Pro Wrestling Only

The Cancellation of Jim Cornette

fakeplastictrees

5 minutes ago, Mad Dog said:

I checked the Geneva Conventions and you are due for a Bryan Adams apology...

Yeah but then that sets a precedent and I'd have to apologize for Celine Dion and then Justin Bieber...it never ends.

Thank God we gave the world Shatner.  Luckily he makes up for pretty much everything.

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

1 minute ago, PeteF3 said:

Isn't most of the objectivism stuff just from Peart, anyway? (I'm...about as middle-of-the-pack on Rush as it gets.)

Neil Young can undo a lot of Canadian ills. And am I wrong for kind of still liking the Crash Test Dummies?

Yeah it was Pete, he wrote pretty much all of their lyrics and in the mid-seventies he was into that objectivism stuff, but I have seen him say in interviews that got way overblown because they dedicated an album to Ayn Rand in 1976 or something. From that point on, a lot of people liked to paint them as rabid Libertarians or something but as I said, I really don't think that represents any of their political views now - not that it matters anyhow because they're retired.

And you are correct, Neil Young also has to cancel out a lot of crap we have unleashed upon the world.  And no, you're not wrong for liking the Crash Test Dummies.  As I recall, I had their first few albums on cassette! :D

The funny thing about Cornette's comment is the best possible interpretation of it was him making joke about famine in Ethiopia which is only about 35 odd years out of date.  I'm sure a lot of people 30 and under don't even remember that and saw it as a straight up racist comment about fried chicken. 

It's amazingly on brand for Corny that even his racism is behind the times. 

I am a 26 year dude from India and even I know that talking about fried chicken in this context is an absolute no-no. Surely Cornette knew as well. Maybe he was trying to be controversial and thus get views. 

I don't know much about Canadian politics but you all have a huge Indian immigrant population so I am sure you have good music at least. ;)

Nick Aldis released a statement tonight condemning Cornette's joke, so it seems clear that the NWA isn't going to shield him from the fallout of this situation.  Problem for the NWA is, even if they decide to go public tomorrow and fire Cornette, they still have three more weeks of shows to burn through before the PPV and the next set of Power tapings.  I wouldn't be surprised if they announced that Cornette will not be the Color Commentator for the PPV and on Power from now on, but there is not much they can do to scrub him from the upcoming shows. He does interviews from the podium and even if they tried to get clever and edit his commentary out or have somebody else do a voice-over, you'd still see him sitting there in the studio...it's too small an environment to try and cut all the scenes where he appears. It's not like they're going to scrap the shows.  So they're pretty much stuck with him for the next few weeks, whether they like it or not at this point.

4 hours ago, The Thread Killer said:

Nick Aldis released a statement tonight condemning Cornette's joke, so it seems clear that the NWA isn't going to shield him from the fallout of this situation.  Problem for the NWA is, even if they decide to go public tomorrow and fire Cornette, they still have three more weeks of shows to burn through before the PPV and the next set of Power tapings.  I wouldn't be surprised if they announced that Cornette will not be the Color Commentator for the PPV and on Power from now on, but there is not much they can do to scrub him from the upcoming shows. He does interviews from the podium and even if they tried to get clever and edit his commentary out or have somebody else do a voice-over, you'd still see him sitting there in the studio...it's too small an environment to try and cut all the scenes where he appears. It's not like they're going to scrap the shows.  So they're pretty much stuck with him for the next few weeks, whether they like it or not at this point.

You could just toss a disclaimer on there and maybe have Corgan do a brief little announcement at the beginning of the shows. I think you can get around that easily, they just need to go through the last 2 episodes and make sure there isn't anything in there. 

7 hours ago, The Thread Killer said:

Nick Aldis released a statement tonight condemning Cornette's joke, so it seems clear that the NWA isn't going to shield him from the fallout of this situation.   

A much better and classier statement than Lagana's "I'm sorry if you were offended" non-apology "apology."

Sometimes I wonder if Lagana isn't exactly the sharpest tool in the shed, between this and his baffling "Nick Aldis was our third choice" statement a few days ago. 

17 minutes ago, SmartMark15 said:

Corny just officially resigned from the company.

Yeah, was just coming to post this. 

https://www.f4wonline.com/other-wrestling/jim-cornette-resigns-nwa-297786?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter

The company made the following announcement Wednesday morning:

"Effective immediately: Jim Cornette has resigned from the National Wrestling Alliance. As an announcer on the November 19th edition of NWA Power, Jim made remarks during a singles match between Nick Aldis and Trevor Murdoch that were both offensive and do not meet the high standards of decency and good faith of the National Wrestling Alliance.

To ensure that such an error can never happen again, we've established new procedures of review for all NWA programming going forward.

We sincerely regret our failure in this regard."

3 minutes ago, NintendoLogic said:

Something tells me that we shouldn't expect much in the way of contrition.

I remember him being criticised for calling a fan the n-word in some kind of altercation in the mid-90s, and he wrote a long letter about how it's unfair, so it was really my bad for expecting any. 

So, who the hell replaces Cornette at Into the Fire and the subsequent tapings? They have to be scrambling to find a new color commentator now.

Is there anyone good left that's a free agent? (And no, Taz is not good and totally the wrong fit for the NWA anyway.)

Wow, even TMZ picked up the story. NWA obviously had no choice but to fire Cornette at this point. (I don't believe for a second that he actually "resigned." I think they allowed him to say that out of respect for his contributions so he could save face.)

https://www.tmz.com/2019/11/20/jim-cornette-nwa-racist-ethiopia-chicken-wrestling-broadcast/

The story has since been updated, but the original headline was: Wrestling's Jim Cornette Makes Insanely Racist Comment During 'NWA' Broadcast

5 minutes ago, C.S. said:

So, who the hell replaces Cornette at Into the Fire and the subsequent tapings? They have to be scrambling to find a new color commentator now.

Is there anyone good left that's a free agent? (And no, Taz is not good and totally the wrong fit for the NWA anyway.)

In the NWA thread I suggested Dutch Mantell.  I don't know if you ever heard him when he did color back in WCW after Turner bought JCP but before Bischoff came in, but he was great. Knowledgeable, and really funny.  He was also the Color Commentator on the infamous "Heroes of Wrestling" PPV back in 1999...not that it should be held against him.

7 minutes ago, The Thread Killer said:

In the NWA thread I suggested Dutch Mantell.  I don't know if you ever heard him when he did color back in WCW after Turner bought JCP but before Bischoff came in, but he was great. Knowledgeable, and really funny. 

Can't believe I did not think of this. Mantell is awesome. His work in SMW is some of the best color man stuff ever.

As far as Corny goes, the fact he won't even offer an apology, even a lame-ass Lagana-style one, and is teasing his next podcast talking about "stupid people" is just sad. I've seen the same process with some people just building a wall around them and getting caught up in their own bullshit and hatred, and it never ends well. Just saying "I'm sorry if I offended some people, it was not the intention and it came off very poorly." won't fucking kill you.

36 minutes ago, Migs said:

What possible procedure is required here other than, like, listening to the commentary while editing the show?

I mean it's a single line in a show. Sometimes you are just tying to catch umms and coughs and the context of the words aren't registering in your brain. And you are also dealing with video. It's a long and tedious process. I am also guessing if it's not Lagana doing it, it's probably interns or inexperienced people they are getting on the cheap. Lagana should be double checking the final product though. 

13 minutes ago, The Thread Killer said:

In the NWA thread I suggested Dutch Mantell.  I don't know if you ever heard him when he did color back in WCW after Turner bought JCP but before Bischoff came in, but he was great. Knowledgeable, and really funny.  He was also the Color Commentator on the infamous "Heroes of Wrestling" PPV back in 1999...not that it should be held against him.

GREAT idea!

I just hope he isn't considered "too Southern" for the expansion plans Billy and Lagana obviously have in mind.

1 hour ago, C.S. said:

1 hour ago, The Thread Killer said:

In the NWA thread I suggested Dutch Mantell.  

Another possibility I just thought of:

He's from Paducah, Kentucka, has over 40 years of experience in the "rasslin' bidness," and likes waffles and tire irons.

No idea how good Tony Falk would be in that position, or whether he'd want to travel from Kentucka to Atlanta, but I have to assume the NWA is doing something with him though (beyond just random weird commercials).