The Cancellation of Jim Cornette

fakeplastictrees

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

No word in itself in unacceptable. Only context and intent matters. That's why I always laugh/shake my head at every occurence of "the X-word". It's so infantile. And it totally ignores how language actually works, so it makes no difference whatsoever if you write/say "fuck" or "f-word" (which is even stupider when you say it). And yeah, it works for every X-word (I actually used another exemple, but then I figured "fuck" was the easiest way to go). Semiology says hello. That fear of words is absolutely ridiculous and yes, a way to infantilize people.

The use of "triggered" in the title of the thread, using the same construction as alt-right dickhead making fun of feminists (for instance), could pass for kinda offensive to some I guess, if you take that construction literally. Still, it's pushing it to me...

18 hours ago, PeteF3 said:

Isn't making a decent living exactly what Cornette's already doing? He's turning down more invites and appearances than he's taking nowadays.

He's making more than a decent living.  Since he quit working directly in the industry full time and started focusing on his memorabilia business, his podcasts and his rare personal appearances, interspersed with the odd part time job (MLW, NWA, Dark Side of the Ring) he claims he is making more money now than he ever did before, and that's adjusting for inflation. He could be lying, but I doubt it. It's a pretty safe bet that he's making a comfortable six figure income.

Look at that comic book project he did with IDW publishing this past year.  He wanted to do a graphic novel with IDW detailing his favorite behind the scenes wrestling stories.  He decided to crowdsource it, since he didn't want to pay for the production of the book himself.  He started a Go Fund Me and asked for $25,000.  He raised $75,000 in the time he thought it would take to raise the $25,000.  IDW finished the graphic novel, and he decided that would be his big feature item to sell this Christmas at his Cornette's Collectibles business, since that is apparently his busiest time of year.  He put the graphic novel on sale in September, assuming he would sell them through the holidays.  He was selling a hardcover edition with personalized autographs exclusively on his site, but the sales of the standard softcover graphic novel went wide.  He sold out his entire hardcover stock in two weeks. It's now pretty much impossible to find a copy of the Hardcover edition, similar to that book he wrote about the Midnight Express years ago.  Copies of that book now literally sell for over $1000.00 on eBay, it's so hard to find. You can still get the softcover graphic novel on Amazon for around $20.00, but it has apparently sold so well and the available stock is so low that IDW have decided to order a second printing, which is something neither Cornette or IDW were anticipating.  He is hoping to get supplies of the second printing in time to sell them for the holidays. 

Brian Last has claimed that every time Cornette gets into another controversy over something he said, or a situation like this AEW fangirl trying to get him cancelled, the downloads and YouTube views for his podcast go up.  He certainly has introduced a lot of new advertisers on his podcast over the past couple of months. A lot of those new listeners are people who are "hate listening" and are looking to be upset or looking for ammo to use against Cornette for sure, but he is also drawing in a lot of new fans to his "Cult of Cornette."  There is no surprise that they decided to breakdown every episode of Dynamite on his podcast for the entire month of October.  The podcasts where he reviewed the first few AEW PPV's supposedly got more downloads than any other shows he had done previously.  He knows what draws listeners, he knows what his fanbase wants and he is giving it to them.  He is basically the Pro Wrestling podcast equivalent of a "shock jock" now.  The more people get offended and complain, the more controversy he creates and the more attention he draws to himself, the more listeners he gets and the more money he makes. Not bad for somebody who is irrelevant.

5 hours ago, El-P said:

No word in itself in unacceptable. Only context and intent matters. That's why I always laugh/shake my head at every occurence of "the X-word". It's so infantile. And it totally ignores how language actually works, so it makes no difference whatsoever if you write/say "fuck" or "f-word" (which is even stupider when you say it). And yeah, it works for every X-word (I actually used another exemple, but then I figured "fuck" was the easiest way to go). Semiology says hello. That fear of words is absolutely ridiculous and yes, a way to infantilize people.

The use of "triggered" in the title of the thread, using the same construction as alt-right dickhead making fun of feminists (for instance), could pass for kinda offensive to some I guess, if you take that construction literally. Still, it's pushing it to me...

Indeed, context and intent is everything. To go back to the use of the word "fuck", here in Quebec, in the French language, the word "fuck" is rather harmless because it's a word we commonly use to avoid using curse words in a more socially acceptable circumstance. Also we use "fucké" to describe something, someone or a situation that is crazy. Of course, it never hurts to know the specific context in which you are immersed before using a certain word.

"Triggered" used to be a word that described things that upset people with PSTD or other serious emotional traumas until fuckboys decided it should apply to anyone who objects to them being sexist/racist/whatever other kinds of fuckery. I don't think the OP had any of those intentions, but unfortunately those previously mentioned fuckboys poisoned the well for everyone else. 

Just now, The Thread Killer said:

A lot of those new listeners are people who are "hate listening" and are looking to be upset or looking for ammo to use against Cornette for sure, but he is also drawing in a lot of new fans to his "Cult of Cornette."  

I've never understood why folk do that.

It's like those weirdo Mark Rushford's of the world who can't stand Dave Meltzer, yet spend their hours listening to every word he says, pouring over every word he writes and actually SUBSCRIBING to the Observer so they can cherry pick comments out of context to have a go at Dave over.  Folk like that have seriously empty lives it's that the way that they spend their days.

Oh, and if we're going on about the title of the thread (which didn't need amending imo), the word is "self-destruction"!

1 minute ago, flyonthewall2983 said:

he's maybe better at it than someone like Meltzer who has always been on the sidelines, no matter how close he got he was never in it. 

Being part of it doesn't make you a good historian though. Especially when it distorts the perception you have of things because of personal bias. Corny is a great archivist and storyteller.

On 11/10/2019 at 1:50 PM, sek69 said:

"Triggered" used to be a word that described things that upset people with PSTD or other serious emotional traumas until fuckboys decided it should apply to anyone who objects to them being sexist/racist/whatever other kinds of fuckery. I don't think the OP had any of those intentions, but unfortunately those previously mentioned fuckboys poisoned the well for everyone else. 

This, basically: I'm sure there are plenty of people that don't know the background, but the root of the current slang usage is literally what sek said, but with the added backstory element of edgelords freaking out and coopting it because feminist blogs and current events sites with a feminist influence were using "trigger warnings" at the top of certain posts if they pertained to, say, sexual assault. Not to bring it into non-PWO territory, but really the only current common usage involving "trigger" as "upset" that you can automatically assume is not someone being shitty is a mocking reference to someone trying to "trigger the Xs,"' most commonly (but not exclusive to) seen in mocking references in leftist circles to the right wing idea of "triggering the libs."

On 11/10/2019 at 7:40 PM, SirEdger said:

Indeed, context and intent is everything. To go back to the use of the word "fuck", here in Quebec, in the French language, the word "fuck" is rather harmless because it's a word we commonly use to avoid using curse words in a more socially acceptable circumstance. Also we use "fucké" to describe something, someone or a situation that is crazy. Of course, it never hurts to know the specific context in which you are immersed before using a certain word.

Funny, because we (I guess younger people do it more ?) tend to do the same thing at times, as "fuck" is gonna sound less vulgar than "putain" or "bordel", only because it's English (much like we say "black" instead of "noir"). I had heard "fucké" before, it sounds sooooo québécois and awesome. :)

I think "putain" is more or less the equivalent of "calice" in the way it's being used and how it's perceived. Maybe it's more vulgar, maybe less, I'm not sure. I say those two words (putain & bordel) all the time (which is why I use "fuck" a lot on the board, because I tend to write like I speak in everyday's life. Like Tony Schiavone once said, I use "fuck" as a coma.)