Pro Wrestling Only
Sign in to follow this  
kevinmcfl

National Wrestling Alliance

pxLV65Y.png?1

Taped every Friday Night and aired to local affiliates throughout the Central time zone throughout the weekend and broadcast across the United States every Sunday Night at 6:05 PM Eastern Time on the Superstation WTBS, the North American Wrestling Alliance proudly presents Power Pro Wrestling, coming to you this week from the Tulsa Civic Center in Tulsa, Oklahoma

BhI95rG.png?4

Jim Ross:  Hello everybody and welcome to the first every edition of Power Pro Wrestling, a National Wrestling Alliance production.  That’s right folks. The NWA is back!   So much has changed over the past few weeks so let me Cowboy Bill Watts to shed some light on the situation. 

Cowboy Bill Watts:  Thank you Jim.  Boy, you said a mouth full. The NWA is Back!  Bob Geigel, Ted Turner and myself have partnered to bring the best wrestlers into the homes of all the great fans each and every week.  We know that the past year has been tough on the NWA but we are coming out with a bang!  Saturday, January 31 in Kiel Auditorium there will be a one night 16-man, single elimination, tournament to crown the new NWA World Champion!  And that is not all… the winner gets a cool $100,000!

Jim Ross:  Wow, that is huge news. 

Cowboy Bill Watts:  Wrestlers from all over the World have been trying to get into this tournament.  In fact, we have had so many people want in, that they will be one round of qualifying matches which will begin today right here on TV.  If you win, you are in!

Jim Ross:  I can’t wait!  Right after this break we will get to the action and you won’t belief who is here…. Hulk Hogan   

COMMERCIAL

MATCH:  Hulk Hogan vs Greg Valentine with Bobby Heenan   

It is obvious the NWA is trying to make a splash here as they have put two of the biggest names in the industry In A Win To Get In Match on National TV.  As for the match, we have seen Hogan’s matches and then all seem to follow the same script.  Hogan takes the early lead and then Heenan gets involved and we see the momentum swing to Valentine.  Valentine comes within inches of winning it several times and then Hogan begins his “No Selling” comeback. 

Jim Ross:  Hogan with a huge Ax Handle Smash.  Whoah….hold on a minute…. That is Bad News Allen rushing to the ring.  Hogan lets the fans know he is going for the Big Leg Drop.  Hogan hits the ropes…  Bawd Gawd … Allen has grabbed the leg of Hogan and he trips to the canvass.

The ref goes to admonish Allen and Heenan comes to the rescue and the three go into a war of words. As this is going on, the crowd gasps as Honky Tonk Man comes out from under the ring and comes in the ring with his guitar!

SMASH…. HTM clobbers Hogan and Allen and Heenan simply walk away from the ref who turns around and sees The Hammer on top of Hogan! 

1…2…3.

Jim Ross:  I can’t believe what I just saw.  Bobby Heenan and the Family just stole one from the Hulkster! 

Heenan and his stable come over to the interview desk where they are all smiles.

Bobby Heenan:  It has been over a year sense I saw Hulk Hogan and we just thought we would play a little chin music for the “Former AWA” champion.

Jim Ross:  So, you admit to cheating?

Bobby Heenan:  We never admit to anything.  Just like you never admit to eating the last donut Jim Ross!  Win and Move on was the instructions and Greg “the Hammer” Valentine is moving on!

Commercial

As we come out of break, we see “Nature Boy” Roger Kirby at the interview desk.

Roger Kirby:  Well this tournament is just a formality.  I mean with the tournament being in St. Louis, a place I have never lost, you might as well hand me the title.

Jim Ross:  Are you sure you never lost in St. Louis

Roger Kirby:  Would I have any reason to lie.  I am the Nature Boy… the best there ever was, the best there is and the best there ever will be.  I am a legend in the Show Me State and tonight I will show all you uneducated folk down here in Oklahoma what a real champion looks like!

All of a sudden, Dr, Death Steve Williams comes out and simply says that it is time for an Oklahoma legend to Show a Missouri has-been what a real beating looks like.

MATCH: 

Steve “Dr. Death” Williams vs “The Nature Boy”

One collar and elbow tie up and Kirby feels the power from Dr. Death as the Oklahoma crowd goes wild as their Sooner hero tosses the arrogant Kirby halfway across the ring.  Kirby now does a great job of playing the frightened heel and uses the ref as a shield.  It works as he is able to hit a lowblow on Dr. Death.  This gave Kirby the momentum for a minute or two, but it only served to anger Williams. Once Dr. Death recouped, he hit Kirby with a huge football tackle that nearly split Kirby in two.  Dr. Death got the easy pin as Jim Ross announces we now have our second entry into the tournament. 

ShSo9nu.png?4

Dr. Death breaks out in a little Boomer Sooner song and the Oklahoma crowd loves it and joins in! 

Commercial

When we come out of break, we here a little moan come out of Cowboy Bill Watts

Bill Watts:  I had a bad feeling you would show up here in the NWA… what can we do for you little man!

Jim Cornette:  Watch your mouth Watts.  My mother’s lawyers are just waiting to sue an oversized, fat bully like yourself.

Bill Watts:  Here we go again…Ok Mamma’s Boy.  What can we do for you?

Jim Cornette:  That’s better.  I deserve to be treated with respect around here.  I am out here because I have a bone to pick with you… that is, if you didn’t eat all the bones.

Bill Watts:  Move on Cornette or move out!

Jim Cornette:  Ok… this World Champions Tournament is all well and good but you what about the tag teams.  Where is our tournament?  I mean I know my team, The Midnight Express, is the greatest tag team in the world today and my mother’s lawyers feel you are not hosting a tag team tournament because you do want to see me win the gold.  That is discrimination and the lawyers are drawing up the papers as we speak.

Bill Watts:  Not because I am afraid of your mother’s lawyers or because I want to appease you, you little midget but I was going to announce that we will be crowning new tag team champions next month and their will be more information on that next week.

Jim Cornette:  Well let me introduce you and all these unworthy fans here in Tulsa to the greatest tag team in the World today…. The Midnight Express

The techno music plays as Cornette heads to the ring with Dennis Condrey and Bobby Eaton

MATCH:  The Midnight Express defeats Bubba Dickerson & Billy Bob Bradley as Eaton hit the Alabama Jammer on Dickerson!

Jim Ross:  Man, I can’t stand that Cornette but the Midnight Express is the real deal!

COMMERCIAL

MATCH:  Ken Patera with General Akbar vs The Tonga Kid 

Patera and Akbar’s arrogance quickly goes away as the Tonga Kid is all over the former Olympian at the beginning.  Sheik Hercules Hernandez accompanied his manager to the ring but, their seemed to be a little tension between Hercules and his stablemates.  It appeared that Akbar panicked and wanted Hercules to get involved as Tonga Kid was in control.  Hercules refused and it appeared that he told Akbar that he didn’t want to cost Patera the win as there could be a DQ.  In the end, Patera prevailed as he got the win by submission with the Swinging Full Nelson.

At the interview desk, Akbar did his best to infuriate the American crowd as he once again claimed the NWA was trying to sabotage him because of his connection to Arabia.  When Ross asked what he was talking about, he said that Patera came to the ring and was going to take it easy on Tonga Kid but the referee was obviously cheating against Sheik Patera.

Watts tried his best to laugh this off and asked if everything was alright in his Army as there seemed to be a problem with Hercules Hernandez.  This is when Akbar laughed as he said that Watts was again trying to stir the pot; all because of his nationality.  He left by saying that of course his Sheiks were fine and one of them would win the NWA World Title

COMMERCIAL

MATCH:  Mark & Jay Youngblood defeat The Assassins as Jay hit the top rope diving tomahawk chop

This match shows the NWA has some real depth to their tag team division as both of these teams are double tough.  The Assassins, with their size, power, and questionable tactics could beat anyone and the Youngbloods, with their speed, tag team tactics and never-say die Indian perseverance are one of the best teams in the world.

Unlike Cornette, and the Midnight Express, the Youngbloods are grateful for the NWA giving them this chance and they can’t wait to show all their Indian brothers here in Oklahoma all of their talent.   They also make it a point to let Cornette know that they are unsure if his team is the greatest in the world and they would love a shot at them down the road.

COMMERCIAL

MATCH:  Barry Windham vs “Mr. Piledriver” Bob Sweetan

A wild match that shows Sweetan might be up there in age, but he is still game for a big brawl.  Much of the action has spilled outside of the ring and both men get a little bloody as their heads had been rammed into something hard and metal.  In the end, Barry catches Sweetan in a Superplex and gets the win!

6TSVVEx.png?1

In the post-match interview, Windham hypes up this tournament and he can’t believe that he had to face someone as tough as Sweetan in the first round and he knows things will only get tougher. 

Before we head off the air, Cowboy Bill Watts hypes up the return of the NWA one more time and lets all the good fans in places like Kansas City, St. Joseph, Lincoln, Wichita, and Oklahoma City.

Jim Ross:  Well folks, I told you it would be an exciting hour.  Next week, we will have more qualifying matches for the NWA World Champion Tournament.  Get your tickets for January 31 at the Kiel Auditorium.  So long from Tulsa. 

The NWA is back and I'm sure the fans are excited!

What a way to start things off as Valentine gets the (shady) win over Hogan! The Brain has quite the stable with Valentine, Bad News and HTM. Hogan vs. Heenan Family will always draw money. 

LOL Kirby gets a good promo in but suffers a devastating loss to Dr. Death. 

Wherever Watts is you can expect Jim Cornette to show up LOL. The Midnight Express look better than ever.

Patera advances with a solid win over Tonga Kid but there seems to be friction in Akbar's stable. Totally realistic as I can see Patera and Herc vying for the top muscle man spot. 

Youngblood's take down the Assassins. The tag division will be very competitive. 

Windham ends the show with a hard fought victory over Sweetan. 

These qualifying matches show how competitive the tournament will be. Whoever wins it will deserve the title. 

Great move going with the NWA. 

pxLV65Y.png?4

Taped every Thursday Night and aired to local affiliates throughout the Central time zone throughout the weekend and broadcast across the United States every Sunday Night at 6:05 PM Eastern Time on the Superstation WTBS, the North American Wrestling Alliance proudly presents Power Pro Wrestling, coming to you this week from Memorial Hall in Kansas City, Kansas.

BhI95rG.png?4

Jim Ross:  Hello everybody and welcome to another edition of Power Pro Wrestling, a National Wrestling Alliance production.  I am Jim Ross and my partner today is one of the best in the business…Cowboy Bill Watts.  Cowboy, how about you tell everyone what we have instore for them today. 

Cowboy Bill Watts:  Thank you Jim.  We got a great show today as we have 4 more qualifying matches for the tournament to crown a new NWA World Champion which will take place on January 31st at Kiel Auditorium in St. Louis, Missouri.  We will also get our first look at the Canadian Lumberjacks, one double tough team from the North.  Also, in action today will be the “Baby Bull” Leon White!  For those of you who have never seen him, I promise you that you will be impressed.  Make sure you stick around as our man event today will be Hacksaw Butch Reed vs Hercules Hernandez.  What a battle of the big boys that will be but before we get to the ring, let’s take you back to last week at the Tulsa Convention Center where Hulk Hogan was taking on Greg “The Hammer” Valentine in a qualifying match for the NWA tournament. 

VIDEO: 

The video shows Valentine in trouble and Hogan going for the leg drop, only to be tripped by Bad News Allen.  As the ref went to admonish Allen and Heenan, Honky Tonk Man came out from under the ring and hit Hogan with a guitar and helping Valentine to cover Hulk and get the win.

When the video is over, we see Hulk Hogan at the interview desk.

Cowboy Bill Watts:  Well Hulkster… what do you have to say about what we all just saw?

Hulk Hogan:  Well Cowboy, the Hulkster has been having problems with that weasel, Bobby Heenen for a long time.  No matter where I go, he shows up.  From the AWA then Stampede and now here in the NWA.  The problem is, Heenan never fights fair.  He always finds a way to get a numbers advantage.  Whether it is Bad News or Honky Tonk or some other goon.  And let me tell you something brother, the Hulkster is getting sick and tired of it.  But you know what Jim… a little birdy told me that Heenan is in for a big surprise today when Honky Tonk comes out for his qualifying match and I am going to make sure none of the nonsense that went on last week happens again as I will be at ringside.

This brought Bobby Heenan running out.

Bobby Heenan:  Hold on just a minute!  First of all, I think it is completely unfair that we have been kept in the dark about who Honky Tonk is facing today, but now this oversized blowup doll next to me says that he is going to be at ringside.  I know for a fact that Hulk Hogan doesn’t have a managerial license and therefor, cannot be at ringside. 

Cowboy Bill Watts:  That is true Mr. Heenan.  Hulk Hogan doesn’t have a managerial license and under normal circumstances, he would not be at ringside.

Bobby Heenan:  Well it is about time!  I am finally in an organization that is above board and are going to enforce the rules!

Cowboy Bill Watts:  Hold on Heenan.  Let me finish.  I said under Normal Circumstances!  Last week, we saw Bad News Allen and Honky Tonk Man interfere in Greg Valentine’s match against Hulk Hogan.

Bobby Heenan:  You say attack… I say protect!

Cowboy Bill Watts:  Whatever…. All that I know is that your men were out there without a managerial license and cost Hulk a chance at the world title.  Because of this fact, you can’t be trusted!  Going forward, I will make sure that this tournament goes on without incident.  To do that, I have hired a few security guards who will be at ringside during your “Families” matches.  Those security guards are Tony Atlas, Hacksaw Jim Duggan and Hulk Hogan

Bobby Heenan goes nuts as we get a quick word from Hogan… “Whatcha gonna do when the largest pythons are running all over you Bobby Heenan.” 

qSomlAn.jpg?1

COMMERCIAL

MATCH:  Terry Funk defeats Kendall Windham with a Piledriver   

While Ross and Watts pump up the newest son of Blackjack Mulligan and praise Kendall’s  abilities for a 17 year old, Funk just seemed to toy with him.  In fact, it got to the point where Funk could have pinned Kendall whenever he wanted to but used a piledriver to finish him off.  This really upset both Ross and Watts and they wanted to know why Funk would do that to Windham as he was just a kid!

Terry Funk:  Lets get one thing straight here Watts.  That boy… and make no mistake about, he is a boy, got in the ring today and he was thinking he could take down a legend.  How do I know that… he comes from that Egg Sucking Dog… Blackjack Mulligan.  Mulligan was over there in Rocky Mountain Wrestling bragging about how great his sons are.  How great the whole Mulligan family is and that nothing better has ever come out of Texas.  Well let me remind you all, the Funks are from Texas and both my brother and myself have been World Champion.  The only thing Mulligan has ever been champion of is being the Biggest, Ugliest Dog I have ever seen.  Oh, and by the way Jim Ross… you are looking mighty thin today.  It must be all this bad BBQ in Kansas City.  Ya’ll folks should come on down to my ranch in Texas and see what real food tastes like. 

q9iR26k.png

Commercial

MATCH:  Krusher Kruschev vs Don Kernodle

This qualifying match starts with Kruschev giving an interview about why he defected from the U.S.A to Mother Russia and he keeps on saying it is because of how week the people of America have become.    He is really hearing it from the crowd as he goes to the ring. 

Q1Ud2QH.jpg?1

This is all changes when Private Kernodle comes to the ring wearing the USA headband. The crowd is now electric as they are chanting USA…USA.  The problem is that Kruschev is almost 300 pounds and when he attacks before the bell, Kernodle has a tough time getting back the momentum.  The interesting thing here was that Skandar Akbar comes out to ringside and just seems to watch.

aEtDfPK.jpg?1

Both Ross and Watts wonder what he is doing here but we never get that answer as he leaves before the match ends.  As he leaves, he is just shaking his head in disbelief.  In the end, we see Kruschev put Kernodle to the mat with a nasty neckbreaker and then he climbs to the top rope and finishes off his opponent with a top rope elbow drop.  The fans are devasted as their American soldier has gone done to the enemy!

MATCH: 

“Baby Bull” Leon White vs Ron Shaw

Ross makes sure to explain that this is not a qualifying match and that Leon White is new to the NWA and that it is his first time seeing him, but he has heard some great things about this powerhouse.  Ron Shaw is a big, powerful man at over 275 pounds and he is used to show Baby Bull’s power.  White tosses him around like a rag doll and the end comes with a monstrous powerslam. 

The crowd is impressed but we get little into insight into the character of White as he is a little stiff and uncharismatic.  Cowboy Bill Watts ends the segment by praying that Leon is on the side of good or there could be big problems around the NWA in the near future.

Commercial

MATCH: Canadian Lumberjacks (Jos Leduc/ Moose Morowski) vs Tim Dean & Ed Thomas 

The Lumberjacks are like a bigger version of the Sheepherders as they are wild, violent and don’t seem to think there are any rules to wrestling.  They also did a good job of antagonizing the fans after each move.  The end came mercifully when Leduc locked in a bearhug on Dean who had no choice but to submit.  When he was good and ready, Leduc tossed Dean aside like a rag doll and the Lumberjacks headed to the interview area.

c11HpmS.png

Jos Leduc:  I guess you know why we are here in the NWA… we heard that next month there is going to be a tournament to crown new NWA World Tag Team Champions.  We are here to win that tournament and there is nothing anyone can do about it.  If fact, all my life and all of Moose’s life, there has never been anyone who can do anything about what we do.  We wake up in the morning and do what we want. We go out during the day and do what we want, and when we come home, we do what we want.

Moose Morowski:  That’s right Jos… and now we get to do our three favorite things here in the NWA… hurt people, make money hurting people and become the champions because we hurt people.  And there is nothing anyone can do about it!

As the Lumberjacks head off, Cowboy Bill Watts is heard saying that those two guys are going to be a tough out in the tag tournament next month.

COMMERCIAL

Match:  Honky Tonk Man vs ?

This qualifying match has some real juice as not only are we wondering who Honky Tonk will face but Tony Atlas, Hacksaw Duggan, and Hulk Hogan come out and take their place around the ring as security guards!

BRfTu2R.jpg?1

Jim Ross:  WOW!  He is here!  He is here!  It is the former WWF Champion… Magnum TA and business is about to pick up!

Honky Tonk has a wild look of fear in his eyes as Heenan is jumping up and down in a fit of rage.  Honky Tonk turns to Heenan…

Ding…Ding…Ding.

WHAM!  Just as Honky Tonk turns around he is hit with a huge spear.

Jim Ross:  As Gawd is my witness… I think Honky Tonk is broken in half!

Heenan is frantically calling to the back as Bad News Allen, Greg Valentine and a large masked man hit the arena floor.  They are all intercepted by Atlas, Duggan and Hogan and a major brawl is going on.

Magnum T.A. covers HTM and we get an end to one of the fastest matches in the history of wrestling.  As TA gets off of HTM, Heenan drags his man threw the ropes and calls for a major retreat of his “Family.”  With Heenan gone, the fan favorites celebrate to a huge ovation!

XaO0rK7.png

Cowboy Bill Watts:  Thanks to Magnum TA and the Security Guards, it looks like everything is right again in the World.  Heenan has run out of here and the good guys own the ring. 

COMMERCIAL

MATCH:  Hacksaw Butch Reed vs Sheik Hercules Hernandez with Skandar Akbar

9FpDevJ.jpg?1        llHMQtn.jpg

Akbar and Hernandez seemed to have solved their problem for last week.  The main event is showcase of two of the strongest wrestlers in the business and they both use this as a chance to demonstrate power move after power move.  Reed and Hernandez both come together at full speed in the center of the ring and unfortunately, the ref was in the middle and he seems to be down and out.  Akbar takes this opportunity to enter the ring for a little double-teaming of Reed.  After Reed is down, we see Akbar signal to the back and here comes Sheik Ken Patera.  Patera grabs a chair as Hercules holds Reed!

WHAM! 

Reed slips away at the last second as Patera nails Hercules!

With the ref recovering just in the nick of time, Akbar and Patera slither from the ring.  Reed covers Hercules Hernandez and we get a three count!

Jim Ross:  Wow… Hacksaw has escaped a really precarious situation to move to the World Championship Tournament in Kiel Auditorium on January 31st in St. Louis.  So long from Memorial Hall in Kansas City. 

Oh man, Watts really throws a wrench in Heenan's plans as he appoints a special security crew. 

It's great seeing Terry Funk and all his craziness. Looks like we're heading into a battle of Texans feud.

Hmmmm Akbar does some scouting during the Kruschev/Kernodle match. 

Baby Bull is making his presence known. Looking forward to his build. This is a perfect place for him. 

Moose and Leduc seem rejuvenated as the Canadian Lumberjacks and are ready to cause havoc in the tag team ranks. 

WOW! Magnum TA has arrived! This is huge! He scores a lighting quick win over the HTM as Hogan, Duggan and Atlas fight off the Heenan Family. This is going to be a war! 

Awesome main event as Patera's interference backfires allowing Reed to advance. Tensions will be at an all time high between Herc and Patera. 

The NWA is off to a hot start and we haven't even got to the tournament yet. Great stuff! 

- Completely unsurprised that the corrupt Bill Watts is allowing that over steroided Atlas, Bulk Hogan, and that special needs football washout Jim Duggan to get involved in Bobby Heenan's perfectly legal dealings outside of the ring. 

- I'm glad Terry Funk is pointing out much overrated trash that KC BBQ is. 

- I'm not shocked that the morons in Kansas City won't let a brave man like Krusher Kurschev simply express his opinion. 

- Two more strong men who realize this isn't ballet making an impact, in the Canadian Lumberjacks. 

- Honky Tonk Man should sue every each of those goofs, and talk to the NWA Board of Directors about the incredibly biased job that Bill Watts is up too. 

pxLV65Y.png?4

bpzCYEO.jpg?1

JANUARY 16, 1985

Taped every Thursday Night and aired to local affiliates throughout the Central time zone throughout the weekend and broadcast across the United States every Sunday Night at 6:05 PM Eastern Time on the Superstation WTBS, the North American Wrestling Alliance proudly presents Power Pro Wrestling, coming to you this week from Memorial Hall in Kansas City, Kansas.

Jim Ross:  Hello everybody and welcome to another edition of Power Pro Wrestling, a National Wrestling Alliance production.  I am Jim Ross and my partner today is one of the best in the business…Cowboy Bill Watts.  Cowboy, how about you tell everyone what we have instore for them today. 

Cowboy Bill Watts:  Thank you Jim.  We got a great show today as we have 4 more qualifying matches for the tournament to crown a new NWA World Champion which will take place on January 31st at Kiel Auditorium in St. Louis, Missouri.  We will also get our first look at the newest member of the Funk family to enter the squared circle… Jimmy Jack Funk!  Also, make sure you stick around as one of the best tag teams in the world… the Hart Foundation will make their NWA debuts today.  And in the main event… you won’t believe what we have instore for you as Mr. USA Tony Atlas squares off with Bad News Allen!  But before we get to all that, lets show a video of Terry Funk vs Kendall Windham from last week. 

VIDEO: 

The video shows Terry Funk unnecessarily punishing the young Windham and then saying the reason is because he doesn’t care for his egg sucking dog of a father…. Blackjack Mulligan! 

When the video is over, we see Blackjack Mulligan. 

Cowboy Bill Watts:  Well Blackjack… what do you have to say about what we all just saw?

Blackjack Mulligan:  Well Watts, Terry Funk and I have a history and it aint a real good one at that. I will give Funk his duo, he is tough wrastler in the ring but he always thinks he is just a little better then he is and I have whooped him from pillar to post.  Now, he comes out here and lays the boots to my son, Kendall!  I have no problem with him doing what he needs to in order to win the match, but he went out of his way to injure my son.  While I don’t raise no cowards and I raised both my boys to stand up for the themselves… Terry Funk crossed the line and now he won’t have a teenage boy coming after him… It will be a 6’9, 375 pound angry Blackjack.  Hunting season is open, and the game of choice is a Funk!

Jim Ross:  Wow… when this one is all done it might be worse than the Hattfields and McCoys. 

Cowboy Bill Watts:  Being that they are both from Texas, I am sure that Funk and Mulligan Remember the Alamo.  Just remember Jim, there were no survivors from the Alamo and nobody might survive this wrestling war. 

Commercial

Before our next match, Ross and Watts are joined by Magnum TA as we see a video clip of his first round qualifying match from last week against Honky Tonk Man where he gets a big win with the spear and then the Security Guards (Hogan, Atlas & Duggan) fight off Heenan’s Family!

XaO0rK7.png

Magnum TA:  Well Jim and Mr. Watts, I want to start off by saying how great it is to be back in the NWA with the greatest fans in the World.  I also want everyone to know that whiI am here for the World Title, I will not stop fighting to rid the NWA of all that is wrong in the wrestlng business.  Bobby Heenan… you might just be the biggest wrong in all of wrestling and one by one, I am going to take out each of your goons! 

LIVE MATCHES ON THE TV SHOW (Short Form)

MATCH:  Dick Slater Gamma Singh

This qualifying match starts with Gamma Singh attacking before the bell which helps to get Dick Slater over with these fans.  In the end, Slater follows up 3 big right hands with a piledriver to get his ticket to the tournament on July 31!  In a post-match interview, Slater seems to confuse the people as he made it clear that he will do anything to win the World title and then he put everyone on notice including people like Butch Reed and Barry Windham!

cNMm6T4.png?1

MATCH:  One Man Gang with Skandar Akbar vs Ben Bassarab

This qualifying match is completely one sided as Gang is just too big for Bassarab.  The destruction lasts less than two minutes and ends with a big Side Slam.  Gang (pulling one from King Kong Bundy) demands a 5 count for the win!  The ref could have counted to a 100 and Ross and Watts wonder if anyone will be able to stop Gang from winning the World title.

ozx0YCG.jpg?2

MATCH:  The Hart Foundation defeat Verlon Biggs & Larry Cheatem

This squash match was used to introduce one of the best teams in the World to the NWA fans and to hype up next Month’s one-night NWA World Tag Team Title Tournament.  The Hart’s came to the ring high fiving the fans and showed a lot of charisma throughout their match and interview.  After seeing the total package here, it is obvious to those in the know, that the Hart Foundation will get a major push here in the NWA.  Cornette came out and confronted the Harts and let them know that they were not in the same league as his Midnight Express.  As “the Anvil” stepped to Cornette, we got the whining baby threatening to use his Mother’s Lawyers if one hair on his head was misplaced.  The Anvil gave one of his traditional laughs which seemed to scare Cornette even more. 

MATCH:  Super Strong Machine vs Pat Rose

In this qualifying match, the blue masked Super Strong Machine was like a robot as we get a very calculated destruction of Pat Rose.  Super Machine “No Sold” each move by Rose as he didn’t even flinch.  Strong Machine just hit power move after power move and followed up a big clothesline with a bridging underhook suplex.  While Ross and Watts asked Super Strong Machine for a post-match interview, the Machine just walked by like he didn’t even hear the request. 

tLZqvQS.jpg?1

MATCH:  Jimmy Jack Funk vs Brain Luck

Funk is introduced as the younger brother to Terry and Dory which brings down some boos from the crowd which he seems to shrug off.  Jimmy Jack might be younger, but he is just like Terry in the ring… a bit wild and willing to take some chances.  As Funk puts on the Spinning Toe Hold, Luck is forced to submit.  The problem here is that Funk refuses to break the hold!

The crowd erupts as Blackjack rushed the ring and really lays into the youngest Funk.  It even seems like he has gone a bit too far but Ross wonders, “who could blame him after Terry really gave it to Kendall.  It becomes obvious that Terry s not in the building as he never comes to make the save.  Eventually, Kendall and Barry come out to calm their father and situation as we head to break.

J5MdPU1.jpg?2

Main Event Match: Tony Atlas vs Bad News Allen with Bobby Heenan

As promised last week by Cowboy Bill Watts, all tournament matches with Heenan’s Family

Will have a security team at ringside to protect the integrity of the match.  Tonight’s security team is Hulk Hogan, Hacksaw Duggan and Magnum T.A.  Bad News Allen, one never to back done, goes right up to all three members of the security team and gets in their faces.  Jim Ross credits the security for keeping the composure and not attacking Allen and wonders if anything could intimidate Bad News!  As for the match, Allen and Atlas have a classic brawl with both men getting time on top.  Eventually Heean jumps up on the apron which catches the ref’s attention.  The ref turns to the Security Team to take care of it and they do immediately as Heenan just scoops up the manager and walks him to a chair in the corner where he stands over him to make sure there is no funny business.

The problem was that Heenan already did enough as Allen reached into his trunks and pulled out a pair of brass knucks and laid Atlas out!  The ref turned back and saw Bad News covering Atlas and he began to make the count!

1….2…3!

The fans are irate and tell the ref that Allen has a weapon.  The ref questions Allen and then searches him but Allen had already tossed the knucks out of the ring!  Magnum TA sees this and gathers the knucks and goes to show the evidence to the ref.  Now the ref goes to Allen and wants to know what is going on.  Allen and Heenan deny the charges and say that Magnum must have brought the for Atlas to use!  With no way of finding out what really happened, the ref lets the decision stand!

w4EzSz8.jpg?1

Jim Ross:  Wow… the level to which some will stoop.  Bad News has found a way into the World Championship Tournament in Kiel Auditorium on January 31st in St. Louis.  So long from Memorial Hall in Kansas City. 

Oh man I don't know if the NWA is big enough for Mulligan and Funk. The family feud is on! 

Magnum is back home! 

You just never know what Slater is thinking.

OMG looks devastating! I agree with the announcers, who can stop this monster?

Hart Foundation vs. Midnight Express...YES PLEASE!!!

I like the mystique of Super Strong Machine.

Shots fired as Mulligan puts a beating on baby brother Funk. 

Great TV main event. LOL, I don't think Bad News is afraid of anything as he's ready to fight the entire special security team. Heenan does enough to allow Bad News to get the shady win over Atlas. This feud is far from over. 

You've got some real money making feuds going. 

Judging by the qualifying matches, the tournament should be off the charts. 

pxLV65Y.png?4

BhI95rG.png?4

POWER PRO

JANUARY 23, 1985

Cowboy Bill Watts:  Thank you Jim.  We got a great show today as we have our last 4 qualifying matches for the tournament to crown a new NWA World Champion which will take place on January 31st at Kiel Auditorium in St. Louis, Missouri.  These matches will include Jimmy Garvin and his valet, Precious against Cocoa Samoa, Ox Baker against Brian Blair, Blackjack Mulligan vs Jimmy Jack Funk,and Hacksaw Jim Duggan against Mr. Saito.  We also have one great main event for you as it will be the Hart Foundation vs the Midnight Express! 

Cowboy Bill Watts:  Wow… that is some card.  I must admit I can’t wait to see Blackjack against Jimmy Jack Funk as there seems to be some real bad blood between the Funks and the Mulligan family.  We will head to the ring right after this break.

Commercial

LIVE MATCHES ON THE TV SHOW (Short Form:  Trying to get caught up)

MATCH:  JImmy Garvin & Precious vs Cocoa Samoa

This qualifying match starts with Jimmy Garvin doing what he does best…. Getting some major heat from the crowd as he struts to the ring just as cocky as ever.  Garvin, combined with the perfume antics of Precious have the crowd wishing Cocoa can set him straight.  As the match starts, Cocoa starts like a house afire and is using his hard head to send Garvin from pillar to post.  Eventually, Precious has seen enough and jumps up on the apron to distract the ref.  This allows Garvin the chance to hit Cocoa with a low blow and down goes the big Samoan.  The ref thinks he knows what happens but isn’t sure so he goes and asks Garvin who is shaking his head NO!  The problem here was this allowed Precious the chance to once again hop up on the apron!

WHAM!  Loaded Purse shot to the head of Cocoa Samoa!

The funny thing here is that the hard-headed Samoan No Sells it and turns and looks at Precious who jumps off the apron and runs and hides behind the announce table.

WHAM!  Garvin comes up from behind and hits The Brainbuster and gets the win!

pdlsD1Z.pngJim Ross:  Bawh Gawd… that jezebel did just enough tonight to help her man qualify for the NWA World Championship Tournament.  Someday, Someday… these two will get what’s coming!

Cowboy Bill Watts:  And I sure hope it is January 31st in the Kiel Auditorium.

MATCH:  Ox Baker vs Brian Blair

Power vs Speed… Wrestler vs Bruiser…. Good vs Evil!  This match is truly a match of opposites.  This is Ox Baker’s first match in a while as he was suspended by the AWA for multiple heart punches on Sonny King back in Rocky Mountain Wrestling, but his look is just what the revived NWA is looking for. 

As the match begins, Blair comes in for a collar and elbow lock up and Baker just hits him with a big forearm.  The entire matches seemed to work this way.  Every time Blair wanted to wrestle, Baker took the match to the gutter.  Blair did have some time on top, but Baker kept using his big taped fists to regain control.  After a big body slam by Baker, he scoops up Blair by his head…

WHAM… Heart Punch and Blair is down for the 3 count!

IL3sMEA.jpg

Jim Ross actually seems scared during the post-match interview as Ox Baker comes over and reminds the fans that he has killed people in the ring before and he doesn’t mind doing it again….especially if it is for the World Title!

MATCH:  Blackjack Mulligan vs Jimmy Jack Funk

Two weeks ago, we saw Terry Funk take some liberties with the teenage Kendall Windham, and then last week Blackjack attacked Jimmy Jack Funk after his debut win here on Power Pro so this one has some juice as two of the biggest families in wrestling seem to be at war. 

Give Funk some credit as he didn’t give an inch tonight against the patriarch of the Windham clan but in the end, Mulligan, with all his built up angry towards the Funks, was two much for Jimmy Jack as Mulligan locked in the Brain Claw and got the win.  The situation got worse as Mulligan refused to break the hold…

vVSy68X.jpg

Jim Ross:  Oh business is about to pick up now!

From the back comes Terry and Dory Funk Jr. and they go right after Mulligan. 

dZcY3UX.png?1

This only lasts for about a minute before Barry and Kendall come to Dad’s rescue. 

We now have 3 Funks and Blackjack and his two sons in an all-out war.  The only way this wild scene came to an end was to go to break and leave the TV audience wondering how this ended.  In fact, it took the entire locker room to come break this one up!

MATCH:  Hacksaw Duggan vs Mr. Saito with Skandar Akbar

Two tough dudes going out it seems momentum turn after momentum turn. 

48Jyt7Y.jpg

Akbar is his usually fiendish self which makes the situation worse.  We get some wild action and unfortunately for the ref, he got knocked to the ground. 

We see Akbar waving frantically to the back and out comes another Japanese wrestler who Jim Ross said he didn’t know who he was.  Anyway, we get a 3-1 attack on Hacksaw by the Japanese duo and Akbar.  In a way, the attack that went on for far to long proved to be the downfall of Akbar’s Devastation Inc. as the ref rolled over, and while shaking the cobwebs from his head, saw the outside interference and gave the win to Hacksaw Duggan.

BRfTu2R.jpg?1

This infuriated Akbar and his men and they tossed the ref over the top rope which immediately had Cowboy Bill Watts announcing they will be fined for that one! 

The crowd explodes as Watt’s Security Team of Hulk Hogan, Tony Atlas and Magnum T.A. rush out to protect both Duggan and the ref from further attack.  An angry Devastation Inc. decides discretion is the better part of valor as they head for the hills!

Main Event Match: The Midnight Express with Jim Cornett vs The Hart Foundation

ZcBuFe9.jpg?1     5voJ3aB.png?1

Last week we saw Cornette come out to the announce table and put down the Hart Foundation which caused Bret and The Anvil to confront the wimpy manager.  Even when Corny threatened his mother’s lawyers, the Harts just laughed!

That brings us to today’s main event which Cowboy Bill Watts says could very well be a preview of the finals of next month’s tag team tournament.  Unfortunately, we get about 6 minutes of wild action before Jim Ross let’s us know that we are running out of time.  Just before the screen goes black, we see: 

Bobby Eaton back Bret Hart into the ropes as Condrey rushes in.  This caused the Anvil to come after Denis and we are going bonzo-gonzo with all four in the ring!

WHAM… Tennis Racket shot to Bret Hart by Cornette! 

Jim Ross:  Wow… the level to which some will stoop.  Sorry folks, we are out of time.  Make sure to get to Kiel Auditorium on January 31st in St. Louis for the NWA World championship Tournament.  So long from Memorial Hall in Kansas City. 

NWA WRESTLING

KIEL AUDITORIUM

ST. LOUIS, MISSOURI

JANUARY 31, 1985

o3JYzPG.png?1

xd06u0g.png?1

Ring announcer Mikey Garagiola welcomes everybody to the Kiel Auditorium and explains that tonight is the night we have all been waiting for as we will crown a new NWA World Champion.  He goes on to explain that all first round matches will have a 15 minute time limit while second round matches will have a 20 minute time limit.  The semi-finals and finals will be untimed.

ROUND 1

Magnum T.A vs Sheik Ken Patera with Bobby Heenan

Two of the tournament favorites meet here in the opening match as the fans watches Akbar interfere just enough to allow Patera to hook in the swinging neckbreaker.  Somehow, TA manages to get to the ropes and later he recovered and hit the Belly to Belly Suplex for the win.  The question going forward tonight will be how much did that neckbreaker took out of Magnum.  On the other hand, Akbar really seems displeased with Patera.

Hacksaw Jim Duggan vs “Gorgeous” Jimmy Garvin with Precious

The jezebel Precious stopped Hacksaw’s momentum with a loaded purse to the head and Gorgeous Jimmy Garvin finished off Duggan with a Brainbuster.  As Garvin and Precious took their time celebrating, Hacksaw recovered enough to chase the duo up the aisle with the 2X4.  We will have to wait and see if Garvin is ok!

“Dr. Death” Steve Williams vs Bad News Allen with Bobby Heenan

Wild, wild brawl that saw the action spill out onto the floor and both men were counted out. 

“The Rebel” Dick Slater vs One Man Gang with Skandar Akbar

The fans saw Dirty Dick rock Gang with some big right hands but in the end, the big man was just too much and hit Slater with the Big Splash for the win! 

Barry Windham vs Kruscher Kruschev

Barry gets the patriotic win with the running bulldog.

Hacksaw Butch Reed vs Greg “The Hammer” Valentine with Bobby Heenan

Without a doubt, the best match of the first round.  Both men connected with their finishers but could not get the win.  Reed hoisted Valentine up in the Military Press Slam only to see Heenan put Valentine’s leg on the ropes and while Reed was suffering in Valentine’s Figure Four, he was able to muscle his way to the ropes to force the break.  In the end, we get a 15- minute time limit draw that saw both men very frustrated with the result.

Blackjack Mulligan vs Ox Baker

Another bout that seemed to have nothing to do with wrestling and looked more like a street fight.  In the end, we saw Mulligan block the Heart Punch and lock in the Brain Claw for the win!

Super Strong Machine vs Terry Funk

Funk takes this one to the gutter and follows up an eye gouge with a piledriver for the win!

ROUND 2

Magnum TA vs Gorgeous Jimmy Garvin with Precious

Garvin and Precious try the same game plan here but Magnum sees the loaded purse shot coming and grabs the arm of Precious.  Garvin rushes in from behind with a flying knee but TA steps aside at the last second and Precious takes the brunt of the attack.  Gorgeous Jimmy is shocked as Precious falls to the floor.

WHAM!  Magnum connects with a belly to belly suplex and gets the win!

One Man Gang gets a bye to the Semi-finals due to the DCO between Dr. Death and Bad News Allen

Barry Windham gets a bye to the Semi-Finals due to the draw between Butch Reed & Greg Valentine

Terry Funk vs Blackjack Mulligan

This family feud is now being played out on the biggest stage… the NWA World Title Tournament.  Unfortunately for Blackjack, Funk is the dirtiest player in the game and was able to sneak in the brass knucks and connected with Blackjack’s temple and Funk got the three count to move into the Semi-Finals.

SEMI-FINALS

Magnum TA vs One Man Gang with Skandar Akbar

With the ref knocked down, Akbar rushed the ring, but TA caught him with a belly to belly!  The problem was TA had turned his back on OMG who hit the ropes and was coming after Magnum with a huge clothesline.  TA saw this and ducked under… OMG hits the ropes again and comes after TA

WHAM… Unbelievable… Magnum has just belly to bellied One Man Gang!

1…2…3.

Barry Windham vs Terry Funk

With Funk already in the ring, Windham is coming down the apron and it is obvious that he just isn’t right.  He has blood streaming down his face and is staggering to the ring.  The ref makes sure he wants to continue and of course, Barry accepts the challenge.

The problem was that anyone who wants to beat Terry must be on top of their game and Windham was obviously injured.  After a low blow, Terry is warned by the ref but he pushes though and comes up from begin Windham and locks in the sleeper.  After already losing a lot of blood, Windham couldn’t fight it off and was knocked out!

As Terry has his hand raised, Blackjack and Kendall rush to the ring to make sure Funk doesn’t do anything to Barry.  You can also hear the mumbling around the arena wondering what happened in the locker room that caused Barry to be hurt before the match.  I guess we will just have to wait until next weekends TV show.

FINALS

Magnum TA vs Terry Funk

With Terry already in the ring, TA is accompanied from behind the curtain by Blackjack Mulligan and his two sons, Barry and Kendall.  The Mulligan clan stays at the end of the ramp presumable to make sure no other Funks get involved in this match.

As for the match, it is pretty long and drawn out as is goes nearly 20 minutes with many momentum turns.  In the end, the crowd is in shock by what they saw!

Dory rushed the ramp but he was turned back by Blackjack.  This wild scene on the outside seemed to distract everyone in the audience for a minute including the ref.  As this was going TA backed Funk into the corner.  From under the ring came Jimmy Jack Funk carrying a large branding iron!

WHAM!  … Jimmy Jack crushes TA and down he goes!  The ref turns to see Funk on top of TA

1…2… Kick out!  How did TA mange this?  One can only wonder.

TA is picked up by his hair… Terry off the ropes… kick to the gut!

1…2… 2 ½ … Kickout!

TA is picked up once again and Funk comes off the ropes again!

WHAM….

Belly to Belly… Magnum covers Terry

1…2…3.!

The crowd goes wild and the Mulligan clan rush to the ring to both celebrate and protect Magnum TA!

Spoiler

Vz4uRz5.png

Finally! We never got to see it for real but you made us happy with Magnum becoming World Champion!

The build up to the tournament was incredible! 

The fans at the Kiel got their money's worth as the tournament was full of action and surprises. 

Reed vs. Valentine was my favorite first round match up and of course they go to a draw. Hopefully we get more matches between them. 

Mulligan and Ox would of been a fun brawl to watch. 

Garvin and Precious continue their sneaky ways and get a win over Duggan. 

Magnum opens with fire as he puts down the always tough Patera.

Dr. Death vs. Bad News sounds like a comic book fight. This could be a money making feud. 

Magnum is one step ahead of Garvin and Precious.

Good thing Funk had some brass knuckles because that's the only thing that could of put Mulligan down. 

OH MAN! Magnum gets the move of the night as he hits the belly to belly suplex on OMG! 

Barry took a beating in the back and still comes out to fight. To much to handle as Funk gets by him. 

What a wild final match! Funks and Mulligan's get involved and it's chaos! In the end Magnum overcomes it all and gets the win to become NWA Champ! 

Good choice! Magnum is the right man to lead the NWA in 1985. 

pxLV65Y.png?4

bpzCYEO.jpg?1

February 6, 1985

Before we cut to Jim Ross and Bill Watts we see the last thirty seconds of the tournament from last Saturday in Kiel Auditorium where a new NWA champion was crowned!

Magnum TA vs Terry Funk

Dory rushed the ramp but he was turned back by Blackjack.  This wild scene on the outside seemed to distract everyone in the audience for a minute including the ref.  As this was going TA backed Funk into the corner.  From under the ring came Jimmy Jack Funk carrying a large branding iron!

WHAM!  … Jimmy Jack crushes TA and down he goes!  The ref turns to see Funk on top of TA

1…2… Kick out!  How did TA mange this?  One can only wonder.

TA is picked up by his hair… Terry off the ropes… kick to the gut!

1…2… 2 ½ … Kickout!

TA is picked up once again and Funk comes off the ropes again!

WHAM….

Belly to Belly… Magnum covers Terry

1…2…3.!

The crowd goes wild and the Mulligan clan rush to the ring to both celebrate and protect Magnum TA!

Jim Ross:  Hello everybody and welcome to another edition of Power Pro Wrestling, a National Wrestling Alliance production.  I am Jim Ross and my partner as always is Cowboy Bill Watts.  Cowboy, what a week it was in the NWA

Cowboy Bill Watts:  Thank you Jim and boy you said a mouth full.  What a night it was in St. Louis as the young Magnum TA has become the new NWA World Champion!  Before I get to the rundown of tonight’s show, I have two major announcements.  First of all, if you are anywhere near Tulsa, Oklahoma, you will want to get your tickets to the Convention Center for February 20th as the NWA will be holding an 8-team tournament to crown the new NWA World Tag Team Champions.  Also in action that night, will be Magnum T.A. defending his newly won World title.  Who will he be facing… well those of you lucky enough to have tickets for tonight at the Sports Arena in Hutchinson, Kansas will be the first to know as their will be a 10 Man Gauntlet Match to name the #1 contender to the World title!  Wrestlers like Terry Funk, Barry Windham, Greg Valentine and Butch Reed will be at the Sports Arena tonight.  All 10 wrestlers names will be placed in a hat with the first two names facing off… win and you stay in for the next match.  Loose and you are out.     

Jim Ross:  Wow… two great events.  Tonight, we will be seeing One Man Gang in action, ….

All of a sudden “Gorgeous” Jimmy Garvin and Precious interrupt the beginning of the show!

Gorgeous Jimmy Garvin:  Watts… How dare you allow a man to put his hands on a woman and then parade around with the World Title.  Magnum T.A. should be in prison … never mind being the NWA World Champion!

All of a sudden, the crowd explodes as Magnum T.A. comes out!

Jim Ross:  Now hold on just a minute, let’s make sure we keep this peaceful!

Magnum T.A.:  Don’t worry Jim… we know this coward is too afraid to fight one on one.  Listen up Garvin… I am not going to sit around and have you run your mouth about how I hit a women!  First of all… She Aint No Women!  Second of all… the only way you win a match is for that jezebel to hit someone with that loaded purse.    

Jimmy Garvin:  Magnum… you only wish you had a woman like this around your arm!

Magnum T.A.:  And you only wish you had this World Title around your waist!

Jimmy Garvin:  Give me a match and that belt will be mine!

Magnum T.A.:  Well we seem to be going around in circles so how about this… tonight, in Hutchinson, I will give you a title match!

Jimmy Garvin and Precious are both shaking their head in approval.

Magnum T.A.:  Hold on just a minute…. Since I am putting something up, it just seems fair that you put something up also!

Jimmy Garvin:  What do you have in mind!

Magnum T.A.:  Well you said, I would be lucky to have a woman like Precious, so how about if I win, she works for me for 60 days!

Precious is shaking her head NO….. Jimmy Garvin seems to ponder this for a moment and then agrees!  Precious is in shock that Jimmy would actually put her up as collateral. 

Commercial 

MATCH:  The Assassins (Randy Colley & Jody Hamilton) defeat Jim Cruz & Mike Dean)

This squash match is simply used to show the depth of the tag tournament division as we get set for the tag team tournament in two weeks.  As The Assassins beat the two jobbers from pillar to post, we find out that they other teams will include The Hart Foundation, The Midnight Express, The U.S. Express (Tony Atlas & Hacksaw Jim Duggan), The Youngbloods, Greg “The Hammer” Valentine and Honk Tonk Man, and the Lumberjacks (Jos Leduc & Moose Morowski)

As the match comes to an end, Jim Ross is wondering who that last team in the tournament will be.

The Assassins give a good promo hyping up the fact that they are the best team in the tournament, but this interview is interrupted by Dory and Terry Funk and they, being former champs, have not been placed in that tournament!  This brings out Blackjack Mulligan and Barry who demand that they are included… out comes Dr. Death and Butch Reed who want in followed by Akbar bringing out Hercules Hernandez and Mr. Saito…

True chaos has erupted as the ever-calm Cowboy Bill Watts says that next week, right here on TV, there will be a 4 Corner Elimination Match for all 4 of the teams out here now!  This seems to quiet down the chaos, but nobody seems really pleased with this solution.

Commercial

MATCH: 

One Man Gang with Skandar Akbar defeats Ben Bassarab with the 747 Splash followed by a 5 Count by the ref

Akbar spends the interview hyping up Devastation Inc. He is sure that One Man Gang will win the Gauntlet Match in Hutchinson and then beat Magnum T.A for the title!  He also is sure that the Sheiks… Hercules Hernandez and Mr. Saito , will be the next World Tag Team Champs.

Akbar’s attitude changes as Jim Ross asks, “what about Ken Patera?”

Skandar Akbar:  I spit in the face of Ken Patera.  He is out of Devastation Inc.  That loser has done nothing right in the past few weeks.  He doesn’t deserve my time or my money.  Devastation Inc. should have known better then to take a poorly trained American Olympian into its team.  He has been trained by losers for so long that he became a loser.  I could not fix all of the weakness that American has put into him.”

Jim Ross:  Well, I am unsure an Olympian deserves to be called a loser… Anyway, will Devastation Inc. be looking to fill the void left by losing Patera.

Skandar Akbar:  As I said…. Patera was the void in Devastation Inc.  He brought us way down!  So, we are better without him… but…  I am always looking to make Devastation Inc. even better 

MATCH:  Baby Bull Leon White defeats The Executioner

This was a big step up in competition for White, but he came out with flying colors as his raw power just seemed to overwhelm the large masked wrestler know as the Executioner.  The end come with another big power slam as Watts and Ross continue to hype up the newcomer.   

Commercial

MATCH:  Hacksaw Butch Reed vs Man Mountain Link

Link comes in weighing nearly 400 pounds but it doesn’t matter.  Reed has been on fire ever sense 1985 began.  In fact, the only match that he did not win was the draw he had with Greg  Valentine.  Jim Ross hypes up the fact that he would not be surprised if Reed wins the Gauntlet Match in the Sports Arena and if Reed and his tag team partner, Dr. Death get the win next week in the Four Corner Match to qualify for the Tag Team Tournament to crown new NWA World Champs.

As for this match. Link is too big and agile to just roll over and he was able to have some success when he brought this match to the gutter.  This only seemed to anger Hacksaw who in the end, basically broke Link in half with a Flying Top Rope Shoulder Block.

After the match was over, it seemed like there was to be some trouble as Skandar Akbar came out with Hercules Hernandez, One Man Gang and Mr. Saito.  Hacksaw Reed took a step back and got into a fighting stance.

Skandar Akbar:  Hold on… Hold on a minute Reed.  We are not out here to cause you harm.  As you may have heard, Ken Patera is no longer member of Devastation Inc, and we might have an opening for you.

The crowd is screaming for Reed not listen.

Skandar Akbar:  Hacksaw… Don’t listen to these morons.  You know as well as I do that the NWA is keeping you down.  They don’t give you the big matches…. they don’t give you the big paychecks.  They don’t respect you at all.

Hacksaw’s head tilts to the side as if Akbar has made some good points.

Skandar Akbar:  Just look at you.  You haven’t lost a match in months…. In either singles or tag team wrestling.  So how does the NWA reward you. 

Hacksaw looks like he is starting to agree….Next, Akbar pulls out a wad of $100 bills and let’s Hacksaw know that this $5000 could be his right know and he promised him there is a lot more where that comes from if he joins Devastation Inc. right now!

Hacksaw Reed:  Akbar… you mean all I have to do to make $5000 today is join you. 

The crowd is screaming at Hacksaw not to do it but it doesn’t look good as Akbar ups the ante and guarantees Reed a World Title Shot if he joins right now! 

Reed grabs the money and hugs it out with all of Devastation Inc as Reed’s “former partner” Steve “Dr. Death” Willimas runs out and wonders what is going on! 

Hacksaw Reed:  Money talks brother… Money talks!   

As we head to break, both Jim Ross and Cowboy Bill Watts wonders what this means for the 4 Corners Tag Team Match next week in TV where the winner gets a spot in the world tag team tournament!

Commercial

MATCH:  Bad News Allen with Bobby Heenan vs Super Samoan Sakalia

This man event pits to big men against one another but the wild card here proves to be Heenan who causes enough chaos on the onside of the ring, that Allen is able to defeat the Samoan with a Ghetto Blaster. 

As we are running out of time, we get a quick interview from Allen and Heenan.

Bobby Heenan:  Watts… I got a bone to pick with you.  You came up with a stupid rule that cost my man here the World Title!  You had you group of cronies you called the Security Advisers come to the ring and to protect what you called the integrity of the World Title Tournament!  All you goons did was make sure Bad News Allen did not win the title… and who was the leader of the group… Hulk Hogan!

Cowboy Bill Watts:  Come on Heenan…that group was put in place after your “Family” interfered in the match between Hogan and Valentine… costing Hogan a shot at the title and was not going to allow you to.

Bad News Allen:  Enough of this garbage… Hogan has been jealous of me for years.  I chased him out of Stampede and I cost him his AWA Title and now he wants to stop me from being the champ!  One difference Hogan… I knocked you around all by myself… you need a group security people like Atlas and Hacksaw Duggan to protect you.  If you had any guts, you would come out here right now, but we all know you are a yellow-bellied coward!

As the crowd starts chanting Hogan, Jim Ross announces we are out of time….

Jim Ross:  So long from Memorial Hall in Kansas City. 

Just before the screen fades to black the crowd erupts and we see Hogan strutting out!

Might want to edit that segment with Hacksaw Butch Reed and Skandor Akbar as you have one line with Reed talking as "Hacksaw Duggan" ;)

Great tournament to crown the NWA World Champion, at least half the field would have all made solid champions and Magnum TA should make for a fun champion but not sure he'll manage to have a long run with the impressive list of contenders he has coming after him.

That being said, "Gorgeous" Jimmy makes for a great first title defense!

Looking forward to seeing who comes out with the NWA World tag team titles.

Not sure how i feel about Bad News having a manager but if anyone can make it work it's Bobby Heenan.

Good follow up show from the big tournament.

Garvin is a good first challenger for Magnum and the match gets added intrigue with Precious on the line as well. Good angle. 

So many tag teams that a 4 corners match will decide who can gets the last spot in the tournament. This really shows how deep your tag roster is. 

Leon White is making waves. Looking forward to his first real challenge. 

Now that Patera is out, Akbar doesn't waste any time and goes after Reed. It seems Reed liked what he had to say (and the money helped as well). How will this affect his relationship with Williams??? I'll have to tune in next week and find out. 

Bad News calls out Hogan. AWWWW Man the time runs out as Hogan comes out. I liked what you did with their feud in Stampede and it looks like we're going to get part 2 here in the NWA. 

pxLV65Y.png?4

PwVCXZ3.png?1

Hutchinson, Kansas

Hutchinson Sports Arena

Feb. 6, 1985

10 Man Gantlet Match

(Winner Gets A World Title Shot on Feb, 20th at the Tulsa Convention Center)

Rules:  Win and Stay in the ring to face the Next Opponent

MATCH #1:  Blackjack Mulligan vs Terry Funk

This one doesn’t even get stated as Mulligan took off from the ring and attacked Funk as soon as his name was called out.  The two gave the fans a monster brawl with both men leaving bloody as the continued to brawl as they disappeared behind the curtain. The ref declared this a No Contest and the ring announcer said that two new wrestlers would be called out in one minute. 

MATCH #2:  Hacksaw Butch Reed with Skandar Akbar vs Don Kernodle

For those who did not see Power Pro Wrestling this morning, Akbar accompanying Reed to the ring was a shock. Twenty- Four Hours Ago, nobody thought that Don Kernodle would be the more popular wrestler in this match but that is exactly what Skandar Akbar can do for you.  Kernodle gives it his all but, Reed hits the Military Press Slam and gets the win!

MATCH #3:  Hacksaw Butch Reed with Skandar Akbar vs Dr. Death Steve Williams

Nobody really knows if these two are still tag team partners, but it seems unlikely now that Akbar is in the picture.  Both men give one heck of a fight and when it is over, it seems obvious that their relationship with each other is over.    We saw power move after power move and in the end, Dr. Death being the fresher man might just be the reason for the outcome as he connected with an Oklahoma Stampede and got the win! 

MATCH #4:  Dr. Death Steve Williams vs Greg “The Hammer” Valentine with Bobby Heenan

Heenan proved to be the determining factor here but it was not what he had planned.  With the ref down, Heenan accidently clobbered his own man with a chair and Williams followed it up with another Oklahoma Stampede for the win!

MATCH #5:  Dr. Death Steve Williams vs One Man Gang with Skandar Akbar

By this point, Dr. Death is worn out and while he puts up a good fight, One Man Gang is just to big for someone not at full strength.  It takes only about 2 minutes for Gang to connect with a 747 Splash for the win. 

MATCH #6:  One Man Gang with Skandar Akbar vs Barry Windham

It appears that Terry Funk did not go to the hospital after his brawl with Blackjack, as he attacked Windham from behind as Barry headed to the ring.  After Funk hit a running knee to the back of Windham, he slammed his head off the steel barricade.  Windham was bleeding all over the place as Funk rolled him into the ring!  One Gang simply scooped up Barry…

WHAM…. 747 Splash and One Man Gang is two matches away from a title match and he is looking very fresh!

MATCH #7:  One Man Gang with Skandar Akbar vs Hulk Hogan

The crowed exploded when Hogan’s name was announced, and he rushed to the ring and the brawl was on!  This matched followed the same script that many of Hulk’s matches do.  He takes a monster beating and seemed to be on the verge of defeat on numerous occasions before Hulk gets the adrenaline going and makes a huge comeback that culminates with the Ax Bomber for the win.  The only questions left were;  who will Hulk face in the finals of this Gauntlet Match and does he have anything left for that last match.

WHAM…. One Man Gang does his best to make sure Hogan doesn’t win…. Forearm to the back of Hogan’s neck followed by a Middle Rope Giant Splash.  Hogan is in a bad way as the ring announcer announces the last wrestler in the match!

MATCH #8:  Hulk Hogan vs Bad News Allen with Bobby Heenan. 

These two were about to have words this morning as Power Pro came to end but the fans were left in the dark as the show ended Bad News sees Hogan down and he just smiles.  We get 8 minutes of Bad News Allen just beating on Hogan.  It seems like he is just toying with Hogan as he never even tries to pin him.  Bad move by Bad News.  Here comes Hogan!  Same script as last match as the crowd goes wild.  Hogan is coming off the ropes for the big clothesline when he is grabbed by Heenan.  Hulkster stops and turns to Heenan.  Heenan acts like he has seen a ghost and falls over backwards.

WHAM… Ghetto Blaster by Allen.

1…2…3!

The crowd is in shock!  Hogan has been beaten by Allen as the NWA fans are quickly learning how dangerous Heenan and Bad News are together.  They are also understanding why the duo were the most hated in all of Stampede Wrestling!  It will be Magnum TA (as long as he wins tonight) vs Bad News Allen in 2 weeks in Tulsa, Oklahoma

NWA TITLE MATCH

Magnum TA © vs Jimmy Garvin with Precious

If Magnum wins, he gets the services of Precious for the next 60 days

PART ONE:  TA is in control but is never able to hit the belly to belly.

PART TWO:  Garvin uses an eye rake to gain the momentum.  Jimmy uses a series of questionable tactics and TA looks to be in trouble.

PART THREE:  TA blocks Garvin’s attempt at the Brainbuster and then takes the offensive!

WHAM… Belly to Belly!

1…2…

WHAM … Precious, panicking at the thought of working for Magnum, has rushed the ring and swung the loaded at the champ’s head.  It was like TA knew it was coming and he rolled away at the last second and the purse shot him Garvin right in the skull!

TA stood up as Precious backed away to the corner.  TA grabs her by the back of the head and gives her one of the biggest kisses you have ever seen.  Precious slumps down in the corner and from the look in her eyes, it is obvious she never experienced anything like that.

TA goes over to Garvin and covers him!

1…2…3.  Magnum wins the match, keeps his title and leaves with Precious!

Awesome gauntlet match! Really well done and exciting to read.

I'm sure Reed and Williams will battle again.

Funk causes all sorts of trouble furthering his feud with the Mulligan family. 

OMG came out looking strong tonight. Even in defeat he keeps his heat by attacking Hogan. 

Bad News has a great night as he defeats Hogan! Heenan helped but that ghetto blaster shot must of been a great visual. 

The next 60 days will be a lot of fun (not for Garvin) as Magnum retains the title and gets the services of Precious. 

pxLV65Y.png?4

bpzCYEO.jpg?1

FEB.13, 1985

Before we cut to Jim Ross and Bill Watts, we see a one minute montage from the Hutchinson Sports Arena where we see Bad News Allen defeat Hulk Hogan to earn a world title shot next week in Tulsa and we saw Magnum T.A., in his first title defense defeat Jimmy Garvin where he not only defended his built but one the services of Precious for the next 60 days 

Jim Ross:  Hello everybody and welcome to another edition of Power Pro Wrestling, a National Wrestling Alliance production.  I am Jim Ross and my partner as always is Cowboy Bill Watts.  Cowboy, that was some event over there in Hutchinson this past Saturday night.

Cowboy Bill Watts:  Thank you Jim and boy you said a mouth full.  What a night it was in the Sports Arena.  For those of you who had joined us last week right here on TV, we saw Hulk Hogan come out and confront Bad News Allen just as the show was ending.   Let’s take you back to last week as the cameras kept on rolling even though we were off the air!

VIDEO OF HULK CONFRONTING BAD NEWS ALLEN

Hulk Hogan:  Alright Bad News… you talk a real good game. You act like you defeated me for the AWA World Title but we all know you NEVER beat me.    

Bad News Allen:  Keep on thinking that sucker… All I l know is that when I was done beating you from pillar to post, you were a shell of yourself and that allowed Dibiase to walk all over you the very next night!

Hulk Hogan:  I have fought the best in the world brother and trust me, you are not the best and nobody has ever beaten me from pillar to post… not even Andre the Giant!

Bad News Allen:  Don’t try and play it off in front of all these fans of yours.  When Bad News was done with you, you ran away from Stampede cause you knew you were NO LONGER THE MAN. 

Hulk Hogan:  Come on now brother… Hulk doesn’t run from anyone.  I had commitments all over the world and unlike you, I am a man of my word,  When those commitments were over, I searched all over for you cause I knew we had some unfinished business … so what you say brother… If you got the guts, let’s show these fans in Memorial Hall who the real man is.

As Hulk goes to the ring, Bad News attacks from behind but Hulk doesn’t go down.  We get the brawl of all time that required the entire locker room to break it up!

When the video is over, Jim Ross and Bill Watts comment on how they are sure there is unfinished business between Hulk and Bad News Allen.  Bill Watts now turns to tonight’s show and the big 4 Corner Tag Match with the Funks, Mulligan and Barry Windham, Mr. Saito and Hercules Hernandez and if they are still together, Butch Reed and Dr. Death. 

Commercial

MATCH:  Jimmy Garvin defeats Farmer Joe Barber with a Brainbuster!

Garvin struggled a bit tonight against the jobber but eventually got his act together and then he roughed up Farmer to the point that Bill Watts was really upset.  At the post match interview, Jim Ross asked him how it was going without Precious and this set Garvin off.

Jimmy Garvin:  I just don’t get you people here in the NWA.  First, you let Magnum T.A. slap Precious a few weeks ago and then you allow him to kidnap her last week in Hutchinson.

Cowboy Bill Watts:  Come on Garvin… we all saw the kiss Magnum laid on her.  After that she couldn’t wait to leave T.A. 

Jimmy Garvin:  Stop!  Stop that right now!  You know T.A. stole the World Title from me but you don’t even want to talk about that!

Cowboy Bill Watts:  Magnum and Precious sitting in a tree…. K-I-S-S-I-N-G 

Jimmy Garvin storms off as Ross and Watts have a good laugh. 

Commercial

Before our next match, Dr. Death comes out to the ring where he let’s everyone know that he has no idea what is going to happen tonight in the 4 Corner Tag Match.  Jim Ross reminds everyone that after last week, it looks like Dr. Death’s partner, Hacksaw Butch Reed, has joined Skandar Akbar and Devastation Inc. after Akbar paid him $5000.  Steve Williams let’s everyone know that he has not talked to Reed sense last week and doesn’t know if Reed is going to show up tonight and if he does…. What will happen!

MATCH: Chris Benoit defeats Mark Ragin with a Top Rope Diving Headbutt

Benoit continues to look good in the ring and one thing everyone is finding out is that Benoit will not back down.  When Ragin tried to take this match to the gutter, Benoit was more then willing to fight.  This youngster is really starting to get over with the Kansas City fans as his good work ethics are something these people can relate to. 

Commercial

Magnum T.A. is at the podium for an interview where the first question is where is his new “valet,” Precious.  T.A. explains that she is home on the farm learning what a hard day’s work is.

We see a quick video of Precious, with a huge attitude, being made to feed the pigs, collect the eggs, and load hay bales.

When the video ends, both Jim Ross and Bill Watts are having a good laugh and hope Precious learns some manners over these next 60 days.  The conversation now turns to next Saturday in the Tulsa Convention Center where Magnum will defend the NWA title against Bad News Allen.

Magnum T.A.:  Bad News… listen up and listen good.  You may have intimidated many people in wrestling over the last year but I am not one of them.  Bring your “A” game to Tulsa or you will be in for a very BAD  Night.  Oh, and one more thing… If that weasel, Bobby Heenan, gets involved in any way, he will become another chore for Precious as she will be feeding him through a straw!

Jim Ross:  Wow… the champ sounds real confident folks, let’s get back to the ring.

MATCH:  “The Professor” Bill Ash vs “Trucker” Randy Barber

Bill Ash comes into the ring wearing a cap and gown and is just flowing with arrogance.  He has already set this blue collar crowd off and that is even before the match has begun.  After some dirty tactics by Ash, Ash begins some technical wrestling all the while yelling about the incompetence of Randy Barber.  Barber makes a small comeback but Ash steps through the ropes forcing the ref to back Barber off.  As Barber turned and walked away, Ash rushed at him and connected with a forearm to the back of Randy’s head.  He followed this up with a Rear Flying Chinlock for the win.

At the interview desk, Ash was asked why he calls himself “the Professor.”

Bill Ash:  Isn’t it obvious… I am the smartest man in the arena tonight.  My education is superior to any 10 of these ham and eggers combined.  I mean just look at these hogs and heifers here in Memorial Coliseum.  Dumb… Dumb and Dumber.  And let’s not forget my superior wrestling talent.  Tonight, you put Randy Barber in the ring against me… what a joke!  He better stick to truck driving!  I mean I can’t believe I was made to dirty my hands on such disgusting filth.  I hope the NWA knows what they are dealing with and they give me some real competition next time.

Commercial

Before we get to our main event 4 corner tag math Jim Cornette and the Midnight Express stop by the interview desk where they Cornette let’s everyone know that his Mother’s lawyers are looking into the malfeasants of justice that has allowed the corrupt NWA Board of Directors to not just name the Midnight Express the NWA World Tag Team Champions.

Jim Ross:  Give me a break.  Let’s get to the ring.

MAIN EVENT:  4 CORNER MATCH:  Winner gets a spot in the World Tag Team Tourny

Terry & Dory Funk

vs Blackjack Mulligan & Barry Windham

vs The Sheiks (Hercules Hernandez & Mr. Saito) with Skandar Akbar

vs Dr. Death Steve Williams & Hacksaw Butch Reed

The first question people are waiting to have answered is what will happen between Dr. Death and Hacksaw.  Hacksaw recently joined Akbar’s Devastation Inc. and it seems unlikely he will show up here.

With the Funks and Blackjack and Barry already in the ring, the Sheiks come out to the ring and low and behold, Hacksaw is with them and wearing a traditional Arabian outfit.  The crowd really hammers him, but he seems like he could care less.  Next, Dr. Death comes out and it looks like he is going to go it alone.

Jim Ross:  Well hold on just a minute… what is going on… Hacksaw has joined Dr. Death in his corner.  The two seem to be having words but the ref could care less and calls for the bell.

The match has the crowd on the edge of their seats and all the men get a shot at showing off the skills, except for Hacksaw Butch Reed who was never tagged in by anyone.  While Dr. Death is battling Hercules Hernandez in the ring, Terry Funk comes over and clobbers Blackjack.  This leads to the Funks fighting Mulligan and Windham all over the arena.

Inside of the ring, the Sheiks are having their way with Dr. Death.  Williams knows if he tags in Hacksaw Reed, Reed will just lie down and allow the Sheiks to win the match.  Akbar has already promised to push Reed for the NWA Title so he could really care less about the tag match.

After a while, the chaos on the outside disappears behind the curtain and this match becomes a 2-1 handicap match with Williams taking a real beating.  A few times the Sheiks tried tossing Williams into Reed to bring Reed into the ring, but each time Dr. Death was able to stop him momentum.  Unfortunately, Dr. Death couldn’t prevent this forever and Hercules whipped him right into Reed who slapped Dr. Death’s shoulder to become the legal man in the ring.

Hacksaw comes in and tells Hercules to punch him right in the chin.  Hercules winds up like he is going to throw a big haymaker but he stops early and barely taps Reed.  Reed goes down like he was hit by a cannon ball.

Hercules laughs and simply puts his foot on the chest of Reed and the ref starts to make the three count!

1…2…

Jim Ross:  Oh my God!  Hacksaw has grabbed Hercules’s leg and rolled him up!

1…2…3!

Jim Ross:  What have we just seen? 

Hacksaw and Dr. Death are celebrating in the center of the ring and laughing like crazy!

All of a sudden, Reed reaches inside of his trunks and pulls out the wad of money Akbar gave him last week and divides it in half and hands it to Dr. Death!

The crowd goes wild and Akbar is fuming.  Not only did Reed and Dr. Death outsmart him, they just took his five grand.  Akbar demands Saito and Hercules to attack but before they even get in the ring, Reed and Williams send them flying!

Jim Ross:  Wow… amazing.  Akbar is fuming!  Sorry folks, we are out of time.  Make sure to get to Tulsa Convention Center on Feb.20th  for the tournament to crown new NWA Tag Team Champs and to see Magnum T.A. defend the NWA title against Bad News Allen. So long from Memorial Hall in Kansas City. 

Awesome swerve from Reed! I love that he split the cash with Dr. Death.

A lot of fun stuff in the coming weeks with the Magnum/Precious/Garvin angle I'm sure. 

I like the idea of the Bad News/Hogan much better here in '85 than I did IRL in '89.  Maybe it's because Hogan isn't wearing that goofy helmet here lol.

I agree, that swerve by Reed was  a classic Watts angle. Reed and Williams are a great superpower team. 

LOL, the video of Precious doing farm work was good comedy. Jimmy Jam is just not himself without his squeeze. 

Magnum seems pumped up and ready for Bad News. Bad News might be a little distracted by Hogan right now. 

The Professor gimmick will draw some good heat in this territory. 

Looking forward to the upcoming tag title tournament. So many good teams competing. 

kJEtfkA.png?1

TULSA CIVIC CENTER

FEBRUARY 20, 1985

Ring announcer Kevin Wahl welcomes everybody to the Kiel Auditorium and explains that tonight is the night we have all been waiting for as we will crown a new NWA Tag Team Champions.  H

ROUND 1

Hacksaw Butch Reed & Dr. Death Steve Williams vs The Lumberjacks (Jos Leduc & Moose Morowski)

Power move after power move by both sides until we see Reed and Williams take control and finish off the Lumberjacks with an Oklahoma Stampede by Dr. Death.  The Sooner fans in the audience loved seeing their old star come out on top here and we find out early in this tournament who the crowd is rooting for.

Mark & Jay Youngblood vs Greg Valentine & Honky Tonk Man with Bobby Heenan

A really good technical match until Heenan got tired of seeing it being a 50-50 match.  His distractions eventually caused the ref to lose focus and allow Honk Tonk to smash a guitar over the head of Mark and get the pin.  Heenan is all smiles after this one as “The Family” leaves to a chorus of boos while Jay makes sure his brother is ok.

The Assassins (Jody Hamilton & Roger Smith) vs The Hart Foundation

A fun brawl that saw the Harts and their talent eventually take control and we see Bret Hart lock in the Northern Lights Cloverleaf for the submission win on Assassin #1.  The interesting thing here was that while the Harts were the fan favorites, their pink outfits and sunglasses had trouble getting over with this Mid-Western crowd and it seemed like a few of the fans were rooting for the masked heels.

The Midnight Express vs The U.S. Express (Tony Atlas & Hacksaw Duggan)

The crowd is really into this one…. A patriotic team in the Mid-West plays really nicely and a wimpy man in a suit with a tennis rackets is instant heat!  Unfortunately, that tennis racket came into play as Tony Atlas was hit with a racket shot and Bobby Eaton followed it up with an Alabama Jammer (Top Rope Elbow Drop) for the win!

SEMI-FINALS

Butch Reed & Dr. Death Steve Williams vs Greg Valentine & Honky Tonk Man with Bobby Heenan

Awesome match that saw Honk Tonk Man somehow have another guitar.  The funny thing here was that Reed went over to HTM before the match and ripped the guitar from his hands and then shatter it against the steel ring post to make sure it did not come into play.  That was only the beginning of the problems for Honky Tonk as he was accidently on the receiving end of a big forearm by his own teammate.  Reed followed this up with a Top Rope Flying Shoulder Block and get the three count.

The Midnight Express with Jim Cornette vs The Hart Foundation

An instant classic that saw Bret Hart lock in the Northern Lights Cloverleaf on Dennis Condrey right in the center of the ring.  Corny jumps up on the apron to try and distract the ref!

WHAM… Jim “The Anvil” Neidhart rushes over and hits Corny with a big Clothesline!

As Corny flies off the apron almost everyone is watching the action on the outside. 

WHAM… Alabama Jammer by Eaton right on the head of Bret Hart…

Condrey scrambles on top for the pin attempt

DING…DING… DING!

Many in the crowd are confused as the ref never made the count.  So why is the bell ringing?  The ring announcer explains that the ref’s decision was that Condrey had tapped out just before Eaton had interfered

In a bit of a controversial decision, the Hart Foundation moves on to the finals

NWA WORLD TITLE MATCH: Magnum T.A. vs Bad News Allen with Bobby Heenan

The finish…

After a match that lasts over 20 minutes, we pick it up with Magnum being whipped into the ropes and Heenan grabbing his leg causing him to trip and fall.  This was about the 10th time Heenan has gotten involved and the crowd is getting sick and tired of it.

All of a sudden, the audience erupts as Hulk Hogan comes big-stepping down the aisle and goes right after Heenan.  Heenan runs around the ring with the Hulkster in hot pursuit.  One lap around the ring and up the aisle and Heenan and Hulkster are gone. 

Bad News still has the momentum in the ring, but it turns out this slight distraction was the direct cause of the ending.

Bad News waits for Magnum to struggle to his feet as he sets up the Ghetto Blaster.

WHAM… T.A saw Bad News coming in for the finish and he somehow managed to catch Bad News with the Belly to Belly Suplex!

1…2…3.  Magnum T.A. is successful is his title defense as Hogan has foiled Heenan and Bad News’s plan!

NWA WOLRD TAG TEAM TOURNAMENT FINALS

The Hart Foundation vs Hacksaw Butch Reed & Dr. Death Steve Williams

One thing for certain is the Harts went from crowd favorites to public enemy #1 in just about 2 hours as the crowd is clearly behind Dr. Death and Reed.  This is fine with the Harts as they seem to relish in being the villains. In fact, they were responsible for bringing this match to the gutter on many occasions.  This seemed fine Reed and Dr. Death and the brawl was on.  This match became a war of attrition as both teams had many near falls but neither could get the victory.  The fans were on the edge of their seats but in the end, they all went home happy as Dr. Death hit his 3rd Oklahoma Stampede on Jim Neidhart and this time Reed blocked Bret from making the save and Reed and Dr. Death became the new NWA World Tag Team Champions.