KawadaSmile

• Replies 178
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

1 hour ago, Rocco said:

Seth Rollins has to be the most insufferable babyface in a long long time.  

Some people wonder why WWE is doubling down on Seth, when it feels obvious to me. He used to feel like a Hunter guy, but his recent “blaming the dirt sheets and the fans for not liking the product” bullshit feels like it’s specifically designed to get on Vince’s good side. He’s being as obnoxious as Vince would be if he wasn’t restricted by stock holders.

1 hour ago, El Dragon said:

Some people wonder why WWE is doubling down on Seth, when it feels obvious to me. He used to feel like a Hunter guy, but his recent “blaming the dirt sheets and the fans for not liking the product” bullshit feels like it’s specifically designed to get on Vince’s good side. He’s being as obnoxious as Vince would be if he wasn’t restricted by stock holders.

Nearly every top guy (in this era) ends up being a direct mouthpiece for Vince at some point. The difference comes down to who does it well like Cena and who doesn't, like pretty much everyone else they've put in that spot. 

Even Cena has his moments, like the time he blasted the Rock for not staying in the WWE, and it sounded transparent that its Vince's words but came off looking like a jilted lover whining that his ex moved on. But yeah otherwise he's done well in the role. I think Reigns is doing well there as well. You don't really see him whine about stuff. 

Ever notice when WWE tries to make someone "the guy" anymore, all they do is basically say this dude's the guy now but they don't book him any better? Roman kept getting beat in big matches, and when he did win he'd lose immediately after.  Now Seth's "the guy" and they book him to be the most unlikable babyface ever when he's not cowering in fear. His finish doesn't even work anymore, then stomp went from insta-kill to something he needs to hit 5987 times a match to get a near fall. 

a 3 hour RAW is sort of an ordeal to make it through, and when there's no wrestling competition going up against RAW, they're sorta stuck between building to a match in the last 1/6th of the show, or trying to do that match earlier when the crowd is less dead.

On 11/11/2019 at 2:46 PM, KawadaSmile said:

Fuck, I'm sad that Sin Cara left. I mean, I'm one of three people here who actually enjoyed him, and he was being featured alongside Catalina. I hope they don't give up on her, because she's still a teen and has TONS of upside.

I've said they should just give the gimmick to somebody else. Catalina being around does present a reasonable storyline way to introduce a new Sin Cara. Like she can scout matches to find the new(est) Sin Cara. There's gotta be somebody who can fly who really doesn't have a lot of ways to get over in the WWE, right?

Or hell, bring Fuego to the WWE and let him do his current schtick while in the Sin Cara outfit.

- Just tried to get through that Lana promo. Eeesh. Its a chicken-and-the-egg scenario to me. What was worst - the awful, awful script or Lana's awful, awful delivery? I know people like to just say, "Well, its Wrestlecrap, so its supposed to be bad," but one of the core ideas behind the whole concept of Wrestlecrap is/was that these angles are supposed to generate fan interest and profit. That's why the fails are funny - they weren't designed to be fails. Hulk Hogan going to the Dungeon of Doom (where the water is not hot) was supposed to lead to record buyrates as the Hulkster tried to slay yet another huge monster. The purpose wasn't to create a meme 30 years later. 

This is the difference between a show like Tim & Eric (or the Eric Andre Show), where the sketches are poorly-acted and poorly-filmed and off-putting, as part of the "meta/anti-comedy." In pro-wrestling, or at least in good pro-wrestling, purposefully having talent perform poorly-written scripts is not going to achieve the goal of making me buy a ticket to see a show. Maybe there are fans who do enjoy this storyline, though, so I'm only speaking for myself. Still, objectively, the writing and delivery were garbage. (Like, is Lana explicitly told to refer to her boyfriend by his full name every.single.time she says it? Is that part of the "joke"? That Bobby Lashley is always referred to as Bobby Lashley while Rusev has no first name?)

- CM Punk being a talking head on a WWE Weekly Wrap-up Show is sorta interesting but not really? Kinda like if you went to go see Penn & Teller and all they did was talk about other people's tricks? Or, for the Rush fans out there, an "Evening With Neil Peart" where he plays absolutely no drums and just talks about other band's drummers? I'm sure CM Punk is going to deliver a bunch of pseudo "hot takes" (that will pale in comparison to what you can find here, on Reddit, on just about any podcast, etc.) and we'll have lots of wrestlers trying to score points off him by challenging him to get back in the ring, but with an in-ring return probably not in the cards currently, this development doesn't have me any more excited about the product than I was before. I'm as big a fan of CM Punk's promos as anyone and would love to hear him verbally tear down Seth Rollins or Baron Corbin or whoever in the build to a wrestling match. Hearing him shill for the WWE and pretend to be excited about WWE wrestling is not intriguing.

34 minutes ago, DMJ said:

- Just tried to get through that Lana promo. Eeesh. Its a chicken-and-the-egg scenario to me. What was worst - the awful, awful script or Lana's awful, awful delivery? (...) Still, objectively, the writing and delivery were garbage. (Like, is Lana explicitly told to refer to her boyfriend by his full name every.single.time she says it? Is that part of the "joke"? That Bobby Lashley is always referred to as Bobby Lashley while Rusev has no first name?)

I watched the Youtube clip. The script is rotten. The whole angle is awful, Lana is pictured as a slut, Rusev as a bitch (yeah, I wonder why...), Bobby Lashley as a guy who has a first and a last name. The delivery was awful too, but honestly, how do you even save something as poorly written as this ? I so wish Lana & Rusev would work elsewhere.

The thing about that Rusev/Lana/Lashley angle is that it's by far the one generating the most buzz. Every single segment reached the 2M views mark, and that can't just be morbid curiosity. Good or bad, right or wrong, they managed to generate interest in that. It's schlock, and it's sleazy. And yet, the crowds are losing their minds over it.

As for Punk, nothing seems more fitting than appearing in a late night show only doing commentary. I actually expect him to delivery some hot takes. I mean, Booker T is there and let's not forget he said Bayley couldn't talk for shit during one of their PPVs.

22 minutes ago, KawadaSmile said:

The thing about that Rusev/Lana/Lashley angle is that it's by far the one generating the most buzz. Every single segment reached the 2M views mark, and that can't just be morbid curiosity. Good or bad, right or wrong, they managed to generate interest in that. It's schlock, and it's sleazy. And yet, the crowds are losing their minds over it.

The Attitude era was the most successful and it was also 90% complete garbage, so…