Pro Wrestling Only

WWE TV 2/24-3/1 Filling in for Brother KawadaSmile Edition

sek69

2 hours ago, Robert S said:

His son-in-law calling himself the King of Kings...

Though the Brother Love thing is not really mocking religion, just mocking televangelists.

There's a large segment of the population that wouldn't make that distinction, and I always got the impression that's who Vince was aiming for. 

Of all the things you can armchair psychoanalyze Vince for, him projecting his shitty childhood in North Carolina into a pathological dislike of all things Southern is right near the top of the list. It shapes so much of his mindset to this day, from his obvious dislike of religion to his banning of terms he feels is to reminiscent of "rasslin".

• Replies 145
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well it could be that both things occurred.  It is funny that we're getting so many failures after like 4 years of not having any. 

Also keep in mind WWE often waits to suspend folks who fail if it happens at an inconvenient time, it's possible once he got 2 concussions back to back they just decided to announce the failure now so he can use the 30 days to get his head right. 

1 hour ago, Badlittlekitten said:

Drew McIntyre is pretty awesome. It’s a shame he’s already slipping into smiley “I’m happy to be here” territory. They never seem to learn.

It does feel like a better story. Dude who came in pretty young and was literally handpicked by Vince as his Chosen One yet never accomplished anything. 

While it may sometimes veer into "happy to here" territory, maybe they can do something different?

Also regarding Garza, given how most of RAW's booking has been pretty damn good as of late, I'm confident he's getting a shine from it all. World Champ withing 3 years is my bet.

Is there any particular reason Mauro would need to make a Coronavirus reference? This week's show isn't set in China, is it?

The Mauro hate on this board is truly mind-boggling and it gets old. Now people are actively shitting on him for things he hasn't done. 

Am I mis-remembering but, during an Aleister Black match, didn't Mauro make some sort of comment like "He's trying to...end...Tommy!" (in reference to Aleister Black's previous ring name). I don't remember exactly how he shoe-horned it in (maybe there was a reference to the band The Who?) but I do remember it. Or maybe I only falsely remember it? Did it happen?

ThatThat right there is why people think Mauro enjoys the smell of his own farts too much. 

If Mauro toned things down 30%, like, literally, cut out every third comment he was going to make, NXT commentary would be much, much better.

I mentioned this somewhere else around here, but recently Mauro has made some subtle but noticeable changes in his work.  Both during the past Takeover show and last week's weekly episode on USA, I swear Mauro was actually going out of his way to illicit commentary from both Nigel and Beth,  and he was actually letting them answer before he starting bellowing again.  He was actually asking opinions and throwing it to them for answers.  Based on his history, I'm going to assume that he didn't just randomly decide to stop interrupting them all the time. I'd be willing to bet that either Nigel and Beth pulled him aside and asked if he'd actually let them speak once in a while or (more likely) somebody in authority told him he needed to stop trying to monopolize the entire commentary position and trying to be a one-man show.  We all know that Mauro not letting Beth and Nigel speak was one of the points that Corey Graves brought up during his infamous Tweet that drove Mauro off Twitter forever.   It is an issue that lots of people have noticed, but it seems like maybe he might actually trying to not do it as much, either because he wants to or because he was told to. That's good.  I hated the constant interrupting of his coworkers. It was rude, egotistical and unprofessional and gave me the impression that Mauro would love to be a one man commentary team like Joey Styles was in ECW.  The difference is, Joey could actually work with people like Don Callis and Joel Gertner. Up until now in NXT, I've yet to see any evidence Mauro knows how to do that. One Mauro problem down, two to go.

Now if Ranallo could actually address his other two glaring deficiencies. Namely his constant shouting and bellowing is both totally unnecessarily and distracting from the matches.  He doesn't need to be like that.  He has been blessed with pretty much the perfect voice for Pro Wrestling announcing.  If he would just calm the fuck down and stop yelling about everything, he would be so much better. 

Maybe worst of all are his stupid ham-handed attempts at alliteration.  The rhyming, the strained and unnatural analogies, the comparisons and metaphors and WORST of all, the labored pop culture and hip hop references that have absolutely NOTHING to do with the action.  He basically stands on his head to try and shoehorn his stupid hip hop references.  And why?  Because obviously that and "Mama Mia" are his "gimmick." @DMJhit the nail on the head. Mauro Ranallo isn't trying to be the NXT play-by-play announcer, he's trying to be a character and work his gimmick. This is the root of all his problems...he's trying to get himself over.  He's trying to bring attention to how "clever" he is.  That's not his job.  He doesn't need a gimmick. 

NXT is a damn developmental league, so how about instead of trying to be the fucking pasty, white, middle aged version of hip hop Dr. Seuss, he just does his fucking job and gets the talent over? His job is to describe the match, but Mauro Ranallo is more concerned with coming up with rhyming descriptors and comparing something to a dated hip hop song from the fucking 90's. It's infuriating.  His inability to just call the fucking match actually detracts from NXT most of the time, and that pisses me off to no end, because NXT (and NXT UK) are actually the only WWE brands that are any good, for my money. Of course God forbid anybody actually say that to him, or he'll have another "episode" and need to take two weeks off while his manager Frank "Dog Killer" Shamrock defends him on Twitter. So fuck Frank Shamrock and yes...fuck Mauro Fucking Ranallo.

4 hours ago, Coffey said:

He's like Mike Adamle levels of bad. I'm talking all-time bad. 

C'mon, this is absurd.

3 hours ago, sek69 said:

Wait, CS isn't playing a gimmick and honestly doesn't get why people dislike Mauro?  I feel like a character at the end of a M. Night Shyamalan movie with a twist this shocking. 

Haha, not a gimmick...

But I do understand why people dislike him - I just don't agree. ;)

31 minutes ago, KawadaSmile said:

Didn't know Charlotte's influence also affected nxt booking. No need for her to beat Belair clean....

They are going to drop the ball on her aren't they?

Charlotte Uber Alles, brother. No one can stop the path of Woo (and also Vince's hard on for blondes with big fake'uns).

1 hour ago, KawadaSmile said:

Didn't know Charlotte's influence also affected nxt booking. No need for her to beat Belair clean....

They are going to drop the ball on her aren't they?

They already have. She Should have been put on Raw months ago.

So the 3/11 show is going to take place from the Performance Center because Full Sail is booked that night. That's going to make the show look even more indie than it already does.