Pro Wrestling Only

AEW Full Gear

Stiva

• Replies 246
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

23 minutes ago, WingedEagle said:

If I can't/won't sit through BJW death matches should I make the time for Omega/Moxley or skip it entirely?

Personally I enjoyed the match, especially in the context of these two workers in particular closing out an 8 month long feud involving barbed wired weapons and glass table bumps. It's the overlong 3rd act of a Tarantino grindhouse. Not for everyone and certainly not required viewing. If that style of violence is an absolute turn off I would suggest doing something else for 40 minutes. And hopefully they're smart and use this gimmick sparingly from now on.

Just now, peachchaos said:

Personally I enjoyed the match, especially in the context of these two workers in particular closing out an 8 month long feud involving barbed wired weapons and glass table bumps. It's the overlong 3rd act of a Tarantino grindhouse. Not for everyone and certainly not required viewing. If that style of violence is an absolute turn off I would suggest doing something else for 40 minutes. And hopefully they're smart and use this gimmick sparingly from now on.

Sounds fair.  Perhaps I'll give it a shot and see if the mutilation turns me off.

1 minute ago, Alucard said:

No, but he was announced ahead of time as an entrant thus not a 'surprise entrant'.

You know what I mean though.

Your argument is as flawed as modern Castlevania games.

"The fans cared about Spears on multiple occasions in multiple environments and situations, but it doesn't count because of A, B, and C."

You're grasping at straws. 

4 minutes ago, C.S. said:

You know what I mean though.

Your argument is as flawed as modern Castlevania games.

"The fans cared about Spears on multiple occasions in multiple environments and situations, but it doesn't count because of A, B, and C."

You're grasping at straws.

No, I was looking for the "multiple" occasions, envirornments, and situations where he garnered a star reaction. I got one environment in NXT and one situation in a Rumble surprise. Contrast those reactions to Raw, Smackdown, and AEW.

You said Spears could at least garner a star reaction, implying that Pac could not, so I simply provided a time in which he did.

Pac is in the category with a guy like Arn or Benoit who will get over on their work rather than on their charisma. Which could be why his push as top contender maybe seems premature to a "new" audience. Page hasn't proven himself either and they've done nothing to highlight his appeal, so they're both sinking ships at the moment. 

Spears is closer to a good hand like Bob Holly (to pull a JR reference) and is going to be out of place in any push at this point. It really shows when they gimmick the lights and he gets no reaction when they come back on.

In fact, they really need to keep the lights on altogether, none of that is landing anymore. Major overkill. Spears, Brandy, the Daniels Jericho parody, the Lights Out Match itself (did they even gimmick the lights for this I don't remember)...overkill.

I'm gonna ruin my brand new AEW fanboy reputation on this board already...

As a show overall, I have enjoyed both Bound for Glory and the MLW PPV more than this. Despite this having (some) better matches.

Enjoyed Young Bucks vs Ortiz & Santana a whole lot. Like I predicted, Young Bucks are gonna put everyone over. Excellent match. Ricky Morton doing a Canadian Destroyer at the tender age of 65 is cool as hell.

Also enjoyed PAC vs Page a whole lot. I actually was thinking (and it's true) during that match I wouldn't mind a Best out of 7 matches between those two. Just terrific straight pro-wrestling with no bullshit. No idea where the dislike for either comes from. PAC is a great worker, Page is very good and coming around better.

Then I thought Spears vs Janella was an ok match. Pretty much agree about everything said about Spears before. He's a solid worker. Kinda boring version of Saturn. Tully Blanchard is wasted with him now that the Cody feud is over. Did I just see Tully do the fucking assisted piledriver ? Hope Janela is gonna feud with Sabian over his former partner, he really made the match.

The three-way was a disappointment of sorts, because of the stupid way these matches are worked. They tried to make the most sense out of the stupid "gotta tag out" rule, but it should really be 3 guys at the same time. Yeah, Kazarian is kinda scary doing some flips he can't really do great. Private Party looked spotty this time around. The diving sequence was awesome though. Lucha Brothers need to get near the top of the cards. Daniels cospl dressing up as Pentagon was kinda goofy and needless.

Loved, LOVED Riho vs Emi Sakura. I mean, Emi Sakura from FMW ? In 2019 ? On a PPV ? And she rules too. Nice Kodo Fuyuki tribute (kudos to Excalibur for catching it). Yeah, loved everything about this match. Hopefully they don't do Riho vs Baker next, because Baker ain't ready and Riho is over. Gimme Riho vs Shanna NOW !

Cody vs Jericho was quite the title match. Jericho is awesome. Cody has developed into a very good main event guy. Interesting finish. One could argue the turn was too quick, but then again, it was obvious since the beginning and MJF could not keep on being a babyface, really, as he never was.

The lights out match, well... I guess we should call that the Renee Young Special. Crazy and hilarious at points (the barbwire bats & broom, the crawling in glass), stupid and too slow at other points (mousetraps, heavy boring chain), way too fucking long too. The breaking down of the ring was a nice touch, maybe they'll do the LAX IMPACT match at some point, with the match happening entirely on the wood floor. Never boring despite the lenght, but nowhere close the best crazy-ass violent matches of Lucha Underground to me. Omega is awesome and isn't afraid of doing anything. Mox has quite an aura. 

So yeah. Some stuff I really loved, some stuff I felt underdelivered. Spears on PPV while Allin was sitting in the crowd was a bit of a WTF.

Two big issues that are basically the same : Tony Schiavone was missed badly. JR SUCKED. Like, he was terrible. Not Mauro terrible because he was not ruining the matches, but Mauro at least knows who the fuck he's taking about. JR was Drunk Solie bad. Although at some point, his total miscomprehension and disbelief of what he was watching was actually funny in a Bob-Caudle-listening-to-New-Jack-promos-in-SMW way. But yeah, JR was just plain bad. 

So there, to me the lesser of the big AEW shows thus far, despite mostly very good to excellent stuff.

35 minutes ago, El-P said:

Loved, LOVED Riho vs Emi Sakura. I mean, Emi Sakura from FMW ? In 2019 ? On a PPV ? And she rules too. Nice Kodo Fuyuki tribute (kudos to Excalibur for catching it). Yeah, loved everything about this match. Hopefully they don't do Riho vs Baker next, because Baker ain't ready and Riho is over. Gimme Riho vs Shanna NOW !

Co-signed on all that. Maybe my favorite match of the show since the predictable nature of the Cody/Jericho finish deflated me a bit. I don't think they'll go back to Riho/Britt since they just did it on week 3 last month, but that was of course Britt's best match and I loved the finish. I'm loving Riho more and more with each match so they've got me hoping for a long reign as champion. I'm guessing Kong will be her eventual endgame but the other challengers I'd love to see her face in the meantime. Shanna as you mentioned has been excellent and another match with Hikaru Shida with more build would have me excited. I also hope Emi Sakura sticks around as a semi-regular as she was great, her and Riho's finishing sequences were fantastic.

Honestly, I've seen enough super violent hardcore matches to see what actual barbwire and glass does to a human flesh. I'm not sure at all the glass nor the spider web were real. This wasn't a BJW of GCW match were the guys were bleeding from everywhere, at all (and good for them, not a criticism at all). Doesn't mean it was pleasant, but to me the most brutal stuff was the bumps on the wood. I mean, that was cringeworthy. That and the shots with wire on the bat/broom, which were definitely not gimmicked.

1 hour ago, El-P said:

Honestly, I've seen enough super violent hardcore matches to see what actual barbwire and glass does to a human flesh. I'm not sure at all the glass nor the spider web were real. This wasn't a BJW of GCW match were the guys were bleeding from everywhere, at all (and good for them, not a criticism at all). Doesn't mean it was pleasant, but to me the most brutal stuff was the bumps on the wood. I mean, that was cringeworthy. That and the shots with wire on the bat/broom, which were definitely not gimmicked.

True. Like I said, seeing someone take bumps on glass and barbed wire, even if they are gimmicked, can be more visually unpleasant than diving headfirst into wood - which was the most dangerous spot in the whole match, and also the least necessary given the context of it.

The broom shot was rough, too. Specially because it hit Ambrose in the neck/ear. 

They should study Onita matches. Wear thick shirts and jeans. The visuals of barbed wire getting stuck on pieces of clothing is more interesting than them tearing flesh.

12 hours ago, Coffey said:

I feel like we're going to be having this discussion all over again when Marty Scurll leaves ROH for AEW as well. 

Marty is most likely staying with ROH. Why there wasn't been much talk or posturing about going elsewhere. There's still lots of time for things to change and if is leaving we'll probably see that play out at the TV taping the night after ROH Final Battle as he needs to drop the six man titles.

28 minutes ago, C.S. said:

I feel no one is discussing the possibility of Marty Scurll ending up in the NWA. He and Nick Aldis are legitimately best friends, and they had a match for the NWA Worlds Heavyweight Title last year. 

Does the NWA really have the money to throw around to get someone like Scurll, who's badly needed by ROH and whom AEW and WWE will probably go after ? Scurll would be right at home with the rest of the Elite, hopefully that's where he ends up. I really enjoy his work, but ROh really isn't on my radar at all.

5 hours ago, rovert said:

Marty is most likely staying with ROH. Why there wasn't been much talk or posturing about going elsewhere. There's still lots of time for things to change and if is leaving we'll probably see that play out at the TV taping the night after ROH Final Battle as he needs to drop the six man titles.

I just don't see why he would stay since WWE and AEW (at least) will be making him offers, and even if Sinclair opens the wallet for him, ROH isn't setting the world on fire these days.