Pro Wrestling Only

The greatest cons in wrestling history

Bix

They didn't build the show around it. It was a promo that couldn't have lasted more than two minutes. The show featured Pillman beating Liger, a Sting-Flair match, the return of Luger, Hogan beating Big Bubba, the setup for the next week's Hogan-Luger match, a Sabu promo, a V.K. Wallstreet promo, Scott Norton brawling with Randy Savage, and Mean Gene announcing some dude as a contest winner. All of this was given more attention than Hogan promoting shilling for PASTAMANIA, BROTHER.

Yes, but the point is that they ran a free show, in a foreign area, away from the companies base. They essentially tanked what could have been a very big gate, because Hulk Hogan wanted to find a way to get infomercial time and a walk up business for his spaghetto outlet store.

• Replies 345
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Mark Henry channelled a failure at the Olympis and the ability to dunk a basketball on ABC sports Saturday morning celberity shows into a massive ten year contract for the E, the majority of the time spent either sidelined with injuries, working in developmental territories or doing a largely comedic gimmick centered around his sexual fetishes, which now looks almost like an elaborate self parody of the wrestling business, and particularly his main benefactor Vince McMahon. When it finally became time for new contract negotations, Henry who was often cited as one of the biggest waste of money in wrestling history and a guy who could reasonably be passed on for renewal, had a three to four month run of very high end performances, easily the best of his career, leading to him signing a new deal..shortly thereafter he gets another severe injury sidelining him for the better part of a year. When he comes back he gets another big push, which includes a burial of the previously protected gimmick charactor Boogeyman, before Henry goes to the press in the wake of the Benoit tragedy, shooting on the drug adicted psychopaths that litter the industry that he has coasted to a nice living on, with minimal effort, work and talent.

Awesome

Guest teke184

Don't blame Hogan completely for the "First Nitro at Mall Of America" stunt...

Bischoff has a history of doing stupid shit like that that pre-dates the first Nitro.

They did Bash At The Beach 1995 at Venice Beach, CA, with no gate.

They did Hog Wild / Road Wild at Sturgis, SD, for 4 years with no gate.

The former was Hogan's gimmick home town, while the latter was done to coincide with the bike rally that the motorcycle-enthusiast Bischoff wanted to be a part of.

It wouldn't surprise me that the Nitro at Mall Of America was Bischoff's idea because it was near his hometown of Minneapolis and was known for being the biggest mall in the world at the time.

Dusty cons Jim Crockett right out of business I can't believe we've gone this far without the Dream making an appearance. Dusty gets into JCP and immediately pushes Steamboat out of the company so there's no competition for the #1 babyface, uses the Dusty finish at Starrcade 85, attaches himself to whatever hot act comes through the territory (RnR Express, Road Warriors, Sting), makes all of the heels talk about himself in their interviews no matter who they're feuding with at the time, becomes the pied piper of the face side (gotta love the Jimmy Garvin incident), pushes himself in the main events despite his increasing size, Dusty finishes in every town multiple times, burying all the UWF talent, the corporate jet, the office in Dallas, the Bunkhouse Stampede in the Meadowlands, his spite pretty much breaking up the original Horsemen, and finally wanting to put the title on Rick Steiner just to show that he could before TBS finally took over and gave him the boot.

I'm sure there's more I'm leaving out plus his cons in getting back into WCW, letting Flair walk with the belt, his booking tenure in TNA where he was surrounded by hot chicks, and back to the WWE. God bless Dusty.

Dusty finishes in every town multiple times, burying all the UWF talent, the corporate jet, the office in Dallas, the Bunkhouse Stampede in the Meadowlands

Dusty conned Jim Crockett into doing these? I thought Crockett did these on his own.

Also, it was the Nassau Coliseum, not the Meadowlands.

Here's another Nash one. Nash becomes booker. He does the bannana peel finish for Misterio. He uses this as example that he the booker does jobs so the rest of the boys should do business. He eventually takes Rey's mask rendering him Mini Konnan and then putting himself over Goldberg to end his streak. He conned a lot of the other wrestlers that he the biggest of the big would do jobs for the smallest of the small. Reality was that he put himself over even more in the end.

The time line of that is wrong. Nash did the banana peel finish with Misterio after he had beat Goldberg and took Rey's mask to attempt to divert heat away from his self indulgent booking. As a con it really wasn't that good, because I don't think it fooled the boys in the back at the time.

A better con was Hogan and Nash working an argument behind the scenes in the summer of 1998 to make Nash the champion of the boys who by that point hated the interfering, ego driven Hulkster and weren't keen on Nash either. It worked for a while, though they were too arrogant and brazen with the "finger touch of DOOM" angle to keep the con going.

The fun part of that is that Hogan, Nash and Bischoff decided to work everyone into thinking Hogan was retiring. They went pretty far with it, with Hogan going on Leno to make it legit and being "phased out" by Bischoff in favor of Nash and his vision after the disappointing Halloween Havoc '98 buyrate. It was known the whole time he would be coming back in six weeks.

Dusty finishes in every town multiple times, burying all the UWF talent, the corporate jet, the office in Dallas, the Bunkhouse Stampede in the Meadowlands

Dusty conned Jim Crockett into doing these? I thought Crockett did these on his own.

You're right about the corporate jet (since guys were flying in that territory back in the 70's that was most likely the next logical step) but I believe I read in Sex, Lies and Headlocks that Dusty convinced Crockett Jr. (tho it may not have taken much) to move the operation from N.C. to the building in Dallas since he owned a home there. Am I remembering this wrong? I gotta dig up that book.

You're right about the corporate jet (since guys were flying in that territory back in the 70's that was most likely the next logical step) but I believe I read in Sex, Lies and Headlocks that Dusty convinced Crockett Jr. (tho it may not have taken much) to move the operation from N.C. to the building in Dallas since he owned a home there. Am I remembering this wrong? I gotta dig up that book.

I'm pretty sure that the Dallas move was a result of buying the UWF, which was headquartered in Dallas after it expanded.

I'm pretty sure that the Dallas move was a result of buying the UWF, which was headquartered in Dallas after it expanded.

Yeah, it did. I just forgot to include that. It probably wasn't all Dusty's conning them to move there in hindsight as I believe Crockett Jr still lives in the area. Last I saw he was in the real estate industry.

I've lived in Savannah near Ted Turner's private family home, and now in Dallas... MAN it's tempting to go banging on doors and pleading for them to restart the wrestling war or some similar bullshit. (And yes, put me in charge. I want a "Jingus cons a millionaire into letting him run a big wrestling corporation" entry in this thread someday.)

Pat Tanaka, helper: A few years ago, Pat Tanaka was ripping off various indy guys by telling them that he was a booker for Michinoku Pro and could get them work there as long as they paid him $500 to procure a "license."

Pat Tanaka, helper: A few years ago, Pat Tanaka was ripping off various indy guys by telling them that he was a booker for Michinoku Pro and could get them work there as long as they paid him $500 to procure a "license."

I know somebody who fell for that! Man, was he pissed.

Awesome! Details please.

Slip & Fall: According to Buddy Wayne on today's Figure Four Daily, Roddy Piper & Buddy Rose once made a trip to a grocery store where one of them "accidentally" knocked a jar of mayonnaise on the floor and the other would "accidentally" slip on it, falling face-first into the broken glass while gigging various parts of his body.

Awesome! Details please.

Slip & Fall: According to Buddy Wayne on today's Figure Four Daily, Roddy Piper & Buddy Rose once made a trip to a grocery store where one of them "accidentally" knocked a jar of mayonnaise on the floor and the other would "accidentally" slip on it, falling face-first into the broken glass while gigging various parts of his body.

Yeah, that was a good story and a great F4D. I heard a similar story (maybe on the Raven/Sandman shoot) about Bill Alphonzo breaking his arm at an ECW event, then going to a nearby WAWA, pulling a bunch of cans off a shelf on top of himself, crumpling to the floor in agonizing "pain" and making them call for an ambulance so they'd have to pay for his hospital visit.

It was in Terry Funk's book, and I was about to reference it before you beat me to it. I also know that a lot of wrestlers lean hard on using any random con they can whenever eating out: it's their birthday, they found a hair/bug/piece of broken glass in their food, whatever. Sir Mo of Men on a Mission is infamous for it.

Awesome! Details please.

That's pretty much the entire story. He thought he was going to Japan through Pat Tanaka and then Tanaka skipped town with his money. I think the moral to this story is that if you're a wrestler, you should never, ever pay anybody money no matter what they claim it will do for your career.

Awesome! Details please.

That's pretty much the entire story. He thought he was going to Japan through Pat Tanaka and then Tanaka skipped town with his money. I think the moral to this story is that if you're a wrestler, you should never, ever pay anybody money no matter what they claim it will do for your career.

Well, is the guy normally this dumb?

It was in Terry Funk's book, and I was about to reference it before you beat me to it. I also know that a lot of wrestlers lean hard on using any random con they can whenever eating out: it's their birthday, they found a hair/bug/piece of broken glass in their food, whatever. Sir Mo of Men on a Mission is infamous for it.

I used to love the story about Paul E. getting Jericho a berevement fare back in 96 that was an extra on the ECW DVD until his "couisin" who "died" actually did die and took some people with him. Now its just creepy.

A fun local con is that Frankie DeFalco always gets backstage at WWE events since security thinks he's the Brooklyn Brawler.

It was New Japan

I know he actually did tours for NJPW but I always heard the scam as being Michinoku Pro.

Awesome! Details please.

Well, is the guy normally this dumb?

He was conned by Pat Tanaka, what do you think? :)