Pro Wrestling Only

AEW Full Gear

Stiva

5 minutes ago, Coffey said:

Jon Moxley literally dragging himself through broken glass to get to the rope instead of giving up to a submission might be the craziest thing I've ever seen in professional wrestling. If they don't book him from this point on as the baddest of bad motherfuckers, they're demented.

Agreed. That was an awesome visual. I was mildly annoyed though that Kenny already got to kick out of that lifting variant of Mox's finisher and I don't believe Kenny did his finisher, so Moxley didn't get to kick out of it.

Edit: But I'll get over it as long as they don't run a version of that dumb Triple H/Batista "You fear the pedigree!" storyline.

• Replies 246
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I doubt they're going to do this but I kinda hope they align MJF and Tully so you can have a reason for the friendship/turn and have a wider story about Tully getting Cody's old friends against him.

I also think that, to get around the no title matches stip, they should consider introducing a secondary title and letting Cody run with it in the way that Nakamura got the Intercontinental Title over in New Japan a few years back.

Very good show, but I didn't care for Mox/Omega. It felt like a highlight reel of CZW matches past peppered with Omega being his usual insufferable self. When Mox was on offense it was perfectly fine, when Omega was in control I was checking the clock. Not every match needs to go over 15-20 minutes, and I think it would have been better if Omega quit his stupid fucking "I'm a living anime character" routine and just did the fucking deal.

Kenny/Mox was... interesting. I mean, I can't say it was good because it was a forty minute deathmatch AND it featured many of Omega's NJPW main event bullshit.

However, it does spark up an interesting discussion of fans' perceptions and sensibilities. Of course all, or most of us in PWO saw more brutal and gruesome matches, with light tubes and whatnot. We didn't mind it much. A considerable portion of the crowd yesterday sure did mind the violence. Some seemed disgusted and not really entertained by it, and the fact that it kept going, and going and going sure didn't help.

Now, are superficial cuts with barbed wire and glass worse than a Phoenix Splash head first into wood? No. But visually speaking it might be more shocking and less appealing. Doing a deathmatch is not really the worst thing ever, but they can't be doing that everytime, and I do believe there are smarter ways of doing so. Like, Orton and Hardy had a pretty damn good hardcore match with memorable moments without resorting to barbed wire and blood.

Fans nowadays care about the wrestlers. They don't wanna see another KOTR '98, or another wrestler have their face explode like Eddie did against JBL. Nor they want to see wrestlers take idiotic bumps after what happened to Foley and Benoit. We know what CTE can do more than 20 years ago.

AEW really need a Sid or a Goldberg. It was apparent on this show. And by that I mean, just someone that can go out there & kill somebody. QUICKLY. A squash match or two would go a super long way on cards full of 20-minute spotfests. Even the AEW Dynamite show feels like they have way too much in-ring all the time. The best things they've done have been like the Cody promo, the Jericho vignette & the segment with Cody breaking the glass to get at the Inner Circle. All non-wrestling stuff. Give us a reason to buy into the characters & stories. 

They also need to establish finishes again. Kicking out of everything doesn't make you look tough, it makes the match look fake. Even worse, a lot of the finishes getting kicked out of that are supposed to be near falls were never established in AEW. So if you don't have knowledge about them from before AEW, it doesn't mean anything to you when it gets kicked out of. I'm not clamoring for a return to the 80's where the finishes are a reverse neckbreaker, fisherman's suplex & DDT... but the WWE epic style main events being the curtain jerk are a real problem in AEW. 

It was interesting to see the reactions to Mox/Omega from a generation that hasn't seen that on a national level before. Old heads like most of us remember bloody JCP matches or ECW plunderfests (or FMW you were a tape trader), but people used to the WWE style obvious rubber barbed wire and no blood cage matches all seemed horrified. 

Mind you that I have only seen tidbits of the show via Twitter GIFs and stuff like that but I was back home last night during the main event of Full Gear and by what I was reading from the feedback, the impression that I got is that Moxley really wanted to make that drastic separation from Dean Ambrose in WWE and revert fully back to the ultraviolent Jon Moxley of CZW days. It almost felt to me like Mox wanted to tell WWE: "Yo, guys, you held me back for so long so this is all the shit that I wanted to do forever and now I can do it"...I don't blame some people for feeling uncomfortable about that match. I've seen stuff that was much less violent than what Mox vs Omega seemed to be last night and I had that sinking feeling in my stomach that I didn't like where I saw kids cry hysterically and people leave the venue right in the middle of the match. This is something that AEW will really have to be careful about. You can't have another Lights Out Match in a short span after this one at Full Gear. I would legit wait about a year before doing another one.

I went to the show and did not see or hear a lot of negative reaction to Omega-Moxley in our section. There was a lot of, "Oh God, what are they going to do next?"  But they didn't lose the crowd, despite the length and the kickouts. Though it's not my favorite kind of wrestling, I appreciated  their commitment. They envisioned a particular kind of spectacle and went all in to create it. 

The show as a whole was quite good. My 10-year-old went with me at the last minute (I was not expecting to give him a crash intro to death matches, but so it goes), and though he's not hugely into wrestling, he stayed engaged for the entire four hours. 

21 minutes ago, SirEdger said:

Mind you that I have only seen tidbits of the show via Twitter GIFs and stuff like that but I was back home last night during the main event of Full Gear and by what I was reading from the feedback, the impression that I got is that Moxley really wanted to make that drastic separation from Dean Ambrose in WWE and revert fully back to the ultraviolent Jon Moxley of CZW days. It almost felt to me like Mox wanted to tell WWE: "Yo, guys, you held me back for so long so this is all the shit that I wanted to do forever and now I can do it"...I don't blame some people for feeling uncomfortable about that match. I've seen stuff that was much less violent than what Mox vs Omega seemed to be last night and I had that sinking feeling in my stomach that I didn't like where I saw kids cry hysterically and people leave the venue right in the middle of the match. This is something that AEW will really have to be careful about. You can't have another Lights Out Match in a short span after this one at Full Gear. I would legit wait about a year before doing another one.

That's a good point. Kids who supported Dean Ambrose definitely couldn't have enjoyed that character or match. Interesting to see what happens now with him going forward.

To be fair, the pre show hype video was all about Moxley talking about his CZW days and showing all the violent shit he did then, pretty much telling you this is what he was going to do that night. 

I agree that this kind of match should be like how Hell in a Cell used to be, the absolute last resort to a blood feud to end all. 

I think Kenny held it back, personally, for the same reason I don't like other would-be subversions of "fish out of water" stories: Kenny shouldn't have taken to the ultraviolence with such ease, let alone control nearly as much of the flow as he did. IMO, if Mox had introduced the plunder and deathmatch elements and Kenny managed to survive them before going off later down the stretch then it would have been much better. And if it was cut in half because jesus...not every fucking match needs to tease Broadway. 

“Amy... Amy... Emi... Goddamnit.”

JR is pathetic.

Really good show, other than his performance.  Shame Jungle Jack wasn’t on it.  I didn’t love the Omega/Moxley match but I liked seeing Omega try working that style of match.  I really loved the Bucks match (and of course Ricky & Robert).  I would also be fine with never seeing another Spears match on a PPV but at least Tully is there.  Also pretty jarring to see how weak Kazarian has gotten lately.  I hadn’t seen a ton of their stuff over the past couple years but it seems to me like he is blowing stuff left and right.  Cody/Jericho was fun and I am really looking forward to The Big Hurt vs Dustin when they get to it.  Of course MJF vs Cody will be terrific.

1 hour ago, sek69 said:

To be fair, the pre show hype video was all about Moxley talking about his CZW days and showing all the violent shit he did then, pretty much telling you this is what he was going to do that night. 

I agree that this kind of match should be like how Hell in a Cell used to be, the absolute last resort to a blood feud to end all. 

And to be fair, the promo aired that night, when the kids were presumably already in the building. I guess the takeaway is to pay attention to the storylines since they unsanctioned the match for a reason, because they thought he was dangerous.

4 minutes ago, SirEdger said:

And SCU vs Guevara & Jericho for the World Tag Team Titles....even though Jericho & Guevara aren't even in the rankings. Go figure.

That makes even less sense. Why would Jericho want the Tag belts?

I assume it's a decoy and he'll be replaced by Hager to set up a feud with the champs. 

Logically, it should be Santana & Ortiz challenging for those titles, not Guevara & Jericho. Like you, I assume we're getting a bait & switch on Wednesday, which I hope it's the case. I have no doubt that SCU vs Jericho/Guevara could be a good match but for a promotion priding itself of not bullshitting the fans, that's a bad start for the ranking system.