Pro Wrestling Only

The Cancellation of Jim Cornette

fakeplastictrees

25 minutes ago, Badlittlekitten said:

Thing is, if Cargill had that body but happened to be white and blonde he'd be banging on about how she looks like a superstar (she does). But nah. Looks like Shelton Benjamin and doesn't get a chance.

I am sure he has said a lot of negative things about Sable or Jackie Gayda over the years.

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Honestly the whole "muscle = star" in 2021 kinda baffles me, especially in a very work-oriented promotion like AEW. This is a totally dated mentality. If you can't deliver inside the ring once the bell rings, you're not gonna get over. Cargill totally looks like the kind of talent WWE would want still.

I 100% agree Corny's assessment. Cargill has elite D1 athleticism and looks the part of a pro athlete. None of the women and very few of the men in AEW can say those things. But she's been in the wrestling business less than 6 months and is nowhere near ready to be on TV but she's got some potential. Nowadays people will get super offended if you say that somebody who lacks the required experience for a job must have slept with somebody to get to it, but I can understand his sentiment because as of now she is not good.  

19 minutes ago, joeg said:

Nowadays people will get super offended if you say that somebody who lacks the required experience for a job must have slept with somebody to get to it, but I can understand his sentiment because as of now she is not good.  

Not saying you meant this that way, but this, in my opinion, comes across like "If you think blatant misogyny is bad, it's your problem." Lots of things were acceptable back in the day which should never have been acceptable and are not acceptable now. Corny's racist and sexist rant is one of them. 

Like, none of us here have defended Jade Cargill's working ability. You just have to look at the weekly AEW threads; I have frequently said she is the absolute worst promo in wrestling today, and that the Shaq angle is the drizzling shits which I don't know the point of doing. But there's a way to convey that without coming across as a dumbass bigoted dick. You managed to do that. All of us have managed to do it. I don't think it is unreasonable to expect that Corny also manages to do that.

On 2/7/2021 at 9:07 AM, joeg said:

I was trying to make the point that I agree with Cornette's sentiment even if he was somewhat offensive in the way he said it. Actually that's how I feel about most things Cornette says. I had no intention of offending. 

Lot of times, Cornette is the embodiment of that famous "you're not wrong Walter, you're just an asshole" line from The Big Lebowski.

19 hours ago, Robert S said:

Lot of times, Cornette is the embodiment of that famous "you're not wrong Walter, you're just an asshole" line from The Big Lebowski.

OMG I was going to say the exact same thing but I didn't know if Mos would get the reference..... Everything Cornette says is spot on, but he's such an asshole about it. Buuut him being an asshole is what makes him entertaining in the same way most of the best jokes in Lebowski came from Walter being grossly offensive. If Cornette were polite and well mannered I don't think he'd have the following that he does. He often seems to say offensive things just to draw attention. 

I think her deal is she was a former pop idol who got fired or something for not being the the squeaky clean image they expect. So her gimmick is to be provocative on purpose because it's the opposite you'd expect from an idol. 

That's far too much nuance for Corny and his band of idiots, they just want to be sexist and racist, with a dash of homophobia directed at Omega with the "twinkletoes" comment.

It's really well past the point of pretending Cornette is someone worth listening to just because his wrestling opinions match up with one's own.  

He's like the wrestling equivalent of Bill Maher. I agree with him probably close to 100% when it comes to politics, but he's such a smug asshole about it I no longer watch his show. 

The funniest thing is that I did not know of Maki Itoh's existence (she was announced but was a part of a bunch of japanese wrestlers I had never heard of because I don't follow the scene), but now whenever she'll show up either on Dark or Dynamite (even on a taped match from Japan), she'll already be over with me for having owned Cornette on Twitter. And I'm probably not the only one.

43 minutes ago, sek69 said:

It's really well past the point of pretending Cornette is someone worth listening to just because his wrestling opinions match up with one's own.  

He's like the wrestling equivalent of Bill Maher. I agree with him probably close to 100% when it comes to politics, but he's such a smug asshole about it I no longer watch his show. 

Same here, plus Maher is also an Islamaphobe and a mysoginist. I still watch Real Time on occasion, but not like I used to.

2 hours ago, sek69 said:

Exactly.... but I think the smug asshole thing is an act (for both of them) to get attention. If Cornette acted like a normal human being what would separate him from the 30 other podcasts by former wrestlers? 

Also does Cornette have any room to talk when it comes to fetishes and alternative life styles?  I'm not one to judge. But hey come on now. You can't say on your podcast that what goes on between a man, his wife, their friend, their other friend, and their other friend  in a hot tub is nothing but consensual fun then a month later call somebody twinkletoes and fetishist.... 

I'm not one that judges others or gets easily offended which is why I think I defend Corny so much here.  But to me you can't rant about how your personal predilections are your business and nobody else's so don't judge and then turn around and mock somebody else for their own personal preferences. 

I'm more used to "Twinkletoes" being used on someone like John Tenta or Kamala. Or even Titus O'Neil. It's always been used sarcastically.
The irony is that Kenny really is twinkle-toed. It's a compliment. Corny is a gutless shit for hiding behind euphemisms and innuendo.