Pro Wrestling Only

NWA Powerrr

Coffey

Any thoughts on this week's show? I thought it was another good ep with more subtle angle advancement regarding Tim Storm and Kamille. There is a lot of uncertainty with Storm (is he going to snap and go heel, or is this a slow redemption story with him eventually regaining the NWA title?) and Kamille continues to be a wonderful mystery (why did she interfere during the James Storm vs Cabana match?). The RnR's finally debuted this week. And there was an interesting angle involving the women. Again, the show moves fast but the overall story moves slow. Maybe my favorite wrestling program right now 

• Replies 900
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Thunder Rosa looked good stiffing the fuck out of jobbergirl. That was the highlight of the show. Cornette saying they put "her picture in prison to cure sex-offenders" shows how far-off he's gone, we're in 2019 Corny (ditto "pearl-harbouring" people). I dunno, the heel turn afterward from Belle seemed kinda stupid since we don't have established one bit of a relationship between her and the champ anyway. Kinda cool to see the ex-Kobra Moon reappear somewhere though.

Not sure were this is going, but this is going slow. Aldis vs Drake I would guess. Or Tim Storm vs Drake and Aldis vs whoever (hopefully not Anderson).

Aron Stevens is basically the Genius. I dunno, he's not that funny either to me and he takes a whole lot more time of the show that say, The Librarians on any AEW broadcast. I mean, give Trevor Murdoch some TV time...

Storm vs Cabana was a decent little match, old Cowboy still looks like a decent worker. I would not blame anyone for finding that Cabana's stuff looks out of place. Corny trying to put him over is never gonna get old though.

I give them credit for going all the was with the Retro thing with that video game commercial.

Only Corny is embarrassing (well, he's actually working, we know that, but it's a sad case of working like I said before). The Rock'n'Roll Express worked for Bar Wrestling aka Joey Ryan. Ken Shamrock, a bad mofo if there's one, doesn't mind bumping for the dick flip. Yesterday on AEW Dark, Tully Blanchard didn't mind taking a bump for Micheal Nakagawa's baby oil gag. You know, nevermind the holier than thou pro-wrestlin' fans crowd, if guys like Ricky Morton, Ken Shamrock and Tully Blanchard think there's no issue with Joey Ryan's promotion and some of the most out there comedy today, well, that's enough for me. (not that I need anyone telling me what's acceptable of not, I don't give a flying fuck, but the fact guys like them get it is just refreshing)

I don't get what his endgame is. I suppose the podcast market is more profitable than I think it is since no one's spending money on a show just because Jim Cornette is on it. The Joeys' (Ryan and Janela) aren't my cup of tea but if they can make it work there's clearly a market for what they have to offer.  

Pretty much any time I see Corny complaining these days this is what enters my mind:

AdamEllisComic.png

Also this was announced today

https://www.retromaniawrestling.com/latest-news/national-wrestling-alliance-and-nwa-champion-nick-aldis-coming-to-retromania-wrestling

Getting the NWA studio ring/set in a video game that wasn't someone's creation has been something I've always wanted but never thought I'd ever get. 

2019 is wild.

We really need to get a mod to split off the Jim Cornette stuff from this thread.  Maybe we can have a "Jim Cornette is a vile, hateful human being" thread or something, so when people want to complain about him, they can do it there. This thread is turning into the Jim Cornette thread, not the NWA Power thread.

On 11/6/2019 at 1:29 PM, Ricky Jackson said:

Any thoughts on this week's show? I thought it was another good ep with more subtle angle advancement regarding Tim Storm and Kamille. There is a lot of uncertainty with Storm (is he going to snap and go heel, or is this a slow redemption story with him eventually regaining the NWA title?) and Kamille continues to be a wonderful mystery (why did she interfere during the James Storm vs Cabana match?). The RnR's finally debuted this week. And there was an interesting angle involving the women. Again, the show moves fast but the overall story moves slow. Maybe my favorite wrestling program right now 

I really liked this week's episode, in fact it might have been my favorite so far.

- The Cabana promo to start the show was okay.  I've said it before in this thread, I just don't like Colt Cabana.  I never have.  I always get the feeling that he doesn't take anything about Pro Wrestling seriously, everything is a big joke to him.  Maybe that's unfair, but that's the way he comes across to me.  I will say that so far in the NWA, he's been used about as well as you can use a guy like him, in my opinion.

- The Dawson's squash was fine.  They seem committed to pushing The Dawsons as one of their top heel teams (along with Wildcard obviously) so they need to do stuff like this match to keep them looking strong. Kingston and Homicide are awesome, they probably deserve better than The Dawsons as rivals.

- I liked the Tim Storm interview and I'll be damned if I can figure out where the hell this angle is going.  By all rights, Aldis should be dismissive of Storm and wanting to keep him in his rear view mirror, but for some reason he is coming across as an advocate for Storm.  I assume that Aldis is trying to manipulate Storm, but I can't guess to what end.  Meanwhile on the opposite end, it seems like Eli Drake is doing the exact same thing. The announcers alluded to it this week, that Drake is basically sticking his nose where it doesn't belong and trying to manipulate the whole situation with Tim Storm for his own purpose.  I am very curious as to where this story is going, and they need to hurry up and announce who is going to be challenging for the World's Heavyweight Championship at Into The Fire.

- Rosa vs. Vox was definitely the best Women's match on Power so far, but that's not exactly a high hurdle to clear.  Rosa looked great and I can see why they are making her a focus with all the vignettes and everything.  The post match angle was what it was, it didn't exactly set the world on fire but it advanced stories well as it was intended to.

- Ricky Starks has been pretty much made by this angle with Aron Stevens, so mission accomplished there.  Part of me wants to see Stevens get some of his heat back, but his whole gimmick is so over that it really doesn't matter.  I didn't expect the two straight falls, so that was a surprise.

- Cabana vs. Storm was a really good match, probably second only in quality to the World Title match from the debut episode. I hadn't heard the spoiler that Cabana won the National Title so that was a bit of a surprise.  All the wacky hijinks on the outside with Kamille, Anderson and Drake were done pretty well, although the camera guy screwed it up a bit and didn't really focus on the finish of the match. I have no idea what Kamille was doing out there, and how/if that plays into the angle with Storm, Aldis and Drake.  Intriguing.

- The closing match/angle with The Dawsons against Kingston and Homicide was good.  I actually enjoyed this match more than the first time they fought a couple of weeks ago.  The crowd went nuts for the Rock and Roll Express, so that was nice.  We all know where that is heading, but I didn't hate this as much as I thought I would.  Putting the RnR Express into the Tag Team Title scene at their age is pretty ridiculous, but whatever.  We'll see how it plays.

Like I said, I really don't have anything negative to say about this episode.  As per usual, this hour just flew by. Power is now the highlight of my week as a Pro Wrestling fan, and I am legit curious to see where they're going with some of these angles heading into the PPV, which I can't wait for.

My issue with Aldis isn't his lack of workrate. It's the fact that he's the world champion when he's clearly nowhere near the best wrestler in the world even in kayfabe. Like I said earlier, the cocky heel champion who keeps retaining his championship by the skin of his teeth is as much of an anachronism as the heel authority figure. It's an archetype that doesn't make much sense outside of a handful of contexts that are pretty far removed from modern wrestling.

7 hours ago, NintendoLogic said:

My issue with Aldis isn't his lack of workrate. It's the fact that he's the world champion when he's clearly nowhere near the best wrestler in the world even in kayfabe. Like I said earlier, the cocky heel champion who keeps retaining his championship by the skin of his teeth is as much of an anachronism as the heel authority figure. It's an archetype that doesn't make much sense outside of a handful of contexts that are pretty far removed from modern wrestling.

Agreed. That's why I called it cosplay. They are re-enacting a process of work that existed and worked in a context that doesn't exist anymore. Nick Aldis is the world champion in the void.  He's not the great worker you send from territory to territory to make the regional star look good. He pretends he is, while there's no territory. Tim Storm is not on the list with Ric Flair, Lou Thesz, Terry Funk and Dusty Rhodes, he's on the list with Colt Cabana, Jax Dane and Joseph Samael. IMPACT can say that Ken Shamrock was their first champ, or that Brian Cage is up there with Kurt Angle and AJ Styles, because it's true in their own context. The only context of NWA Powerr is a re-enactment shell, which is why it comes off faker that any other pro-wrestling product to me. Yeah, the promos are very good, but I don't buy Nick Aldis as this great world champion, because he just isn't, in any way shape or form. So there's a feel of "let's pretend" that I don't get from any other promotion, because of the context they are acting into. In a way, I'd enjoy the product way more if that went as absurdly into Retro as they do in their commercials.

@The Thread Killer and I are on the same page about this week's show, so I won't bother posting a segment by segment rundown of my thoughts - just read what he wrote because his opinions mostly echo mine.

Tim Storm can do no wrong in my eyes right now.

Colt Cabana does nothing for me, and I was very disappointed to see him win the National Championship after a pretty weak and heatless match with James Storm that felt like it was in slow motion much of the time. "Boom Boom" also has to be the world's worst nickname ever. It sounds like Cabana is taking a shit. Cornette deserves an Emmy for putting aside his real feelings and remaining professional while commentating Cabana's matches. 

Thunder Rosa is easily the top woman in the NWA by a mile. With that said, I think the show has done a great job establishing the bond between Allysin Kay and Marti Belle very quickly, so I had no problem with the "turn."

Aron Stevens' losing streak is unexpected, but it doesn't matter because he has more heat than anyone else in the NWA. With that said, did anyone else notice Jim Cornette putting out the conspiracy theory that Shakespeare didn't write his own plays? :rolleyes: Hey, Jim, do us all a favor and stick to rasslin' and your mama's cornbread casserole, because you're woefully out of your depth when trying to tackle anything even remotely intellectual. 

Only in wrestling would Eddie Kingston/Homicide have any common ground with The Rock 'N Roll Express. :) I'd love to be there for their conversations at the hotel bar.

@El-P, I love ya, man, but your use of the word "cosplay" and trite criticisms of Nick Aldis make me roll my eyes in the back of my head so hard. Aldis has been a fantastic champion and representative for the NWA, and his match with Tim Storm on the first episode of Powerrr was as good as anything else in wrestling this year. (Edit: Part of this was also a response to @NintendoLogic's post too.)

1 hour ago, C.S. said:

@El-P, I love ya, man, but your use of the word "cosplay" and trite criticisms of Nick Aldis make me roll my eyes in the back of my head so hard. Aldis has been a fantastic champion and representative for the NWA, and his match with Tim Storm on the first episode of Powerrr was as good as anything else in wrestling this year. (Edit: Part of this was also a response to @NintendoLogic's post too.)

Come on. Aldis vs Tim Storm was like an OK to good TV match. Aldis is the champion of a Youtube cosplay show. He's great at it too, no argument from me about that part.

1 hour ago, C.S. said:

With that said, did anyone else notice Jim Cornette putting out the conspiracy theory that Shakespeare didn't write his own plays? :rolleyes: Hey, Jim, do us all a favor and stick to rasslin' and your mama's cornbread casserole, because you're woefully out of your depth when trying to tackle anything even remotely intellectual. 

Oh damn, I know, that was so stupid ! 

4 hours ago, El-P said:

Come on. Aldis vs Tim Storm was like an OK to good TV match. Aldis is the champion of a Youtube cosplay show. He's great at it too, no argument from me about that part.

I get that you probably like those Seth Rollins "epics" where he BURNS. IT. DOWN. ;) But seriously, there's something to be said for a tightly constructed TV match that tells a great story (multiple stories, in this case) a and doesn't overstay its welcome.

4 hours ago, El-P said:

Oh damn, I know, that was so stupid ! 

Jim also called one of the Dawsons a "doofy bald headed guy" or words to that effect. Seems he's struggling not to bury the fuck out of acts he doesn't like, which makes his restraint when it comes to Cabana all the more remarkable. 

15 minutes ago, C.S. said:

But seriously, there's something to be said for a tightly constructed TV match that tells a great story (multiple stories, in this case) a and doesn't overstay its welcome.

It was okay. I didn't see any great stories told at all. Tim Storm is some unknown old guy who held the useless NWA title, so the fuck did I care about his despair to win and whatnot. The psychology was basic but ok. The action was ok. I find Aldis to be pretty dull most of the time if there's not a whole dog & pony show built around him. Storm is a decent 50 years old guy working like it's 1991, but there are the Jericho's and LA Park's and Suzuki's of the world, so paint me unimpressed. Everything was quite ok. It wasn't bad at all, and I'd rather watch that than any WWE Mania (or sadly, Takeovers) Self-conscious epic indeed. Kamille took a great bump, which you gotta love, the spirit of Sensationnal Sherri lives on.

Cornette is also out of his depth taking about women. That line about Thunder Rosa was baaaaad.

8 minutes ago, El-P said:

Cornette is also out of his depth taking about women. That line about Thunder Rosa was baaaaad.

What did he say about Rosa? I am still missing certain lines from the commentators because of the sound mixing (although it seemed a bit better this week - but I wonder if the crowd sound was dialed down as a result, because Kingston/Homicide seemingly got zero pop after their face-in-peril hot tag spot).

3 minutes ago, C.S. said:

What did he say about Rosa?

I guess he wanted to say she was scary or something, but "They put her picture in prison to cure the sex-offenders" is just not something that works to get that across and even less something that you'd say in 2019 about any woman, for obvious reasons.

2 minutes ago, El-P said:

I guess he wanted to say she was scary or something, but "They put her picture in prison to cure the sex-offenders" is just not something that works to get that across and even less something that you'd say in 2019 about any woman, for obvious reasons.

*GROAN*

He won't be in the NWA six months from now, though, for obvious reasons. Just wonder who will replace him. 

On 11/9/2019 at 7:04 AM, C.S. said:

With that said, did anyone else notice Jim Cornette putting out the conspiracy theory that Shakespeare didn't write his own plays? :rolleyes: Hey, Jim, do us all a favor and stick to rasslin' and your mama's cornbread casserole, because you're woefully out of your depth when trying to tackle anything even remotely intellectual.

Interestingly enough, the whole "Shakespeare didn't write his own plays" theory has really started to gain a lot of support from both the theatre and academic world over the past 20 years or so.  A couple of the top Shakespearean actors of all time (in my opinion) Sir Derek Jacobi and Sir Ian McKellen both believe that Edward de Vere wrote the plays attributed to William Shakespeare. This theory was actually first introduced in the mid-19th Century and is called "The Oxfordian theory of Shakespeare authorship" and is hotly debated in some academic circles.  They even made a movie promoting the theory back in 2011 called "Anonymous" directed by Roland Emmerich.

I dismiss this theory because Harold Bloom (whom I considered the world's foremost expert on William Shakespeare) dismissed it, and nobody knew Shakespeare better than he did. (Not personally, of course.)  Secondly, this theory was dramatized in a movie directed by Roland Emmerich, who directed that gawd awful adaptation of Godzilla in 1998, and the two Independence Day films.  Anybody who thought those movies were fit for public consumption, or is any way responsible for the popularity of Will Smith must automatically be disqualified from having an opinion on anything, because the man is clearly creatively impaired.

The point is, a lot of people a lot smarter than Jim Cornette also think Shakespeare didn't write those plays.

Oh, also I have to say "cosplay" and..."irrelevant." 

I think you have to say those words in order to post in this thread.  Now I just have to say them 500 more times in order to catch up.

6 hours ago, C.S. said:

Jim also called one of the Dawsons a "doofy bald headed guy" or words to that effect. Seems he's struggling not to bury the fuck out of acts he doesn't like, which makes his restraint when it comes to Cabana all the more remarkable. 

I think he actually likes the Dawsons, or at least he did.  I'm pretty sure he was saying that insult "in character."  He doesn't think they're great or anything, but he doesn't dislike them.

Of course, we all know Jim Cornette is nothing more than an irrelevant cosplay.

40 minutes ago, The Thread Killer said:

Interestingly enough, the whole "Shakespeare didn't write his own plays" theory has really started to gain a lot of support from both the theatre and academic world over the past 20 years ago.  A couple of the top Shakespearean actors of all time (in my opinion) Sir Derek Jacobi and Sir Ian McKellen both believe that Edward de Vere wrote the plays attributed to William Shakespeare. This theory was actually first introduced in the mid-19th Century and is called "The Oxfordian theory of Shakespeare authorship" and is hotly debated in some academic circles.  They even made a movie promoting the theory back in 2011 called "Anonymous" directed by Roland Emmerich. 

Being a talented actor doesn't make you a scholar of history or literature. When someone with no scholarly standing dismisses the overwhelming academic consensus on tendentious grounds, the only appropriate response is mockery.

53 minutes ago, The Thread Killer said:

A couple of the top Shakespearean actors of all time (in my opinion) Sir Derek Jacobi and Sir Ian McKellen both believe that Edward de Vere wrote the plays attributed to William Shakespeare. This theory was actually first introduced in the mid-19th Century and is called "The Oxfordian theory of Shakespeare authorship" and is hotly debated in some academic circles.  They even made a movie promoting the theory back in 2011 called "Anonymous" directed by Roland Emmerich. 

That explains why Jacobi had a small role in the Emmerich movie.

There's actually a good movie in there somewhere, buried under mounds of confusing flashbacks within flashbacks. It's a shame there wasn't anyone more skilled in the editing room to shape it properly. 

It also doesn't help that Shakespeare is portrayed as such a buffoon in the movie that no one would've believed him to be a great playwright in his own time, never mind hundreds of years later.

I bought it recently from Big Lots for like 75 cents, lol, so I'll eventually revisit it (I originally saw it in the theater when it was first released).

But, er, the NWA... The Dawsons would've been prototypical groundlings back in Shakespeare's time. Something, something.