Pro Wrestling Only

WWE TV 10/14 - 10/20 Randy Orton is the Tom Brady of WWE

KawadaSmile

It's a tough spot isn't it? Sign anyone who's been on TV elsewhere in the last 20 years and they're a WWE cast off. Sign someone who's never been on TV and they get disregarded as an indy nobody.  Not just for AEW, but anyone who's not WWE since 2001, it's hard to get anyone who doesn't have some level of WWE stink on them. 

• Replies 308
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

44 minutes ago, tallmike said:

Eh, Justin Roberts has a contract too. Exactly what I want from my WWE alternative - everyone being announced like they're Jawwwwwn fucking Cena.

He's an awesome announcer. Not seeing what the issue is here...

Read his book. The WWE culture is toxic and unbearable. I don't fault the guy for getting another full-time gig in the biz after he was so unceremoniously screwed out of the first one. They even rewrote history and erased his involvement with Conor the Crusher. He was the main driving force behind that, not Aunty Stephy, Uncle Paul, or even Daniel Bryan. 

I'm sure he's a nice guy, and he's Cody's friend or whatever... but he's 100% the wrong kind of hire for AEW. His ring announcing is the pits. It's like the WWE Create An Announcer style, there's no personality. And he still over-enunciates everyone's name like he's still in WWE. Makes the company, from a presentation standpoint, feel like retreads.

I get that announcing is a personal taste thing, but Justin Roberts always came across as someone who made AEW seem legit  rather than a retread.  

Then again I grew up on the Fink and everyone since has come across as second tier, so it's possible I'm just biased. 

1 hour ago, sek69 said:

It's a tough spot isn't it? Sign anyone who's been on TV elsewhere in the last 20 years and they're a WWE cast off. Sign someone who's never been on TV and they get disregarded as an indy nobody.  Not just for AEW, but anyone who's not WWE since 2001, it's hard to get anyone who doesn't have some level of WWE stink on them. 

I think the perception is that if the person is cut from WWE (Hager), then they’re a cast-off. If they choose to leave (Moxley, Jericho, Cody, Dustin), then it’s a big deal. They chose AEW over the big guys. 

15 minutes ago, Log said:

I think the perception is that if the person is cut from WWE (Hager), then they’re a cast-off. If they choose to leave (Moxley, Jericho, Cody, Dustin), then it’s a big deal. They chose AEW over the big guys. 

Actually, Hager asked for his release. It's just that it happened so long ago that no one remembers, and because it's Hager, no one cares.

28 minutes ago, sek69 said:

I get that announcing is a personal taste thing, but Justin Roberts always came across as someone who made AEW seem legit  rather than a retread.  

Then again I grew up on the Fink and everyone since has come across as second tier, so it's possible I'm just biased. 

Fink and Gary Michael Cappetta are the best of my generation, but Roberts has his own distinctive style and carved out a good reputation for himself. He's a great hire. I'm not sure who @tallmike would want instead. Believe it or not, most wrestling ring announcers are really bad. Roberts is excellent. 

Yes, his heel run was really good. In fact, it's what made him such a sought after talent. He was one of the most consistent wrestlers on the planet at that time, but sadly Enzo was more popular, so it couldn't last longer.

There's no Bastard PAC if there wasn't Neville, King of the Cruiserweights, too!