Pro Wrestling Only

WrestleMania 36

flyonthewall2983

I'm not particularly a fan myself, but to deny racing as a sport just because you don't like it seems a bit narrow minded. It take focus, courage, and skill to drive 200mph for several hours at a time, in a cockpit that can be well above one hundred degrees with a narrow field of vision, all while you are an inch from the bumper of someone else doing the same thing, and there are like 40 other people doing the same thing all around you, and if any of you screw up, some or all of you are going to slam into concrete at speeds high enough to kill you.

I mean yeah, it's fucking stupid....but I won't deny that they have balls, and they have skills.

• Replies 685
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

On 4/16/2020 at 12:57 AM, NintendoLogic said:

To me, a sport should contain either direct competition or an objective scoring system

They're two of the requirements, and I'd also suggest you also need to be able to 'play'. You don't 'play' boxing or MMA, for example. Can't play backyard sailing or driveway horse-racing.

On 4/16/2020 at 1:50 AM, Robert S said:

Golf counts because you are applying physical force swinging the club

One is applying physical force ironing one's wrestling robe; doesn't make ironing a sport. Golf does not count as "athletic" because it is only one (very basic) movement, repeated ~72 times.

On 4/16/2020 at 2:15 AM, Slasher said:

As for the physical toll, I'd guess that is more due to the natural human reaction of clenching their bodies/muscles while bracing yourself on the turns and when passing other cars. 

Yep. There's no athleticism when you're in a tiny box with very little scope for movement/athleticism.

If driving a motor vehicle from point A to point B as fast as you can whilst following rules and regulations makes you an athlete, my grandma getting her bread and gin of a morning makes her a sportswoman.

1 hour ago, Log said:

Listen, I can’t believe I’m defending golf, but if you consider a golf swing a “very basic movement”, I don’t think you’re too familiar with the sport. 

It's swinging a club. Cavemen used to do it, they'd just aim a bit higher. So it's nothing complex. The movement is very basic - try it while you're reading this, if you don't believe me - it's the timing and contact and direction and hip-alignment and be-the- ball etc that people find tricky. Anyone can swing their arms, my grandma does it in aqua aerobics (not a sport).

Racing requires the stamina/endurance to drive a car for several hours wearing a firesuit and helmet in races that mostly take place in the summertime in the South. Plus you have to make split second decisions about when to pit and where your car can or can't fit on the track while going around 200 mph. 

IMO anything that involves legit competition is a sport. Some obviously require more skill than others, but the whole idea of sportsmanship is being a gracious winner and loser.

Huh? Sitting in a heated up car while going over 100 mph makes you a sportsman? Guess that makes me a sportsman too. People sitting in saunas? Clearly a sport because you require to be in a certain physical condition. Wearing jumpsuits means the janitor at the local high school is a sportsman because he has to labor in the jumpsuit. 

BTW sek, way to borrow my comments earlier in the thread I already acknowledged everything you said, and still I determined its not a sport. You may be steering a wheel, you might have to sit uncomfortably in the suit, you might use muscles to press down a pedal or two, but none of that makes it a sport. It's a competition. Nothing more or less.

I'm alright being called delusional though. :rolleyes:

33 minutes ago, Slasher said:

Huh? Sitting in a heated up car while going over 100 mph makes you a sportsman? Guess that makes me a sportsman too. People sitting in saunas? Clearly a sport because you require to be in a certain physical condition. Wearing jumpsuits means the janitor at the local high school is a sportsman because he has to labor in the jumpsuit. 

BTW sek, way to borrow my comments earlier in the thread I already acknowledged everything you said, and still I determined its not a sport. You may be steering a wheel, you might have to sit uncomfortably in the suit, you might use muscles to press down a pedal or two, but none of that makes it a sport. It's a competition. Nothing more or less.

I'm alright being called delusional though. :rolleyes:

I know fuck-all about NASCAR, but to me, a sport is:

- There's a winner and a loser, and the outcome is not predetermined. (I assume NASCAR is on the up and up!)

- Not just anyone can enter the sport and excel at the highest levels.

- It requires skill, reflexes, smarts, instincts, the usual stuff it takes to succeed in any sport.

Not sure why you think I was targeting you personally. I assure you I was not. I care so little about NASCAR that I don't remember who said what in this thread. ;)