WrestleMania 36

flyonthewall2983

• Replies 685
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

A solidly done, meat and potatoes Flair match. Unfortunately, those thrive on crowd reaction. Still very good work, the 3rd-best match of the 2 nights so far IMO.

(This was about 3.75*, last night was Boneyard 4.5, Bryan/Zayn 3.75, and Becky/Shayna 3, for reference. With a crowd, this is 4+.)

As said, the actual work was great there but there was FAR too much overwrought screaming, terrible attempts at vocal storytelling and dialogue exchanges. Charlotte randomly saying “I don’t give up!” was like something out of a 70s comic book fight scene. Putting Charlotte over should come as no real surprise but come on. She’s going to end her kayfabe career as the most dominant wrestler ever.

1 minute ago, EricR said:

I'm surprised people haven't gotten into Charlotte/Rhea because of talking or no crowd. I thought it was really strong and much tighter than so many Charlotte matches over the past year. 

People? It's only me in this thread saying that, lol. 

But the result was a foregone conclusion IMO, which also hurt the match.

There was zero doubt in my mind that Rhea was losing and Charlotte was winning. 

Charlotte winning at Mania is the default setting. 

Just now, cactus said:

I don't see the issue with wrestlers trash talking more to make up for the lack of a crowd. I thought it added to the match. 

It depends how cringe-inducing it is. Trash talk that you can't really make out is always good, but bad dialog is just bad dialog.

3 minutes ago, C.S. said:

People? It's only me in this thread saying that, lol. 

But the result was a foregone conclusion IMO, which also hurt the match.

There was zero doubt in my mind that Rhea was losing and Charlotte was winning. 

Charlotte winning at Mania is the default setting. 

I skimmed to catch up to where I was at and it looked like a few posts in a row gave similar opinions, that the match was hurt either due to empty arena or two much talking. I agree with you about Charlotte winning, just because Charlotte always gets to win, even when it doesn't make sense in a story. 

Maybe it’s just an irrational pet peeve of mine but it always feels so forced and actively detracts from matches no matter who is doing it. There’s a line between trash talking heels and jawing with the crowd to monologuing as you’re exchanging right hands

Unpopular opinion: Black vs. Lashley is tonight's Corbin vs. Elias.

I will never care about this match or either of the wrestlers in it, no matter how many "hoss stud brawls" Lashley had in TNA or whatever the hell Tommy End did on the indies.

I. DO. NOT. CARE.

Ok, I'm just going to watch from here on in, with times apart for parenting. Because I have to do that.

This one needs some stakes. Winner gets an IC title shot or something. The look on Black's face as he overshot the moonsault was pretty funny.

Just now, Matt D said:

This one needs some stakes. 

That's my main problem with it, other than not personally caring about either of these guys. It's such an inconsequential throwaway match. It doesn't matter, there's no point to it, and the outcome won't affect either man or the WWE as a whole. 

5 minutes ago, Alucard said:

Charlotte's 3-2 at Mania, she doesn't always win. That was the only match I was really looking forward to tonight and thought it was the best match of the weekend. 

That's like using HHH's Mania record to say he didn't always win/was booked too strong for too long.

It is funny that Charlotte's three wins were the three main women's titles though.