Pro Wrestling Only
Sign in to follow this  
legace

Which Countries Have Known Pre-1970 Pro-Wrestling Footage?

UPDATE: The latest country that has known pre-1970 footage is.....Mexico! I've added it to the list in the first post. I've also removed the small list of countries that might have survivng TV footage from before the year 1970 that was towards the bottom of the first post apart from Brazil which I'm still not sure about.

Obviously I'd known for a while that lucha footage from before the year 1970 existed, but I wasn't 100% sure or not if there are only clips floating around or actual TV footage, however, last night whilst browsing youtube I came across this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LyMGlyMgSyQ&fbclid=IwAR3K3vjljnhI4f8QMhxoImZGQJVqqjTgEf99oqtA8aajpxu_yKpRP7vVdMQ

It's Rene Guajardo & Espanto Segundo -vs- Black Shadow & Rolando Vera from 1966, it's joined in progress but has the last 7 minutes of the match without interuption and appears to have been taken from a TV show. This is the most complete pre-1970 lucha footage I've ever seen.

There's a complete match in the 1962 film Santo vs. las Mujeres Vampiro. It was done specifically for the movie, but it appears to be an actual worked wrestling match and not choreographed beforehand. From what I've seen so far, 60s lucha looks awesome. Lots of gritty brawling.

19 hours ago, NintendoLogic said:

There's a complete match in the 1962 film Santo vs. las Mujeres Vampiro. It was done specifically for the movie, but it appears to be an actual worked wrestling match and not choreographed beforehand. From what I've seen so far, 60s lucha looks awesome. Lots of gritty brawling.

That's pretty cool, I didn't know that. I still wouldn't count it as a proper match though since it isn't part of a show or anything in the traditional sense.

It seems significant to me that the lucha footage is from Monterrey. I imagine there was some lucha on TV outside of Mexico City from 1956 onward, just as there was in the 1980s, but who knows how much? I have read that when lucha began being broadcast on TV in the 1950s, it was popular that it was on television four times a week. But that only lasted a few years until it was banned from television. 

On 2/3/2020 at 2:05 PM, ohtani's jacket said:

It seems significant to me that the lucha footage is from Monterrey. I imagine there was some lucha on TV outside of Mexico City from 1956 onward, just as there was in the 1980s, but who knows how much? I have read that when lucha began being broadcast on TV in the 1950s, it was popular that it was on television four times a week. But that only lasted a few years until it was banned from television. 

Yeah I've been told there was lucha on TV outside of Mexico City, don't know how long it lasted for though. It was shown in Los Angeles in the 1960s also. Still it's heartening to know that some TV from that period does exist.

UPDATE:

Several updates actually.

I've decided to remove Iraq from the list of countries in the first post, I believe the 3 matches that are known to exist, that I originally thought were from the late 1960s, are more likely from the very early 1970s, therefore they don't actually fit the criteria of this topic.

Secondly, I've removed the word "Africa" from next to "Rhodesia" and placed the latter in the "R" section.

Lastly, the latest country added to the list in the first post is South Africa.

23 hours ago, ohtani's jacket said:

One of the dates on YouTube for a Campbell match is 3/19/70.

That fits the timeline of Al-Kaissie returning to Iraq in 1969. 

I actually noticed that myself, on that same video in the comments someone is claiming the year is wrong and that it's actually from 1971, so I dunno which is the correct year.

22 hours ago, elliott said:

Thank you all for this thread! It's really cool! Great work, everyone!

You're very much welcome!