Pro Wrestling Only

WWE TV 12/09 - 18/09 Cruzeiro got relegated! Fuck them!

KawadaSmile

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

On 12/13/2019 at 12:40 PM, sek69 said:

Steph's biggest mistake was saying the quiet part out loud. Nearly everything any big company does is an organized PR move, they just don't have CEOs who's daughters spill the beans in public. 

Whatever keeps her away from the creative department is fine with me. I'm fine with her being the person that takes credit for the Women's evolution and what ever charity as long as she's not thing writers room. Heck isn't she the reason for the current structure with all these hand full of writers that are from the outside. 

I think they do need writers to help write the shows. One of their best creative minds in their recent history was a writer named Chris Kreski. The problem is not the writers, it is that their skills are being applied in the wrong ways. They should be plotting storylines and character arcs and other things to create continuity and compelling TV, but they don't. That is all on Vince and a few others. The writers are just reduced to writing unnatural sounding promos full of Vince buzzwords and bad jokes and so forth, where that input isn't really needed.

I don't watch WWE any more, but I still follow along by reading recaps. Normally I just stay quiet... but... speaking of bad writing:

It seems that, this week, all of the following were used as reasons for a fight on SD:

- You gave our manager, who is vegan, a Christmas ham. For that: YOU WILL PAY.

- A guy who is supposedly funny and entertaining sang a song about having a threesome with myself and another female wrestler. While singing that song, he mentioned that my haircut makes me look like a dude. You laughed at that. Now, YOU WILL PAY.

Last week, you poured dog food all over me. This week you have tied another wrestler up in chains, and are threatening to pour dog food over him. Here I come to MAKE YOU PAY by pouring dog food on you!

Yikes.

Hopefully some of this came across better on TV than it did in recap form. I always read these threads and it sounds like people really enjoyed it when The Big Dog came out to beat everyone up after the Main Event was tossed out and turned into a tag match that ended in DQ. Was that in spite of or because of the dog food angle?

I have to imagine, though, that some of it came off even worse than it reads. Was I misreading things, or was this show really based around "don't give a vegan a ham" "don't laugh when other people make fun of my hair" and "don't pour dog food on me" angles?

And, the apparent subtext!! Are we suppose to hate Sammy because he doesn't eat ham like a normal person? Are we supposed to boo Bailey because she doesn't take the threesome stuff in good humour? If you think about it at all it becomes a million times worse. 

27 minutes ago, gordi said:

Hopefully some of this came across better on TV than it did in recap form. I always read these threads and it sounds like people really enjoyed it when The Big Dog came out to beat everyone up after the Main Event was tossed out and turned into a tag match that ended in DQ. Was that in spite of or because of the dog food angle?

I think it was because of the food angle. While it may have seemed like a poor choice, it was very effective in giving that feud the heat it needed, after lots of unsuccessful attempts. 

Like, Kofi was going to suffer the same fate as Roman did last week, and when the music played, the place went nuts. They did something effective with it, won't deny it.

We always give WWE a hard time for their builds, but I would say they've done quite a good job with some of the feuds going into TLC tomorrow.

• Roman/Corbin looks like it's going to be heated and a great match;
  • Kabuki Warriors were built like legit champs, getting over Charlotte Flair and beating Becky, also looking strong (specially Asuka) at Survivor Series weekend. 
  • Rusev/Lashley is the trashiest, sleaziest angle going on right now and one of the most absurd things they've booked, yet consistently gets huge reactions and people are booing the shit out of Lana and Lashley, and are supporting Rusev in ways we've never seen before. Every single line of his is met with sheer joy.
  • Black/Murphy also thankfully avoided the overused trope of people in a feud having some sort of singles/tag match before facing each other "for real". Really looking forward to it, as it might be a sleeper MOTYC, much like Black vs Cesaro was.
  • Miz/Bray could've been great, but the go-home segment was excellent. Wish they went for it better in past weeks, but yesterday they showed their work. Also that doll sparked more "Liv Morgan is Sister Abigal" rumours, and it's kinda sad.

I am (sincerely) glad to hear that it comes across better on TV because, in reading WWE recaps, the last few months of WWE TV (and particularly SD on FOX) come across as brutally terrible. 

Were the ham and threesome angles anywhere near as bad as they sounded?

3 minutes ago, gordi said:

The ham part I didn't catch, although Otis *did* get a huge reaction during his match.

As for the threesome angle it just sucked. I tend to hate segments where the face cracks comments in a way that doesn't really generate heat. Elias saying Bayley looked ugly, looked like a dude and that he would refure a threesome with Sasha and Bayley not only was pretty bad, but he did so without getting any comeuppance.

That doesn't help your Women's Champion, who needs steam. That doesn't help Elias, because the moment he wrestles, he's fucked. Not even helps Dana, although she does show more and more confidence in the ring.

Yeah, the subtext to that Elias/Bailey thing scanned as pretty nasty.

Otis really seems to be good at what he does. I will go out of my way to watch Heavy Machinery, Viking Machinery (or whatever), and particularly Keith Lee highlights on youtube or on the recap siates. Those guys are all a lot of fun to watch. 

3 hours ago, gordi said:

I am (sincerely) glad to hear that it comes across better on TV because, in reading WWE recaps, the last few months of WWE TV (and particularly SD on FOX) come across as brutally terrible. 

Smackdown has been pretty bad since the move to FOX. Raw has been pretty decent but nothing really special. Well I guess that depends what you think of the Lana/.Lashley/Rusev stuff

(well I should say the general consensus is that SD has been bad but a few here seem to enjoy it)

and yeah I'm surprised the backstage segment with Elias and Bayley isn't getting more attention. It was cringey

That's some Molly Holly levels of bad writing. Remember when Molly was the heel because she was a sexual prude & Trish was the babyface because she was promiscuous? Or was at least alleged to be or some shit. I remember they did an angle where Molly wore "Granny panties" instead of thongs like Trish, so she was ridiculed for that. :lol: I mean, you have to be super immersed in the WWE story to pretend that although Trish Stratus was super attractive, Molly Holly wasn't. Molly was always attractive too, so that stuff always felt like a miss to me. The same Molly that we were supposed to cheer & find adorable when she was with Spike Dudley. But I guess she was blonde then, so it's different! WWE loves blondes...

Bayley not attractive? C'mon, man. Look at her body. There's no one in that crowd that looks like that. But, well, Dana is blonde, so I guess Bayley looks like a dude. It's crazy. I get it's just supposed to be cheap heat. "Ha-Ha they're making fun of the heel!" But it's just so low brow & feels exceptionally dated in where our society is at now. Like, these aren't the crowds from the 70's.

These aren't the kind of segments you should be doing to get people to want to watch & buy-into the women's angles & stories. Bayley should have slapped him in the face after he said his line.

10 hours ago, gordi said:

Otis really seems to be good at what he does. I will go out of my way to watch Heavy Machinery, Viking Machinery (or whatever), and particularly Keith Lee highlights on youtube or on the recap siates. Those guys are all a lot of fun to watch. 

I knew Otis was the man when I saw a vid WWE posted where he bench pressed 100kg for 45 reps. Insane stuff.

look at that big boy go

The Bayley/Elias segment was terrible. It's one thing to say Bayley's haircut makes her look like she wants to speak to your manager. It does, and I imagine that's intentional with Bayley leaning into her role. But no one with good sense would think Bayley is ugly, haircut or not. Sadly, some fans are trying to push that narrative. Seeing WWE play into it is frustrating, to say the least.

I'm not sure what they're doing with Elias. He insults Bayley, and he implies he'll have sex with Drake Maverick's frustrated wife before spanking Maverick in the ring. Not only is Elias embarrassing others for no apparent reason, but he's using their intimate lives to do it. I guess it'll tie in with Dana Brooke, who's been onscreen with Elias for all this. But it's weird and as others mentioned, gets no one over.

The ham thing wasn't bad. Otis got Sami in the Secret Santa draw was the setup. Otis gets Sami a baked ham, because who doesn't like ham? But Sami is rightfully offended because he's vegan. It showed Otis as an impulsive but well-meaning guy, and his apology to Sami seemed 100% sincere. Otis is written as a bit of a lug, but he's got a good heart and having Sami/Nakamura/Cesaro get decent heat on what could have been a throwaway backstage segment worked fine. And Otis is super popular, no question about it.

The dog food bit may seem OTT, but it's an old-school trope that worked with Roman and Corbin. Folks were UPSET at Corbin, and ready to beat his ass. It revved up the feud, so mission accomplished.

I think they've done a decent job building TLC. It's a weird-feeling show, but the big matches all have stories behind them. It'll be interesting to see it unfold tonight.

2 hours ago, Al said:

Christ. Give that man all the Mandy Rose!

He reminds me of a more talented Mighty Igor, which 50 years ago was a star.

Yes! I was trying to remember who he reminded me of, that was it! Dude has ridiculous amounts of charisma and is the best part of any segment he's in. 

My only issue is how WWE seems to want to go the "ha ha, look at the fat guy do funny stuff" route when he should be exactly what Steaks and Weights implies: a crazy strong dude where the only reason he's not ripped is because he likes to eat meat.

5 hours ago, Al said:

Christ. Give that man all the Mandy Rose!

He reminds me of a more talented Mighty Igor, which 50 years ago was a star.

It would be a nice change of pace/surprise if WWE did actually put Mandy Rose with him. Like actually have Mandy look like she's charmed by the big galoot. 

Before he was shit canned, I was hoping they were going to pull the trigger on Enzo & Nia Jax too. I think the odd couple stuff works. Especially if they play it sincere, not like the hot one is secretly exploiting the other.

The Lana/Rusev/Lashley angle is not bad because Rusev has consistently been over with the audience to some degree for a long time, even when they intend for him not to and Lashley finally gets a chance to show personality that he never got the chance in WWE. Atleast one of them win Vince over and get a main event program.

Otis too. He is unexplainably over, He kinda reminds me of when Fatu started the Rikishi gimmick, I believe he started as a heel teaming with Viscera a few times before they put him with Too Cool as a Babyface. He was over a fuck, he was facing Hunter for the title with in a month.