Pro Wrestling Only

The Cancellation of Jim Cornette

fakeplastictrees

I feel so much sympathy for Vader after listening to that. As much as listening to the Midnights/Fantastics Clash I watch along made me happy, listening to this one made me upset. If Shawn had been willing to work with Vader than Vader would have had a lot more good matches in WWE listening to Cornette.  Of course I realized in hindsight that Corny just does not like Shawn and is probably overlooking the fact that Vader was no longer the same Vader as in WCW and it may not have made much difference in his career. I agree it is sickening to think Shawn was shoot kicking Vader in the head after that botch. That seems uncalled for and dangerous.

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• 1 month later...

The watchalongs Cornette is doing are really good. Besides the occasional jab at how everyone was a better worker back then and did not have to plan much in advance, the watchalongs are full of detailed analysis. The latest episode has watchalongs of the two Summerslam 93 matches he was involved in (Steiners vs. Heavenly Bodies and Yokozuna vs. Luger).

By the way: I have found the perfect way to listen to Cornette's podcasts: on his youtube channel, for each episode there are 5 to 10 clips. So you can easily choose what you want to hear and what not ("Do I want to hear his thoughts about Kenny Omega's assistant? Pass. His thoughts on the relationship between Memphis and Mid-South? Could be interesting.").

Jim's comments on the Sonya Deville attempted abduction on this week's Experience are seriously messed up. He complained how Deville and Rose were insulting kayfabe by hanging out when the guy tried to kidnap Deville and Corny said he would fine them if he was in charge. I thought he was joking, but he doubled down on his comments. Even Brian Last called him out for it. Jim can't seem to wrap his head around the idea that some things are bigger than wrestling. 

I 100% believe Jim Cornette thinks he's "working" & "in character" when making stupid fucking comments like that. He genuinely thinks he's going to get attention/heat over the dumbass comments & that it will lead to more hits/clicks. It's what he wants.

On 7/14/2020 at 11:02 AM, TheDuke said:

I feel so much sympathy for Vader after listening to that. As much as listening to the Midnights/Fantastics Clash I watch along made me happy, listening to this one made me upset. If Shawn had been willing to work with Vader than Vader would have had a lot more good matches in WWE listening to Cornette.  Of course I realized in hindsight that Corny just does not like Shawn and is probably overlooking the fact that Vader was no longer the same Vader as in WCW and it may not have made much difference in his career. I agree it is sickening to think Shawn was shoot kicking Vader in the head after that botch. That seems uncalled for and dangerous.

Vader was probably the best worker in the world in 99 All Japan. He had good to great matches in the WWF when given a chance. Hell he had a much better match with Antonio Inoki oin January of that year. That match is all Shawn being a prima donna asshole.

I remember saving money to order this show and being so upset at the end of the night. I kept hoping eventually Vader would get a fair shot in the WWF, but every time I got my hopes up, they pulled the football away, 

I might be giving Cornette too much of the benefit of the doubt, but his comments came across to me as more "in my day, this is what would have happened." When Last pointed out that it would be absurd to punish them because WWE has no policies against hanging out off the clock even if you're in the middle of a storyline feud, he more or less conceded the point. And he's not the type to back down when he feels adamant about something.

Even considering that context "She would have been punished for having someone break into her house and try to abduct her because her kayfabe rival was in the house" is also an incredibly fucking stupid thing to say. Like the above post said, I'm sure even Bill Watts would have given her a pass for this since it's not like they were out in public together.  

I mean, FFS someone was planning to kidnap her and do god knows what just to keep her from having a hair match at Summerslam, at that point it doesn't fucking matter what would have happened "back in my day". 

Some things are way bigger than rasslin', and Jim knows that. If he's "working" he's an asshole because this isn't something to play your gimmick on. If he's being serious he's an idiot who's brain has turned to mush from years of trying to own the smarts. 

• 3 weeks later...

So I suppose Corny did a segment doing a contest to name the Joey Janela/Sonny Kiss team, and no surprise pretty much all the replies are homophobic and transphobic bullshit.

If he's just working a gimmick, it's one that is quickly attracting a lot of the types he normally would rant against when he gets political.

4 minutes ago, sek69 said:

Right, but I hear a lot of people stating "he's just working to get heat" as a defense of his nonsense but even if he is he attracts fans who are decidedly not. 

So at that point, even if he doesn't believe his own bullshit he's surrounded by people who do. 

I think some of this absolves Brian Last the more I think about it. This segment in particular was most likely Last fishing for these types of replies from the audience.

Oh man, Cornette's fanbase are piling on David Bixenspan (he was the first person to post about the Kiss/Janela thing) after Cornette called him out. Brian Last has joined in, calling him a virgin. It's schoolyard behavior. Bix might have a bit of a reputation as a shit stirrer, but he doesn't deserve all the hate for rightfully calling out Cornette and his fanbase's homophobia. I admit that I still get enjoyment out of Cornette's podcast, but the actions of him, Last and his fanbase aren't doing him any favours. For a guy who hates Trump so much, he sure does act like him. 

4 hours ago, cactus said:

For a guy who hates Trump so much, he sure does act like him. 

You think about it they are incredibly alike in terms of personality. Both are very quick witted. Both are very immature and unfiltered. Both subscribe to the notion that all publicity is good publicity. Both are short tempered and prone to throwing tantrums. Both allegedly have an interest in alternative sex. They are that funny, vulgar loud mouth from the bar that's always good for a laugh, but you'd never interact with in any other setting.