Pro Wrestling Only

WWE TV 01/27 - 02/02 R.I.P. Kobe

KawadaSmile

• Replies 119
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

10 hours ago, Stiva said:

Orton is frustrating precisely because he can have moments such as Monday littered amongst long spells of mediocrity. This would be a perfect time to go on a Punting Tour 2.0 but I could see why they wouldn't want him going around kicking people in the dome.

Absolutely this. Orton would probably be a no-doubt all time great if he could just be bothered to give a shit 75% of the time. I suppose that's what happens when you had everything given to you at an early age, there's no desire to want to go all out and prove anything. 

I'm not surprised in the slightest.

At least ever since the Attitude Era, a large portion of fans have associated the term "charisma" with people like The Rock only. It's directly tied to being loud, brash, and bombastic. But that's not necessarily the case. There's a whole spectrum with subtleties. Charisma is about commanding attention.

The Rock is a fucking lightning rod. He is a once-in-a-lifetimer, go be sure. But the existence of Dwayne Johnson charisma doesn't mean that there isn't Jason Statham charisma out there as well. It's a more subdued, but similarly effective, magnetism. It also draws you in and keeps you fixated. It's just a different vibe and frequency.

Now I'm not defending Orton's duller moments, nor am I suggesting he's at Rocky's level of course. But I'm saying you're crazy if you can't see how he's toying with the crowd and exuding charisma with every movement in that scene. The guy was on point when it counted. It's almost as if he is educating them that he'll give a shit and put in the effort when they meet him halfway with a decent angle for a change. Wild theory, I know.

6 hours ago, Coffey said:

Just remember, as great as that Orton/Edge angle was, there's still people that think Randy Orton doesn't have charisma... 

The guy has been boring for 75% of his career. Let's not get carried away on the strength of a good angle.

Some of it just comes down to batting average. Orton gets a ton of at bats. Fifteen years' worth of weekly chances.

He's had a few home runs. Whenever he gets annoyed and complains about being at a city when he'd rather be home or does a random jumping jack as a babyface, that's a solid double. 

He's still batting .0175 at best.

1 hour ago, FMKK said:

The guy has been boring for 75% of his career. Let's not get carried away on the strength of a good angle.

Yeah, this.

He has displayed charisma and excellence a few times while being on top for 17 years. He was getting ridiculously over as a babyface in 2010 as well and then he won the title and all his charisma seemingly dissipated. 

Can't imagine looking at Orton setting Bray's house on fire and striking his pose before the flames and thinking "that dude is so boring"

But for real, his charisma more often than not never really translated to great matches. He can talk, he can make you invested in a match, and since he got you to watch and spend money on it, he ain't putting all the work in the ring.

If he were 100% focused all the time, he could've been possibily a top 10 guy ever. But then again, that dude wouldn't be Randy Orton. It's paradoxical - if he weren't so aloof, he wouldn't have a third of what makes him stand out.

With Orton, I've always had the sense that if he was to leave the WWE and go to NJPW or AEW he would surprise a lot of people. I don't think the WWE environment is condusive to his personality and he seems far more comfortable when he can be edgy.

The problem is, the WWE doesn't know how to market Orton effectively so they give him these wordy Jake Roberts-lite promos he has to cut like an ASMR promo. They're so incredibly dry, you can almost feel yourself melting.

He's also never been booked well. Even in 2013-14, the WWE made it adamently clear he wasn't a deserving champion and really it was HHH, Stephanie and The Shield behind his success. This was after years of constantly having his seat kicked out from underneath him by HHH. At a certain point in time, a character loses so many big ones, it's hard to take them seriously. 2009 was well and truly the last straw for Orton.

Fast forward to 2020 and he's been given this opportunity to appear in a money segment and he's working alongside somebody who has a point to prove. If you listened to the E&C show, Edge was extremely critical of the product and would constantly talk about details. I think Raw was a great example of that.

3 hours ago, Big Pete said:

With Orton, I've always had the sense that if he was to leave the WWE and go to NJPW or AEW he would surprise a lot of people.

NJPW I can see him having a blast, but AEW not so much. In fact I think he would coast even more, because him going there means he made bank and would only need to do RKOs. Plus he would tower over pretty much the entire roster, and there ain't many guys like Drew who could murder him with chops.

I mean holy shit

40 minutes ago, NintendoLogic said:

KawadaSmile must be distraught to see the value of his WWE stock in freefall.

No joke, if I had enough money to be buying WWE stock I would be SHOOK. Shit took a nosedive! Never seen anything like it.

Just goes to show how fucking risky those things can be. They were almost at 100 dollars/share not a year ago, now they are at half of that. Yikes.

Oh, and I am not even thinking that the Fed is dying or anything. Just that some """poor""" unaware fuckers lost tons of money overnight.

Unless George shit on someone's bag, this is just a bizarre turn of events. He was so great at doing the public facing speaking events (or more accurately he was the only one who could do those in the company without coming off like an inside-the-bubble-weirdo) and the markets seemed to respond to what he was saying. I suppose this might come down to the stagnation of the Network numbers, but it seems like most of all it was "we need to scapegoat someone for these low numbers who isn't a family member".

2 hours ago, KawadaSmile said:

No joke, if I had enough money to be buying WWE stock I would be SHOOK. Shit took a nosedive! Never seen anything like it.

Just goes to show how fucking risky those things can be. They were almost at 100 dollars/share not a year ago, now they are at half of that. Yikes.

Oh, and I am not even thinking that the Fed is dying or anything. Just that some """poor""" unaware fuckers lost tons of money overnight.

The smart people sold back when it was pushing $100. The people losing their asses are the ones that bought high and are trying to ride it long enough for it to go back up. Hint: It won't.

The great commentator of our generation, Mauro Ranallo, addressed the Corey Graves situation:

“It was a blessing in disguise. I have nothing really to say about Corey Graves or anyone else in my professional existence in the sense that everyone is entitled to their own opinion, everyone is able to critique everyone the way they would. I would never do something like that to a co-worker but that has been addressed and if anything, I even publicly thank Corey Graves because he was the straw that broke the proverbial back in terms of my social media activity and I will say here and now, I have deactivated all of my social media since November and I would implore everyone, especially those with mental health issues. Social media is so dangerous to those of us with mental health conditions and I know in the media and our everyday lives now, people are being hired and fired by their social media followings or the amount of information they post or how popular they are.”

“I think it’s a disease. So out of that situation with my colleague, I am no longer on social media. I will never get back on social media. I can’t tell you how many kids, people in general, in doing research, there was nothing beneficial to me.....If anything, it was a benefit to me. I try to look towards the positive among the negatives that we all endure so for me, it just allowed me to unhook myself from the social media aspects of life. I found myself doing way too much and it ate way too much time. Being in the media, being a sports commentator for combat sports, I am following as much as I can, I know as much as I ever did. So for anyone suffering with mental health issues, I would suggest decreasing, or deactivating your social media.”

https://www.cagesideseats.com/wwe/2020/1/30/21115955/mauro-ranallo-addresses-corey-graves-incident-leaving-social-media-wwe

Whether you like Mauro or not, it's hard to disagree with that.

Smart move of him to do that. Hopefully he can talk Corey into deleting his social media too. At least Mauro has documented issues to explain why he is, Corey comes off as a tatted up Donald Trump Jr. with his "please pay attention to me, please love me" tweets.

31 minutes ago, sek69 said:

Smart move of him to do that. Hopefully he can talk Corey into deleting his social media too. At least Mauro has documented issues to explain why he is, Corey comes off as a tatted up Donald Trump Jr. with his "please pay attention to me, please love me" tweets.

They are going to have to pry Twitter out of Cornette's cold dead hands.