Pro Wrestling Only

WWE TV 1/6/20-1/12/20: At least 2019 is finally over

Ricky Jackson

4 hours ago, sek69 said:

I'm not as hard on WWE as some are (I've come to terms with "It Is What It Is" at this point), but the thought of Wrestlemania being main evented by Brock vs Some Real Fighter Guy is kind of soul crushing. 

WWE will never come close to achieving the potential their roster has if they don't create new stars, but it's clear at this point Vince will never allow that since he cannot stand when his guys leave to be bigger stars outside of his control.

There is a perverse amusement to seeing Vince turning into Inoki though

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

✌
5 hours ago, sek69 said:

I'm not as hard on WWE as some are (I've come to terms with "It Is What It Is" at this point), but the thought of Wrestlemania being main evented by Brock vs Some Real Fighter Guy is kind of soul crushing. 

WWE will never come close to achieving the potential their roster has if they don't create new stars, but it's clear at this point Vince will never allow that since he cannot stand when his guys leave to be bigger stars outside of his control.

No one get too carried away with this. But I've heard WWE is trying to bring back absolutely everyone. Or was around a month ago. In-ring matches with Austin, Rock, CM Punk and everyone you can think of. John Cena is rumoured to have said he wants to do something substantial on the show. Also obviously Edge is coming to the ring in some capacity. Not a forum favourite but his return match should be a pretty big deal. 

I personally expect and wishful thinking wise we are getting Austin & Rock vs Reigns & Cena, CM Punk vs Daniel Bryan and Becky Lynch vs Ronda Rousey. 

WWE really does need to bring back the real stars for the FOX ratings given what FOX is paying them. Wrestling being cool again even briefly should help the XFL indirectly too. 

Something has to be up as normally we would have a strong working idea what the Wrestlemania card is at this stage.

This has just been posted too:

Over the weekend, PWInsider.com reported that WWE would return to Saudi Arabia on Thursday 2/20.

WWE sources have since indicated to PWInsidercom that preliminary date has been moved to the following week, Thursday 2/27.

Another reason why I believe they are going the direction of bringing every part-timer they can find back for Wrestlemania season is that a lot of the full-time roster probably won't go back to Saudi after what happened last time. And in general, part-timers seem to have fewer qualms about taking Saudi blood money than younger wrestlers do.

Wrestlekingdom was intensely memorable, but not just because the wrestling was amazing. It was also because all the wrestlers and their characters, motivations and stories had been built and the fans cared about them. When Okada made his entrance on the first night, the roof blew off. I don't think I have ever heard a reaction like that in a dome/stadium - where noise dissipates more - in the last 15 years. At that point, he could have had a 10 minute sprint and the fans would have still gone apeshit. 

Meanwhile, NXT last week had a couple of excellent matches and I don't think they will be even focused on tomorrow because every show on TV has multiple excellent matches.

4 minutes ago, NintendoLogic said:

For Pete's sake, Cena is not one of the three greatest mic workers of all time or even in WWE history. He's had his moments to be sure, but his actively bad promos far outnumber his great ones.

He is pretty good at making crap WWE verbiage work, which makes him look like Dusty in his prime compared to most of today's WWE. 

- I'm expecting Edge to be announced for an ultra-safe match at the next Saudi show. I don't think he's coming back for a long run considering the risk, but if you believe the rumors, guys like HBK and Taker were getting anywhere from $500k to $2m for their Saudi appearances. For $300k-$500k, for one night of work in a well-rehearsed match against a safe, trust-worthy opponent, and basically no big bumps, I think its too good for Edge to pass up. WrestleMania pay-offs are nowhere near that - which is why Shawn hasn't come back.

- Austin and The Rock still seem like longshots to be in full programs and unless they are permanently done with Roman Reigns being a top babyface, putting Reigns against them would be the dumbest move possible. I tend to think Reigns will be facing Wyatt, but if they do go with a special tag match for him, I'd expect he'll be paired with the bigger, more popular stars rather than against them. Maybe Rock & Reigns vs. Corbin & Co.? I mean, that feud has another 3 months in it, right?

28 minutes ago, DMJ said:

- I'm expecting Edge to be announced for an ultra-safe match at the next Saudi show. I don't think he's coming back for a long run considering the risk, but if you believe the rumors, guys like HBK and Taker were getting anywhere from $500k to $2m for their Saudi appearances. For $300k-$500k, for one night of work in a well-rehearsed match against a safe, trust-worthy opponent, and basically no big bumps, I think its too good for Edge to pass up. WrestleMania pay-offs are nowhere near that - which is why Shawn hasn't come back.

- Austin and The Rock still seem like longshots to be in full programs and unless they are permanently done with Roman Reigns being a top babyface, putting Reigns against them would be the dumbest move possible. I tend to think Reigns will be facing Wyatt, but if they do go with a special tag match for him, I'd expect he'll be paired with the bigger, more popular stars rather than against them. Maybe Rock & Reigns vs. Corbin & Co.? I mean, that feud has another 3 months in it, right?

Jesus, that would be so typical of modern day Vince to waste a Rock match on Corbin of all people

It would be typical but it's not like the seeds haven't been planted, all the way back to the premiere on FOX when The Rock eviscerated Corbin on the mic. What would be worst would be to insert Rock in a multi-men tag match with Roman & The Usos against Corbin, Ziggler, Roode and somebody else (I was thinking The Revival but that would mean an extra partner for the Bloodline).

As for Edge, I don't know if I see him accepting to do a Saudi show, even for that payday. I'd like to think that Edge would want a one-time deal to be more significant, considering the way that  he had to retire. A program a bit similar to the one HBK had with Triple H when he returned in 2002 and when we thought it would be just for one night.

I've not seen NXT for a while, so I've put it on while I clean the beer lines in the pub. 

My take away thus far is that the opening segment made me angry. Pillmanizing the ankle should be death, not a hobble. I loved the tag team match until during its vinegar strokes a "tag team wrestling" chant took me out of the moment. Great to see two fellow sheep shaggers do Wales well on telly though. 

6 hours ago, ButchReedMark said:

NXT is anti-Welsh. 

I do wonder how much better NXT UK would be if ICW's hot spell hadn't convinced Triple H that building the title scene extensively around Scottish wrestlers was a good idea, and instead had concentrated on the Welsh scene instead. I've definitely seen Big Grizzly have a better match with Walter than Joe Coffey did at the weekend.