide. 

We’ve addressed the situation internally with Mr. Cornette and made it clear that any comments in regards to this subject, joking or serious, are not endorsed by Lightning One and the National Wrestling Alliance.

Mr. Cornette understands the seriousness of this situation and with that he will remain the color commentator for NWA Powerrr.

Mental Health and Suicide Prevention are very important to the NWA President Billy Corgan and myself.  If you’re ever needing help or need to speak with someone: The National Suicide Prevention Life Line is 1-800-273-8255 or online at https://suicidepreventionlifeline.org

Sincerely,

David Lagana

VP / Lightning One & National Wrestling Alliance.

https://www.nationalwrestlingalliance.com/news/statement-by-national-wrestling-alliance-on-jim-cornette

Jim Cornette is an enormously entertaining commentator and character in general. He's also a relic, embarrassment, and liability - especially for a growing company either looking to monetize on YouTube and/or get picked up by a TV network and/or streaming service. 

I don't anticipate him still being in the NWA six months from now. I just wonder who could possibly step in and fill that spot.