Pro Wrestling Only
Sign in to follow this  
legace

Which Countries Have Surviving Pre-1970 Pro-Wrestling Footage?

On 2/3/2020 at 2:05 PM, ohtani's jacket said:

It seems significant to me that the lucha footage is from Monterrey. I imagine there was some lucha on TV outside of Mexico City from 1956 onward, just as there was in the 1980s, but who knows how much? I have read that when lucha began being broadcast on TV in the 1950s, it was popular that it was on television four times a week. But that only lasted a few years until it was banned from television. 

Yeah I've been told before that there was lucha libre on TV outside of Mexico City pre-1970, I don't know how long it lasted for though. It was shown in Los Angeles in the 1960s also. Still it's heartening to know that some TV from that period does exist.

UPDATE: I've decided to remove Iraq from the list of countries in the first post. I believe the three matches that are known to exist that I originally thought were from the late 1960s are more likely from the very early 1970s therefore they don't actually fit the criteria of this topic.

On 2/14/2020 at 10:21 PM, ohtani's jacket said:

One of the dates on YouTube for a Campbell match is 3/19/70.

That fits the timeline of Al-Kaissie returning to Iraq in 1969. 

I actually noticed that myself. On that same video in the comments section someone is claiming that year is wrong too and that it's actually from 1971 so I dunno which is the correct year.

On 2/14/2020 at 10:58 PM, elliott said:

Thank you all for this thread! It's really cool! Great work, everyone!

You're very much welcome!

Re: Australia,

There IS a film archive there. And if you look here, it looks like they have 9 episodes from the 60s, at least:

http://colsearch.nfsa.gov.au/nfsa/search/display/display.w3p;page=2;query=wrestling Media%3A"Television" Category%3A"Sport";rec=6;resCount=10

I just don't think we can get our hands on it.

(Also a bunch of 60s World Championship Wrestling maybe?): http://colsearch.nfsa.gov.au/nfsa/search/summary/summary.w3p;page=4;query=wrestling Media%3A"Television" Category%3A"Sport";querytype=Category%3ASport;resCount=10

[TOP TELEVISION WRESTLING : DOCUMENTATION]   Production company: ATN 7 (Television Station : Sydney)
Media: Documentation   Produced as: Series

TOP TELEVISION WRESTLING. EP. 06, 1962.09.19   (1991)   Production company: ATN 7 (Television Station : Sydney)
In match no. 01 John Devertakis weighing 215 pounds is contesting against Ron Fury weighing 225 pounds. In match no. 02 Paul Vashcon weighing 248 pounds is contesting against Johnnie Apollo weighing ... ( more )
Media: Television   Produced as: Series

TOP TELEVISION WRESTLING. MATCH NO. 01, 1962.07.24   (1962)   Production company: ATN 7 (Television Station : Sydney)
In contest no. 01 The Zebra Kid weighing 337 pounds is wrestling against Dale Lewis weighing 239 pounds. In contest no 02 Paul Vaschon weighing 240 pounds is wrestling against Salvatori Saviolli ... ( more )

TOP TELEVISION WRESTLING. MATCH NO. 02, 1962.07.24   (1962)   Production company: ATN 7 (Television Station : Sydney)
Two matches shown 1. Dale Lewis (Wisconsin) Verses Paul Vachon (the Lumberjack from Vancover 2. Salvatori Saviolli Verses the Zebra Kid Commentators : Ray Connelly and Dick Raines

TOP TELEVISION WRESTLING. MATCH NO. 03, 1962.08.07   (1962)   Production company: ATN 7 (Television Station : Sydney)
Two matches shown. 1. Bruce Milne (Australia) Verses Salvitori Saviolli (Italy) 2. Johnnie Apollo (Greece) verses Ron Fury (Australia) Referee Ron Hanson Commentators Ray Connelly and Dick Raines

TOP TELEVISION WRESTLING. MATCH NO. 04, 1962.08.07   (1962)   Production company: HSV 7 (Television Station : Melbourne, Vic.)   ... ( more )
Two matches shown. 1. Bruce Millner Verses Paul Vachon (the Lumberjack from Vancover, Canada 2. The Zebra Kid (Ohio) Verses Johnnie Apollo (Greece) Commentators : Ray Connelly and Dick ... ( more )

TOP TELEVISION WRESTLING. MATCH NO. 05, 1962.08.21   (1962)   Production company: ATN 7 (Television Station : Sydney)
Tag team wrestling match. Murray Weideman (Aust) and Salvatori Saviolli (Italy)verses The Zebra Kid and Paul Vachon. Commentators : Dick raines and Ray Connelly

TOP TELEVISION WRESTLING. MATCH NO. 06, 1962.08.21   (1962)   Production company: ATN 7 (Television Station : Sydney)
A tag wrestling match. Johnnie Apollo (Greece) and Nicoli Zagona (Bulgaria) verses Murray Weideman (Aust) and Paul Vachon (Canada) Commentators : Dick Raines and Ray Connelly

TOP TELEVISION WRESTLING. MATCH NO. 07, 1962.09.06   (1962)   Production company: ATN 7 (Television Station : Sydney)
Wrestling Tag match between The Zebra Kid and Paul Vachon verses Johnnie Apollo and Salvatori Saviolli The match ends in a draw. Commentators Dick Raines and Ray Connelly Referee Ron Hanson

On 3/18/2020 at 2:16 AM, Matt D said:

Re: Australia,

There IS a film archive there. And if you look here, it looks like they have 9 episodes from the 60s, at least:

http://colsearch.nfsa.gov.au/nfsa/search/display/display.w3p;page=2;query=wrestling Media%3A"Television" Category%3A"Sport";rec=6;resCount=10

I just don't think we can get our hands on it.

(Also a bunch of 60s World Championship Wrestling maybe?): http://colsearch.nfsa.gov.au/nfsa/search/summary/summary.w3p;page=4;query=wrestling Media%3A"Television" Category%3A"Sport";querytype=Category%3ASport;resCount=10

Hide contents
[TOP TELEVISION WRESTLING : DOCUMENTATION]   Production company: ATN 7 (Television Station : Sydney)
Media: Documentation   Produced as: Series

TOP TELEVISION WRESTLING. EP. 06, 1962.09.19   (1991)   Production company: ATN 7 (Television Station : Sydney)
In match no. 01 John Devertakis weighing 215 pounds is contesting against Ron Fury weighing 225 pounds. In match no. 02 Paul Vashcon weighing 248 pounds is contesting against Johnnie Apollo weighing ... ( more )

TOP TELEVISION WRESTLING. MATCH NO. 01, 1962.07.24   (1962)   Production company: ATN 7 (Television Station : Sydney)
In contest no. 01 The Zebra Kid weighing 337 pounds is wrestling against Dale Lewis weighing 239 pounds. In contest no 02 Paul Vaschon weighing 240 pounds is wrestling against Salvatori Saviolli ... ( more )

TOP TELEVISION WRESTLING. MATCH NO. 02, 1962.07.24   (1962)   Production company: ATN 7 (Television Station : Sydney)
Two matches shown 1. Dale Lewis (Wisconsin) Verses Paul Vachon (the Lumberjack from Vancover 2. Salvatori Saviolli Verses the Zebra Kid Commentators : Ray Connelly and Dick Raines

TOP TELEVISION WRESTLING. MATCH NO. 03, 1962.08.07   (1962)   Production company: ATN 7 (Television Station : Sydney)
Two matches shown. 1. Bruce Milne (Australia) Verses Salvitori Saviolli (Italy) 2. Johnnie Apollo (Greece) verses Ron Fury (Australia) Referee Ron Hanson Commentators Ray Connelly and Dick Raines

TOP TELEVISION WRESTLING. MATCH NO. 04, 1962.08.07   (1962)   Production company: HSV 7 (Television Station : Melbourne, Vic.)   ... ( more )
Two matches shown. 1. Bruce Millner Verses Paul Vachon (the Lumberjack from Vancover, Canada 2. The Zebra Kid (Ohio) Verses Johnnie Apollo (Greece) Commentators : Ray Connelly and Dick ... ( more )

TOP TELEVISION WRESTLING. MATCH NO. 05, 1962.08.21   (1962)   Production company: ATN 7 (Television Station : Sydney)
Tag team wrestling match. Murray Weideman (Aust) and Salvatori Saviolli (Italy)verses The Zebra Kid and Paul Vachon. Commentators : Dick raines and Ray Connelly

TOP TELEVISION WRESTLING. MATCH NO. 06, 1962.08.21   (1962)   Production company: ATN 7 (Television Station : Sydney)
A tag wrestling match. Johnnie Apollo (Greece) and Nicoli Zagona (Bulgaria) verses Murray Weideman (Aust) and Paul Vachon (Canada) Commentators : Dick Raines and Ray Connelly

TOP TELEVISION WRESTLING. MATCH NO. 07, 1962.09.06   (1962)   Production company: ATN 7 (Television Station : Sydney)
Wrestling Tag match between The Zebra Kid and Paul Vachon verses Johnnie Apollo and Salvatori Saviolli The match ends in a draw. Commentators Dick Raines and Ray Connelly Referee Ron Hanson

Wow! Thanks for posting this Matt. I'm fairly sure the World Championship Wrestling stuff is already out there although I could be wrong. The other stuff pre-dates WCW though, there are several of those matches out there already too but not all of them that I'm aware of. I've got a contact in Australia who may be able to help us, leave it with me.

8 minutes ago, legace said:

Wow! Thanks for posting this Matt. I'm fairly sure the World Championship Wrestling stuff is already out there although I could be wrong. The other stuff pre-dates WCW though, there are several of those matches out there already too but not all of them that I'm aware of. I've got a contact in Australia who may be able to help us, leave it with me.

Hey, great. There could be other things in that archive too. I just gave it a few cursory searches to see what I could find. There are probably a few more national archives out there to mine (I found that one through: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_film_archives but nothing else jumped out immediately).

On 3/20/2020 at 11:50 PM, Matt D said:

Hey, great. There could be other things in that archive too. I just gave it a few cursory searches to see what I could find. There are probably a few more national archives out there to mine (I found that one through: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_film_archives but nothing else jumped out immediately).

I never actually thought of searching for film archives from each country, that's a great idea! Who knows what could be unearthed by doing that?!

On 5/2/2020 at 1:54 PM, ohtani's jacket said:

Spain only has newsreel clips. I have been watching them the past few days. Some are silent and some have sound. 

Thanks for the info OJ. I've now added newsreel clips next to Spain in the list of countries in the first post.

UPDATE: I've made a change next to Argentina in the list of countries in the first post. I'd put in error that there are survivng filmreel clips, it's actually newsreel clips that I'm aware of existing.

UPDATE: The latest additions to the list in the first post are Bolivia and Colombia.

Also I've removed Sweden from the list. The footage that I was told is Swedish is actually Finnish so Sweden no longer fits the criteria of the topic.

UPDATE: Several updates actually.

Firstly, I've removed filmreel clips from next to Austria in the list of countries in the first post. I'd put in error that there is that type of Austrian footage in existence, technically there is, but the footage is of shoot-wrestling which doesn't fit the criteria of this topic, hence why I've removed it.

Secondly, a board member thought it would be a good idea for me to explain what each type of surviving footage actually means since I'll be adding those next to each country in the list too as I go along, and since not everybody knows what, for example, the difference between a filmreel and a newsreel is, so, I've put a key above the list which hopefully will do just that.

And lastly, the latest addition to the list in the first post is Denmark.

On 7/13/2020 at 1:48 PM, ohtani's jacket said:

What footage is there from Belgium?

I haven't actually had a chance to have a proper look at it myself yet but here's all the pre-1970 footage I'm aware of from Belgium (credit Phil Lions):

(01) Charles Rigoulot -vs- ??? (1943).

LINK - https://www.rtve.es/filmoteca/no-do/not-31/1467406/ (wrestling footage begins at 4:04).

(02) Stan Karolyi -vs- Albert Arnaud (1944).

LINK - https://www.rtve.es/filmoteca/no-do/not-60/1468400/ (wrestling footage begins at 4:20).

(03) ??? -vs- ??? (1944).

LINK - https://www.rtve.es/filmoteca/no-do/not-88/1468658/ (wrestling footage begins at 2:38).

It's crazy how many of the holds and sequences we saw in the 1950s French footage were already in place at this point. They even had a stupid swimming pool gimmick match. Outstanding.

13 hours ago, Jetlag said:

It's crazy how many of the holds and sequences we saw in the 1950s French footage were already in place at this point. They even had a stupid swimming pool gimmick match. Outstanding.

Funny how it wasn't that long ago many of us fans didn't even know French Catch was a thing, let alone that the French were so good at it. It seems European wrestling was well ahead of the pack when it comes to innovations in the industry.

UPDATE: Firstly, I've made several changes to the key in the first post. I've decided to remove silent filmreel clips, newsreel clips with subtitles, silent newsreel clips and silent newsreel clips with subtitles as footage types from it. From now on, to make things more simple, any filmreel clips I become aware of, regardless of the type, will just be known simply as filmreel clips. Similarly, any newsreel clips I become aware of, regardless of the type, will just be known simply as newsreel clips. As well as that I've actually added a new footage type to the key too: documentary clips.

And secondly, with all that in mind, I've removed newsreel clips with subtitles and silent newsreel clips with subtitles from next to Argentina in the list in the first post but left newsreel clips which covers what I took away there. I've removed silent filmreel clips and silent newsreel clips from next to Australia but left filmreel clips and newsreel clips which covers what I took away there. I've added documentary clips next to Austria. And I've removed silent filmreel clips from next to Canada but left filmreel clips which covers what I took away there.