flyonthewall2983

• Replies 685
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Skipped Corbin and am caught up.

I think Becky came off better too. I haven't seen any of her stuff for the last year or so, really, but I know she had a hard time holding the crowd before that. Ironically, I think this one might have. They really took it to each other and the acoustics helped every shot seem nasty, mostly hard hitting with attempts to lock on the finishes but with that little underlying story of Becky slipping into her old ways in the face of Shayna's tenacity was good but Shayna almost pushed her past it with the shots on the floor. She still snuck it out on a banana peel, like Bret did with Austin when he was coming up at Survivor Series. This worked well but it was hard to live up to the first minute or two and felt more like a first match than anything else. 

In a well booked company, the Becky stuff would be leading to Ronda being the final boss to avenge her loss. In WWE, she'll probably end up losing in a fluke to some rando on a throwaway B show with no build and be forgotten about the next week.

1 minute ago, sek69 said:

In a well booked company, the Becky stuff would be leading to Ronda being the final boss to avenge her loss. In WWE, she'll probably end up losing in a fluke to some rando on a throwaway B show with no build and be forgotten about the next week.

Nia Jax is apparently coming back...

I set up an alarm to wake up early cuz I qanted to watch Becky-Shayna. I wake up and see it's already over. It was not even the opening match. Why the fuck was it the 3rd match on the card. What a weird placement. 

Bryan is a legit GOAT contender.

Re: Sami/Bryan

One way to make these matches work is by hitting really hard (and they did here too), but the most important way, I think is to have the wrestlers really, really, really care about what's happening. If they're that invested, then it won't matter if there's a crowd or not. Sure the crowd would help and they'd give a bunch more heat for Sami playing chickenshit, but at the end of the day, it was Bryan that was reacting. And he was reacting so well that he didn't need them. Sami was drawing heat FROM Bryan and it drove the match. If there needed to be a more elaborate finishing stretch like @Jmare007 said, it should have been more smoke and mirrors with Bryan taking out the guys on the outside and maybe Sami getting a cheapshot in on Gulak, etc. I liked that it was just a one hit KO on Bryan. It felt more cheap that way. They never would have booked this Mania if everything had gone right if they had, it probably would have been one of the best in years.

5 minutes ago, Jmare007 said:

Has there been a clean finish so far?

Well Becky vs Shayna was definitely a clean finish.  And you really can't have a screw job finish in a ladder match unless there was interference by some not in the match.  the women's tag match I don't think was.  

Seth stealing Andrade's gear for some reason 

Let's play catch up!

Oh boy, it's Sincere Stephanie. "Hard times!" When ya whole family got the covid and your government gives you a little tiny check sixteen weeks late, that's hard times!

Instead of replaying Americas the Beautiful from Manias past, they should have just had somebody in the building sing it. Also, the ones in the medley keep switching keys, which is awkward.

Don "In A World" LaFontaine died in 2008, and this intro is dying on my TV right now. I bet they'll show the entire thing again tomorrow night. Skip!

It's Gronk Mania! I looked at this and said NOPE!

Bliss Cross vs Kabuki Warriors. Kairi wearing the belt as a true accessory is fun. Nikki's strikes aren't. Hey, a really obvious commentary dub! I wonder what it was. (After the 2nd time Cole calls a sitting dropkick a "basement" dropkick.) The shine was a mess here, the heat was okay mostly thanks to Asuka, but Nikki should berate Michael Cole for sarcastic-selling her hulk up. Obvious edit during the Kairi Macho Man elbow!! The finishing sequence was a mess. I assume the Twisted Bliss is supposed to hit the torso.

One match down, and I would not be totally offended by some fake crowd noise here. This is drier than saltines.

A promo and two commercials!

King Corbin vs Elias. Oh dear. Hey Corbin, a countout is a countout, not a forfeit. There's no way I'm finishing this. Rollup and a handful of tights for Elias!

Becky Lynch vs Shayna Baszler. "Shit" and "bitch" feel as out of place in 2020 WWE as "fuck" did on Star Trek Picard. Not unrealistic, just out of place. Shayna is boring as shit in front of a crowd, so we'll see. Making a big deal out of Shayna's "wheelbarrow slam" move is smart. Becky's "moment of doubt" face is a blank. Whatever the name of Shayna's clutch is, it needs to be said less on commentary. There's that wheelbarrow slam! Nice finish for a rematch; too bad about the impending hiatus. This was fine, but it should have ended in a crazy Shayna beatdown.

Commercials!

Daniel Bryan vs Sami Zayn. Bryan is the most popular guy among this crowd of 2. The Superdome is actually on Poydras Street, not Bourbon Street. The no-contact period to start is gorgeous. No surprise that these two would think of a way to work the crowd-at-home. This is also the only match so far which understands the value of shit talking in this dismal atmosphere. Sami repeating "Giant mistake!" only makes me think of Julia Roberts in Pretty Woman. ... And just like that this match is over. That's a shame. Sami retains the Art Deco IC belt.

Commercials! 

Kofi Kingston vs Jimmy Uso vs John Morrison in a tag team title ladder match. Hey, Morrison still has his old Faux Hendrix music. Please dear God don't let this be a typical ladder match, because taking those bumps for no one is twice as dumb. I am just shocked to see a tumbling sequence to start. This match feels the most like "watching practice" so far. Long and boring even though I skipped half. Good on them for not killing themselves.

Hey, I'm live! Oh fuck, it's Kevin Owens vs Seth Rollins. 

5 minutes ago, hammerva said:

Well Becky vs Shayna was definitely a clean finish.  And you really can't have a screw job finish in a ladder match unless there was interference by some not in the match.  the women's tag match I don't think was.  

Seth stealing Andrade's gear for some reason 

You are right, I guess I should've asked for a satisfying finish, in the sense of being a definitive "wrestler A was better and beat wrestler B".