Pro Wrestling Only

WWE TV 10/28 - 11/03 - 1 Year went by so fast!

KawadaSmile

1 hour ago, C.S. said:

While that is definitely true, let's not act like WWE has any world class actors on the roster that could come close to anyone in Hollywood. 

(Well, Miz ain't bad...) ;) 

Miz is actually decent. I've seen Becky act in non-wrestling situations (before she went to NXT) and she's not bad, either.

But hey: Cena, Batista and The Rock made it to Hollywood and are distinctively good in their roles. I'd say Batista is the best one out of them all, too. Hands down the best part of GotG2.

• Replies 190
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

6 minutes ago, sek69 said:

Which was always funny to me since she grew up in Latvia when it was still part of the USSR. You'd think she'd be better at the accent than that. It's a shame Uncle Ivan isn't around to teach folks how to properly be fake Russian. 

That doesn't mean anything, I also could not do a Hollywood-style German-English accent, and I am a German native speaker.

And thinking about it, I know quite some Russian-native speakers, and none of them sound like a Koloff when speaking English.

1 minute ago, KawadaSmile said:

Miz is actually decent. I've seen Becky act in non-wrestling situations (before she went to NXT) and she's not bad, either.

But hey: Cena, Batista and The Rock made it to Hollywood and are distinctively good in their roles. I'd say Batista is the best one out of them all, too. Hands down the best part of GotG2.

I meant current roster, but you're right, they're all pretty good.

I rented Stuber, which is supposed to be bad, so that will be a good test of Batista's talents. 

4 minutes ago, KawadaSmile said:

Becky actually went to acting school between her wrestling stints.

12 minutes ago, Robert S said:

That doesn't mean anything, I also could not do a Hollywood-style German-English accent, and I am a German native speaker.

I'm not sure I could do an Inspector Clouseau accent. Probably not. Someone once said on this board he was reading my posts like I was speaking like Inspector Clouseau.

Lana did a perfectly good fake Russian accent for Rocky IV. Which was basically the gimmick at first.

12 minutes ago, Robert S said:

And thinking about it, I know quite some Russian-native speakers, and none of them sound like a Koloff when speaking English.

Don't worry.  If you were playing a German or any other white, non-American role in a Hollywood movie, you'd just have a vaguely British accent.

I know for a fact I can't do a Hollywood Brazilian accent because that shit barely resembles anything around here. That movie with The Rock, Rosario Dawson and Christopher Walken featured some """"""brazilians""""" and their accent was that of Colombians/Equatorians/spanish speakers in general trying to speak Brazilian Portuguese.

Speaking of which, Taynara Conti is now managed by Stokely and I hope to God that pairing makes TV.

To a lot of folks in the US, South America = Spanish, so anything set  anywhere there is going to sound Spanish-like in a Hollywood movie. I doubt most Americans (me included to be honest) would recognize a Portuguese accent if a gun was pointed to our heads.

20 minutes ago, Robert S said:

It's still real to me, dammit!

5 minutes ago, sek69 said:

To a lot of folks in the US, South America = Spanish, so anything set  anywhere there is going to sound Spanish-like in a Hollywood movie. I doubt most Americans (me included to be honest) would recognize a Portuguese accent if a gun was pointed to our heads.

Come on now. Brazilian accent is awesome in any language. Well, it's great in French anyway. Especially for women (hetero male speaking, it's the same for men actually). Sexy as shit.

Proof :

Haha! LOVE the OSS movies. Jean Dujardin ruled in this.

Speaking of which, Taynara Conti is now managed by Stokely and I hope to God that pairing makes TV.

To be fair, Stokely can put anyone over so Taynara Conti couldn't have found a better manager for her at the moment.

26 minutes ago, Log said:

Don't worry.  If you were playing a German or any other white, non-American role in a Hollywood movie, you'd just have a vaguely British accent.

I was thinking about a Goldfinger-like accent. I mean I have heard Germans speaking English like Gert Fröbe, but not many and mostly older people.

2 minutes ago, Robert S said:

I was thinking about a Goldfinger-like accent. I mean I have heard Germans speaking English like Gert Fröbe, but not many and mostly older people.

Most Americans think all Germans sound like Arnold these days, and I only know the difference because I took 4 years of German in high school and they pointed out the difference between how German sounds in Germany, Austria, and Switzerland. 

Okay, Arnie is a guy how sounds exactly the same when speaking English and German. His Styrian accent is very thick in both languages. Funny thing is that I did not realize that for a long time because he is dubbed by someone else in the German translations of his movies, and dubbing is usually done in accent-free standard German. I doubt that most Germans from the northern half of the country really understand him when he is speaking German.

3 hours ago, The Thread Killer said:

I'm not sure I buy this whole "Lana is an actress" theory. Well, at least not a good actress.  Remember when she first came in with Rusev and she was supposed to have a Russian accent? The "accent" she ended up using was...let's be charitable and say...not Russian.

Accent mimicry is a pretty specialized skill that even a lot of trained actors struggle with. Brad Pitt's attempt at an Irish accent in The Devil's Own is a notorious example.

By the way, this angle is disgraceful and you should be ashamed of yourself if you enjoy it even slightly.

59 minutes ago, Coffey said:

God, Seth is such a fucking geek.

I don't know if in the history of WWE there's been a worse "top guy" & that includes The Great Khali getting a title run.

IIRC Khali is still living off the fame he got in India for being champ, so he's doing better than Seth.

This really shouldn't count I guess because it wasn't a mainstream movie or whatever but my favorite failed attempt at an accent in a movie is Brigette Nielsen in "Chained Heat 2". She actually falls in and out of it the whole movie and in one scene clearly speaks in her normal/natural  voice for its enterity

1 hour ago, sek69 said:

IIRC Khali is still living off the fame he got in India for being champ, so he's doing better than Seth.

Yeah, unlike Seth, he is an actual draw. 

Forget about Roman, if Cena had received a push as strong as Seth has received, he would have been a bigger draw than he eventually became, and he was a pretty big draw. Wtf does Seth consider "enough respect" anyway? Crowd chanting "BURN IT DOWN" and "ROLLINS" every time he does a promo or interview?

10 minutes ago, MoS said:

Yeah, unlike Seth, he is an actual draw. 

Forget about Roman, if Cena had received a push as strong as Seth has received, he would have been a bigger draw than he eventually became, and he was a pretty big draw. Wtf does Seth consider "enough respect" anyway? Crowd chanting "BURN IT DOWN" and "ROLLINS" every time he does a promo or interview?

Perhaps not booing him every time he is up against a heel fans prefer?

I might be wrong, but the only heel they have heered against him is Fiend? Usually he gets meh reactions, and that is not being disrespectful to him. 

https://www.f4wonline.com/wwe-news/wwe-raw-draws-third-worst-ratings-2019-296081

Apparently they did this number against a low-rated American football game. All demographics fell consistently throughout as the show went over, like the general trend has been, so at the very least, we can say the Rusev-Lana-Lashley angle is not generating any particular interest amongst viewers, cuz they built this show around the segment. 

I'm a big Rusev fan and I think Lashley has quietly had better matches than he's been given credit for since coming back to the WWE - the Reigns match was a stinker, but I liked the Balor sprint at Mania and the LMS against Strowman - but I have zero interest in this angle or really anything on RAW these days. It just sits in my DVR list until I delete them.

But I'd also note that it doesn't surprise me that this big scandalous angle is not having the same effect as similar storylines from yesteryear (such as the Edge/Lita Live Sex Celebration or, even years ago, the suggestive segment with Warrior and Sensational Sherri). The big difference, to me, is that those angles all involved characters that were over. Edge and Lita were despised in 2005/2006. Warrior was popular and Sherri was hated. But Lashley and Rusev and Lana have each had their legs cut out from them multiple times and have been treated like non-factors. In Rusev's case, its been what? A 4+ year process of making him "just another guy"?

People are comparing this to Dreamer/Raven/Beulah, but this reminds me so much more of the Kane/Lita/Matt Hardy garbage (which was probably more over than this too) and the Nidia/Jamie Noble stuff and all those other tacky, terrible midcard angles they've run over the years. Its trashy, it involves a bunch of characters the fans are not invested in, and, according to the numbers in the report above, it is driving away every segment of the audience. Like, who is this supposed to appeal to? 

12 minutes ago, DMJ said:

People are comparing this to Dreamer/Raven/Beulah, but this reminds me so much more of the Kane/Lita/Matt Hardy garbage (which was probably more over than this too) and the Nidia/Jamie Noble stuff and all those other tacky, terrible midcard angles they've run over the years. Its trashy, it involves a bunch of characters the fans are not invested in, and, according to the numbers in the report above, it is driving away every segment of the audience. Like, who is this supposed to appeal to? 

I'm comparing it to Dreamer/Raven/Beulah because the same guy that did that is (probably) responsible for this. 

But yes, the main issue with anything WWE does is they've done such a good job making sure no one cares about their characters, it's weird when they do something that requires anyone to do so. 

I'm very much a fan of Rusev. He's one of my top three in the entire company. I thought originally that him at Lana, when they were basically doing the Rocky IV gimmick, were cash. But yeah, this angle isn't doing any of them any favors. Regardless of YouTube views, it's just trash. 

Rusev is a good looking dude. A good wrestler. A good talker. And he's entertaining. WWE will forever confuse me on how they can't figure out what to do with a guy like that. It's mind blowing. I really hope he leaves.