Pro Wrestling Only

WCW Saturday Night 1988

LowBlowPodcast

Another great show as we move on from the Crockett Cup.  The Rockers and the Midnights is going to be an awesome feud, and the Jannetty vs Lane match was just a taster.... The alliance against the Horsemen continues to grow, but Piper vs Flair is going to be huge.  Bundy got a strong win, and it looks like the Hart Foundation are in the sights of the Varsity Club.  That should be a good match....

NWA_WCW_logo.png

WCW Saturday Night

WTBS Studios - Atlanta, Georgia

5/7/88

{Saturday Night opens up with footage from last week including the issue with Jim Crockett and Dusty Rhodes!}

Ross and Schiavone are joined by Jim Crockett who has a black eye. He announces that Dusty Rhodes has been suspended indefinitely and given a $50,000 fine! He says that his behavior is not what WCW is all about and he has had the WCW legal team give those terms to Mr. Rhodes. He then announces the competitors and the matches for the TV Title tournament...

TV TITLE TOURNAMENT
Tim Horner vs Rick Steiner
Terry Taylor vs Buddy Landel
Tommy Rich vs Nikolai Volkoff
Brad Armstrong vs Curt Hennig

Crockett says that we will see two matches next week and two the next week leading to the semifinals and then the finals at the Clash. This brings out Roddy Piper who goes toe to toe with Crockett. He says that he wants the title shot against Flair and will do whatever it takes. Crockett says he has a contract right now for a match at the Clash… it is against Buzz Sawyer and Piper says he will sign it any time…. Crockett then tells him that it isn’t a regular match… but rather a dog collar match. He says that WCW is looking to see if they can sanction the match and Piper says he accepts it… he will sign a waiver or whatever he needs… if he can have a match with Flair if he wins! Crockett says that if he signs the waiver… this will definitely put him in contention. Piper signs the contract and it looks like he will face Sawyer at the Clash and this time it will be a Dog Collar Match! OH MY!

Ron Bass defeated Dominic Cincade via the Gordbuster!

*COMMERCIAL*

Ron Simmons defeated George White via the Flying Shoulder Block!

Schiavone and Ross put over the issue with Sting, Luger, Windham, and the Horsemen. That brings out Sting and Luger who point out that Windham is currently with Dusty Rhodes trying to get him in the right frame of mind. Sting says that he and Luger were just moments away from the World Title and they can taste it! They want the title so bad but they know they have to earn it and earn it they will! 

Lex Luger defeated Erick Tipton via the Torture Rack! 

*COMMERCIAL*

Tommy Rich defeated Mike Jones via the Thesz Press!

Buzz Sawyer comes out to the booth and he is a wild man! He has got the dog chain with him and he is racking it across his skull and making himself bleed! He points out that the Horsemen gave him a lot of money to take out Roddy Piper… he doesn’t need the money but he likes it… and he likes beating people up… but he knows he will get more money if he takes him out for good! He says that is what’s going to happen at the Clash and there’s nothing Piper can do about it!

The Russians defeated Snake Brown & Jimmy Jeffries via the Russian Sickle!

*COMMERCIAL*

Big Bubba & The One Man Gang defeated The Shadows via the 747 Splash!

Jim Cornette comes out with the MXE and congratulates Bubba and the One Man Gang. He points out how the Road Warriors can continue to complain and cry but they can’t handle these two big men! He then says that last week was a fluke and that Shawn Michaels nailed Sweet Stan with a cheapshot. That brings the Rockers out and Marty Jannetty says he is challenging Beautiful Bobby right here right now! The One Man Gang and Bubba then step up to him but that brings out the Road Warriors to a huge pop from the crowd… Cornette can’t back down and Bobby steps into the ring! 

Marty Jannetty w/ Shawn Michaels vs Bobby Eaton w/ Jim Cornette & Stan Lane
With the Road Warriors out here it evens up the odds and these guys go a quick 8-minutes and a breakneck pace. Marty looks great here but Bobby looks even better. The finish sees chaos ensue when Bubba tries to interfere but the Road Warriors come over and we’ve got a big six-man brawl. Nick Patrick is looking outside the ring as Marty Jannetty goes up top but Jim Cornette with the RACKET and NAILS HIM IN THE BACK OF THE HEAD! Jannetty falls off the ropes and goes down! Bobby off the other rope with the ALABAMA JAM! 3-count and he exits the ring with Cornette and Lane by his side. The Road Warriors and Bubba and Gang have exited the arena!

*COMMERCIAL*

The Hart Foundation defeated the Night Ryders via the Hart Attack!

The Varsity Club comes out and they eye up the Harts. Bret and Neidhart don’t back down. Sullivan puts over how Rick Steiner is going to bring the TV Title back to the Varsity Club. He points out how the Harts have wrestled their second to last match because next week we’re going to see them against Dr. Death and Dangerous Danny Spivey! He says that the Varsity Club is looking for gold and that means any and all titles. He calls out all the champions and says that the titles will belong to the Varsity Club or heads will roll! 

*COMMERCIAL*

We’re back and here comes Jimmy Hart with Rick Rude and King Kong Bundy. He puts his big men over in a big way. He points out how Rude was supposed to defend the US title against Dusty Rhodes tomorrow night in the Omni but now Rhodes is gone so Rude is opening up a challenge to anyone! He says that there is no one who will challenge Bundy and that his first family is ruling wrestling… that brings out Dick Murdoch who says he has unfinished business with both of these guys. He says he will be in the Omni and he’d like to challenge Rude.

Dick Murdoch defeated Frank Black via the Brainbuster!

*COMMERCIAL*

Arn, Tully, and Hennig defeated Vance Kennedy, Ryan Googins, & Tom Shaw via the Fisherman’s Suplex!

The Horsemen come over and they pump up the TV title tournament and the big six-man at the Clash. Arn and Tully point out how they have a couple of open contracts right now for the World Tag Team Titles and will be defending them here on Saturday Night in two weeks against Sting and Luger. They don’t want them to get their hopes up though because just like before… it is going to be hard to take these titles. Flair then goes off on Sting, Luger, Windham, and Piper. He says that the Horsemen aren’t happy with the disrespect and it starts to change next week. It starts with Hennig and the TV title… then Arn and Tully are going to put Sting and Luger down for good and then at the Clash they will finish everyone off! 

*COMMERCIAL*

Ross and Schiavone put over a huge night of action. They talk about Dusty being suspended, Piper and Sawyer in a Dog Collar Match, next week's TV Title Tournament matches, the Varsity Club taking on the Hart Foundation, and then in two weeks we’ll see Sting and Lex Luger taking on the Horsemen for the World Tag Team Titles. 

Ric Flair defeated Vince Ryan via the Figure Four Leg Lock!

Flair and the Horsemen finish the show pumping things up… more on the Clash coming up next week!

Well another top show from WCW tonight.  TV title tournament is announced, and it clearly looks like it is Curt Hennig's to lose.  Wouldn't be surprised to see him and Taylor meet in the final.  Let's see what happens.  And I also can't wait to see the Dog Collar Match-  Piper and Sawyer are 2 crazy guys, and the Horsemen are trying to hide from Piper, but I don't think they can hide much longer.  Another great chapter in the Midnights vs Rockers feud.  I am so looking forward to them meeting together in the ring.  The Hart Foundation continue their build as well.  The tag division is so stacked in WCW.  The Clash can't get here soon enough.

NWA_WCW_logo.png

WCW Saturday Night

5/14/88

We open with footage from last Sunday night in the Omni… We see the build for Rick Rude’s US title defense against Dusty Rhodes but Tom Miller announces that Rhodes has been suspended…. He then introduces his special guest opponent… it is RICKY THE DRAGON STEAMBOAT! We see clips the match and Ricky Steamboat pulling out of the Rude awakening and then building up to hit the high cross body off the top rope and rolls up Rude for the 3-count! WE HAVE A NEW US CHAMPION! The fans are going nuts! Lex Luger is the first man to run down to the ring and hoist up Steamboat with the US Title! 

-We’re back in the studio and Jim Ross is there with Tony Schaivone and they are pumping up the NEW US Champion Ricky the Dragon Steamboat. They talk about a huge card here tonight including the Hart Foundation taking on the Varsity Club… plus two Television Title Tournament matches… that brings out Jimmy Hart, Rick Rude, and King Kong Bundy who are irate! Jimmy Hart goes on a tirade that the match shouldn’t count! Rick Rude never signed up to have Steamboat! The title shouldn’t have been on the line! He is going to Jim Crockett! He’s going to Ted Turner! Something is going to be done about this and Steamboat is going to pay baby! 

Buddy Landel defeated Chris Hughes via the Figure Four Leg Lock!

*COMMERCIAL*

Ron Simmons defeated Bryan Peterson via the Top Rope Shoulder Block!

hqdefault.jpg

Buzz Sawyer: PIPER! HAHAHA! You see this… you see this chain… it is graded in steel… it has burs… it has sharp edges that with cut flesh like butter. It is going to go across your face and make you bleed. They say they won’t sanction it but Roddy Piper I will fight you in the airport… in the parking lot… in the dressing room… I am coming for you Piper… I am coming!

*COMMERCIAL*

We return to Saturday Night with footage from a couple of weeks ago and the Horsemen’s attack on Terry Taylor leading to Curt Hennig joining the Horsemen. Terry Taylor then comes on the set to a great ovation from the crowd...

hqdefault.jpg

Terry Taylor: Jim Ross… Tony Schiavone… I have been sitting back and healing from the battle with the Horsemen a couple of weeks ago. I know one thing after being in this sport for so long… you can’t fight 1 on 4. I am not as big as the Road Warriors… I am not as strong as Lex Luger… I know that… but I am smart. Horsemen… I know the way to get to you is to take those titles. Well I am in the TV title tournament. I have got a tough draw to start it out but brother I am coming. Curt Hennig… I can only hope you make it there because it will be too sweet to beat you in front of the world and show everyone why I may not be a Horsemen… but I have got more skill than you’ll ever have in that ring!

TV TITLE TOURNAMENT
Tommy Rich vs Nikolai Volkoff w/ Boris Zhukov
-Our first match of the tv title tournament and we see the Wildfire come out to a great ovation. He is against the odds with the Russians from the get go but finds a way to stay in. Once we see Boris really getting involved it is Dick Murdoch who comes out and evens the odds leading to Tommy Rich hitting the Thesz press for the 3-count and he will move on!

*COMMERCIAL*

Big Bubba & The One Man Gang defeated Kyle Knight & Randy Yeath via the Bubba Slam!

Ross and Schiavone put over the size of the Gang and Bubba and that leads out Slick and Butch Reed… then Slick welcomes over the One Man Gang and Big Bubba! He says that he has signed contracts to manage these two men along with Butch Reed! He puts over their size and strength and says that the Road Warriors are due… and his men are going to come and collect! 

Butch Reed w/ Slick defeated Ronnie George via the Flying Shoulder Block!!

*COMMERCIAL*

hqdefault.jpg

Roddy Piper: Buzz Sawyer… you are nothing more than a hired gun man. Well… you are a little bit more… a loaded gun. Well I don’t bring knives to gun fights brother… I am bringing a bazooka! You see this ear… I still can’t hear out of it because of the dog collar. Like you said… if they don’t sanction it… I don’t care where it is at. I am going to put you down and show Ric Flair that he has nowhere to run and nowhere to hide. Flair… you may have resources… but you don’t got nothing on me pal. It was Snuka and now it is Sawyer and soon it will be you!

TV TITLE TOURNAMENT
Brad Armstrong vs Curt Hennig w/ JJ Dillon
-A great 15-minute match with some serious wrestling action. Armstrong pushes Hennig to the limit and Hennig has to get some coaching from Dillion. We near the time limit and out of nowhere we see Hennig with a dropdown chin drop that dazes Armstrong and then leads to the Fisherman’s Suplex and the 3-count! Hennig with the big win and he moves on to take on Tommy Rich in the tournament! 

*COMMERCIAL*

The Horsemen are here… Dillion puts over the TV Title tournament and Curt Hennig’s chances. He talks about the tag team title match next week! He then talks about how Buzz Sawyer is going to cash in on Roddy Piper! Hennig puts over his match with Rich and says he is going to put him away perfectly. Tully and Arn talk about Sting and Luger and the tag title match next week and then the big six-man at the Clash. That leads us to Ric Flair who goes off on everyone. He says Piper is living in pipe dreams and will never get his hands on him or the WCW Title. He says Sting, Luger, and Windham will learn why the Horsemen are the strongest force in wrestling. He then puts over Ricky Steamboat and says he may have the US title but he’s far away from being the number one contender!

That brings out Sting, Luger, Windham, and Steamboat and the crowd goes nuts!

The Horsemen back up while Steamboat puts over his return to the WCW. He talks about the US title being a stepping stone to the WCW title and he wants to defend it until he gets his shot. Sting and Luger put over their Tag title match next week! Windham asks Flair when he’s going to get his shot!? The Horsemen have got nothing right now and they will have to settle this another day! 

*COMMERCIAL*

The Rockers defeated Bobby Hughes & Mark Rogers via the Top Rop Fist Drop!

Rockers call out MXE for a US Tag Title Match at the Clash! Cornette and the MXE come out and they say they don’t think they’ve earned it… he says that they only one won match… the Rockers challenge them for a 2/3 Falls Match… the crowd is going wild and Cornette has no choice but to accept it! We’ll see it at the Clash for the US tag titles!

The Road Warriors kill Kyle Marks and Jeffrey Wright via the Doomsday Device!

The Road Warriors come over and make it plain and simple… they don’t care about Slick… they want Bubba and the Gang at the Clash! They challenge them to MAKE IT HAPPEN OR PAY THE PRICE!

*COMMERCIAL*

Ross and Schiavone put over a helluva night of happenings… they get word that Jim Crockett has indeed sanctioned the match with Piper and Sawyer… it will happen at the Clash and it will be a Dog Collar Match! The fans pop huge! He also announces that the contract was just signed for a 2/3 Falls match for the US tag titles… fans the Clash is coming together… right now we’ve got a big time main event!

MAIN EVENT
The Hart Foundation vs Dr. Death & Dangerous Danny Spivey w/ Kevin Sullivan
-A big time main event and the Hart Foundation look strong here. Ross puts over the injury to Mike Rotundo and how this whole thing got started. These guys go about 12-minutes with limited television time remaining. We see Sullivan getting involved and then Rick Steiner comes out. The big hitting of Dr. Death and Spivey is matched but the Anvil but Hart plays the foil and gets a lot of heat from the crowd. The finish if fast paced and we see a double clothesline taking Dr. Death out of the ring to the floor with the Anvil. Steiner looks to trip Bret Hart but Hart reverses the Irish Whip and it is Spivey who gets tripped and he turns to look at Steiner who has made a mistake! Bret then comes from behind with a big roll up for the 3-count! The Harts get the win and roll out of the ring! Sullivan, Spivey, and Williams are irate!

CLASH OF THE CHAMPIONS II - Miami Mayhem!
June 8, 1988

FINALS OF THE TV TITLE TOURNAMENT
US TAG CHAMPIONSHIP 2 out of 3 FALLS
The Rockers vs The Midnight Express w/ Jim Cornette
DOG COLLAR MATCH
Roddy Piper vs Buzz Sawyer
SIX-MAN TAG TEAM MATCH
Sting, Lex Luger, & Barry Windham vs The Horsemen

Don't want to presume of anything but Terry Taylor might bit more than he can chew if he thinks about getting revenge on the Horsemen after what Hennig did to him. But I'm definitely looking forward to that US Tag title match at Clash of the Champions II. This will undoubtedly steal the show, even with that 6-Men Tag you've got planned.

• 2 weeks later...

NWA_WCW_logo.png

WCW Saturday Night

5/21/88

We open up WCW this week with Jim Ross and Tony Schiavone putting over the Clash of the Champions. They talk about the matches that have been signed… the Finals of the TV title tournament will take place… plus tonight we just got word that the Road Warriors will be taking on the One Man Gang and Big Bubba in a big rematch. We’ll see the US tag team championship in a 2 out of 3 falls match with the Rockers and the Midnight Express. Plus we’ll see Sting, Windham, and Luger taking on the Horsemen and the big one… the Dog Collar Match… Roddy Piper vs Buzz Sawyer! Right now we’ve got a television title tournament match… let’s go to the ring!

TV TITLE TOURNAMENT
Terry Taylor vs Buddy Landel
-A good one to get us going with a 15-minute time limit and these guys go about 13-minutes with some back and forth action. Landel has got his working boots on but Terry Taylor seems to have something to prove and he is able to turn the tide and flip the figure-four. This leads to Landel swinging big but Taylor ducks and hits the ropes and then the big forearm! 1...2...3 and Terry Taylor is moving on!

*COMMERCIAL*

Rick Rude defeated Bobby Evans via the Rude Awakening

Jimmy Hart is with Rude and Bundy and they are calling out Steamboat and Luger. They talk about how they stuck their nose in the wrong business and now dues will have to be paid. Rude says that Steamboat is dreaming and he’s due for a Rude Awakening and the title is his and he will get it back… no matter what the COST!

The Rockers defeated The Shadows via the Rocker Fist Drop!

The Rockers come over and cut a quick promo talking about the 2 out of 3 falls match. They say that the Midnights are the best in the game but the wolf who is hungry is the one who will do whatever it takes and they can taste the gold!

*COMMERCIAL*

The Road Warriors defeated Mike Jones & Tom Reynolds via the Doomsday device!

The Road Warriors are jacked up right now. They talk about Bubba and Gang and want it to be a no DQ match. They are going to hurt them and there’s nothing they can do about it! Ross and Schaivone put over the tv title tournament match next week with Tommy Rich taking on Curt Hennig! 

Ron Simmons defeated Jimmy Jack via the Flying Shoulder Block!

*COMMERCIAL*

Brad Armstrong defeated Nasty Ned via the Side Russian Leg Sweep! 

The Varsity Club is out here and Mike Rotundo is still in the sling. They are going nuts on The Hart Foundation. They say that there is still a fight to be had and it will be had. We then get the announcement that next week we’ll see Ron Simmons team with the Harts to take on Sullivan, Spivey, & Williams! We also see Sullivan berating Rick Steiner and telling him that he has to win tonight and get the title back to the Varsity Club!

Dan Spivey & Dr. Death defeated Tommy Shaw & Mike Roberts via the Oklahoma Stampede!

*COMMERCIAL*

Ross and Schiavone put over the tv title tournament. They talk about Rich and Hennig next week and then in two weeks it will be Terry Taylor versus the winner of our next match… let’s go to the ring! 

TV TITLE TOURNAMENT
Tim Horner vs Rick Steiner w/ Kevin Sullivan
-A big time match with Steiner looking good but Sullivan and the Varsity Club is screaming at him outside the ring. Tim Horner makes him look good and it is almost even but then Steiner takes over and some big suplexes set it up and then a middle rope bulldog and the 3-count. Steiner moves on to face Taylor in two weeks but Sullivan and the crew walk away without him...

*COMMERCIAL*

The One Man Gang & Big Bubba defeated Erick Strong & Willy Roberts via the 747 Splash!

Slick is here and he’s got the Gang, Bubba, and Reed. They are joined by Cornette and the Midnight Express! They are all pointing out their feuds and the big matches at the Clash. Cornette says 2 out of 3 falls is in the favor of the Midnights and they can’t be beaten twice in one night! No way no how! Slick says he has his men bigger and badder than ever and they are going to destroy the Road Warriors with extreme prejudice! 

The Midnight Express defeated Bob Fong & Terrance Fredricks via the Double Sickle!

*COMMERCIAL*

Buzz Sawyer: Roddy Piper… can you feel the steel? Do you remember what it feels like? I was born in the steel. I was raised in a cage and locked up. I know what it feels like… I love the steel and I am going to love making you feel it in every inch of your body! HAHAHAHA

Roddy Piper: Buzz Sawyer is one of the most dangerous me in wrestling…. Hell I don’t even think he’s a wrestler. This guy is a fighter… he says he was raised in a cage. Well a cage is enclosed… you see I was raised on the streets. I was raised to survive. I have felt steel. I have felt pain brother… I was raised on it… and I know how to dish it out and come the clash I am going to do just that!

Ricky Steamboat defeated Quincy Michaels via the Top Rope Chop!

Steamboat comes over to the booth with a ton of hype and props from the crowd. He puts over the US title and he says that he knows Dusty Rhodes wants the title back… he knows Rude wants the title back… he knows there is a list of challengers. He is here in WCW to face that challenge and defend the title night in and night out. He knows what it takes to be a champion and will find a way to breathe fire and survive!

*COMMERCIAL*

We’re back with Ross and Schiavone… they put over next weeks big tv title tournament match with Hennig and Rich. They talk about the big six man with Simmons and the Harts against the Varsity Club. They say that Roddy Piper and Buzz Sawyer will be here in the studio! Right now the World Tag Titles are on the line… let’s go to the ring!

MAIN EVENT
WCW TAG TEAM CHAMPIONSHIP
Sting & Lex Luger vs Arn Anderson & Tully Blanchard © w/ JJ Dillon
-Television time remaining and these four men go balls to the wall for 17-minutes. Sting and Luger look great and they want revenge on the Horsemen. The power of Luger is unmatched but Tully and Arn have the cunning. They isolate Sting...but he makes a big comeback and gets Luger in and they take control. We are nearing the end of our television time and Curt Hennig comes out as things start to stir...a big time finish sees Sting leap out of the ring on top of Hennig and Tully outside the ring and the crowd is going nuts! Ric Flair then comes out of nowhere and he chops Luger’s knee and it is a DQ finish! He and Arn and put the boots to the total package. Sting comes in but Hennig comes and tackles him! It is 4 on 2 until we see Windham come out of the back and try to even the odds. Officials come out and try to stop the action as this is pure chaos! We’ll see you next week fans!

June 8, 1988
The Road Warriors vs Big Bubba & The One Man Gang w/ Slick
DOG COLLAR MATCH
SIX-MAN TAG TEAM MATCH

NWA_WCW_logo.png

WCW Saturday Night

5/28/88

WCW Saturday Night opens with The Horsemen at the set… Ric Flair is dressed to the nines and he is going wild putting over Curt Hennig tonight! Arn and Tully are showing off the world tag titles. JJ Dillon says he’s got the Horsemen right where he wants them… Flair then runs down Sting, Luger, Windham, and Piper but that draws out Roddy Piper! He and Flair go back and forth over the WCW World Title but Piper says it is about way more than that! He is pushing Flair and Flair says he has got more to worry about… he’s got the Mad Dog and he’s going to be unleashed! Sawyer then runs out of the back and attacks Piper! He’s got the dog chain and he’s got it wrapped around Piper’s face MY GOSH! Sawyer is punching away and pulling on the chain! Ross and Schiavone are going nuts! The Horsemen are all kicking away until Sting, Windham, and Luger run out and chase them off. We’ve got security and officials out here. Piper’s face is busted wide open and he’s a mess! What the hell is going on here?!

*COMMERCIAL*

Butch Reed, Big Bubba,& One Man Gang w/ Slick defeated Lee Marshall, Scott Young, and Tracy Smith via the 747 splash!

Slick and his men come over and they are running down the Road Warriors something awful. He then brings in his buddy Jim Cornette and everyone is smiling and laughing. Jim Cornette says that in two weeks we’re going to see the end of the Rockers and the Road Warriors on the same night! He can’t wait to unleash the Midnight Express on those teenie boppers and then when the big Twin Towers of Power get done with the Road Warriors they won’t be more than RoadKill if you catch my drift!

The Midnight Express w/ Jim Cornette defeated Geoffrey Wright & Curtis Lightfoot via the Alabama Jam!

*COMMERCIAL*

Ricky Steamboat defeated Bob Emory via the Top Rope Karate Chop!

Ricky Steamboat comes over to put over his issue with Rick Rude. He says they may not have a match at the Clash of the Champions but he has been facing Rick Rude night in and night out and continues to find a way to keep the US Title. He is open to a match on National Television whenever there is a chance and would relish the opportunity to show the world what he’s bringing to WCW. He then welcomes in Lex Luger. Luger says that Piper is being check on in the back. He says that Rick Rude has got King Kong Bundy as backup… but Ricky Steamboat has got him. Whenever he needs a partner… Lex Luger will be there for him! 

Lex Luger defeated Dominic Wiginowski via the Torture Rack! 

*COMMERCIAL*

The Rockers defeated Jimmy Dirks & Wally Mason via the Double Fist Drop

The Rockers come over and work the crowd. They put over their match with the Midnights but then welcome in Hawk and Animal! Hawk says that there’s a lot of talk from Jim Cornette but there’s nothing he is going to do. There’s a lot of talk from Slick… but there’s nothing he’s going to do. When the bell rings it’s going to be a fight… and there’s only one winner in a fight… and that’s US! And just in case… Butch Reed gets froggy… we got somebody to jump Butch Reed and he is going to jump higher and farther and he is a bad man! Climb up this tree and see what shakes your away! 

The Road Warriors defeated Mike Knight & Vance Tritan via the Doomsday Device!

*COMMERCIAL*

Ross and Schiavone put over the night’s action. They talk about Buzz Sawyer getting hauled off to jail. They’re waiting on word from Jim Crockett Jr on everything. They think the Horsemen are to blame for this. They put over our big six-man main event. They talk about the big TV title tournament bout tonight between Hennig and Rich and also next week with Steiner and Taylor! Right now we’ve got action… let’s head to the ring! 

TV TITLE TOURNAMENT
Tommy Rich vs Curt Hennig w/ JJ Dillon
-These two put on a pretty fun matchup. Tommy Rich has got his working boots on… he is down about 15-pounds and looks to be in great shape. He and Hennig go almost the full 15-minutes. The finish sees Tommy Rich get “Fired Up!” Anderson and Blanchard come out but here comes Dick Murdoch and Barry Windham to even the odds. Rich is looking to finish with the Thesz Press but Hennig keeps his feet and turns it into a SPINEBUSTER ala Arn Anderson! 1...2...3! Hennig is moving on to the finals at the Clash!

We don’t get any extra curricular with the odds evened up outside the ring. Ross and Schiavone pump up the big match next week with Terry Taylor and Rick Steiner...let’s see who will go to the Clash!?!

*COMMERCIAL*

Ron Bass defeated Frank Winters via the Gordbuster!

Dick Murdoch and Tommy Rich come out. They put over the tv title tournament and talk about having to watch each other’s backs. Murdoch says that he and Rich have had an issue with these Russians out here and that brings out Boris and Nikolai. They jaw jack a little before the Russians head to the ring for their match...

The Russians defeated Ryan Grant & Mark Mason via the Russian Sickle!

*COMMERCIAL*

Rick Rude w/ Jimmy Hart defeated Carey Wells

Rick Rude walks over and he’s hot. He is screaming that he wants Steamboat… ANYTIME… ANYWHERE! Bundy is looking massive. Jimmy Hart says that he knows that Steamboat is ducking away from Rude on National Television… he knows that he is afraid of Rude and when they do face off… it is going to be the end of Steamboat… and if Lex Luger gets involved… he is going to get AVALANCHED!

*COMMERCIAL*

Ross and Schiavone are back putting over the night. They say that Piper has received medical aide. Jim Crockett is going to ask both men to sign a waiver for their match at the clash. They put over the big six-man main event… let’s head to the ring!

MAIN EVENT
Ron Simmons & The Hart Foundation vs the Varsity Club (Sullivan, Spivey, & Williams)
-We’ve got about 18-minutes of television remaining. These guys go about 15-minutes with some real slick tags. Rotundo outside the ring is trying to get involved while Steiner is aimlessly walking around. Ron Simmons looks jacked to the gills and the Harts are looking amazing here. The finish sees some chaos with all six-men involved. The finish sees Rick Steiner accidently distract Sullivan who turns to scream at him until the Hitman comes from behind with a backslide and the 3-count! The crowd pops huge…. Sullivan and the Varsity Club are screaming at Steiner… what is going on here?! Over at the booth… wait a second… that’s Roddy Piper! He has got a huge bandage on his forehead...

Roddy Piper: They had to put stitches in my skull… they told me I may have a concussion… they said I shouldn’t be putting myself into a match… Crockett says I have to sign a waiver.  Well if you want blood… you got it! Sawyer… I am going to sign that waiver in blood… but at the Clash… I am going to end your career… in blood! 

June 8, 1988
DOG COLLAR MATCH
SIX-MAN TAG TEAM MATCH

• 2 weeks later...

NWA_WCW_logo.png

WCW Saturday Night

6/4/88

Jim Ross and Tony Schiavone are here and they are pumping up the Clash in a HUGE way! They talk about the big US Tag Title match and how tonight we will see a preview of that when the One Man Gang and Big Bubba take on the Rockers in our main event. Tonight we will hear from the Horsemen along with Sting, Windham, and Luger. Plus… we have taped interviews from Buzz Sawyer and Roddy Piper. We will also see the semifinals of the tv title tournament… who will go on to face Curt Hennig at the Clash… will it be Terry Taylor or Rick Steiner? All that and more here tonight… 

Ron Bass & Black Bart defeated Chris Marcus & Tony Wyld via the Gordbuster!

*COMMERCIAL*

Dick Murdoch & Tommy Rich defeated the Shadows via The Brainbuster!

Ricky Steamboat comes out to a great ovation. He puts the US title on the table and says he’s tired of Rick Rude calling him a liar and ducking out… he says that in two weeks we’re in Charlotte for a special Saturday Night… well he’s got the open contract right here… he tells Rude to sign on the dotted line and put his money where his mouth is! 

The Russians defeated Bob Emory & Hugh Davis via the Russian Sickle!

*COMMERCIAL*

Taped promo from Buzz Sawyer Inside some kind of a cell...
Buzz Sawyer: Roddy Piper… I told you I was born in the steel… I have stayed in a cage my entire life. The steel has become a part of me and last week I made it a part of you! I tore your face off but just a little bit… cuz at the Clash I am going to tear it all the way off Piper! You say I will be done in blood… but it will be your blood. HAHAHAHA!

King Kong Bundy w/ Jimmy Hart defeated Vance McMichal & Sammy Bough via the Avalanche and 5-count!

Jimmy Hart comes over and he’s hot! He has got Bundy and Rude all pumped up. Hart says he has looked over the contract… but in order for him to sign it… he has a contract right here for Ricky Steamboat to sign… it is a one on one match against King Kong Bundy next week! Steamboat comes out to a huge pop and he grabs the contract and signs it… Rude then signs his… next week it is Steamboat vs Bundy and in two weeks the US title is on the line with Rude vs Steamboat… OH MY!

Brad Armstrong defeated Tony Shaw via the Side Russian Leg Sweep!

*COMMERCIAL*

We’re back with Ross and Schiavone putting over the TV title tournament… they put over all the results and it has come to our final match. They talk about the controversy between Steiner and the Varsity Club right now. They talk about how Terry Taylor is still recovering from that attack from the Horsemen… fans who will go on? Let’s go to the ring! 

TV TITLE TOURNAMENT
Terry Taylor vs Rick Steiner
-An interesting note… no Varsity Club out here with Rick Steiner… but he comes out like a ball of fire and he’s looking to make an impact. We go about 12-minutes but then Sullivan comes out and he has got Rotundo, Spivey, and Williams with him. They watch on and now it is Rick who is trying to figure out what’s going on… he has Taylor ready to be finished and he goes up top for a bulldog but it is Rotundo who comes over and shakes the ropes and Steiner goes down and ctoches himself… what the hell… Taylor doesn’t know what happens but he goes over and picks him up for a SUPERPLEX for the 3-count! Taylor is moving on to take on Hennig at the Clash but this isn’t done…

Taylor gets out of the ring as the Varsity Club gets in… they pick up Rick Steiner and hold him… Sullivan then starts slapping him in the face...they Danny Spivey turns him around for a POWERBOMB! They leave him lay in the middle of the ring...

*COMMERCIAL*

Ron Simmons defeated Curtis Knight via the Top Rope Shoulder Block!

Sting, Luger, & Windham come over and pump up the crowd. They talk about being hot and ready for the Clash. They talk about being a unit right now… they are one and as one they will beat the Horsemen...They also let the Varsity Club know they saw what happened with Rick Steiner… they let Rick know they have his back if he needs it!

Big Scott Hall defeated Frankie DeCelio via the fall away slam! 

*COMMERCIAL*

Taped promo from Roddy Piper… outside by a bunch of dog cages…
Roddy Piper: Let me say this.. I’ve seen the doctor… I have consulted with the medics… they say I shouldn’t be in the match. Jim Crockett says I shouldn’t be in the match. But I say I am going to be in the match. It isn’t about winning or losing it is about surviving and Buzz Sawyer I have been a survivor my entire life. You want to wrap me in steel… brother you better be ready… like these dogs.. I am hungry and I am coming to hunt!

We’re back in the studio and here come the Horsemen. JJ Dillion leads them out and they all have a say in things to come. Dillion puts over the Clash and the two big match their in. He also talks about the Great American Bash coming up and how his men will defends the titles every night and still walk out with the Gold! Hennig then puts over the tv title match with Terry Taylor and says that business isn’t finished. He plans on putting a perfect end to Terry Taylor at the Clash and walking out with the Gold! Arn and Tully put over the tag team ranks but talk about being on the top of the mountain and looking all the way down at any and all challengers. They put over the Bash tour and talk about facing everyone and walking out with the Gold no matter who or where it happens! Ric Flair then goes off on Piper, Sting, Windham, and Luger. He says he will defends the title at the Bash but first it is the Clash and he and Double A and Tully are going to put an end to Sting, Luger, and Windham and it isn’t going to be pretty!

Butch Reed w/ Slick defeated Wallace Hughes via the Top Rope Shoulder Block!

*COMMERCIAL*

Tony and Jim put over all the happenings from the night. They pump up the big Clash this week on WTBS. They run down the card and then pump up the big main event we’ve got… let’s go to the ring! 

MAIN EVENT
The Rockers vs Big Bubba & The One Man Gang w/ Slick
-A big time main event with a lot of action. The power of Gang and Bubba is too much for the Rockers but their speed evens the odds a bit. Before too long we get Jim Cornette and the MXE come out but then Butch Reed is with them. It looks like things are going to break loose when the Road Warriors come out. We get some chaos when Slick and Cornette try to interfere and then the MXE jump in and we’ve got a DQ. The Road Warriors jump in and it is a 4 on 5 battle but then out of the back comes STING to even the odds! He joins the Road Warriors and Rockers and they back up the heels! This must have been who the Road Warriors were talking about! He’s their fifth man and the sides are even but Slick and Cornette are backing their men up… What will happen at the Clash!?!

June 8, 1988
Terry Taylor vs Curt Hennig w/ JJ Dillon
DOG COLLAR MATCH
SIX-MAN TAG TEAM MATCH

I fell a little behind, and have just "binge watched" about 4 episodes.  Really enjoying what you are building here.  The card is looking stacked following the arrival of Ricky Steamboat.  The Horsemen have a lot of people gunning for them... but they are still the Horsemen.  Taylor hoping to prove himself against Hennig in the TV title tournament will be very interesting.  I love the union of Big Bubba and One Man Gang, and can't wait to see them face the Road Warriors.  And Piper is a man on a mission.  I don't think that Sawyer stands a chance against him in the Dog Collar Match, and then I think Piper is coming for Ric Flair.

Hey bro, I am finally getting around to giving some feedback!  I am just going to start with the last two shows and move forward with you!

There is a symmetry to your shows that I am used to that reminds me of the Territory Wars days.  It's nice to see consistency.

WCW is a chaotic place right now!  Piper and Sawyer is off the hook, I cannot wait to see these two maniacs go leave it all in the ring, as you know they will.

I loved the move you had Curt Hennig do to Tommy Rich, the reverse of the Thesz Press to win his match.  I can just hear the thud on the mat.

Rockers vs. MXE is a dream match for me, what a crying shame we never got to see it.  Bring it to life, man!

Ricky Steamboat and Rick Rude is probably my favorite feud you have going right now.  I raised my eyebrows and actually said "Damn!" out loud when I found out we are getting Steamboat and Bundy first!

I have always loved the Varsity Club, although the dog-faced gremlin might not feel the same way.  Could it be that shunning him could be a tipping point that doesn't work in their favor?

Great rich storylines and fantastic feuds are what I got out of these last two WCW shows.  COC is going to be a barn burner!

NWA_WCW_logo.png

WCW Saturday Night

6/11/88

Saturday Night opens with footage from the Clash and we see the controversy of the TV title and US Tag Titles. Ross and Schiavone are joined by Jim Crockett right off the bat. He puts over how the managers have gotten a little too involved for him. He announces that the US tag title controversy has caused him to make a decision… due to the interference from Jim Cornette… he announces that next week from Charlotte… it will be the Rockers vs the Midnight Express… but it will be inside a steel cage! That brings out Cornette and the MXE and they are going nuts. Cornette can’t believe it but Crockett says they have to sign the contract or else they forfeit the titles! Cornette can’t control himself but Bobby and Lane tell him to sign it and next week we’ve got two big title matches already on the books! Crockett says he wants to talk to the Horsemen and will be out here later to do just that...

*COMMERCIAL*

Tommy Rich & Dick Murdoch defeated the Shadows via the Brainbuster!

Rich and Murdoch are cutting a promo before the Russians come out and challenge them to a match next week! Murdoch and Rich say they don't’ want to wait but the Russians say they are going to demolish them and make mother Russia proud!

Ron Bass defeated Quincy Stone via the Gordbuster!

*COMMERCIAL*

Scott Hall defeated George Williams via the Fall Away Slam!

The Rockers are here and cut a quick promo putting over the big tag title cage match next week. They say that they understand the ruling on the title match the other night but when it comes to the cage there will be a winner… and when it is all said and done there will be champions… NEW CHAMPIONS!

Black Bart defeated Kenny Hooper via the Bulldog!

*COMMERCIAL*

Ron Simmons defeated Carl Dedrick via the Top Rope Shoulder Block!

Rick Steiner comes out and he is trying to talk to Jim Ross and Tony Schaivone. He says he doesn’t need the Varsity Club… but then Sullivan comes out with the rest. Sullivan goes on to say that it was just a test. He is hazing Steiner to see if he’s tough enough...that leads to Sullivan showing him a little plaque he made him. Then we see Spivey and Williams come up from behind again and grab him and then Sullivan destroys the plaque across his skull! The plaque is shattered and Steiner is down as the Varsity Club lays the boots to him… out of the back EDDIE GILBERT shows up out of nowhere and tries to fend them off before Ron Simmons comes to help! The Varsity Club backs off as Gilbert and Simmons help Rick Steiner up to his feet...

*COMMERCIAL*

hqdefault.jpg

We’re back and Eddie Gilbert and Rick Steiner along with Ron Simmons are with Jim Ross and Tony Schiavone… Gilbert goes on to say that he and Rick Steiner have had a storied past. Gilbert acted as a mentor to him but saw how Steiner got coerced into the dark side with Kevin Sullivan. Eddie Gilbert says he’s here to back up Ricky anytime and wants to help form a true All-American team with Rick Steiner and Ron Simmons! Ross and Schiavone put this over in a big way as we head to our next contest…

TerryTaylor defeated Willy Vaughn via the Five-Arm!

Taylor walks back over to the booth and he wants to know what Jim Crockett is going to do about his television title rematch. Crockett walks back out and says he has finalized a deal and is waiting for the Horsemen to come back out when we come back...

*COMMERCIAL*

We’re back and the Horsemen have joined Jim Crockett out at the booth… they have the tv, tag, and world titles on display while Terry Taylor is there with Randy Anderson, Nick Patrick, and Tommy Young holding him back! They are all downplaying Taylor… but Crockett goes on to say that the first matches have been signed for the Great American Bash but there are special stipulations… Crockett looks to JJ and announces that due to the interference by him and Jim Cornette… he made the decision for the US tag titles to be decided in a cage match… but for JJ he is offering him a choice. JJ smiles… he says that at the Bash…  the tv title will be on the line when Terry Taylor challenges Curt Hennig...The Tag Team titles will be on the line when Lex Luger and Barry Windham challenge Arn Anderson and Tully Blanchard… and that World Title will be on the line when Ric Flair defends against RODDY PIPER!  The crowd pops huge for those three matches! The Horsemen aren’t happy but then Crockett says one more thing… he says that JJ Dillion has a choice… he can only be ringside for ONE OF THE MATCHES! Crockett tells him to make his choice and let him know by the end of the show! What a huge announcement… JJ Dillion has till the end of the show… oh my! 

*COMMERCIAL*

Lex Luger defeated Johnny Swazak via the Torture Rack!

Roddy Piper, Luger, and Windham are here to put over their title matches with the Horsemen at the Great American Bash. They know JJ Dillion has got a big decision on which match he’s going to attend… Luger and Windham don’t care if he’s there… they want the tag titles and will do whatever it takes to get them! Roddy Piper then goes off about how he has put down everyone in his path to Ric Flair. He talks about their history going back ten years ago… but it comes to this. Piper says the road to the bash is going to be fun and ROWDY!

Barry Windham defeated Nicholas Santoro via the SUPERPLEX!

*COMMERCIAL*

We’re back with Jim Cornette and Slick out here with their men. Cornette is still going off on how this is a travesty that they have to defend the titles next week in a cage! Cornette then screams about he heard the Road Warriors talking about War and he knows what that means. Cornette and his men steam off...This brings Slick to the forefront and he puts over his men. He says the battle between the Twin Towers of Power and the Road Warriors is far, far from over. He talks about Butch Reed being the top contender for any title in WCW and he says he is going so far as to challenge anyone in the back right now to a match! Reed gets in the ring and starts flexing around. He is screaming that he will face anyone and then the crowd explodes when Sting’s music hits! Here he comes and we’ve got a match!

Sting vs Butch Reed w/ Slick
-An impromptu matchup here and the crowd is rocking when the Stinger starts hammering away at Reed and he has got him rocking and reeling from the outset! Reed tries to get some offense but nothing doing and Sting even hits the Stinger Splash! Reed is reeling and Sting with a clothesline over the top to the floor! Sting is ready to leap over the ropes but Bubba and Gang get in front of him and then come to the ring but that brings out the Road Warriors! This one breaks down and Slick pulls his men out of the fight quickly!

*COMMERCIAL*

We’re back and Sting and the Road Warriors are putting over this issue with Reed, Gang, and Bubba! Sting then answers the question that he debuted a new move the other night… the Scorpion Death Drop! He says it is the perfect way to finish someone off after the Stinger Splash and if he still wants to add some pressure he’ll lock in the Scorpion Death Lock! The Road Warriors then take over and they put over exactly what Jim Cornette was talking about… the Great American Bash is all about WAR and WAR is what they’re declaring on Jim Cornette… the Midnight Express...Slick… Butch Reed… Big Bubba… One Man Gang… and anyone else who gets involved! Jim Ross thinks he knows what this means… right now let’s head to the ring...

The Hart Foundation defeated Bobby Kyle & Justin Hopkins via the Hart Attack!

The Hitman and the Anvil come over and put over their issue with the Varsity Club. They talk about what happened with Rick Steiner earlier and they say that the Varsity Club is going to be in their rearview mirror and soon it will be the World tag team titles around their waists! 

*COMMERCIAL*

JR and Tony put over an amazing night. They talk about Jim Crockett’s decree and the decision that needs to be made by JJ Dillion before the end of the episoide. They talk about next week’s big show from Charlotte where we will see Ricky Steamboat defending the US title against Rick Rude… the US Tag Titles in a cage match with the Rockers and MXE… plus we’ll see Tommy Rich and Dick Murdoch against the Russians… Ron Simmons vs Danny Spivey… and Terry Taylor vs Arn Anderson on that special broadcast. Right now we’ve got Ricky Steamboat taking on King Kong Bundy and we hope to hear from JJ Dillion before the end of the episode! Right now we’ve got our main event… let’s go to the ring!

MAIN EVENT
Ricky Steamboat vs King Kong Bundy w/ Jimmy Hart
-Big time main event to set up next week’s clash for the US Title… Steamboat is a real pro and makes Bundy look great here. Bundy can get some serious heat and really works over Steamboat who is one of the best sellers in the business. Steamboats speed is what turns the tide though when Bundy goes for a huge splash in the corner and he moves! Steamboat then goes on a tear with some huge strikes and then goes up top for a huge karate chop! Bundy is staggered! Steamboat goes up again but this time Rude gets involved and Steamboat leaps off the rope and cross body on Rude and the crowd is going nuts! Steamboat goes back in the ring and hammers away at Bundy but Rude comes in and attacks him for the DQ finish. Rude and Bundy are tearing him apart and then the crowd explodes when Lex Luger runs out and joins him! Luger with some big time shots and he hammers both men out of the ring to the floor. He joins Steamboat and helps him up. Ross and Schiavone put it over in a big way and say JJ Dillion is coming out when we come back!

*COMMERCIAL*

We’re back with just a couple of minutes left. The final segment sees JJ Dillon come out with Jim Crockett. JJ says that he has to choose one and JJ adbides… JJ says he is going to accompany Ric Flair to the ring against Roddy Piper. Crockett says he understands that and figured it would be choice. So in the contract for the World Title match… since JJ Dillion signed for the World Title match… Roddy Piper got to choose someone who would be HANDCUFFED to JJ Dillion outside the ring! Dillion is going nuts! Crockett says that Roddy Piper will produce his person next week. 

JJ Dillon storms off but stops dead in his tracks… wait just a minute…

hqdefault.jpg

DUSTY RHODES IS HERE! He walks over to Jim Crockett….

Dusty: Jim Crockett… I will admit the last month has been hard times on Dusty Rhodes and his family. A recent business venture opened up some opportunities for me that will change the course of my career and the career of my son Dustin for a long time coming… but first dues have to be paid. Now… I read the fine print...you said I owe you $50,000 and then I am reinstated in WCW… is that correct?

Crockett: Yes, Dusty that is correct. 

Dusty: Alright… Dustin… hand the man the briefcase… $50,000 there… Consider the Dream back in WCW baby!

Crockett: That is good news Dusty…

Dusty: I ain’t done yet Jimmy… now…. The way I hear it… Stan Hansen owes $100,000 to get back in WCW?

Crockett: Yes, Mr. Hansen has already said he has no desire to come back to WCW and pay the fine due to the circumstances of his departure and his issue with you…

Dusty: $100,000 and Hansen is back in though right?

Crockett: Yes, that is correct. 

Dusty: Well I have got $50,000 in there for me and $100,000 for him… get his ass back in WCW so I can kick it all over this country! 

Dusty opens the briefcase to reveal the cash! He is back in WCW and wants Hansen back in as well! OH MY! We’ll see what happens with this next week!

I am pumped for this MXE/Rockers steel cage match.  This feud is following the formulaic route, and I don't give a shit, because it's riveting.  I am hoping it continues on after the cage match in some form!  Can't get enough of it.

Seems like The Varsity Club has inadvertently formed an opposing faction as Simmons and Gilbert come to Rick Steiner's aid.  Kevin Sullivan is just a mean SOB.

Wow, what match is JJ Dillon going to pick?  That is a big stip that more or less neuters the Horsemen advantage in two of the matches.

I marked out for Sting answering Butch Reed's challenge!  Sounds like we are going to get a 6-man, and I am down for it.

Sounds like a great show next week, I like how you are slipping in a mini-feud with the Russians and Rich/Murdock, I love those little feuds that only last one or two shows but are fun to watch play out.

Fun main event, it ended the way I figured it would to keep Bundy strong, but great setup for Rude/Steamboat.

Damn, JJ can't catch a break tonight!

Damn, Dusty is not fooling around, he wants Hansen and bad.  Sounds like he has something brewing with a business venture ... can't wait to see what that entails!  But for now, he is back in WCW and about to make a big statement with Dustin at his side.

Great show, man!  So much going on in WCW but you make it all easy to read and follow along with.  Even the lower card feuds seem meaningful, which is something I really miss about late 80's and early 90's wrestling.  Even the opener on the big show had a good build.  Keep up the awesome work!

NWA_WCW_logo.png

WCW Saturday Night

Charlotte Coliseum - Charlotte, North Carolina

6/18/88

-We’re at the Coliseum in Charlotte, North Carolina! The crowd is white hot already and Jim Ross and Tony Schiavone are ringside and then we hear the music of the American Dream Dusty Rhodes! He comes out to a thunderous ovation and works the fans. He joins up with Tony and JR and puts over how he is back in WCW to do one thing and one thing only… beat the hell out of Stan Hansen! He wants to hear from Jim Crockett tonight on if Hansen accepted the challenge for the Great American Bash! He thinks that Hansen is a no good yellow turkey but consider the American Dream a hunter and it’s time for Thanksgiving Daddy! Ross and Schiavone put this over in a big way as we build up to our first big contest!

Dick Murdoch & Tommy Rich vs the Russians
-A hot opener with Tommy Rich coming out and announcing that Dick Murdoch wasn’t able to make the show tonight and he thinks the Russians attacked him. He says that he made a phone call and has got another partner to come and help him out. All the way from Lexington, Tennessee…. HOT STUFF EDDIE GILBERT!

eddie-gilbert-wrestler.jpg

Tommy Rich & Eddie Gilbert vs the Russians
-The Russians aren’t expecting this and we get some hot action to get going. The Russians seem to be out of their element here with this big change. They can’t seem to get going while Gilbert and Rich pick up right where they left off. The finish sees a double dropkick on Nikolai and then a Thesz press on Boris for the 3-count and the crowd is going wild! 

-Before our break we see Ricky Steamboat working out in the back, he’s got Lex Luger there working with him. Big time US Championship contest when we come back!

*COMMERCIAL*

-We’re back here on a Special Edition of Saturday Night. Ross and Schiavone put over the return of Dusty Rhodes to WCW. They say that tonight we will also hear from Roddy Piper on who will be his man to join him at the Great American Bash to be handcuffed to JJ Dillon. Plus, we’re told the Road Warriors have got a special challenge that they will put out tonight. Right now it is time to head to the ring for the US Championship matchup!

UNITED STATES CHAMPIONSHIP
Ricky Steamboat © vs Rick Rude w/ Jimmy Hart
-30-minute time limit with US Title matches and these guys push that limit. From the opening bell Rude has got some serious heat on him and Jimmy Hart is helping build it up. Midway through the contest we see King Kong Bundy come out and that builds up the heat even more. In the last 5-minutes we see both men just push, push, and push. The DEEP arm drags from Steamboat lead to a HUGE back body drop that sends Rude flying. Steamboat is looking to finish but Bundy tries to get involved and grabs his leg. Rude then come and hammers him down from behind. It is 2 on 1 out here and then Luger comes out to even up the odds and he and Bundy are brawling outside the ring! Rude is looking to finish in the ring with the Rude Awakening but Steamboat counters out into a backslide for the 1….2…..DING DING DING! GMC announces that the match has gone the 30-minute time limit! Ricky Steamboat retains the title but this one is far from over as Luger helps him with Rude and Bundy who appear to want more! 

*COMMERCIAL*

-We’re back on Saturday Night and Ross and Schiavone are joined by the Road Warriors and Sting. They come out to a huge pop from the crowd and the brothers in paint are LIVE! They talk about their feud with Slick’s Twin Towers of Power and Butch Reed along with the Midngiht Express. They put over how tonight may be a cage match with the Rockers and Midnight Express… but at the Bash… they want a double cage match… THEY WANT THE WAR GAMES! If Jim Cornette and Slick have got the stones… show up and get the beating of your lives! 

Ron Simmons vs Dan Spivey w/ Kevin Sullivan
-We get a fun contest here with two big men and they show off some power. Like the previous match, Sullivan is ringside but soon he’s joined by Williams and Rotundo who doesn’t appear to have sling anymore. Simmons is definitely outmanned here but soon he’s got some backup with the Hart Foundation and Rick Steiner! The odds are even and inside the ring it stays 1 on 1 and the finish is huge when Simmons catches Spivey out of nowhere with a HUGE powerslam and the 3-count! Simmons and his crew work the fans!

*COMMERCIAL*

We’re back on Saturday Night and Jim Crockett is in the ring. He is joined by Jim Ross and announces that we will see a return match for the United States Championship on July the 10th at the Great American Bash in Baltimore. He also says that he just finalized a match between Dusty Rhodes and Stan Hansen. The only way Hansen would accept the match was if it were to be a Texas Bullrope Match and Rhodes has accepted. He would now like Ric Flair and Roddy Piper to come out to finalize their bout. Piper and Flair come out to great ovations. They have got a lot of history in this part of the country and the crowd knows there’s some serious heat between these two. Piper and Flair throw some jabs and Flair wants to know who Piper has chosen for a little bodyguard! Piper plays the crowd for a bit… Piper then announces that on July the 10th… at the Great American Bash… in Baltimore… he has found a little buddy to be his little body guard…. He stand 7 foot 4 and weighs in at 540 pounds… he is ANDRE THE GIANT!

90203a0987b9d0ca12f41b25309a3fac.jpg

The crowd comes UNGLUED! ANDRE THE GIANT IN WCW! ARE YOU KIDDING ME!?! He jumps in the ring and Flair is going absolutely nuts! He is screaming and JJ Dillon acts like he fants. Andre works the crowd and he and Piper shake hands. What an announcement and what a moment for WCW!

*COMMERCIAL*

We’re back on Saturday Night with a huge announcement of Andre the Giant showing up and being the man in Roddy Piper’s corner against Ric Flair at the Bash! Jim Ross and Tony Schiavone are putting this over in a big way as we head to the ring for our next match...

Terry Taylor vs Arn Anderson w/ JJ Dillon
-A solid 12-minute contest with some good technical work in the ring. These guys put it all together with Anderson getting some good heat but Taylor makes a big comeback. Hennig shows up in a suit and is working the fans as Taylor is building up and looking to finish! Taylor hits the ropes and goes for the Five-Arm but Hennig grabs his foot and then Taylor turns to give him the business… this leads to Anderson with a knee to the back and then he turns Taylor around for a DDT and the 3-count! Taylor had the match in his hands before Hennig got involved! 

Before commercial Ross and Schiavone put over our big tag team title bout inside a steel cage when we come back!

*COMMERCIAL*

We see a quick little video showcasing this feud. We see the final pieces of the cage put together and here comes the Rockers and the Midnights. There is a lot of heat right now on Jim Cornette and the crowd is really letting him have it. 

US TAG TEAM CHAMPIONSHIP
CAGE MATCH
The Rockers vs The Midnight Express © w/ Jim Cornette
We’ve got about 25-minutes of tv time left and these four put together one helluva match. It is a regular tag match inside the cage for about 15-minutes but then it turns into a texas tornado match when the referee loses control. The highlight is seeing both of the Midnights harpoon Shawn Michaels into the cage but he hits the post on the cage and he is busted wide open. This leads to the Midnights beating the hell out of Jannetty. They’re beating him to a pulp and out of nowhere Michaels emerges… he climbs to the top of the cage and Jim Cornette screams as Bobby and Stan turn around and Michaels with a huge cross body taking both men out in the process off the top of the cage! This turns the tide but it may have taken everything out of Michaels but Jannetty gets to his feet. Jim Cornette is climbing the cage and tosses in the racket to Stan Lane who swings at Jannetty who ducks and then hits a huge superkick and Michaels rolls him up from behind for the 1…..2…...3!!! THEY’VE DONE IT! THE ROCKERS ARE THE NEW US TAG TEAM CHAMPIONS! The crowd is going absolutely wild as Michaels, covered in blood, grabs the title and holds it up. He and Jannetty are both just a mess but they are champions and the fans are trying to climb the cage to get in the ring. Cornette and the Midnights have to fight the fans to get out of the ring and to the back!

Dusty on the mic is always a good move!

Nice swerve on the Russians, I wonder what really happened with Dick Murdoch.

Freaking time limit!  I should have known, especially since it didn't go on last.  I wanted to see a winner tonight, but this match also makes me want to see more Rude/Steamboat.

How weird, I was just on Youtube last night randomly watching Animal talk about when Sting first came into WCW and the Road Warriors took him in.  And now here we go!  War Games, though, that is sick!

Nice work for Ron Simmons, this is a great midcard faction feud brewing here.

Literally a HUGE announcement!  Andre is here, and you found a fantastic picture of him and Piper.  The ground under Flair and Dillon's feet is shaking now.

Solid work before the main event from Arn and Taylor, and it furthers the Hennig feud with Taylor as well.  Good stuff to keep things interesting.

And the moment I've been waiting for!  It does not disappoint and I have to say I love that the Rockers won it, but I really did not see that coming!  Great job in not tipping your hand with that.  What a great moment for The Rockers and I know the MXE is not going to just let this slide.  I hope this feud continues on for a while!

Awesome show and the GAB is shaping up to be pretty phenomenal!

NWA_WCW_logo.png

WCW Saturday Night

6/25/88

Saturday Night opens with Tony Schiavone and Jim Ross putting over the history making night last week with the return of Andre the Giant and then the big US tag title cage match! We will have Andre the Giant here tonight but right now the US Tag Champs are here. The Rockers come out still bandaged from that war last week. They put over the MXE and talk about defending the titles every night and being true champions. That brings out Jim Cornette and Slick and they have got Reed, Bubba, Gang, and the Midnights! They tell them that this is the five men who will enter the war games and they say they are willing to start it all right here right now! That brings out the Road Warrior and they’re with Sting! Slick and Cornette back up and JR and Tony put this through the roof as we’ve got War Games booked for the Bash on July the 10th!

Eddie Gilbert & Tommy Rich defeated Ulrich Von & Walter Jones!

*COMMERCIAL*

Ricky Steamboat defeated Frank Wright!

Steamboat joins JR and Tony and puts over the US title situation with Rick Rude and how he plans to defend the title against Rude at the Bash and he knows Bundy will be around but he has got someone to help him… out comes Lex Luger. Luger says that he has his focus on the World Tag Team Championship but knows that friends are few and far between and he plans on being there for Ricky Steamboat if he needs him!

Ron Bass defeated Bob Barton!

*COMMERCIAL*

Dan Spivey, Steve Williams, & Mike Rotundo defeated Vick Michaels, Wally Williams, & Geoffrey Stone!

The Varsity Club comes over and they run down the Hart Foundation, Ron Simmons, and Rick Steiner! They are putting over the Bash and how two matches have been signed… Ron Simmons & Rick Steiner vs Dan Spivey & Kevin Sullivan and The Hart Foundation vs Mike Rotundo & Steve Williams! Sullivan says next week it is Rotundo and Bret Hart and piece by piece they will tear those four apart!

*COMMERCIAL*

Jim Crockett is here and he is joined by JR and Tony as he runs down the GAB card for July 10th. 

The Great American Bash 1988
The Price for Freedom
July 10, 1988
Baltimore, Maryland - The Baltimore Arena

WCW CHAMPIONSHIP
Roddy Piper vs Ric Flair ©
Andre & JJ Dillion to be handcuffed at ringside!
US CHAMPIONSHIP
WAR GAMES
Sting, The Road Warriors, & The Rockers vs Butch Reed, Big Bubba, The One Man Gang, & The Midnight Express w/ Jim Cornette & Slick!
TEXAS BULLROPE MATCH
Dusty Rhodes vs Stan Hansen
WORLD TAG TEAM CHAMPIONSHIP
Lex Luger & Barry Windham vs The Horsemen ©
TELEVISION CHAMPIONSHIP
Terry Taylor vs Curt Hennig ©
Ron Simmons & Rick Steiner vs Dan Spivey & Kevin Sullivan
The Hart Foundation vs Mike Rotundo & Steve Williams

Crockett says that all the matches have been signed and he thinks that this will be the premiere event of the Summer for the GAB tour. He also announces a very special special drawing for the War Games matches… over the next three weeks… we’ll see random draw matches… tonight in the main event… it will be Shawn Michaels and Road Warrior Animal vs the One Man Gang and Butch Reed! 

*COMMERCIAL*

Arn, Tully, & Hennig w/ JJ Dillon defeated Jeff Jeffries, Ken Ryan, & Erick Young!

The Horsemen then come over and are joined by Ric Flair. They put over the Bash. Hennig puts over the TV title rematch. He says he’s the perfect TV champion and next week he’ll prove it with his first defence! Arn and Tully then put over the match with Windham and Luger. They point out how Luger has his mind on other things and that will prove to be his demise. They tell Windham that he could have been the 4th man but he was too stupid to make the right decision and because of that… he will end up like the rest of the Horsemen’s foes. JJ Dillon then puts over Andre the Giant and says he isn’t afraid of the big man and knows that it is all about what happens in the ring and Roddy Piper is going to feel the full wrath of the REAL WORLD’S CHAMPION! Ric Flair then goes off on Piper and says that he has been running and hiding but now there will be nowhere to run and nowhere to hide! He is going to send Piper back to Hollywood and show him why the Nature Boy is the true world’s champion and Piper has no choice but to accept it!

*COMMERCIAL*

Terry Taylor defeated Cael Deeks!

Taylor comes over and puts over the tv title rematch. He says that the Horsemen may have the numbers but he knows he will do whatever it takes to get the title and be the tv champ. He is going to keep a close eye on Hennig and wants to prove to everyone that he belongs at the top of this sport!

Rick Rude & King Kong Bundy w/ Jimmy Hart defeated Kyle Fredricks & Lyle Richards

Jimmy Hart has got his men pumped up and they put over the Bash. Bundy says that there is no way that Steamboat is going to make it. He is making it his personal goal to rip him apart! Rude says he is going to be there to pick up the pieces… whatever is left… and then put the US title back around the sexiest waist on professional wrestling!

*COMMERCIAL*

Dusty Rhodes, Roddy Piper, and Andre the Giant are with Tony and JR. They all three have got big things to put over. Andre starts by saying that it is great to be here. He can’t wait to get in the ring and prove he is the true giant of wrestling. He tells everyone to be on notice! Dusty goes off on Stan Hansen and talks about the Texas Bullrope match being the equalizer and the thing that may just keep him up enough for Dusty to finish him off for good! Roddy Piper then finishes things off by putting over the World Title match. He talks about how he has waited for years for a world title match because everyone who has been champion has ducked him. He is going to make the most of this chance and he knows it may be his last… so he’s going to make it count...

*COMMERCIAL*

JR and Tony put over all the big news of the night. They pump up the Bash and next week’s big card… We’ll see Curt Hennig defend the TV title against Brad Armstrong. Mike Rotundo will take on Bret Hart. Plus… the random draw for next week… it will be Sting taking on Stan Lane! Right now we head to the ring for this big random draw tag team match!

WAR GAMES RANDOM PICK TAG TEAM
Shawn Michaels & Animal vs Butch Reed & The One Man Gang w/ Slick
-Fun little 12-minute main event. Reed and Gang have got some good teamwork going while Shawn Michaels is a little busted up still. Animal tries to carry the match but Reed and Gang are able to isolate Michaels and they wear his ass out. A big slam into the ringpost spells the beginning of the end. We see Michaels attempt to get a big tag and he does but Slick has the referee distracted… this gives Reed a chance for a flying shoulder block on Michaels! Reed then goes and pulls Animal down while the Gang hits the ropes and 747 splash! 1...2...3! Gang and Reed have won it! They have struck first… how will Sting do against Stan Lane next week!?!

The Price for Freedom
July 10, 1988

WCW CHAMPIONSHIP
US CHAMPIONSHIP
WAR GAMES
Sting, The Road Warriors, & The Rockers vs Butch Reed, Big Bubba, The One Man Gang, & The Midnight Express w/ Jim Cornette & Slick!
TEXAS BULLROPE MATCH
TELEVISION CHAMPIONSHIP

I could be wrong, but I feel like Lex Luger has some sort of ulterior motive in his friendship with Ricky Steamboat.  Just a hunch.

I think I said it before, but this Varsity Club versus the Harts, Steiner, and Simmons is just such a perfect midcard feud.  So many moving parts and so much you can do with it.

One thing the Horsemen are always good for is a promo that oozes confidence.  They are not an easy group to rattle, even with Andre involved now.

And one thing Terry Taylor is always good for is a spirited promo from an underdog position.  If nothing else, he has grapefruits.  I just don't like his chances against the Horsemen.

I just like the visual of Dusty, Roddy, and Andre grouped together and doing an interview.  The mouths of Dusty and Roddy going berserk and the presence of Andre.  Good stuff.

Big win for Gang and Butch Reed, and the momentum shifts to the heels for now.

Great buildup show, and the Bash looks off the hook!

Just been catching up again.  The Great American Bash is shaping as a monster card.  I love the build for all the matches.  The Horsemen have a ton of guys on their tails, and I am not sure they will all be keeping their titles at the BAsh.  Flair vs Piper is going to be amazing, and now that Andre is backing up Piper I think the Horsemen's interference will be kept to a minimum.

Steamboat vs Rude will be awesome, and I am hoping to see the Hart Foundation continue their rise, and possibly get a future title shot.  Rockers are the new tag champs, but they don't have to defend their titles as they are in War Games.

I love War Games, and I love that you have it on your card.  I would have preferred to see the Horsemen in War Games, but they do need to defend their titles.  I think Sting is going to be the man to watch in War Games-  a strong showing could lead to another World Title Match.

Can't wait for it mate.

NWA_WCW_logo.png

WCW Saturday Night

7/2/88

Jim Ross and Tony Schaivone welcome us to a big edition of Saturday Night with a loaded card including a television title match with Brad Armstrong challenging Curt Hennig...a random draw match that was decided to be Sting vs Stan Lane… plus we’ll see Bret Hart vs Mike Rotundo. We will hear from Roddy Piper, Andre the Giant, and Ric Flair. Plus we have comments from Dusty Rhodes and Stan Hansen regarding their bullrope match at the Great American Bash! Right now we’re going to get things started with Lex Luger and Barry Windham!

Lex Luger & Barry Windham defeated Kenny Wright & Ron Williams

Luger and Windham come over and put over the Bash. They talk about wanting to be tag team champions together and dismantling the Horsemen. They talk about how they are still focused on the ultimate prize of the World Title but that could be in the hands of Roddy Piper when all is said and done! Out of the back comes King Kong Bundy and he’s with Rick Rude & Jimmy Hart! Hart is gloating over how Bundy is going to make sure Luger never gets a title and he’s going to break him in half before the Bash! Luger and Windham then challenge the two of them next week right here on Saturday Night! Rude says it is going to be the perfect warm up before he takes the US title from Steamboat at the Bash!

*COMMERCIAL*

We return with the Varsity Club putting over the Bash. They talk about their two matches but discuss how they’re going to eliminate one of those issues right now. Sullivan says he’s got major plans for the Varsity Club and it begins at the Bash and will come to fruition when everyone least expects it!

Bret Hart w/ Jim Neidhart vs Mike Rotundo w/ Kevin Sullivan
-A pretty good match up with two legit workers here. These guys go the full 15-minute time limit and put on a nice little clinic. The final two minutes are pretty hot with Sullivan trying to get involved but Neidhart pulls him down and hammers him with a huge right hand! Rotundo goes for the fireman’s suplex but Bret goes for the crucifix pin and gets a 2-count right as the bell rings! 

*COMMERCIAL*

Ross and Schaivone put over the Bash again and talk about the big event from Baltimore. They also talk about the special broadcast next week from Philadelphia. They put over how we will see Stan Hansen and Dusty Rhodes in Philadelphia… right now we’ve got words from both men regarding their Bull Rope Match!

Stan Hansen: Well… you paid up there big boy… and now it is time for me to pay you back… to pay you back with Blood! Rhodes… you ain’t nothing but a big, fat, yellow dog and I am going to beat you within an inch of your life with this bullrope! It was the biggest mistake of your life to pay that fine...but now I am going to make you regret you ever stepped foot in the ring with me… OOOOOO!

Dusty Rhodes: I gotta say Stan Hansen that you may be one of the most dangerous men I have ever seen in a wrestling ring. A man who seemingly knows no pain… knows no hurt… and doesn’t know when to quit. Well brother… the fire that drives you to be that man is the fire that drives me to be the American Dream and to walk down that aisle and show you why I am AMERICA! I am going to go to my roots… I am going to West Texas… I am going to the oil fields when there was a brawl between two old boys and only one man could stand tall! I don’t worry about the blood… I don’t worry about the sweat… and brother I know there will be tears… but in victory I will stand tall and show the world why I am the American Dream!

*COMMERCIAL*

Scott Hell defeated Kyle Deeks

Hall comes over to work the mic but he is interrupted by Ron Bass. They get into some verbal sparring and Hall challenges Bass to a match next week in Philadelphia! Bass says he doesn’t know and then swings his bullwhip at him and Hall has to back up. Bass smacks the whip on the set and backs away smiling. 

Rick Steiner & Ron Simmons defeated Walt Harris & Phil Vincent

Rick Steiner walks over with Ron Simmons and they put over the Bash and their tag match with the Varsity Club! Simmons and Steiner both say they have an issue with Sullivan and want to finish things once and for all. They know the Bash will be their chance to do that!

*COMMERCIAL*

We’re back on Saturday Night and Terry Taylor joins Ross and Schaivone. He puts over the TV title match at the Bash with Curt Hennig. He talks about trying to get ahead here in WCW and he knows that his back is against the wall when it comes to the Horsemen but he will do whatever it takes and he isn’t afraid to go up against all four if he has to!

TV Title
Brad Armstrong vs Curt Hennig © w/ JJ Dillon
-A good 13-minute contest with Brad Armstrong putting Hennig over in a big way and really exciting the crowd. Ross and Schiavone put over the caliber of challenger that Armstrong is but also how Hennig has really risen over the last couple of months. In the end we see Brad go for a running bulldog that Hennig counters and tosses him into the turnbuckle for a sick bump. Hennig then covers him with his feet on the ropes for the 3-count!

*COMMERCIAL*

We’re back with the Horsemen and they are live! Hennig is going wild putting over the TV title and how Taylor is going to be a perfect opponent for a perfect victory at the Bash!. Arn and Tully talk about Windham and Luger. They put over how their minds are in every other place except for where they need to be on these tag titles! They talk about contenders like the Harts, Rockers, Midnights, and Varsity Club all waiting in the wings but when it is all said and done there can only be one world tag team champions! JJ Dillon then goes on about the politics of Jim Crockett Jr and how he has tried to do everything he can to keep the world title from Ric Flair and by bringing in Andre the Giant… it will only aggravate the Horsemen to show what they can truly do! Ric Flair then goes off on Roddy Piper for a minute but it doesn’t last too long because Piper comes out with Andre the Giant!

90203a0987b9d0ca12f41b25309a3fac.jpg

Piper and Andre come out to a huge pop and work the crowd. Andre says he is going to make sure there is a winner… FAIR AND SQUARE! Piper goes off about how Ric Flair doesn’t get any more promo time now that he and Andre are in town. Flair is livid. Piper then goes on to put over the big Saturday Night next week in Philly and he and Andre are challenging Arn and Tully to a tag team match! Arn and Tully back up a little while JJ is saying no...no...no… Arn and Tully aren’t sure until Piper really digs into them before they scream yes! Next week in Philly that huge match has been added to the card… oh my!

*COMMERCIAL*

Eddie Gilbert & Tommy Rich defeated Jimmy James & Kendall Lee!

Gilbert and Rich come over and put over their issue with the Russians. They talk about representing what is right in this country and professional wrestling. They want to be taken seriously as contenders and know the only way to do that is to get big wins and that’s what their in line to do!

Rick Rude w/ Jimmy Hart defeated Tyler Franklin

Rude and Hart once again put over the issue with Steamboat but also next week’s tag match with Windham and Luger now. Rude says that the US title belongs to him and he’ll do whatever he can to get it back and he knows that the pretty boy Ricky Steamboat won’t look so pretty with a busted face, broken neck, and no US TITLE!

*COMMERCIAL*

What a night of announcements and action here as we hear Ross and Schiavone put over next week’s card… Gilbert and Rich vs the Russians, Scott Hall vs Ron Bass, Lex Luger and Barry Windham vs Rick Rude & King Kong Bundy, Marty Jannetty and Hawk vs Bobby Eaton & Big Bubba Rogers, and then… Andre the Giant & Roddy Piper vs Arn Anderson and Tully Blanchard! It is going to be live from Philly next week in the Civic Center. It is time for our main event!

RANDOM PICK MAIN EVENT
Sting vs Stan Lane w/ Jim Cornette
-Big time main event and we get to see a real prime time player with Sting here against Stan Lane who makes the Stinger look good. Lane gets a little bit of heat here and wears the Stinger down before he fights back with a fury and the crowd is going wild! Cornette gets involved to throw Lane the racket… he swings but Sting ducks and Lane runs into Cornette who goes flying! Lane backs up and Sting grabs him from behind for the Scorpion Death drop! 1...2….3! Sting has won it and the crowd pops! He’s joined by the Road Warriors and Rockers…

Saturday Night finishes off with Sting, the Warriors, and the Rockers all jacked up but for the War Games! They all want to go in first and they all WANT BLOOD! Ross and Schiavone put this over in a huge way as time is running out… we’ll see you from Philly next week!

The Price for Freedom
July 10, 1988

WCW CHAMPIONSHIP
US CHAMPIONSHIP
WAR GAMES
TEXAS BULLROPE MATCH
TELEVISION CHAMPIONSHIP

NWA_WCW_logo.png

WCW Saturday Night

Special Broadcast from the Philadelphia Civic Center - Philadelphia, Pennsylvania 

7/9/88

A very special broadcast opens up from the Civic Center with Jim Ross and Tony Schiavone standing by. They put over the huge matches coming up tonight along with the main event  of Andre the Giant and Roddy Piper taking on Arn Anderson & Tully Blanchard! We’re going to kick things off in a big way right now with our War Games random pick match up… let’s go to the ring!

WAR GAMES RANDOM PICK TAG TEAM
Marty Jannetty & Hawk vs Bobby Eaton & Big Bubba Rogers w/ Slick & Jim Cornette
-Lots of action here and the crowd is solidly behind Janetty and Hawk. Eaton and Bubba make an awesome pairing while they’re at it though. These guys go about 14-minutes with a hot finish. Hawk nails a huge double clothesline and both men go down. He then chases off Slick before Jim Cornette destroys Marty Jannetty with the tennis racket before Bobby Eaton drapes his arm over his for the 3-count!

*COMMERCIAL*

We’re back with a promo from Cornette, Slick, The Midnights, Reed, Gang, & Bubba about the War Games tomorrow night. They put over their issues with Sting, the Road Warriors, and Rockers. They talk about selling out to make sure that none of them will survive. 

We then cut to a special promo from Sting, The Road Warriors, & The Rockers who all wish that they could get Slick and Cornette in the cage to finish this once and for all. They talk about spilling blood and working together to put an end to these guys once and for all!

Eddie Gilbert & Tommy Rich vs the Russians
-A fun little mini feud brewing here as Eddie Gilbert and Tommy Rich really blend well together as a team. Nikolai and Boris are definitely no slouches but can’t seem to hang with these two when it comes to the speed of the contest. We see them going for the double team sickle but Eddie Gilbert pulls the rope down on Nikolai and he goes flying out of the ring and then Gilbert dropkicks Tommy in the back and he falls on Boris for the 3-count!

*COMMERCIAL*

Ross and Schiavone are back and they are joined by Terry Taylor who puts over his match with Curt Hennig tomorrow night. He talks about the Bash being the premiere event of 1988 thus fa and he wants to make the biggest impact and walk out with the title! Schiavone and Ross put over that match and also two contenders for the TV title… Scott Hall and Ron Bass who are in action now!

Scott Hall vs Ron Bass
-Nothing terrible here… just a way for Hall to get over to the crowd. He does some decent work while Ron Bass gets some good heat. Bass goes for the big clothesline but Hall ducks and then hoists him up for a back slide slam that looks botched but gets the 3-count! 

*COMMERCIAL*

We’re back with Ricky Steamboat joining Ross and Schiavone for commentary for the following match. He puts over his match with Rick Rude tomorrow night and knows that Bundy will be there but hopes he can keep it one on one!

Lex Luger & Barry Windham vs Rick Rude & King Kong Bundy w/ Jimmy Hart
-A really fun contest here with Luger and Bundy getting some shine but it is really the Windham & Rude show as they bring the crowd to their feet. Ross and Schaivone put this through the roof while Steamboat says both of these men are top contenders for the US Title! The finish sees Jimmy Hart try to get involved before Steamboat comes over and pulls him down from the apron! He nails him with a huge chop. Rude is screaming at him while Luger runs… Rude turns around and backdrops him over the top rope to the floor and Luger lands hard on his ribs! Nick Patrick calls for the bell and the DQ victory for Luger and Windham. Meanwhile Bundy attacks Windham from behind and nails him with a falling slam and then a big splash! Rude is challenging Steamboat who jumps up and looks ready to fight before officials come down to break things up! Windham is holding his ribs… Luger is holding his back… this has gotten out of hand!

*COMMERCIAL*

We’re back with a special segment featuring Dusty Rhodes and his son Dusting. It quickly turns array when Stan Hansen comes out and he is demanding the match to happen right now. Dusty has to back off but then Dustin runs in out from behind him and Hansen nails him with the cowbell and starts pounding him with right hands! Dustin is busted wide open while Dusty is being held back by officials. The Dream finally breaks loose and jumps in the ring and he and Hansen throw some huge right hands before Hanen bows out of the ring to the floor! Dustin is covered in blood… Dusty is holding him and screaming… tomorrow night these two are going to go to war and who knows if either will survive!?

*COMMERCIAL*

We’re back with promos from the Hart Foundation who put over their issue with the Varsity Club and their matchup at the Bash. They talk about being the best tag team in wrestling and how they’re going to prove it and put Rotundo and Williams down for good and start their path towards tag team titles!

Ron Simmons vs Mike Rotundo w/ Kevin Sullivan
-Some juice in this one. We know Rick and Ron will be taking on Sullivan and Spivey tomorrow night. We get about 9-minutes of good work here with Rotundo getting some good heat while Simmons does his best comeback. Simmons looks to go lights out here but we see Sullivan get involved. Just as Simmons goes up for the shoulder block, Rotundo grabs the referee, Sullivan grabs the rope, and Simmons crotches himself before Captain Mike comes over and hits a very ugly brainbuster for the 3-count!

We then see all of the Varsity Club come out and cut a promo on the Harts, Simmons, and Steiner for tomorrow night. They say that the Bash is going to be like a Homecoming game… they’re the home team and they won’t let all their fans down!

*COMMERCIAL*

We’re back with our big main event. Tony and Jim really pump this one up and talk about the Bash tomorrow night. This is going to be an event that you can’t afford to miss!

Andre the Giant & Roddy Piper vs Arn Anderson & Tully Blanchard w/ JJ Dillon
-As if this one couldn’t get any bigger… Ric Flair comes out to do commentary with Ross and Schiavone. We finally get a glimpse of Andre in the ring and the fans get all they paid for. He tosses Anderson and Blanchard around like ragdolls! He is truly a giant in there and they make him look amazing. Piper has got all kinds of piss and vinegar going through his veins and he beats the piss out of everyone in his path. We see Hennig come out and try to get involved but it is Terry Taylor who runs out of the back and nails him right between the eyes! Flair then runs from the booth and trips up Piper which causes him to go out of the ring after him. Arn and Tully try to double up on Andre but he overpowers them and then slams Tully on Arn and splashes them for the 3-count! 

The final moments of the show have the Horsemen battling with their foes. Piper and Flair are tearing into one another something awful. Taylor and Hennig are chopping each other down. Tony and Ross put this through the roof. We’ll see what happens tomorrow night at the Bash!

The Price for Freedom
July 10, 1988

WCW CHAMPIONSHIP
US CHAMPIONSHIP
WAR GAMES
TEXAS BULLROPE MATCH
TELEVISION CHAMPIONSHIP

I am going to stream of consciousness like I always do, but split my comments on the two shows, so first up is 7/2:

I am already resisting the urge to peek ahead and see what happens when Rude and Bundy meet Luger and Windham.  I love that matchup but I feel like there is no way it has a clean ending.

The next match got me thinking how weird it is that we never really got to see Bret and Rotundo go at it too often.  Seems like their styles would mesh together perfectly.  Too bad.  The way you describe it sounds like about exactly how it would go down, but I would sure love to see it.  A very underrated dream match.

Hansen and Dusty in this bullrope match is cringey in a good way.  You know neither of them are going to hold back, I expect this is not going to be pretty.

Scott Hall and Ron Bass should be a fun little mini-feud.  Guess there is not much room for too many cowboy types!

I love the use of Brad Armstrong here as a legit challenger to Hennig and the TV title.  Even though everyone and their uncle knows Hennig is winning, Armstrong is the type of guy you really rally behind and develop a glimmer of hope he juuuuuust might pull out  surprise booked win.

Holy hell, Piper and Andre vs. Arn and Tully would be a PPV match anywhere, anytime, and we are getting it on free tv.  Even if the Horsemen didn't sound too anxious to get in the ring with the Giant!

Great win for the Stinger in the main event.  And the visual of Sting, the Road Warriors, and Rockers standing tall at the end is tremendous.  The GAB is really shaping up and the build is being booked perfectly.

On to the 7/9 show ...

Jannetty, Hawk, Eaton, and Big Bubba are 4 guys, when properly motivated, that can really put on working boots.  Great dynamics and mix and match potential with this group.  I like that the heels went over.

The poor Russians.  Always a foil for someone on their way up.  Rich and Gilbert are an interesting pairing for sure.  I just wonder how they will find a place in such a loaded tag division.

Scott Hall seems to be still working out the kinks in his finisher a little but a good win as he begins a possible rise up the ranks.  Interesting that the announce team puts him in the tv title division as a potential contender.  I still think Hennig wins the TV title bout but a little part of me is sensing that Terry Taylor might be in line for a bit of a push here.

Damn!  Chaos reigns in the match I was most looking forward to tonight with Luger and Windham vs. Bundy and Rude.  Great all out brawl at the end of a solid match.  This was a really fun segment.

Man, Dusty must have been going batshit crazy watching Dustin getting slaughtered by Stan Hansen, the man with no heart.  This one just got so much more personal!

I like that you are making Mike Rotundo the workhorse for the Varsity Club.  He can have a good match with anyone with any style, hence Bret the week before and Ron Simmons here.  That brainbuster sounds scary, though.  

Wow the Giant and Piper were really dominant in this one.  I love how you booked Andre in this match, he needs to seem invincible in every way, and this was done perfectly here.  Pushing the TV title storyline through this main event was a nice move, too.  On to the Bash!