Pro Wrestling Only

The Cancellation of Jim Cornette

fakeplastictrees

Just now, War is Raw said:

It's the honor system with Dave, yet he doesn't see it like that. Anyone who has a ballot can self-identity as an expert in any given category he (yes, 99% of the voters are men) chooses.

Considering who has ballots is kept private unless said people choose to divulge, you have no way of knowing that.  Stick to the facts and stop making things up.

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I would wager there's way more people in general with ballots than we're aware of. It also wouldn't surprise me if the amount of women with ballots are a smaller number than that should be just due to how  the business works, but yeah 1% seems, as Gorilla would say, Highly Unlikely. 

10 minutes ago, sek69 said:

I would wager there's way more people in general with ballots than we're aware of. It also wouldn't surprise me if the amount of women with ballots are a smaller number than that should be just due to how  the business works, but yeah 1% seems, as Gorilla would say, Highly Unlikely. 

Thanks for seeing my overall point, unlike GSR. Hyperbole goes over everyone's heads. Makes sense GSR would defend another literalist like Dave.

See ya around.

Just now, War is Raw said:

Thanks for seeing my overall point, unlike GSR. Hyperbole goes over everyone's heads. Makes sense GSR would defend another literalist like Dave.

See ya around.

Of course there are going to be way more men than women voters, for reasons sek69 stated.  You could've easily said the same, as  it was you chose to throw out unquantifiable numbers and be the same smarmy thinks-they-knows-it-all poster you usually are whenever you show up on this board.

Hope not.

1 hour ago, sek69 said:

The total number is not that hard to estimate: the cut-off in "US and Canada modern" was at 207, 207 / 60 * 100 = 345, so there were 345 voters in that category, which I assume to be the biggest by far. Using the same calculation, "US and Canada historical" had 288 voters, Japan had 218 voters, Mexico 132 voters and "Rest of the world" 180 voters. Theoretically, you could end up with 1163 voters, but I assume in reality the number to be well below 500, probably closer to 400.

2 hours ago, War is Raw said:

It's the honor system with Dave, yet he doesn't see it like that. Anyone who has a ballot can self-identity as an expert in any given category he (yes, 99% of the voters are men) chooses.

Not sure why so many people push back on any criticism of his HOF procedures. People have been attacking the Baseball HOF's methods since inception. We all want the best people nominated, and a fair system.

The biggest problem with the categories is not even the self-assigning by the voters. The whole "rest of the world" category is the best example for that. To be able to make a good selection who to vote for, you would have to be an expert in Australian wrestling, UK, mainland Europe and Puerto Rico (was there any candidate on the ballot this time? I would guess Miguel Perez Sr. was part of the "historical US & Canada" category?). Besides UK and mainland Europe, there is no cross-section at all between this regions.

2 hours ago, War is Raw said:

See ya around.

I took your post literally too, so you were not nearly as clear as you may have thought you were. 

1 hour ago, Robert S said:

you would have to be an expert in Australian wrestling

I'm sure Ed Lock has a vote and Libnan Ayoub is a fantastic researcher, but the problem is that the pro-wrestling scene died here in 1978 when World Championship Wrestling shut down. And by "died" I do mean "died" - when it came time for me to become a pro-wrestler (in Melbourne) in 1993, Sydney was running a show every month or three (bit hazy on that), and that was all. So there was work for what, a dozen or so pro-wrestlers here. I'm pretty sure that in 1993, when a lady started a promotion in Melbourne, I became Australia's only pure jobber *

Despite the boom in live, local wrestling over the last decade or so with feds popping up everywhere, any WON HoF candidates from Australia are going to be from before 1978 (far too soon for the Rhea Ripleys and Robbie Eagles' et al of this generation), which brings us back to Ed and Libnan - to be an expert on Australian graps, you need to have lived through it and/or done copious amounts of research, and those folk are hard to come by (there's also the Aussie Posse at Kayfabe or Classics who are highly knowledgable).

Can someone tell me if Jim Barnett is in the HoF, and if so was he in the Rest of the World category?

*I wear that as a slightly-perverse badge of honour

Barnett was a member of the original HOF class that got in by fiat, so he wasn't categorized by region. His bio from the issue where the class was announced is as follows: Controversial promoter who ran successful operations in many parts of the country including Indianapolis, Australia and Georgia and was a key member of the WWF and WCW front offices. A key player in the early days of Georgia Championship Wrestling and its original association with Ted Turner.

Just now, Dav'oh said:

I'm sure Ed Lock has a vote and Libnan Ayoub is a fantastic researcher, but the problem is that the pro-wrestling scene died here in 1978 when World Championship Wrestling shut down. And by "died" I do mean "died" - when it came time for me to become a pro-wrestler (in Melbourne) in 1993, Sydney was running a show every month or three (bit hazy on that), and that was all. So there was work for what, a dozen or so pro-wrestlers here. I'm pretty sure that in 1993, when a lady started a promotion in Melbourne, I became Australia's only pure jobber *

Despite the boom in live, local wrestling over the last decade or so with feds popping up everywhere, any WON HoF candidates from Australia are going to be from before 1978 (far too soon for the Rhea Ripleys and Robbie Eagles' et al of this generation), which brings us back to Ed and Libnan - to be an expert on Australian graps, you need to have lived through it and/or done copious amounts of research, and those folk are hard to come by (there's also the Aussie Posse at Kayfabe or Classics who are highly knowledgable).

Steve Ogilvie has a vote, at least he did last year as he was on Brian Last's podcast, and was very good too, so I would assume he again voted this year.  Although Tim Hornbaker posted on Classics about how he never got a ballot this year, whether that was an oversight on Dave's part or he does drop people we'll probably never know.

I wonder if he'll actually send ballots to Cornette and Last in 2021.  After accusing him of manipulating and fabricating results I know if I was in Dave's shoes they wouldn't be getting one again.

• 4 weeks later...
1 hour ago, MoS said:

Cannot listen to Corny and Last for 41 fucking minutes. Paging good brother @The Thread Killer for help

1 hour ago, C.S. said:

I came in here to ask for the same thing - one of TTK's epic recaps. :D 

Every time I post one of my epic, overly long recaps or detailed reports about something, I'm always a little bit worried I'm coming across as too much of a pompous windbag, or acting like a know-it-all.  Or even worse, that nobody even reads it or cares so I'm basically wasting my time.  But if you guys actually want to read about this latest Cornette podcast, sure...I will post a recap. I will probably have time to post it later tonight.

Not for nothing either...I have talked in other threads here at PWO about exclusive content I have access to, like Conrad Thompson's recent exclusive interview with Jim Herd, or Eric Bischoff's "Member's Only" podcast where he got into detail about what happened when he got fired from WWE last year.  I would have actually enjoyed recapping and sharing that stuff, but nobody seemed interested.  No...you guys want me to suffer by listening to yet another Jim Cornette rant about modern wrestling.  But I am happy to do it, because you guys are good brothers.  Plus, it is Christmas, the time for giving.

Stay tuned...

54 minutes ago, The Thread Killer said:

Every time I post one of my epic, overly long recaps or detailed reports about something, I'm always a little bit worried I'm coming across as too much of a pompous windbag, or acting like a know-it-all.  Or even worse, that nobody even reads it or cares so I'm basically wasting my time.  But if you guys actually want to read about this latest Cornette podcast, sure...I will post a recap. I will probably have time to post it later tonight.

Not for nothing either...I have talked in other threads here at PWO about exclusive content I have access to, like Conrad Thompson's recent exclusive interview with Jim Herd, or Eric Bischoff's "Member's Only" podcast where he got into detail about what happened when he got fired from WWE last year.  I would have actually enjoyed recapping and sharing that stuff, but nobody seemed interested.  No...you guys want me to suffer by listening to yet another Jim Cornette rant about modern wrestling.  But I am happy to do it, because you guys are good brothers.  Plus, it is Christmas, the time for giving.

Stay tuned...

I’ll gladly take recaps of those other ones as well!

48 minutes ago, Matt D said:

I’ll gladly take recaps of those other ones as well!

5 minutes ago, MoS said:

Co-signed

Fair enough.  If people are actually interested I am happy to start a thread and post some of the more interesting stuff I have access to.  I just didn't want to bother if nobody was going to read it. I am about 90% of the way through recapping the aforementioned Cornette review of the Firefly Funhouse Inferno match.  I am going to take a break and walk my dogs, and then I will come back and finish up. It should be posted in the next couple of hours.

Jim Cornette reviews the Firefly Funhouse Inferno Match from TLC 2020

- Brian Last starts out by pointing out that he and Jim had already planned and pre-recorded their holiday podcast content and had only planned on posting new original content if "somebody did something stupid" and it only took one day for that to happen and interrupt their holidays.

- Cornette agrees that they had planned a nice break but would only do record something new if it was truly noteworthy, but this match was historically bad so it met the criteria.

- Brian pointed out that they had not planned on reviewing TLC as a PPV, and initially the reviews of the show were very positive.  "And then the Main Event happened."

(Side note:  Some people - especially hardcore AEW fans - like to complain that Cornette picks on AEW and only rants about them, the implication being that Cornette and Last prefer WWE or give them a pass when they do stupid shit.  Both Cornette and Last have repeatedly claimed the opposite is true.  They have eviscerated AEW and will probably continue to do so, but they have repeatedly said that AEW has also done some good stuff that they like and even when AEW is bad, at least they are entertaining.  Conversely, they have given up on pretty much all "Main Roster" WWE content and will not review the weekly shows because they are not only bad, they are extremely boring and have no entertainment value like AEW.  Once in a while Cornette and Last will review a WWE PPV but invariably they end up roasting it just as bad as they do AEW...if not worse.)

- Cornette says a lot of the blame for this match should lay with the WWE writers.  Cornette says they used to be content with writing bad comedy, now they have branched out into bad horror as well.

- Cornette pointed out that he is not adverse to the use of fire in Pro Wrestling, and pointed out that he was involved in at least two notable angles involving fire when he threw the fireball at Ronnie Garvin, and with Bob Armstrong in Smoky Mountain.  Cornette says it is not the gimmick he is opposed to. "I'm not against setting people on fire.  I've set people on fire."

- Brian Last pointed out there is a big difference between the use of fire in old school Pro Wrestling and...whatever this was.

- Cornette does a hilarious imitation of Kevin Dunn talking about the "Firefly Funhouse Inferno Match" and says he would have loved to have heard Dunn talking about it in the production meeting.  If you've ever heard Jim Cornette imitate Kevin Dunn, you can imagine how funny this was.

- Cornette says ring announcer Mike Rone looks like he gets his hair cut with a pencil sharpener.

(Side note:  Mike Rone is the same guy who used to post at the old Smarks Board and DVDVR Messageboard as "Michrone" isn't he?  Was he ever a member here?  I remember that guy being a really nice guy and a big fan of early ROH before the infamous RF "incident.")

Cornette doesn't have a huge problem with the actual stipulation of having to light part of your opponent on fire.

(Side note: I would hope not, since he and Bruce Prichard invented the Kane character and if I'm not mistaken he was involved in booking the match between The Undertaker and Kane at Unforgiven 1998 during which the ring was surrounded by fire and the only way you could win was to light your opponent on fire.)

- Cornette says that some people might be surprised that he is going to criticize something involving Randy Orton, who he usually speaks very highly of. Cornette says that Randy Orton is one of the few remaining legitimate superstars WWE has.  Cornette puts Randy Orton over huge, but says Orton reminds him of when Nicholas Cage went from being an Academy Award winning star to making horrible, straight to video movies just for a paycheck.  Cornette implies Orton doesn't really care about the tradition of the Pro Wrestling business and is in it for the money. Cornette wonders what Bob Orton would have thought of this.  Cornette says being involved in this drags Randy Orton down.

- Cornette says that he isn't sure about Bray Wyatt and he thinks that Wyatt must actually think this stuff is good...because he has been involved in too much of this theatrical stuff to actually not enjoy it.  Cornette wonders if this match is the end of "The Fiend" character.

- Brian Last says he is confident we have not seen the last of Bray Wyatt.

- Cornette points out that the reaction that he has seen to this match has been mockery, and wonders if that was WWE's intention. Cornette wonders if WWE wants people to laugh at and mock their property.  Cornette wonders who pitched this to Vince, and can't imagine himself or Prichard or even Russo pitching this to Vince.  Cornette says the Vince he knew never would have gone for this.

(Side note: Cornette has said repeatedly over the past couple of years that he cannot believe that the same Vince McMahon he worked with in creative in the WWF 25 years ago is the person responsible for this type of match.  Cornette has said that even though the WWF was never as "serious" a product as the NWA, Vince was still his father's son and had a lot of respect for the foundations of the Pro Wrestling business.  Cornette and Last have talked at length about how Vince has changed over the years and is clearly "losing it.")

- Cornette actually ends up bringing the match from Unforgiven 1998, and pointed out that it fit Kane's gimmick and that although you could tell how they did it, the stunt was not as obviously phony as this match was.  Cornette claims one of his biggest issues with this match is how it was very clearly a mannequin that was lit on fire. Cornette says this match looked more like a Three Stooges film than it did like the match at Unforgiven 98.

- Cornette says matches like this are what cause longtime fans to give up and stop watching wrestling altogether.  Cornette says that if you do something like this once in a while, it may not scare away hardcore fans, but if you do matches like this regularly enough then some fans will just give up.  Cornette points out that he saw some fans on Twitter saying this match was the proverbial "straw that broke the camel's back" and they are officially done with WWE. 

- Brian Last and Jim Cornette also discussed the recent "all time low" record RAW rating and how things like this are contributing to that decline. Cornette equated this match to the effect that Mae Young giving birth to a hand had on the Pro Wrestling business.

- Cornette points out that by being involved in too many matches like this runs the risk of a guy like Randy Orton to being known as "the guy who was in that goofy shit when the mannequin got set on fire" and that ends up being the kind of thing he will be remembered for, if he is not careful.

- Cornette says it is very important to be aware as Pro Wrestling promoter what kind of "subliminal messages" you are sending your fans about your own product and what kind of memories you are giving them.

- Cornette diverts from the narrative to ask for as an example, did Rey Mysterio end up growing a new eyeball after his match with Seth Rollins?

- Cornette says you should never advertise stipulations which will cause the fans to roll their eyes.

- Cornette says this kind of match is what the writers dreamed of and now they can do it because there are no fans in the building...now they can do special effects and retakes which they couldn't do before the pandemic.

- Brian Last says he does not blame the writers, he blames Vince McMahon.

- Cornette agrees there is plenty of blame to go around, and thinks somebody should give Vince a cognitive test.

- Cornette wonders if they plan to resurrect Bray Wyatt like Frankenstein's monster.

- Cornette hammers home again that one of his biggest issues with this match was not the concept, but the fact that it was clearly, visibly fake and that everybody could tell they set a mannequin on fire.

They start to go through the match move by move...

- Cornette complains about the obviously fake piped in fan noise.

- Cornette says that Randy Orton doing an entrance like he was going into an actual fight was pointless in a match like this.

- Cornette says that Bray Wyatt's entrance and look are actually "cool." The problem is that his matches are always full of phony stuff, and he doesn't sell properly. Cornette praises the overall aesthetic and appearance of the Fiend, and that is his favorite part of the character. It’s just when he starts to work everything goes wrong.

- Brian Last says Randy Orton's entrance took almost 6 minutes.  Cornette agrees that the entrances were way too long.

- Cornette complains about Randy Orton punching Bray Wyatt right off the bat, only to have Wyatt totally no-sell it.

- Cornette says this match reminds him of when Jerry Lawler was actually in charge of booking the Memphis territory and wanted to bring in Nick Bockwinkel, but couldn't get him.  Cornette says that Lawler needed an opponent, and he had Duke Myers in the territory. Lawler put a mask on Duke Myers and called him "The Colossus of Death."  Myers no sold most of Lawler's offence and they drew a 20,000 house out of it, but that was done as a one time stop-gap solution when they needed a heel to work with Lawler...it wasn't an ongoing character or program. That is not the kind of thing you want to see on a regular basis.

- Cornette complained extensively about the ridiculous "quick cut" camera angles.

(Side note: FUCKING AMEN.  That is one of the many reasons I quit watching WWE. I fucking HATE those ridiculous constant quick cuts.)

- Brian Last agreed.  He said people find it hard to watch WWE programming due to the excessive quick cuts.  Cornette says it looks like the old Batman TV series from the 60's. Cornette says WWE looks far too overly rehearsed and staged now, and it has lost all appearance of reality or spontaneity.

- Cornette brought up another one of latest pet peeves, something he calls the "hand palm shoot off" where during a match wrestlers now just give their opponents a tiny half-hearted shove and the opponent rebounds off the ropes at full speed for no reason.  Of course, the real reason they do this is to get momentum for a complicated manoeuvre or to transition to the next move, but Cornette HATES this and has claimed he would fine anybody who ever did this when he was in charge of WWE Developmental because it is so clearly fake, unrealistic and totally impossible under normal circumstances. Cornette says Rip Rogers would have killed Randy Orton for doing that move when Rogers was training him in OVW.

- Cornette asks why Bray Wyatt was dressed like a biker version of Doink.  Brian Last finds this very humorous.  Cornette says Biker Doink would have fit in on Sons of Anarchy.

- Cornette rips on Randy Orton wearing a track suit during the match, especially since it is a PPV Main Event. Cornette then admits that Orton had no choice for safety reasons.

- Brian Last asks if we were supposed to believe that Bray Wyatt was controlling the level of the flames with his mind, or did he have somebody backstage manipulating the fire?  Cornette says he can believe that the WWE pyro crew would agree to manipulate fire for the entrances for characters like Kane and The Undertaker, but even that "stretched credulity." Cornette speculates Vince McMahon was backstage egging the pyro crew on saying "hit it again."  (Cornette did a humorous Vince impression here.)

- Cornette goes mental about Wyatt swinging a strap that was obviously covered in flammable gel, but it was even worse when Wyatt swung "a fucking axe" and expected us to believe that he was actually trying to hit Orton with an axe and kill him.

- Cornette complains there was no referee during this match.  Cornette repeated that this no longer even resembles Pro Wrestling anymore, and that is why they are hemorrhaging fans so badly.

- Cornette goes mental over the spot where Wyatt put Orton into a flaming rocking chair and how the announcers reacted. Brian Last agreed. Cornette and Last complain about how the announcers started speaking in "hushed tones" like people were somehow expected to take any of this seriously.  Cornette says it sounds like they were trying to call a golf tournament.  Cornette says that the announcers lose all credibility by trying to make a match like this sound even remotely serious.

- Cornette points out that the faces of the fans in "The Thunderdome" were frozen which further made the whole thing look fake and phony.  Cornette says it was humorous that at one point, the camera caught one of the fans on their video screen giving a double thumbs down.

- Cornette says even if this had been a Pro Wrestling match, it would have been impossible to pay attention to because of all the distractions like the fire and the fake crowd noise and the bad announcing.  Cornette says there was no way you could honestly get invested in this match.

- Cornette says that this proves WWE has totally lost the plot.

- Cornette gives Wyatt credit for allowing himself to be set on fire, but then wonders why he then responded by running into the ring, just so Orton could give him the RKO while he was on fire.

- Brian Last pointed out that if you get set on fire, you're supposed to "stop, drop and roll." Cornette says instead Wyatt ran...and then he got dropped. Then he rolled over.

- Cornette then mocks the fact that after pinning Wyatt, Randy Orton went to get a gas can and one of the announcers asked "What's he going to do?"  Cornette replied: "What the fuck do you think he's going to do?! He's going to pour gas on this motherfucker!"

- Cornette points out that it was very convenient that as soon as Orton rolled out of the ring, there just happened to be a can of gas and a large box of matches. Cornette jokes that it is standard practice to keep gas and matches at ringside.

- Cornette complained that Orton is setting a guy on fire, but nobody bothers to come out to try and save the guy.

- Brian Last and Cornette joke about how much trouble old school promoters used to have to go to in order to hide things from the Fire Marshall when they ran a show that would involve fire in any way, compared to this.

- Cornette reiterates that his major issue is the cumulative effect of matches like this...the more you do things like this, the less the fans will care and you lose potential tools from your tool kit. Cornette says this is prostituting the Pro Wrestling business.

- Cornette repeated the fact that he threw one simple fireball in Ronnie Garvin's face 33 years ago and people still talk about it to this day.  Cornette talks about the reaction to that angle...how Jimmy Garvin turned babyface and rushed his brother to the hospital. Cornette says that simple angle drove people "berserk" so much so that ended up getting a ton of death threats. (He pointed out that some of the best threats were reprinted in his book about The Midnight Express.)  Cornette says that angle drew huge money because it led to a series of matches between Ronnie Garvin and Barry Windham against The Midnight Express which drew big at house shows, and then later matches with The Garvin Brothers vs. The Midnight Express. Cornette says that was a huge angle...and it wasn't treated like a joke or a laughing stock.  Cornette says that in comparison, if people do end up remembering the Firefly Funhouse Inferno match, it will be because it was so stupid.

- Cornette says he can't figure out what has happened to Vince McMahon.  He also says he can tell that Bruce Prichard is clearly just doing his best to serve up whatever he thinks Vince wants, because that is what Bruce has always done. Cornette pointed out that Vince thinks Bruce understands his creative vision, when in fact Bruce is just famous for giving Vince whatever he wants and telling him whatever he wants to hear.

- Brian Last pointed out that Bray Wyatt has been involved in a number of matches which have been ridiculously stupid over this past year, starting with the Firefly Funhouse match at Wrestlemania.  They talk about some match with Braun Stroman that took place in a swamp and ended up with the water turning red with blood afterwards(!?)  Brian Last said that Bray Wyatt has been involved with so much nonsense over the past year alone that it all runs together and it is impossible to take him seriously anymore.

- In a rare occasion of self criticism and self depreciation, Jim Cornette talked about a Pro Wrestler named Billy Black who was in Smoky Mountain, who Cornette booked as a Georgia “swamp bastard” carrying a burlap sack of "who knows what" around, but Black wouldn't stick with the gimmick and Cornette pretty much admits that the gimmick killed his career.

- Brian Last read the recap from the Observer website of what happened the following night on RAW with Randy Orton and Alexa Bliss, and pointed out that things like this are the reason he and Cornette can't sit through reviewing weekly WWE TV.  Cornette sounded both incredulous and somewhat depressed in reaction to the RAW segment. Cornette says he is tempted to watch RAW so he can rip it apart, but that means he would have to watch the show and he doesn't think he can do that.

- Brian Last asks Cornette if he thinks Randy Orton should be charged with murder. Cornette says no, because if the police looked at the evidence it would be very clear that Orton set fire to a mannequin.

- Brian Last pointed out that Impact recently did a "murder mystery" angle and Cornette pointed out that Lucha Underground was killing and resurrecting people before Impact.  Cornette says Lucha Underground was right in the middle of Hollywood and had all the writers there to make that kind of stuff happen.  Cornette says that Impact shot the groom, and Randy Orton burned Bray Wyatt, but Eric Clapton did not shoot the sheriff.  Brian Last points out that it was actually Bob Marley who shot the sheriff, but they agree that he did not shoot the deputy. But Eric Clapton tried to take credit for it.

- Brian Last asks if Matt Hardy actually drowned in the Football Field match in AEW, but Jim Cornette pointed out that Matt Hardy had already killed his own career by doing stuff like that.

- Jim Cornette pointed out that Pro Wrestling is becoming much more dangerous because now you can be shot or burned to death.

- Cornette talked about the time Shawn Michaels refused to work in the WWF when he (Cornette) was there, because Bret Hart had attacked him backstage.  Cornette says that Shawn Michaels had complained that working with Bret Hart created an "unsafe work environment" but that was nothing compared to all this. Now you can get shot, burned or drowned.

- Brian Last wraps up the segment by saying they are now returning to their planned holiday hiatus, but they will be back if somebody else does something stupid.  Cornette says it is a given that will happen, because of the amount of stupid content in Pro Wrestling right now. Cornette says he will only come back if it is even more stupid than this, and that is setting the bar very high.

27 minutes ago, SirEdger said:

To answer one of your side questions: the ring announcer is Mike Rome, not Mike Rone. So I doubt there's any connection with that DVDVR user you were referring to.

Thanks bud. Turns out I screwed up and the poster name was actually “Michrome” with an “m” not an “n.”  If I remember correctly he used to post here when this place was called New Millennium Blues, and I remember seeing him around various other message boards I used to post at over the years.

I vaguely remember hearing somewhere that he had gotten involved with the Pro Wrestling business that’s why I wondered if it was the same guy. I guess it really doesn’t matter either way.