Pro Wrestling Only

NWA Powerrr

Coffey

38 minutes ago, C.S. said:

Jim Cornette is an enormously entertaining commentator and character in general. He's also a relic, embarrassment, and liability - especially for a growing company either looking to monetize on YouTube and/or get picked up by a TV network and/or streaming service.

As I've always been a huge Cornette fan (as a performer, historian, character in general), I'm sad to say I have to agree. His ridiculous stances against anything AEW related has been embarrassing enough (I mean, from a business standpoint, it makes the NWA look terrible and bush league), but that kind of stuff won't fly if he wants to be kept in a position of visibility. I remember him not understanding the topic of depression *at all* years ago on his podcast, making light of it I believe when some famous musician commited suicide (Cornell maybe ? Or it was even before that). Cornette is the perfect announcer for the NWA and he's better then 99% of announcers anyway, but the kind of stuff won't fly.

And in a general fashion, watching Corny "booking" himself into a corner like this with his ridiculous statements is really sad, as I'm willing to bet most of the guy he spits on actually do respect him as a performer a whole lot (Janella, Ryan and the kind are huge pro-wrestling fans, how could they not love Jim Cornette ?). 

As far as replacement, no idea. Corny is just the perfect guy for the role. Mike Tenay would work, but he's out of the game I believe (Damn, I'd love Tenay to show up in AEW just once).

• Replies 900
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I, too, like Jim Cornette but agree that he's not really good for a promotion in 2019 & beyond. He's too much of a liability. Truth be told, he's actually been really grating my nerves lately. I can't read his tweets or listen to his podcasts anymore because everything he says or types just feels fake as fuck. Like, I don't even think for one second that he believes half the shit he's saying anymore. He's just trying to rile people up to stay relevant. It's that old school mentality of trying to get people to keep talking about him. Problem is, shit doesn't work like it did in 1985 anymore. You don't get heat, you burn bridges & get blackballed nowadays. His potshots & mini-rants are tired. It's like a stand-up comedian trying to be shocking by using racial or homophobic slurs.

I'm not a big fan of Joey Ryan, in example, either. So... I just don't watch his stuff. And all the Twitter cops that snitch by tagging James E. every time Ryan farts? You could just add "Joey Ryan" to your muted words list. But Cornette won't do that, because he WANTS the fucking drama. That's the whole point. And it's just, pardon the pun, corny.

On 10/31/2019 at 2:33 PM, The Thread Killer said:

Did anybody see the interview Billy Corgan did with Mike Johnson at PWInsider? It's pretty interesting stuff, he admits the reaction to Power has exceeded what even he expected.  He also goes into a bit of detail about what happened with Impact, as well.  From what I understand, the contracted talent he refers to during this interview that got stolen is Willie Mack, when he signed an exclusive contract with Impact he already had signed a contract with Corgan and the NWA.

Kind of funny to see a pro wrestling site transcribe an interview and leave in "Vince McMann."

On 11/1/2019 at 4:57 PM, sek69 said:

Was this in regards to something from his podcast or his Twitter rants?

This whole "controversy" is manufactured and beyond stupid.

Quite a while ago, somebody posted a YouTube clip of some British independent show and tagged Cornette's Twitter account.  In the clip, the promoter of the show was acting as the ring announcer, and he was dressed in sweat pants and untied shoes...he kind of looked like he had just rolled out of bed.  Cornette made a comment that the guy looked unprofessional and his show looked unprofessional, and back in Cornette's day they never would have let a guy like that into the business, they'd have dragged him outside and hung him from a tree, blah blah blah.  Typical Cornette hyperbole. The promoter in question saw this tweet by Cornette, and was apparently horrified and terribly offended.

Fast forward to now...

Jim Cornette and Brian Last agreed that for the month of October, they would review the "Wednesday Night War."  They decided to watch both AEW and NXT every Wednesday night, and then review both shows on the following Friday on the Jim Cornette experience.  For the first two weeks, Cornette actually preferred AEW and was quite complimentary toward the show.  When week three rolled around, things changed pretty drastically - big surprise.  As soon as Marko Stunt put in his first appearance, Cornette started to go off the rails and said all of the things you would imagine he would say. Since then, he has been eviscerating AEW for all the reasons you can imagine, Joey Janella, Kenny Omega, The Young Bucks, etc.  All of his usual favorite targets.

The problem is, something he said (I'm not sure what) offended an AEW fangirl on Twitter.  She decided to make it her mission to get Cornette "cancelled" pretty much the way Joey Ryan did after the whole Sonny Kiss "transvestite" debacle. (Which of course blew up in Ryan's face when people turned around and did the same thing to him.  What's that saying about people in glass houses?) Anyhow...the AEW fangirl started going through all of Cornette's old tweets, finding any that she found offensive  and then tagging the NWA and Billy Corgan...trying to get Cornette fired.  When she re-tweeted the aforementioned comment by Cornette about the British Independent promoter and made some comment like "how could the NWA employ somebody who encourages suicide?"  Cornette replied that he hadn't suggested the guy commit suicide, he had suggested the guy be hanged with help. So of course, AEW fangirl tagged Corgan, Lagana and the NWA in that tweet as well.  Cornette also directly stole some of Andy Kaufman's most famous lines from his run in Memphis when he was going back and forth with her on Twitter, much to the horror of all those watching.

Dave Lagana and the NWA issued some statement saying that they had spoken to Cornette about the tweet in question and that the NWA believes in mental health awareness and suicide prevention, etc.  They also stated that they will not be firing Jim Cornette.  The last I saw, AEW fangirl is still desperately trying to get Cornette "cancelled."  Cornette is well aware of this girl's mission to get him fired from the NWA and he appears to be unconcerned about it.  He was joking about it on his show yesterday.

I always end up being the de facto Jim Cornette defender here at PWO, which amuses me because I myself don't agree with about half of the stuff that he says, and I'm usually suspicious about his motives regarding the other half.  I just despise this whole "cancel culture" that has been happening on social media, where people seem to have become incapable of disagreeing with somebody's opinion, or ignoring them if they don't like them.  I am not sure why the AEW fangirl listens to what Jim Cornette says about AEW when it's a foregone conclusion that he's going to hate about 80% of it.  I can't stand Bill Maher, I think he's an arrogant, ill informed, hypocritical, self-righteous, biased jerk.  I found the best way to deal with that is by...NOT WATCHING REAL TIME WITH BILL MAHER.  I don't go combing through every single offensive thing he's ever said and tweet it to his sponsors and network, especially after the fact.

This past week I saw a great clip from a talk Barack Obama was giving recently, about "cancel culture." The clip is less than two minutes long, but the President pretty much hits the topic right on the head...

So anyhow, the point is...I don't think Jim Cornette deserves to be "cancelled."

He doesn't deserve to be "cancelled" but he needs to learn that there's things that don't fly in 2019 and doing a misogynist gimmick on Twitter (even against someone he feels has ulterior motives) is not going to look good to his employers. 

Also it's pretty funny that woman was snitch tagging the NWA and Billy on all of Cornette's potentially problematic tweets when his own fanboys snitch tag him on anyone's tweet that mentions any topic that would get him riled up.

I love the NWA, and I love Cornette as a character and commentator, but Billy and Lagana really should've thought twice before jumping into bed with such an unstable person. 

Luckily for them, he'll eventually be replaced without much blowback from anyone (except maybe him). 

19 minutes ago, sek69 said:

He doesn't deserve to be "cancelled" but he needs to learn that there's things that don't fly in 2019 and doing a misogynist gimmick on Twitter (even against someone he feels has ulterior motives) is not going to look good to his employers. 

Also it's pretty funny that woman was snitch tagging the NWA and Billy on all of Cornette's potentially problematic tweets when his own fanboys snitch tag him on anyone's tweet that mentions any topic that would get him riled up.

One thing I've learned about Cornette after listening to him for the past year or so is that he really doesn't give a fuck.  This is a guy who everybody claimed was "trying to stay relevant" while at the same he argued to anybody who would listen that he doesn't want to be relevant in modern Pro Wrestling, because he hates it. He has his Cornette's Collectibles business and he has his podcasts and that's where he makes his money.  As of right now he is claiming that he is making one more personal appearance in 2019, a meet-and-greet with the fans at the NWA Pay Per View, and then after that he is not going to any conventions or taking any other work for at least six months...unless the event is in Louisville or within a day's drive from his house.  He won't fly anymore and he won't leave his house overnight.  People were trying so hard to get him fired from MLW and he was the one who quit working there because he didn't want to go back to New York or do the Texas tour.  Even if these people who are trying to cause him trouble succeeded, I honestly don't think he'd care.  He seems to like working for the NWA and he definitely likes the concept of the product...but one of the main reasons he does it is because they do all their tapings at once.  He claims that he is in higher demand and is making more money now than he ever did during his career, and I believe it.  Hell, the guy is now selling the infamous "Fuck Jim Cornette" T-Shirt that caused so much controversy over the past couple of months...on his own website!  He's laughing all the way to the bank.

You're right...Cornette's fans the "Cult of Cornette" are just as bad as those trying to get Cornette cancelled, if not worse.  They deliberately try and set him off by sending him clips of stuff they know he'll hate or snitch tagging him...but Cornette's response is all a gimmick, really.  He has found a niche as the voice of the disenfranchised old school wrestling fans who hate the modern product.  His popularity is proof of that, since his fan base is clearly huge.  Those people listen to him every week to hear him rip of AEW and modern wrestling in general, so he's going to keep doing it and keep cashing those checks. Meanwhile guys like Janella are going to keep antagonizing him and pointing out how "irrelevant" and out of touch Cornette is. I think Cornette actually believes a lot of the shit he says, but I also think he says it because it's his gimmick and it's made him more popular than ever.  I don't see him stopping at this point.

58 minutes ago, The Thread Killer said:

I just despite this whole "cancel culture" that has been happening on social media, where people seem to have become incapable of disagreeing with somebody's opinion, or ignoring them if they don't like them. 

I totally agree with this. This is unbearable. And I totally agree with Obama too, a thousand percent, great clip.

That being said, forget the bullshit controversy, Corny is just doing himself no favors by the way he's acting on social media in the way it reflects his employers. MLW looked bad. Then now NWA looks bad.

As far as Corny not giving a fuck, I don't know. He also seems to me like this guy is just eaten up from the inside with anger and negativity and is doing himself no favor as far as quality of life goes. Then again, maybe it's all a gimmick. And the fact the whole Sami Callihan bashing *was* a work, well, maybe it all is after all.

And this is where Corny lost me, after years and years of defending him when really it wasn't in fashion, which it seems to be now, maybe not on this board, but he has a whole lot more "followers" (gotta love that word BTW, think about it) than say ten years ago. Corny lost me because for the first time, he came off to me like an old carny making white noise to try and stay relevant in some fashion. Like say, Vince Russo at one point. And today, I find the whole Cornette thingy to be sad, because either he's got irrational anger, either he's just a con man.

Meanwhile, Schiavone is a delight to listen to with his love of what is happening now in pro-wrestling, Ricky Morton has no issue whatsoever working for Joey Ryan or AEW, Sami Callihan and Tessa Blanchard are doing some of the coolest thing ever together. And Corny is making white noise as a hateful old man, only to make money from his podcast. In a better world, Corny would show up in AEW and exchange promos with Cody and Janella and it would be great for pro-wrestling. As it is, what became of Jim Cornette is just sad to witness for someone who's been a huge fan of him for ever.

23 minutes ago, El-P said:

In a better world, Corny would show up in AEW and exchange promos with Cody and Janella and it would be great for pro-wrestling.

Funny thing is what should have exposed him to the world was when the Young Bucks put him on blast for sliding in their DMs offering to work a program with them after bashing them saying it's the only program people would believe. It's why I believe he does it to try to stay relevant. He may actually believe the shit he says, but he would put that aside to work with them in a heartbeat.  

Finally watched Powerrr... Definitely the best show since the pilot.

I guess I'm the only one who thought the women looked decent this week? 

I think Marti Belle can be a star, even if she never becomes a "great rassler'." The jury is still out on Allysin Kay (whose indie barfly look isn't exactly appealing) and Ashley Vox. I have no idea how Thunder Rosa is in the ring, but I like her look.

Colt Cabana was much more bearable this week without his putrid "comedy" shtick, but Mr. Anderson still feels like one WWE/TNA castoff too many. Trevor Murdoch, on the other hand, is exactly the kind of wrestler the NWA should be going after.

Aron Stevens losing to Ricky Sparks was surprising. Sparks is definitely a work-in-progress IMO, but there's something there. Cornette did a great job on commentary talking about how Stevens wants to take shortcuts and not put in the work. In plain text, that sounds like a burial, but it wasn't at all.

I have no idea WTF is going on with Jocephus. Before Powerrr, he seemed like one of the pillars of the NWA. Now? Who the fuck knows. His baby powder gimmick is the shits. He mentioned talking to his Spiritual Advisor, so I guess she won't be the one getting him back on the right track if this is her advice so far.

I'm glad the main event set up James Storm vs. Colt Cabana instead of Nick Aldis vs. James Storm. While I can take or leave Storm vs. Cabana, I have very little interest in Aldis vs. Storm. I'm not sure who Aldis will end up facing at the PPV though. I'm fine as long as it's ABA - Anyone But Anderson.

19 hours ago, sek69 said:

Funny thing is what should have exposed him to the world was when the Young Bucks put him on blast for sliding in their DMs offering to work a program with them after bashing them saying it's the only program people would believe. It's why I believe he does it to try to stay relevant. He may actually believe the shit he says, but he would put that aside to work with them in a heartbeat.  

I have heard this talking point about Cornette several times here at PWO and it is not entirely without merit...the whole Sami Callihan/Cornette "feud" proves that.  Cornette is definitely not beyond "working" with somebody with whom he has public heat. However in fairness, Cornette's version of that story (that the Bucks love to tell) significantly varies from their version.  Let's not forget here that The Young Bucks are notoriously thin-skinned and spiteful. The Bucks hated Cornette just as much as he hated them, because Cornette was basically responsible for ROH letting them go in 2009. They had every reason to go around spreading a story that questioned his credibility and made him look bad.  The same can be said for the seeds of the animosity between Kenny Omega and Cornette.  Long before Cornette ranted about Omega's work in Japan or started calling him "Sir Kenny Olivier" the two had problems with each other based on their time in ROH.

There are also plenty of stories where Cornette had chances to work with people he hated, that he turned down.  He claims he was offered a lucrative chance to appear at the original Starrcast which he wouldn't do, because of the association with Kenny and The Young Bucks.  He has claimed that he was approached by a third party and an overture was made where he could have possibly appeared at All In. (I suspect the third party in question was Conrad Thompson.)  And it's a fact that Jim Cornette met with Tony Khan while Khan was coming up with his business plan to start what would become AEW.  Khan had a brain storming session with Cornette, but once Khan made it clear who would be on the roster and what kind of Pro Wrestling AEW would be presenting, Cornette declined to be involved.  There have been times where Cornette appeared on the same independent shows that Joey Ryan was on.  Cornette admitted that he was respectful backstage, and shook Ryan's hand...but he also told Ryan and the promoter that if the infamous "dick spot" took place, he would walk out of the building.

So many people have said "Cornette loves to talk shit about The Elite, but he'd drop everything to work with them in AEW."  Aside from the fact that he probably wouldn't do that because he'd have to travel to do it, he'd also be cutting his own throat.  He has said the main reason he wouldn't appear at Starrcast is because it would make him look like a hypocrite to his own fans.  Cornette might make a big one time windfall by working with The Young Bucks, but it would kill his credibility with his own rabid fanbase, the "Cult of Cornette" and affect his potential earning power long term.  I don't think Cornette would drop everything for a chance to make a bit of money working with people he doesn't like, when he makes plenty of money at home by not liking them.

When it comes to the truth of what is real and what is a "work" with Jim Cornette, as with everything else, I assume the truth lies somewhere in the middle.

10 hours ago, C.S. said:

Finally watched Powerrr... Definitely the best show since the pilot.

I guess I'm the only one who thought the women looked decent this week? 

I think Marti Belle can be a star, even if she never becomes a "great rassler'." The jury is still out on Allysin Kay (whose indie barfly look isn't exactly appealing) and Ashley Vox. I have no idea how Thunder Rosa is in the ring, but I like her look.

Colt Cabana was much more bearable this week without his putrid "comedy" shtick, but Mr. Anderson still feels like one WWE/TNA castoff too many. Trevor Murdoch, on the other hand, is exactly the kind of wrestler the NWA should be going after.

Aron Stevens losing to Ricky Sparks was surprising. Sparks is definitely a work-in-progress IMO, but there's something there. Cornette did a great job on commentary talking about how Stevens wants to take shortcuts and not put in the work. In plain text, that sounds like a burial, but it wasn't at all.

I have no idea WTF is going on with Jocephus. Before Powerrr, he seemed like one of the pillars of the NWA. Now? Who the fuck knows. His baby powder gimmick is the shits. He mentioned talking to his Spiritual Advisor, so I guess she won't be the one getting him back on the right track if this is her advice so far.

I'm glad the main event set up James Storm vs. Colt Cabana instead of Nick Aldis vs. James Storm. While I can take or leave Storm vs. Cabana, I have very little interest in Aldis vs. Storm. I'm not sure who Aldis will end up facing at the PPV though. I'm fine as long as it's ABA - Anyone But Anderson.

I agree with you, @C.S. I also thought this was the second best show they have put on so far.  I also agree that the women looked better this week, it's just that after WWE/NXT all other Women's Divisions end up looking so second-rate.  I also strongly agree with your opinion on Trevor Murdoch.  He was basically tailor-made for this show, and the show for him.  He was a great signing for the NWA.  As far as the Sparks/Stevens match, I LOVED the whole angle where Stevens big concern was avoiding getting punched in the face (because of his burgeoning movie career, I can only assume.)  The spot where he screamed in terror and covered up his face, only to be rolled up made me laugh my butt off, and was done perfectly.  This was also an example of something that worked extra well in the studio wrestling setting. Just like Murdoch, Stevens is a case of talent being used in exactly the way they should be used.  Corgan publicly said recently that he loves the Paul Heyman booking philosophy of playing to the strength of a talent and hiding their weaknesses.  I think Murdoch and Stevens are two great examples of that.  Here are two guys who were basically semi-retired and not getting any interest from WWE, AEW or anybody else, I guess.  The NWA picked them up and are using them perfectly.  It gives me hope for the ability of this promotion to build and sustain a viable roster.

I also echo your sentiments regarding Jocephus, who I had never seen before and I currently regard as Zack Galifinakis in wrestling tights...and that is not a compliment.  I also could take or leave Cabana and Anderson, preferably leave.  But I guess the NWA does desperately need guys with name recognition right now.  In the long term though, I hope to see more of guys like Ricky Starks and Caleb Konley and less of guys like Cabana and Anderson...unless they are being used to help build and put over the younger guys, in which case they could be quite useful. 

One area where I seem to disagree with pretty much everybody here is regarding Nick Aldis.  I think this guy is great, and he is pretty much perfect in his role as the NWA Champion.  Out of the ring, he carries himself exactly as you would expect an old school style NWA Champion to act.  In the ring, he isn't exactly Daniel Bryan, but he think he's perfectly capable.  Then again, I loved him as Magnus when he was champion in TNA, and his team with Samoa Joe.  Plus, the guy is married to Mickie James.  Face it, he's pretty much winning at life right now.

Cornette can talk all the shit he wants about cancel culture, but I think the real reason he doesn't like it is because instead of dumb fans hoping Corny would die and spending money on matches where he might get hurt, they are hitting him where it might actually hurt, if they succeed. The fact that he cannot work the dumb marks into paying him pisses him off. 

And please, if Joey Ryan, Kenny Omega, the Young Bucks or any of the various wrestlers he hates get cancelled by AEW or the fans, then he will have absolutely zero issues and will even praise it. People often complaining about political correctness and "wokeness" do not have a shred of self-awareness, because they get just as offended and react in the same way, just to absolutely different thing. And I actually agree with a lot of Corny's political views, but him acting like he does not give a shit and everyone hating him is just a dumb mark is particularly hilarious, because not only does he get offended and pissed, he does that so much it's become part of his appeal. He also went off on Dave Meltzer on his podcast for a pretty mild, anodyne discussion about AEW's business on Twitter. 

That said though - and I am someone who suffers from severe depression and mental health issues and who has tried the suicide option multiple times, so I do get how bad depression and mental health can be - I don't think he should not be fired for those tweets. It's clear there was no *malice* in his tweets. However, again, he would have absolutely lost his shit and ranted about it for 15 minutes had someone said something like this about a wrestler he hates. It's why his "HAHA I don't care you idiots lol" shtick seems so transparently false to me. 

8 minutes ago, MoS said:

And please, if Joey Ryan, Kenny Omega, the Young Bucks or any of the various wrestlers he hates get cancelled by AEW or the fans, then he will have absolutely zero issues and will even praise it. People often complaining about political correctness and "wokeness" do not have a shred of self-awareness, because they get just as offended and react in the same way, just to absolutely different thing.

I also totally agree with this. Usually the guys crying about censorships are the guys whose opinions are actually making the most noise too.

8 minutes ago, MoS said:

He also went off on Dave Meltzer on his podcast for a pretty mild, anodyne discussion about AEW's business on Twitter. 

That's pretty sad, considering the two have been on a friendly rapport for decades. The guy is simply gonna end up isolated in his bubble of own little cult group of bitter, negative, hateful fanboys, instead of being a respected and loved (as he should) part of the pro-wrestling landscape. The fact he's boo booing an event like Starrcast for these reasons is pretty sad, as it seems like everybody have tons of fun there, and it's a gathering of real pro-wrestling lovers of all eras. Yeah, SAD is the only thing that comes to mind when I think of Corny in 2019.

2 hours ago, El-P said:

Yeah, SAD is the only thing that comes to mind when I think of Corny in 2019.

I don't know if there's anything in my life that has brought me more joy than professional wrestling. Other than video games, it's the only other constant that has been consistent in my life. Many of my real life friends that I still have, I met because of professional wrestling. On a daily basis, still at 38-years-old, I read about, write about & talk about wrestling. Literally every single day of my life. 

When I think of wrestling, it brings me a lot of good, positive memories. Events from my childhood, going to certain shows, seeing certain wrestlers, watching Pay-Per-Views with friends, hell even playing wrestling video games or reading magazines. I can be negative about wrestling when I'm talking about it, especially modern WWE when I don't agree with booking decisions or whatever, but I love wrestling. It's a big part of who I am as a man, which despite never being anything more than a fan, I'm OK with. I never pursued it further and maybe I should have but that's a moot point. Even in high school, half my life ago, I wore a wrestling shirt pretty much every single day of the week. It's one of my biggest hobbies & something that I enjoy that I also share with others. Just yesterday, my brother was visiting with his children & I got to sit down with my nephew & show him André the Giant for the first time. Seeing his reaction to how big he was, that's a moment that you'll remember forever. It reminded me of when I was a child & pro-wrestling first captivated me. My girlfriend even watches shows with me - she's a big fan of Asuka - and she encourages me to talk more about it & try to teach her things about it so that we can enjoy it together. And I love that.

So when I see someone like Jim Cornette, that has literally dedicated his entire life to the industry, has been in the industry for longer than I have been alive, being so bitter... it just fills me with sadness. He's such a great talker, manager, collector, historian... and all it seems like he is doing is alienating people & burning bridges. It's just sad to watch. He's always been a hothead & a highly opinionated person, and it's has cost him jobs in the past, but now being able to see it daily because of social media has just worsened it all. Instead of being a respected legend in the business, half the people that know him think he's shoot crazy. It's just pathetic but he brought it all on himself.

10 minutes ago, Coffey said:

So when I see someone like Jim Cornette, that has literally dedicated his entire life to the industry, has been in the industry for longer than I have been alive, being so bitter... it just fills me with sadness. He's such a great talker, manager, collector, historian... and all it seems like he is doing is alienating people & burning bridges. It's just sad to watch.

That's exactly where I'm at. I've listened to countless hours of Cornette during the shoot interview craze, all the stuff he did with Highspots, KC, his early podcast days. I was always a Cornette Head. And I've reached the point where he successfully has alienated me in the end.

10 minutes ago, Coffey said:

It's just pathetic but he brought it all on himself.

Agreed. It's too bad, he could actually have so much fun in the current landscape, where the new generation of workers seem to be bigger pro-wrestling geeks (and in effect, just like he is), than ever before. He would get crazy love at Starrcast if he only let his guard down and be more open minded.

Great post BTW.

On 10/30/2019 at 9:24 AM, JRH said:

I'd like to see them take another aspect of old school wrestling and do music videos (more of a memphis thing, but other promotions did it as well). With Corgan you've got the entire Smashing Pumpkins catalog to pick songs from, and you could also use indie bands (therefore putting over the wrestlers and giving the bands some exposure).

Agreed 100% with this. A lot of this does remind me of Memphis studio wrestling and not just old school NWA. Especially with Austin Idol and Tony Falk. I do wish sometimes they used at least some entrance music, but music videos for sure were always an excellent way of getting guys over. As you mention with Corgan which is something he utilized while with Impact where they were using Hole, Marilyn Manson, Smashing Pumpkins, etc. for theme music.

On 11/3/2019 at 11:39 AM, The Thread Killer said:

One area where I seem to disagree with pretty much everybody here is regarding Nick Aldis.  I think this guy is great, and he is pretty much perfect in his role as the NWA Champion.  Out of the ring, he carries himself exactly as you would expect an old school style NWA Champion to act.  In the ring, he isn't exactly Daniel Bryan, but he think he's perfectly capable.  Then again, I loved him as Magnus when he was champion in TNA, and his team with Samoa Joe.  Plus, the guy is married to Mickie James.  Face it, he's pretty much winning at life right now.

I'm with you on Aldis. Easily the classiest and most credible champion in all of wrestling right now. I also think he's fine in the ring. His match with Tim Storm on the premiere episode was one of my favorite matches this year. Not every match needs to be an overlong "epic."

3 hours ago, C.S. said:

I'm with you on Aldis. Easily the classiest and most credible champion in all of wrestling right now. I also think he's fine in the ring. His match with Tim Storm on the premiere episode was one of my favorite matches this year. Not every match needs to be an overlong "epic."

3 hours ago, SirEdger said:

That match told a really nice old school story. Storm was ready to do anything to win that title in his last chance, despite being a white meat babyface at his core.

I am glad to see that I am not alone in my opinion.  To me, Nick Aldis vs. Tim Storm represents the kid of Pro Wrestling I actually want to see. I've seen some fans online praise the overall aesthetic and concept behind Power, but claim the actual in ring action isn't any good.  To a degree that might be true, but during this first month there have also been glimpses of perfectly acceptable Professional Wrestling.  Thanks to Bruce Prichard, the phrase "telling a story" has now become kind of synonymous as an excuse for bad WWE creative.  But I think (and hope) that the NWA is going to present a slower paced, psychology based style of Pro Wrestling which actually does tell a story, and incorporates the story being told outside the ring as well. I agree with you guys, I thought the Main Event of that first show was a really good old school style match.

I have watched every episode of AEW Dynamite that has aired so far, and have come to the conclusion that style of Pro Wrestling is just not for me.  It's not to my taste.  There is no question that the action in AEW is much faster paced, but I am finding that I end up almost feeling shell shocked after watching an AEW show. To me, it is starting to feel like spot after spot after spot. Multiple dives and false finishes.  And I am finding that especially the style of Tag Team wrestling in AEW is just not grabbing me.  No tagging in and out, no cutting the ring off, no face-in-peril, no hot tags.  Just non-stop action, all the time.  I much prefer the old school "Southern Style" Tag Team matches. Like I said, the action in AEW is unquestionably superior, but in the long run I am not sure that is beneficial to Professional Wrestling or the athletes themselves.  These guys are killing themselves to get reactions and the more you do, the more you're going to have to do. I find the art of psychology is getting lost in "modern" Pro Wrestling.  I am a firm believer that when it comes to good Pro Wrestling, less is more.

I think it's great that AEW is presenting a fresh, new alternative product...especially against WWE.  I don't begrudge AEW for presenting that product, or AEW fans for liking it.  As Jim Cornette always says: "For those people who like this sort of thing, this is exactly the sort of thing those people will like." That's why I don't post in the AEW Dynamite threads here at PWO complaining or criticizing.  I understand that modern wrestling is not for everybody and I'm not going to complain that other people like it.  To each their own. But like I said, I have found after the first month that it is not for me.

Based on what I have seen from NWA Power so far, I am very hopeful that this company is intent on presenting an alternative product which appeals to old school fans like myself who just don't enjoy the modern product.  I am really hoping the December PPV shapes up the way I want it to. I have no issue with a slower, more psychology based product. I think the PPV will go a long way in showing how the NWA is going to do building to a big show and if they can then deliver on the build.  Most importantly, they need to deliver when it finally comes time.  I hope they can do it, I really do.