WrestleMania 36

flyonthewall2983

• Replies 685
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

That was incredible. Takers facials and grunting when he was selling was like when Luke took off Darth Vader's helmet. AJ running around with the red handkerchief in his jeans pocket to signify he wants to be fisted. The druids. The Sharknado level acting. The magic powers. That really had everything.

7 minutes ago, KawadaSmile said:

Look if ancient Taker and old ass AJ had a blast of a match, Cena/Wyatt better deliver.

Bray will take it too seriously, I bet

Cena's horrible acting and hilarious over the top facial expressions can save it though.

To be honest, if they plan on closing tomorrow's show with Brock vs Drew they should really reconsider. If Cena vs Fiend or Orton vs Edge are half as fun as Taker vs AJ, that's the best way to close the weekend. Having Brock standing tall for the nth time or Drew having a coronation in an empty building pails in comparison of fuckery done right.

1 minute ago, KawadaSmile said:

Honestly, the 2 day format fucking rocks and so do those cinematic matches. 

If those become a WM staple, I am in.

Bray better use killer toys 

I wonder if Cena and Bray even knew what Taker and Styles was doing?  Like part of me thinks that Cena watched the match and just cringed knowing what they did for their match 

I was pretty skeptical upon seeing the initial wave of enthusiasm about the boneyard match, but that shit was a hoot. 

Overall show was far from a disaster. The elite workers such as Bryan and Asuka stood out even more in the empty-arena setting. The Becky-Baszler match hit the right notes. I skipped the ladder match and about half of Rollins-Owens, and I probably won't go back to those. But I left happy enough that I'll watch "live" tomorrow night.

Went back to watch Cesaro-Gulak and that was terrific while it lasted. They came up with some really inventive counters while keeping things nasty. 

The odds of them nailing Bray/Cena to anywhere near the degree they nailed the Boneyard Match have to be extremely low. Two HR in a row on that sort of thing is rare. I'm not optimistic for it, but then again I wasn't optimistic about this one either.  

Taker/AJ was so great I hope they stop at one with these boneyard matches. Nothing will top that. I've been waiting for Biker taker to return for years and damn was it great to see. AJ's best match in years.

I was surprised by how much I enjoyed the ladder match and Shayna/Becky. The ladder match had nutty bumps and Morrison is just so athletic. That Spanish fly was nuts. Also had a creative finish. Women's title match was the first time I've liked Shayna in a while. Becky was motivated and didn't focus on schtick which was nice.

3 hours ago, EricR said:

The odds of them nailing Bray/Cena to anywhere near the degree they nailed the Boneyard Match have to be extremely low. Two HR in a row on that sort of thing is rare. I'm not optimistic for it, but then again I wasn't optimistic about this one either.  

Also, Taker's character has really evolved in the last 30 years to where this iteration felt organic. Wyatt is cinematic often just for the sake of it. This boneyard match would have never worked had Taker not spent literally decades laying the groundwork for it.

That was a really fun first night but man, the Boneyard match was preposterous pro wrestling bullshit at it's absolute finest. Those two playing it all straight and serious while ever escalating nonsense occurred around them actually sold it to perfection. Gallows getting casually tossed off the roof to his death had me howling with laughter and then the double punch of AJ's hand poking through the dirt and Taker exploding the farmhouse and riding off into the night topped it all off. 6 stars and segment of the decade. 

Also, I really dug Bryan/Zayn. Bryan's seamless adapting to this environment is another feather in his cap but the way he was laying the shots in really elevated it almost immediately. On one hand, I'm glad Zayn got the win since I'm assuming Bryan wants to stay with his pregnant wife during the pandemic but man, if Bryan got the belt, we could have got my dream booking of the Bryan/Gulak Best of Seven series that could fill Smackdown TV for months.

Kevin Owens apparently was watching the Dark Side of the Ring stuff recently, first he took what looked like an unprotected shot to the head (the stairs; his hands were done and stairs looked to be high enough to at least hit his head somewhat) and then did a balcony dive.

Kevin on Twitter last night said that when he saw the pirate ship at Raymond James Stadium the first thing he thought was how he was going to jump off of it.   So the diving off of tall things seemed like a plan all along.   Which is funny given a couple years ago the idea was that he was afraid of heights

It's 4am and I have nothing to do and it IS Wrestlemania so I may as well give some thoughts for the first time in a while.

Firstly, A BILLION STARS.

I fucking loved that shit. Tremendously. I just cannot. It was amazing because every moment of this caper either me or my fiance would pipe up and call the next goofy ass spot to the absolute second:

"He should come out of a coffin!"
"No, AJ should come out of the coffin!"
"No he's gonna come on a bike as Biker Taker to Limp Bizkit!"
"How do you win? He should bury him alive to win!"
"He should hit him with somebody's tombstone!"
"He's gonna throw them all off the roof!"
"He's gonna use zombie magic!"
"Gotta say 'Rest In Peace' to finish!"

And then IT WOULD HAPPEN and we would laugh our tits off. Just the most glorious, ridiculous, preposterous camp. Like Undertaker cosplaying as Clint Eastwood in a trashy Sci Fi movie. A billion stars.

I came into this show having not seen ANY of the empty arena stuff yet, expecting absolutely nothing, and while the arena matches were interesting enough to watch and worked extremely hard, it was odd and felt more like a one-off curiosity rather than something I could do regularly again. But this, THIS, I can get around.

They need to go ALL OUT with this. They won't see live crowds for months, at least, and with hours of TV still to fill, now's the time. Nothing to lose.

WWE Cinematic Universe.

Undertaker, frankly, should never work another regular match again. Only the Boneyard for the old Takeroo. Bray matches in the Funhouse, whatever the fuck nonsense that will be tomorrow. Those are a given. But just do fucking ALL matches like this. Usos matches in the Penitentiary. Miz and Morrison can have Hollywood Backlot Brawls. Brock or Shayna can have gritty shoot matches in some sort of Lion's Den / MMA gym set up. Drew can have log tossing contests on a hill somewhere. Sami Zayn can Larry Z his way through every single corridor and janitor's closet of the PC. Orton in a Viper's Pit or some shit. Becky can fight people in her truck. Owens and Rollins can find some nonsense scaffold to jump off in Orlando. Someone can bust into Sasha's recording studio and start banging. Aleister Black works in some fucked up Satanic bondage dungeon. The possibilities are endless.

Honestly, being freed from touring live shows and the TV format should be SO FREEING for something as creatively stale as WWE. They have movie studio production capability, and hardly ever do anything with it. This is their chance to just FUCK AROUND with everything and not worry about crowds hating it or ratings going down .1 or whatever. By the time you get guys back in front of crowds they'll be a) trained to expect cinema, and b) so happy for ANYTHING. They can't lose.

Anyway, elsewhere Bryan/Sami was super fun and Becky/Shayna was super stiff and sick, loved it. Becky winning was odd but I get the rollup finish and I assume it just makes Shayna go on a murderous killing spree in pursuit of her real win, a la her NXT Title loss.

Kofi throwing the ladder at Morrison and it missing him and Morrison shrugging and hittin' the eye poke is the best highspot in ladder match history.

But on that, and also on the stupid dive Owens did, I mean wrestling is one thing but it feels particularly cruel and exploitative to put dudes in a ladder match and make them take those stupid bumps and hard ladder shots when there is absolutely nobody in the room to care about it. It's got to legit hurt so much more when you do it in an empty room. Kind of how I felt watching Angle in TNA, heyoooo.

The Boneyard was so good I am actually super hyped for Night 2 but now I'm worried they're going to persist with putting Brock/Drew as the main event, when we just saw how empty title changes look in silence and how much better it was closing the show with on-location nonsense instead. I'm also worried the Boneyard set the bar too high.

2 hours ago, Jimmy Redman said:

The Boneyard was so good I am actually super hyped for Night 2 but now I'm worried they're going to persist with putting Brock/Drew as the main event, when we just saw how empty title changes look in silence and how much better it was closing the show with on-location nonsense instead. I'm also worried the Boneyard set the bar too high.

Loved this entire post.

Gonna comment on the end part...

I think your "worries" are valid: Drew-Brock will likely be the main event, and there's no way I see the Firefly Fun House match coming anywhere near the Boneyard Match, for one simple reason: Boneyard had two one-of-a-kind world class talents in The Undertaker and AJ Styles, whereas Fun House has...Bray Wyatt.